WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• dogbydog123
    dogbydog123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    More snow overnight in the Bluegrass. LoL. The kids must be living this. No school all week for Fayette County.

So I am exercising here at home. But I sure do miss the bike and classes at the Senior Center. A bunch of us Seniors who are on our own have been checking on each other in this emergency situation.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in, mostly to mark my place. I'm at work for a few hours at each job. We're supposed to get more wintry mix later this afternoon.

Dang it! I got a phone call and now I can't remember what I was going to say! Danged old age crap! :grimacing: On well, I should be home in time to write again if I remember what I was going to say.

Carol in NC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    Happy Ash Wednesday. I am working my 8 hour shift today. Then come back at 5-8pm to work a shift in the gift shop. It is volunteer and I do it once or twice a month. The pastoral staff did the ashes for our dept. Today is my first full day with no soda. So far so good. Drinking alot of water.

Sylvia--Take it slow and easy. They say it takes a good 6 weeks to recover from surgery. Love the picture. That snow you got we had yesterday morning and I agree it was so pretty coming down. Coming to work this morning was slick.

Mary MN--Thanks for the info on skin. That gives me hope. My doctor has told me that not to do anything with skin until at least two years after I reach goal.

Lesley--sending (((hugs))). It will take time.

Barbie--Your friend sounds a remarkable lady. We all need to sit back and realize every life has Blessings.

Heather--Glad you made it home with no problems. Sounds like you have a couple more outtings to look forward to.

Sharon--Sending prayers for DS and DGD. Sounds like he is doing a great job. Did he give the texts to his lawyer?

thlavallee1--Good Luck on the new job.

Selena--I checked that web site and do think I can do that. Thanks for sharing.

It is cold here today, Wind is blowing. Glad to be inside. Have a good day, ladies. One Day at a Time.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    hopefully, if its nice outside again today by the time I have to go home, I might ride home again, we'll see
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    My friend sent me this joke today. Thought I would share it with this group. After you read it, you'll know why......

Yesterday I was at Costco buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pets, BJ & Lanny. I was in the check-out line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog. (I thought what did she think I had an elephant? )

So, because I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse, I told her that no, I didn't have a dog…that I was starting the ‘Purina Diet’ again. I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a ‘Perfect Diet’ and the way that it works is, to load your pants pockets with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete (certified), so it works well and I was going to try it again.

(I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)
    Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me.

I told her no, I had stopped to pee on a fire hydrant and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Costco won't let me shop there anymore.

Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of crazy things to say.

Karen in Central Va
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Karen - That joke is so funny I sent it to my Dad. Thanks! ! ! :D
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. Got all the exercise for the day shoveling (or trying to)........so heavy with the layer of ice on top of the snow, so thick I walk on top and it's like a skating rink all over the yard. But we did get up to 33 with sun, so some melted (I hope). DH went in to work today and the stable sent the barn manager in a huge truck to pick DD up, she may be there a few days as the next two are going to be record breaking lows for here and I'm not about to try to drive those narrow farm roads with ditches on both sides when they are icy to go get her. I did send a bag of food with her so she won't starve and she can sleep in the barn office, it has a couch a couple nights if necessary. She does have to lifeguard at the pool Friday night so must find a way home for then.

So it's been just me and Gemma today. I think she was in shock when they both up and left; she hid behind my chair for a couple hrs. again but I let her alone except for carrying on a one-sided conversation and she came out and has been OK. Will try to get DD to figure out how to put a pic up of her. She came out when I shoveled willingly; I tied her to the mailbox and she seemed happy to watch me work. She's here by me on the floor on her sheepskin. DD got her a Thinsulate dog jacket with detachable fuzzy liner for outside.

I also thought of Mildred beagle giving the judges a nudge for Best in Show!

Carol (peach)........Cried over your poem. On the flashes.......there was a news story the other day that medical scientists have determined that they can last as long as 14yrs.
    I laughed, had my first at 42 and still have them at 63. No answers here; I just figure they won't kill me. But, I will say, I have had very few night sweats; a good thing.

Joyce.........Your kitty is soooooo darn cute!

Sally.......My Sat. morning yoga has some pilates mixed in and I love it.

Margaret and Mary........ I am soooooo grateful we won't have your temps or w/c; although highs only reaching 20 and lows in the single digits are awful for us....the next two days.

Michele........Safe travels!!! Wish I could stowaway.

Sharon.........Loved your dog pics. Tell son.........document, document, document!!!! Names, dates, times, witnesses. Good luck to him.

thiovallee (sp??)........Anyway, best of luck that you find the new job to your liking.

Sylvia........Loved the up in air shot of Molly. And the joke!!!

Kim........I only hit the cheapie movies whch for us are 5 to 6 dollars. I also enjoyed The Wedding Ringer.....funny!

Have a couple more notes but can't read them. Such is my life.

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Oh, shoot!!!.........Terri, pardon the pun but meant to say: your son is on a roll; yeah that was a groaner.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just a pop in to say hi. Busy day at work with a catered working lunch (900 calories!) I haven't walked yet so I'll earn back enough for dinner but no snacks tonight. Bitter cold still here in Indiana.

Have a joyful day everyone!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday and I was going to get up for my early morning 2 mile walk, but Stan said to stay in bed and start again Saturday.
    Had a lovely day out yesterday and the meal was lovely. Cheese and crackers for tea and cals only 1534 lol.
    I went to Mildred's grave when we got home and told her all about it. Said good morning to her this morning and walked around the garden she loved so much.
    I have washed all the clothes in the basket and have a pile of clothes and bed linen to iron, then finish making the spare double bed and clean house.
    Stan has gone to tip with 10 bags and will get new fly wire for dining room glass doors. Time to repair stuff Mildred left for us.
    Yes life DOES go on and I need to let go and let her rest in peace.
    lesley in Tasmania
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    More snow last night. High of 17 tomorrow. Another round is coming Fri. Then a warm up with lots of rain on Sunday and possible wintry mix again! Be careful what you wish for.
    We are iced in. Luckily no power problems as of yet.

I'm sure there are thousands of kids who are celebrating this snow event - especially those who haven't seen it here in the south. Where I grew up in Kansas it was so flat the only way we could sled was if someone's dad would let us tie on the the car bumper and be pulled. My cousins lived in a hilly area and when we visited them they always wanted me to try the sled run they had made. One very bad winter it went out onto the frozen river below their property. HOW DID WE SURVIVE CHILDHOOD?

My doctor told me hot flashes and night sweats can follow us to the grave. Just one of the joys of womanhood. I get occasional night sweats still at age 65.

Sylvia - I loved your "ideas" for doggy categories in a Mutt Championship! Hubby and I really enjoyed the joke!

Heather - glad you are back home safe and sound. I, too, will miss your travel tales.

Katla and Pip - I am envious of your lovely weather. Nice beach time and bike ride!

TNToni
    taking the OPPORTUNITY to develop patience in this winter weather

• cutec527
    cutec527 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just want to say how enjoyable it is to read and sometimes comment on everyones posts. It still amazes me how people who may never meet can have such an impact in our lives. The one big thing I've learned over the years is we never have to be alone in our struggles whether they be weight loss or life in general.
    I started on MFP almost 3 weeks ago and just found out my daughter has been doing it for quite some time. In a phone call with her last night she made me feel so good. She told me "mom don't get on that scale every day put on some of the clothes you haven't worn in awhile and you'll see a difference". I hesitate about doing that because I don't want to be disappointed but she was right because that's the true mark that what I'm trying to accomplish is working. She also had to remind me again that "muscle weighs more than fat" so really the scale number can be deceiving. Out of the mouths of babes I guess lol.
    I have also discovered that if I eat a decent ammount of protein for BK I feel so much better all day.
    And I am not going to worry so much by the fact that the scale hasn't moved in 4 days because the closer I get to the weight I want to get to the slower it may be.
    Hope everyone has an awesome day. I'm almost afraid to say that our weather here in AZ. has been in the mid 70's since there seems to be alot of you in the ice/snow/freezing cold weather. Will be thinking warm thoughts for those affected :D
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Toni, I often wonder too, how we survived. We would slide down road embankments on cardboard and slide right out onto the road. Also, we would sit inside the scoop of a shovel (we must have been pretty small to do it) and my dad or grandpa would run and shove the shovel across the frozen pond at grandpa's farm. My brother broke through the ice once and my dad went in after him. That was scary. We used to get a lot more snow when we were kids, too. At least here in Kansas. I think this year it all went to Buffalo.

Sylvia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 11.36min, 15.1amph, 3miles = 112cal

spin - 41min, 82 average revolutions per min (how fast I was pedaling), 113 average watts (power), 11-15gear, (1-24 gears) 17miles = 363cal

bike ride gym 2 train station- 6.57min 12.2amph 1.4miles = 85cal

bike ride train station 2 hm - 18.28min, 8.7amph, 2.7miles = 174cal
    total cal = 734
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Kathy Smith's Timeless Step DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD. Then we leave for FL. Vince is saying that if the weather is cold, he doesn't want to leave early. Personally, I'd rather leave earlier and get to FL earlier.

I'm planning to make some chocolate chip cookies and I'll freeze them so Vince'll have them when we get home

Kim - I hear ya about the price of movies. When we went to the movies in Reston, we actually got the senior discount. It was only 50 cents cheaper than an adult priced ticket, but that's 50 cents more in our pocket. Well, really, Kris' since he paid for the tickets. It wasn't much, but it was something. I like your goal of planning to do a fun thing each week.

Joyce - can you make, say, a full serving of gravy and then freeze part of it and only give your husband a little? That's what I do lots of times. -30, brrrrr

thlavalee - good luck on your new job. What kind of work is it?

Went to the bank, Vince needed to make a deposit for the Newcomers. Had the Newcomer board meeting, then picked up the sedatives for Bonnie & Clyde, then home and made some chocolate chip cookies to have when we get home. I'm not sure if there'll be any coming home that I'm bringing down there.

Mary - stay warm!!! I don't even want to THINK about 19 below!

socialworker
    - that's great that you're down a pound from your vacation. Hope I'm as lucky!

Terri
    - Just sayin'....don't be afraid to share that free advice!!!! Fingers crossed that your son gets that scholarship money. Glad your daughter is still exercising.

A while ago Jessica gave me some of her clothes to donate. As I was going thru the clothes, I tried on two pair of pants that fit me and one top. I can understand if she doesn't like the cut of the top, it is one of those crop-like ones. The last time we were in VA, I noticed that she'd gained a bit. She's no where near obese or anything. But I just feel so bad -- she doesn't fit into the clothes but her mother does.

katla - I find that when I exercise during the winter, my knees seem to be a bit stiffer than they are in the summertime.

antoinette - welcome!. We're leaving for the central coast of FL tomorrow. Be sure to have good weather for us!

roserex
    - you joined by posting! Be sure to bookmark this site and come back often. Just click on the star and when it turns yellow, you're bookmarked.

Vicki
    - thanks for reminding me that today starts what I'm giving up. I'm going to not eat at the computer. I can drink hot tea but no food. I was falling into a really bad habit of eating at the computer.

k2boxlady - cute joke. This is no joke -- Vince retired from Mars, Inc. (one of their products is Pedigree pet food). Did you know that all of their animal food is tasted by humans? No kidding. when Mars first introduced their dog food into Puerto Rico (no offense to anyone from PR), they couldn't get over how well the product was selling. Based on their projections of how many dogs etc., sales shouldn't have been so high. Then they found out why they were so high. People (no joke) were buying the dog food and baking it like a meatloaf.

Well, just about everything is packed in the car. Oh, there are some things that aren't, like the refrigerated items, my food to take when we stop for lunch, things like that. Liquids (we're afraid they'll freeze during the night even in the garage.)

cutec - what a smart daughter you have there

Michele in NC soon to be in FL
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    exermom: So amazed at how you answer so many people on your log. Usually I get about two people in there for the day. Can't remember names for anything else. (Wait...Did I get your name right?) Something to aspire to some day. lol

Carol in GA: If you ever find the answer to your hot/cold issues, please post it. I have the same problem.. . Stripping one moment and cuddling under the covers the next. As my 88 yr old mom says, "This getting old is not for the faint of heart...but who wants to die young?" (I don't thing it's original!)

Went to my harp lesson today. That is a fete for me because I want to back out of everything that I enjoy. (Interesting phenomenon, I know.) Anyway, my teacher is so encouraging and I really had a great lesson. Now to put it to use and master this 'baby'.

Stay strong and healthy!

Judy in PA
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thought I'd share what I found in the middle of a busy road today (this close to being hit by a car!)... no collar, terribly thin, dirty and matted. I have NO experience with teeny pooches, so any suggestions are most appreciated. I'm mainly concerned about getting a little nourishment into the little fella, but he seems mostly uninterested. Brought him home to take care of until I can find his owner. My 9 year old calls him "Bruiser" :)9ryyqfq1uffu.jpg
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good evening to all you lovely ladies.

*Heather, welcome home. What a wonderful adventure and thanks for taking time to share it with us.

*Sharon, Chico is a cutie. Sending good thoughts your way for DS’s court date.

*Joyce, you and all the others in the subzero temperatures are in my prayers. Ya’ll stay warm and safe.

*Thiavallie, good luck with the new job and I hope this opportunity is great for staying on track.

*Socialwacker, I’m glad you enjoyed your cruise as much as I did mine. You certainly did better on the weight than I did, but I’m happy to report that my gain is all gone in just 4 days. I’m sure if I hadn’t drank all those calories I probably wouldn’t have gained any but the plan was to allow that. Aren’t cruises the best?!

*Sally, Congrats on going on maintenance! That is something many of us look forward to.

*rose
    , welcome to this great group of ladies. All you have to do is visit often and post when you’d like. You will find this a great place for support and information. We are happy that you have joined us.

*Margaret
    , good news on your dentist appointment. Sounds like it should be easy for you to maintain it.

*antionette, welcome. Congrats on your loss. We are happy to have you join us.

*cutec, good for you on fitting into the clothes. That is great for so soon in your journey!

*Michele, I’m sorry for your DD, but think it’s great that you can wear some of the clothes. When she is ready, hopefully she will ask you how you lost weight.
    You were talking about people eating dog food. When my DD was about 3, we were feeding our dog and DH said, “I wonder what it tastes like?” DD quickly said, “It’s salty.” We both died laughing, knowing she had tasted some.

*Selena, Bruiser is a lucky boy that you got him. What a good person to rescue him. I hope you can find his family, if he has one.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello from cold and windy Indiana. Right now its -3 but will continue to go down. I plan on being warm and comfy when it hits -20. Had my every 2 month hair cut today. Charlie was so reluctant for me to drive there. She lives a couple miles up the interstate, about a 15 minute drive. But he was afraid the interstate wouldn't be cleared. HUH??? The snow was 2 nights ago and the interstate will be one of the first things they clear off. There was some drifting onto the highway because of the wide open spaces and wind. He said it was hard to keep the car on the road. After my appointment he said he could tell why I enjoy going there. It's just her in her house and we have known each other long enough that you never have that awkward moment in a barber/beauty shop when you don't know what to say to a stranger. Let's see Christina got married in 1998 and she did the girls hair for the wedding and I was going to her before that. You know i mentioned I had to renew my driver's license and I made sure they took a new picture. Well it came in the mail today with instructions to cut the other one in tiny pieces. well I just love to look at the difference of the two pictures that Charlie did save the picture.

Plan on staying in all day tomorrow, brrrrr

thlalalee good luck with your new job

Mary Mn so your kids are till going to school in that weather? We have been out all week. Now I don't agree with all the closings but this cold temp is worth closing it. But there are so many kids outside playing, maybe there should be school. Is it just us adutls worrying about it?

Sylvia I agree, a dog needs to look like a dog. When we had our shelty we didn't have her professionally groomed, she was bathed in the bath tub and then blow dried and brushed, and brushed, and brushed. Maybe all that dog hair down the drain is why we had plumbing problems? You mentioned yesterday that one of your dogs jumped up on your incision in your belly button. So did they do a colon resection through a mini laporoscopy??? Wow, medicine sure has changed

dogbydog it sounds like you live around Lexington, Ky. My daughter lives in Nicholasville, Ky but they are in Lexington all the time. Their church is there. We were going to be going there Friday but with all the snow and temps right now their musicla has been postponed.

Michele have fun in Florida. How long are you staying??

Selena could that be some kind of terrier? I bet he/she looks beautiful after a bath and some grooming

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone.
    Upsetting job news. More later, maybe. Am in my mental "cave" at the moment.

Selena: the lovely dog should be checked out by a vet. You might already have a vet if you have pets, or maybe the shelter can arrange it. He/she needs good care. Are you thinking of keeping it?
    Michele: my brother and I decided to taste all the dog and cat food when we were kids. Our only conclusion was that it needed salt.

Hope we all have a good day.
    Cynthia