WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday morning and WAS going for my 3 mile walk BUT Mildred beagle wanted to get on the bed for snuggles. SHE wins every time.
    Got up and had my toast and banana and did 41 minutes on Wii Gold's boxing, Jeannettes' cardio kickboxing at 11.30am, = 695 calories
    Have done my weights and measures My arms are feeling MUCH tighter and so are the legs. I go to see Brian again on Friday.
    We went to Ulverstone yesterday and I LOVE the big Woolworth's they have there and bought satay chicken for my lunch today. Food = 1785 cals.
    I wish our store in Wynyard was that big and with the selection they have.
    Pensions tomorrow so making out shopping lists.
    My FitBit Charge HRM should be here in days.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • thlavallee1
    thlavallee1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone, I am new to MFP. I have been logging for 5 days and have already lost 3 pounds. This is my first post and I am looking forward to reading everyone's posts and celebrating everyone's success with them. I am working on setting some goals for myself and will post those soon. I'm hoping with everyone's support we can can all move closer to meeting our goals! :)

Tina from New Hampshire
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Already three pages! I haven't had time today to read yet. It's been hectic. Haven't felt too well today, with headache and some chest pain. Now it's time to relax and watch Downton. I hope it's on tonight. Not sure since it's Super Bowl day.

Renny, that was a BEAUTIFUL photo of the heron. Thanks.

Good night everyone.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Sally, great video. I can’t even get a picture to paste on here, how do you do it?

*Sharon, what fun. A Frozen party for a 5 yr old.  I’ll bet there are lots of those this year.

*Mary, I am not familiar with the movie, but will have to see if I can find it. Unfortunately, when I lose weight it came off face and boobs first. The face I like, but now boobs are undersized for the rest of me. You know, you could just share some if the girls are a touch too big.  

*peachstategal, I love all the quotes too. It is amazing how many times I think of one or another. Isn’t this the greatest group of women! And Barbie, I do like that one too, about Dancing like no one is watching. 

*Betti, I wish I felt as confident as you for no weight gain on my cruise. I’ll be mindful of what I eat, but will probably eat a few things that I normally don’t. I do plan to check out the gym along with staying active. I wish us both luck.

*Sue, I don’t know if it will help you or not, but to be sure I get my water intake, I get a big glass of water to have every time I sit down at my computer. I check in here and email, normally 3 times a day. If the water is not gone when I get up from the computer, I try to drink down as much as I can before I start a new project.

*Spedangie, I love your determination!!! And I could see my old self in your words about the things we used to eat. Looking up the calories in food before I put it in my mouth has totally changed what I am willing to eat. I use to looveeee donuts, but never give them a thought now and you couldn’t pay me to eat that many calories for such a short moment of satisfaction. I’m sure you will be fit and trim for your trip to ARK. 

*Barb(LA), so good to hear from you and what a wonderful trip! Good for you in keeping calories in check and resisting donuts. You mentioned a very important word in our journey, disciplined. So proud of you and hope to follow in your footsteps.

*Jean, welcome and know that many of us do this without steps. Just find some way to exercise when you get home. I’m sure they wouldn’t want to see you doing jumping jacks and leg kicks behind the teller counter. It’s all about calories in vrs calories burned. You can do this.

*Renny, Beautiful picture.

*Tina, welcome and best of luck on your journey.

*Welcome to any New ladies that I missed. This is a wonderful place for support and information. Please come often and post a name or nic at the bottom of your post, so it’s easier to reply to you. We are happy to have you join us.

My word for now is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    But, I also like opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Red94568
    Red94568 Posts: 36 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

Have some down time while my daughters team is reffing the final match of the weekend. Players and families are all exhausted! My daughter was awesome.... Until the last match.... I'm quite biased. :) Me, I'm a little more tired than the players.... hey! I'm 50, they are 16!

Ran 4 miles today at 12:46 pace!!!! BEST ever for that distance! And, have walked another 4 miles on top of that! Great start of the month!

Goals for Feb:

Run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. (*)
    Walk 10k EVERYday, or more!
    Eat breakfast timely each day. o:)
    Drink less coffee. :p
    Go to bed at reasonable times hoping for more than 5-6 hrs of sleep. ;)

Time to enjoy my planned nonfat vanilla frap.....

Red
    Dublin, CA, USA

• Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So, school already cancelled for tomorrow:(
    It's the ice, not snow in southeastern CT that causes upheaval! So after "Super bowl" munchies(did better than I thought), now I'll be home bound with leftovers calling me. Ugh!!!

Plenty of veggies, if I can stay focused!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    Red94568 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies!

Have some down time while my daughters team is reffing the final match of the weekend. Players and families are all exhausted! My daughter was awesome.... Until the last match.... I'm quite biased. :) Me, I'm a little more tired than the players.... hey! I'm 50, they are 16!

Ran 4 miles today at 12:46 pace!!!! BEST ever for that distance! And, have walked another 4 miles on top of that! Great start of the month!

Goals for Feb:

Run 3-4 miles 3-4 times a week. (*)
    Walk 10k EVERYday, or more!
    Eat breakfast timely each day. o:)
    Drink less coffee. :p
    Go to bed at reasonable times hoping for more than 5-6 hrs of sleep. ;)

Time to enjoy my planned nonfat vanilla frap.....

Red
    Dublin, CA, USA

Way to go!! Congrats on that run!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Halftime at the Super Bowl. I put the small knitted hat with the row of 12's on the front of the exercise bike. I wore each of the other hats while walking dogs earlier. We have a DVR so we recorded the game and are able to pause when necessary for potty breaks and dog walking.

smiley-happy110.gif Something that really helped me on this journey was finding out that I am an "abstainer" which means that "none is better than one"....I stay away from all foods that entice me into eating more. The list continues to grow and I eat only those food that I can eat in moderation. Other people are moderators and can have a small portion or bite of something and can eat everything in moderation. When I think of buying a loaf of bread, I don't think of having a sandwich or a slice of bread, I think of eating the whole loaf preferably with butter and peanut butter. If I don't have the first bite I'm fine and I feel no loss at the prospect of life without bread (or any of the many things that are one my abstinence list.)

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    MMin MD: To find us over and over click on the little star at the top of this page. It will turn yellow. The next time you come to MFP go to Community and click on the gray star on the right side of the page. We’ll be part of a list. Click on Women 50+ for February and you’re here.

Yanniejannie: Thanks for your congratulations. I don’t feel as though I’ve mastered the two-point balance yet, but I’m excited to be working on it. My leg muscles are getting stronger bit by bit, but I have serious work to do with my body position over the saddle.

Twhitehead: I use a stationary trike to exercise. It is a real street trike that I’ve put onto a trainer in my garage. Mine is a trike rather than a bike so DH and I can ride together. He can’t balance a two-wheeled bike any more due to MS, so we both ride terra-trikes. There are trainers for bikes, too. Bikes and trikes are easier on the knees than walking.

Sassy aus Austria: Losing 4 pounds in a month is excellent progress. Congratulations! Keep up the good work. My grandma was from a little village somewhere in the general vicinity of Innsbruck. She came to the US as a girl right around 1900.

SueBDew from TX: Your goals look wonderful.

Spedangle: I love your mantra, “Never underestimate the power of a determined woman.” It is so true. Welcome to a great group.

Deb: You’ve found a supportive group, and a few of us are from Oregon & SW Washington. I’m sorry to hear that your husband has health problems.

Beth in WNY: I love your goals and resolutions for the month. I think you’re on a good path.

Kim: One of the best aspects of my riding lessons is that I am learning new things. I had gotten into a real rut and this has become an invigorating blast of fresh air in my life. It doesn't hurt that I was a horse crazy little girl and am finally able to do something about it. I think that having fun and trying new things are great strategies for good health and for happiness.

Renny: I love the photo of the heron.

Celticred48: I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad time recently. I hope the shingles are done and you’re feeling a bit better. If you live in a safe place, the easiest exercise for most of us is walking. It would be a good way to start.

I have spent this whole day sitting, except for a run to the pharmacy for medicine for DH. I guess I needed a day of rest. Tomorrow I’m looking forward to spending the morning at the gym working on core strength and taking yoga. I also have an appointment with a trainer to learn how to use the various pieces of equipment in the machine room. The gym experience is part of my efforts to try new things. I have to admit I was pushed into it because my yoga teacher moved into a new career and I needed to find another place to take yoga classes.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Checking in for February. o:)

Thanks Barbie.

I'm going to try to make better food choices this month and walk more.

Sue in TN
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good Evening dear ladies!

I am yet again stuck at work tonight trying to unravel a mess with one of my classes. The data is doing really flakey things and I will need to get some help. One of our experts in the UK should be into work in a couple of hours and maybe he can point me in a better direction.

Janet: to get the utube video to show up I just copied the url from the browser window and pasted it directly into the message.

Red: Major congrats on the 4miles @ 12:46. I can currently only do 5K, so getting that extra mile is really impressive to me.

Pip: Sounds like you had a wonderful time at your spin class. Did you ride the bike back and forth to the gym, too????

Barbie: Let me add my thanks for you continuing the thread. I so enjoy this bunch of people. I love your hats. Makes me wish I had time to knit again.

Katla: Congrats on starting two-point. I rode hunter/jumpers as a kid. That will really build up your core.

Grandmallie: Have you considered replacing the bathroom vanity with a pedestal sink? You lose the storage space but it should be easier to find one to fit in your space.

Went clothes shopping with two friends today. Basically, one person played tour guide for the two of us who had lost a ton of weight and needed nice clothes that didn't look we stole them from our older brother! I found two adorable dresses. One will make a perfect Mother-of-the-bride dress for my daughter’s wedding over July 4th. The other will be perfect for the rehearsal dinner. I also got two skorts for running/agility/etc. I thought I was too old to pull off a skort but they are very well cut and flattering. The funny thing is that the three of us ended buying the same skort and it was very flattering on each of our three very different body types. It was amazing to be able to casually tell the sale people who were trying to help --- find me a small!!

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

oNgvm8.png

jkBTm8.png

kD1Xm8.png

vatbm8.png

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good evening all -

Not much time to respond to individuals tonight. Needed a pain pill for my back tonight. I love my work but my body is still "adjusting". Hope it gets in gear soon!

Barbie - thanks so much for keeping us going.

Congratulations to those with celebrations, 4 miles, swim suits, and size smalls, etc!

I love this group. Your ideas and encouragement get me through my day. I enjoy hearing about your adventures, families, and activities. I view this thread as a real blessing and an OPPORTUNITY for me each day.

Specific February Goals
    1. Log every bite and sip
    2. Take my blood pressure each day (and record it)
    3. Write, phone, or email at least 2 loved ones/friends each week.
    4. Remember to "Let it go!"

Toni in rainy middle Tennessee
    51 pounds to maintenance
    Gratitude for the past - Strength for the present - Faith for the future
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of 30 Day Butt Lift DVD. I found that if I do certain days, I only need to do two days in order to get an hour's workout in. I'm going to try two different days next week.

The plan for tomorrow is to do two segments in the "Fit in a Flash" DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.qd7k8wnuoj13.jpg
    370slts49ofz.jpg

Joyce - I like bold, vivid colors too.

Sally
    - hmmmm...purple back...see, I'm not the kind of person who can think of these things, great suggestion! Loved the video

Sharon in Alberta
    - WTG on winning that blender! I need a new one, just waiting for it to go on sale

strawbC - welcome! You've come to a great group. We'll all help to keep you accountable.

Heather
    - I never get my money's worth at an all-you-can-eat buffet, either. The thing I do like about it is that you can pick what and how much of the food you get.

DeeDee - been missing you!

Betti
    - Wow! 90 years old. Have fun at the party. Good luck to you on that cruise. You CAN do it!

Cindy
    - welcome to a group of the most supportive women you'll ever find

yanniejannie - have a great mini-vacation, sounds like so much fun

julieferraro - welcome, you'll get lots of help and suggestions here, that's for sure

Sassy - woohoo finishing up the physio. You're on your way, now! And to have lost 5 lbs -- wonderful

Jean from Wayne, NJ - I must have missed your post! I grew up in clifton. Remember when Willowbrook was pig farms! Glad to have ya with us. Had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the Manor.

Kim - I'll check to see if there are metallic paints there. I know that they have some that you paint on and when the item is fired the paints make spots. That's cool, too I'll check to see if any of the paints are metallic

celticred
    - I'm so sorry you're not feeling totally yourself right now. Tell us more about yourself, are you in Ecuador for a short or long time, what brought you there?

Tina from NH - welcome! How's your weather? Cold, I bet

Sylvia
    - sending you virtual chicken soup. I do hope Downton was on

Red
    - congrats on the run

Almost forgot that I was supposed to usher at the Green Room today so I went around 2. First made a granola cake to put in the freezer for Rumikub which will be at my house this month. Made 2 cakes. Then after the green Room went to WalMart. Made some stuffed cabbage for the gal who is having the eye surgery. She'll probably be out of work for a few days and I know that money is pretty tight for her, so hopefully, she can have the stuffed cabbage. I admit that I did try to overstuff them since I suspect meat might be on the extra side for her (meaning she probably doesn't buy it much)

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Thought the pics of the pool would come at the end, don't know why they're in the middle of my post. Anyway, the one is of the upper patio and the other is the pool itself.

Michele in NC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot.... It's been a busy day ...and I must go to bed , I have work tomorrow and 5 a.m. comes early..

Take care everyone
    Lillian in Saskatchewan
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Love all the pictures and I think it is great some of us were able to get together.
    Time for bed.
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Finally finished yesterdays and todays pages. But I didn't take any notes :( Lots of newcomers again. When I started here that diary was my friend, telling me the unfortunate things I was really eating. It really was a learning tool. And if you are wanting to see how you are doing with different macronutrients you can go to settings and select exactly what you want your diary to show for you. I was really interested in finding out how much fiber so I made sure that is there. I hvae a problem with not getting enough sodium so I check that and being a diabetic I have to make sure I keep track of my carbohydrates and sugars. Play around with it and find out how you like it. And don't get discouraged after that first wonderful week.

Allison have you looked at salvage yards to see if you could find some cabinets from an older home. Not only would it satisfy your needs but it might even ofer the house some character.

Our church is like many who have a chili dinner during the super bowl. But we have ours right after morning service and services are cancelled in the evening. It was billed as chili/soup cook off. So I found some home made chicken noodle soup which was realy good. I didn't eat all the broth. It didn't taste overly salty but I have no idea whether she used low sodium broth in it or how she cooked it at all. They also had sandwiches so I took half of a pimento cheese sandwich. And of course a small brownie made it's way onto my plate. Don't know how that happened :D My good friend there made sure that she found a good size margarine container that I could take home some chili to Charlie. I had told him if he wanted some that he could join me. But that would mean him stepping a foot into a church and socializing with people he doesn't know. So he has a big bowl of chili, 1 and 1/2 sandwiches and 2 cookies for tomorrow lunch.

Didn't want to watch the super bowl, did watch some of the kitten bowl on Hallmark. We have Directv and love it when they offer free premium station weekends and we load up on movies during that time. So we watched gravity. I don't think I have ever seen a movie where there were only 2 people listed as acting. Really enjoyed watching it plus I kept
    Charlie from channel surfing for two hours!

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Heather UK - I will be waiting for some stories from your newest adventure. Remember
    Remember to Live, Love and Laugh

Barbie - I am so grateful to you for this forum and that you carry it forward every month.

Yanniejannie - The buy of the day reminded me of living in the Okanogan when times were tough. My son was playing basketball across from a store that had 1 lb ground beef chubs for .99 each/limit of 2. My parents, brother and sis-in-law were visiting I sent each and every one of them over to get chubs. We had a lot of ground beef based meals for a month. My brother went 4x for me.

Sassy aus Austria - You must be pleasantly surprised to find you had dropped 5 lbs. Good for you!!

Sylvia - I hope you fee better very soon. Are you worried about the chest pain?

Thanks to all for your thoughts about DS and the situation. I feel bad for DGD, having your parents split up is terrible. We are trying to keep things as routine as possible for her. We went to Walmart to pick her up a few things as everything left was either 2 sizes too small or 2 sizes too big. I am glad we had the Frozen party to distract her.

The Frozen party was a hit. DD did an excellent job of decorating both the house and the cake. DGD was very pleased with her presents. It was quite funny that her long time friend Ty would not eat a piece of cake because it was a girl's cake. That was fun for today.

Maybe posting my goals every day will motivate and focus me.

Feb. goals
    1. Check blood sugar 1x/day
    2. Eat more salad
    3. Strength train 1-2x/wk
    4. Plan ahead for eating
    5. Reconnect with friends
    6. Compliment 1 person sincerely each day.

Sharon from Alberta
    signing off
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Ooops just remembered my collegue Jane is on holiday today so I need to get to work earlier this morning.
    Going to to my exercises and then if I have time I'll be back, if not I hope to catch you all tonight.
    Bye for now <3

Viv York UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    Joyce,CrazyDogLady~ DH is very very fussy when it comes to what he wants..No to pedestal sink, he hates those, and he doesn't like say Habitat for Humanity Restore,he wants a new white vanity, no modern,plain white,with a square sink.. although this weekend we went twice to sears outlet looking for a wall oven, ours was original to the house and the opening is tiny compared to new home construction.. the size we need is 24", and we are doing stainless steel, the cheapest one we could find was 1300.00 really? you know we wont be buying that.. but I had a dream last night that we could make that opening into a roll out to store say crock pot,blender ,the larger appliances,or pots and pans, I keep all my baking pans in the oven...
    we are getting more snow and ice today..
    twhitehead7-what part of Connecticut are you in?