WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    I have done some emotional healing this month so stopped doing anything that felt like a chore. I enjoy this site but don't want it to become a chore. When I fell that it is something I "have" to do, I stop for a while. I did better this month than last on my goals but still have not lost any weight. I hope I will be more apt to post next month. This is the best thread I have ever found. More next time.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Hi, ladies.

Terri, I’m glad the shots are behind you and looking forward to the report that the pain is gone. And thanks for the info on lengths on the bands.

Cindy, I’ll give you a gold star for how well you did on your goals. (*) Congrats on the weight loss and keep up the good work.

Selena, let me offer you an early, “Happy Birthday”. And yes, you are at a wonderful and young age. Have the time of your life.

DeeDee
    , I do love living at the beach and have mellowed enough at my ripe age, that I don’t let the tourists bother me….well except maybe for their driving. LOL Thanks for the beautiful picture of your snow. I’m just as happy that we didn’t get any. B)

I have to tell about a choice that I made. (Like it’s going to make it better?) DH and I had a day date today and part of it was lunch at Denny’s. I had pretty much planned on having breakfast for lunch and boy did I. I ordered the Cinnamon Pancakes that came with two eggs, hash browns and bacon or sausage. I ordered the pancake toppings on the side and did only eat the cinnamon topping. OMG, I did savor every bite. I just love cinnamon!! I only had two bites of the hash browns and gave the rest to DH. I didn’t touch the syrup or cream cheese icing so I thought that was pretty good? Best I can calculate I had 630 calories. Yes, I can fit it into today’s calorie budget, but I know there were things with considerably lower carbs, even at Denny’s. I don’t do this sort of thing every month, but I have to say I totally enjoyed it and now I’ve had my sweet fix for a while.
    After lunch we went to Walmart so I could look for new resistance bands. I got a short one and a long one both with handles and picked up a couple of weights as well. Now I’m off to use my new equipment to try and offset some of the damage from lunch.

Have a great day, ladies.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pipcd34: I don’t blame you for quitting the “Women’s Group.” Oftentimes well-meaning people make big mistakes in situations like that unless there is some professional supervision. I think of it as a pseudo therapy group. I would avoid them, too. I suspect you’ll do a great job in your spin class. :flowerforyou:

Janit: Parsnips taste like carrots with a hint of turnip. My mom used to cut parsnips into strips and fry them. They tasted great to me. I think she sprinkled mine with cinnamon sugar, and I STILL would eat almost anything with cinnamon sugar on it. We’ve used them in Chinese style stir-fry dishes, and I often use parsnips in soup. They don't dominate the flavor of the soup unless you put too many in. They’re quite nutritious. Thanks for the great cartoon. I think you did a great job at Denny’s.

Sylvia: I love the bicycle story/joke.

Cindy in S MD: You’ve had a stunningly successful first month. Congratulations!

Selena: You’re wise for someone so young. It took me a decade longer to wise up and start to take care of myself. :wink:

DeeDee: I love the new picture! Thanks for mentioning DH and the gym. I went in for my classes today, and he came in on his own later and did his exercise routine. I am so pleased. I hope it becomes a habit.

Rita: Thanks for stopping by. Post when you can.

DS is coming for the weekend. He plans to get his boat out of the storage unit and take it in for bottom paint. We’ve been paying to store the thing for him for about four years. Maybe more. I hope he’ll eventually take it home and get some use out of it. It will likely come back to the storage unit with the new paint on the bottom for the next little while. We’d be thrilled if he’d take it home, but I doubt that will happen right away.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hello, all........let's see if I can get this one posted before losing it; given up the last two days. The sun is out, the temp today reached 40 and the snow is melting; the roads aren't half bad. Lost both electric and satellite dish for a few hours with the last storm.

Biggest news today is that DH "lost" his new phone this morning.........honestly, he's probably the last person in the world to get one and he "Knew" just where he put it last night. ACK!!! Everybody got blamed, even the poor dog! Disaster! Drama worthy of a teenage girl!!! Who took it??? Where was it????? ........ In the car; he never even brought it in the house last night. I said that he didn't need anything else to lose when he started making "buying a phone" noises at Christmas; the wonder is that this is the first he's lost it. SMH.

Days ago on here, we talked about Martingayle collars.......they are the recommended collar for use on basenjis by BRAT........basenji rescue and transport, a long established and expert group. Also given the thumbs up by several other basenji groups. Described as a choke collar with out the choke. They are easy to find if you google them, in all colors and sizes. I don't think they stop pulling but they are far more comfortable for dogs with a strong "prey" chase instinct because they evenly distribute the pressure on the throat of the dog. Also for whippets and salukis. I guess anyone could use one if they wanted to. Gemma seems to like hers; we only put it on to go out.

Sylvia........When I encounter someone like you did, I draw myself up as tall as I can, look down my nose, and say "Really? You reeeaaallllyyyy believe that?" in a voice infused with scorn and disbelief. I don't get drawn in, because, as we all agreed, you can't fix stupid, but tell them we are going to just have to agree to disagree. It leaves no question about where I stand w/o a useless discussion with someone I don't want to speak with in the frst place.

Margaret........Add me to the list of those pulling for your niece and the baby.

Katla.......I can't think of why your neighbor would object now that she is established in the class if you "did your own thing".

Alison........Chin up! You don't need her company or approval or friendship. Mean people "get theirs" sooner or later.

Cindy...........Doing fine!!!

terri........May the shots make your life more comfortable!

Selena...........Happy, happy birthday to you!!!

Hello to everyone I missed!
    Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

PS RIP Leonard Nimoy.......as Mr. Spock: "Change is the essential process of all existence."

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi my dear friends. I am trying to recover from the 2 worst days I have ever had at work in my life....drama, drama, drama. I just not have had the energy to do more than sleep when I get home!

Interesting news to report....that expensive blood test we did on Benny that got shipped out to Nashville then iced in at Fed Ex does show he has atypical Cushings disease...which explains why he pees about every 4 hours! Just in time; yesterday he piddled into a power strip, which knocked out the power to an entire floor of our house. Can't believe he didn't electrocute himself! Our carpets are saved! So, more tomorrow; lots of drama again today and hectic, craziness....but now all is well, but I need a nap! Take care all Meg from sunny Omaha
  • thlavallee1
    thlavallee1 Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So proud of myself today. A young man I work with at my new job brings in AMAZING fresh donuts from his families' local bakery every Friday and I took a look at them and every though they looked delicious decided it wasn't worth the extra calories. I'll stick with my Acai bowl. .

My February goals:

1. Log everything I eat every day
    2. Exercise 4 times a week
    3. Drink less coffee (with less sugar)
    4. Eat a salad every day
    5. Eliminate as much meat as possible from my diet (for medical reasons not a philosophical statement)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]75698249.png[/url]
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday here and weigh/tape/BF% for Tom. Total weight same as last week BUT lost 0.38 Kg fat and gained 0.38 KG lean and lost 3.5 inches in a week. Happy with that.
    Have done Wii boxing and soon to do Jeannette's Bikini boot-camp 1.
    Food = 1802 cals.
    Making beef bourguignon in crock pot for dinner, Chinese yum cha for lunch

Yesterday we thoroughly cleaned the lounge room, vacced and shampooed carpet, walls washed, curtains washed and re-hung. Cleaning leather lounge suit this afternoon.

Yesterday I walked round garden and our tracks and SO quiet without Mildred beagle. I am sleeping much better now at least and NOT crying now even at her grave.

I stopped seeing "Mrs Nasty Pants" 2 months ago and I feel MORE centred and in control now. She really is toxic and feel sorry for her husband who we both like

Lesley in Tasmania
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    DAMNIT YOU CRACK ME UP! love your breakfast choice.. i would have smelled the hell out of it, that would have been enough for me lololol
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Good evening,

Sylvia love the jokes. Always up for a good laugh.

Selena loved what Heather said 52 years young. Happy Birthday. :flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie thanks for your support.

Deedee OH MY! It looks like Minnesota. I am glad the garden pictures cheered you up.

Loved those llamas running wild. Hope it was not too stressful for them.

My vote on the dress is gold and white. Why that became such a topic is interesting. I like what woman said it we like to be right. Sometimes I need to remind myself do I want to be right or happy. One of the many self help books I have read talked about that. It is not always possible to be both.

I loved what Leonard Nimoy said In my heart Is a seed of a tree Which will be me . He also wrote a poem about how about: The wonderful moments in life are like a garden in that the way they live on is through our memories. He had a poets soul and I know it now.

I can't remember who was having dishwasher problems. We just spent the day fixing ours. We had a repairman come out and suggested it was time for a new one. It is fifteen years old. DH decided to take it apart after watching a U-tube video suggesting the problem may be there is too much junk in the part by the garbage disposal of the dishwasher. Sure enough we found chicken bones, pitastios shells, cherry pits, and some avocado skin. All foods of course I like to eat. After a good afternoon of taking it apart and putting it back together it appears to be working again. There was no water coming out on the top rack. Unfortunately my DH has been sick for a of week now. Partly because of the dishwasher not working I am not feeling the best today.

The plus is I do not have much appetite.

The first thing I recommend if you do decide to take yours apart is to take pictures before you take it apart. That would have saved us at least an hour in time and frustration. I also recommend when you are dealing with the small screws inside the dishwasher to lay down paper towels in case the screws fall when you are taking them out or replacing them. Fortunately that did not happen, but I could see it happening if we did not take precautions.

2015 word: Strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you need to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.36min, 14.1amph, 3miles - 99cal
    stairclimber - 30minutes, 4.8flpmin, 182aw, 147floors, 1483ft - 301cal
    bike ride gym 2 train station- 6.57min 12.4amph 1.4miles - 99cal
    bike ride train station 2 hm - 18.09min, 8.8amph, 2.7miles - 197cal, Hvy bag, Windy!
    total cal 696
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Traumatic day at work today. I over-did carbs again this evening. This weekend, my words are savor and control. My knees already feel better, a little spongy and tight, but that is a good sign. Yes, cortisone. He also removed a tiny cyst from between my eyes. That was "funny", because I am 5'2" and the Doc is 6'4", so his hands are bigger than my head. It was comforting to have him cradle my head and do a procedure on my face at the same time. I already took my night-time meds, so I need to head to bed, before I can't get there on my own and DH has to carry me. haha !!! :o

Good Night and Hugs to Everyone! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Barbiecat - she is a friend and i wouldn't do that to her because i value that friendship. her trying to keep me there won't work and if she doesn't like my reason, that won't matter either. i'm just doing this because if the tables were turned, i would want her to do the same
    -

:D pip, I hope my answer didn't offend you.....I was just sharing what works for me with other people......without all the details, I'm just guessing.....you know best what will work with your friends.

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Tomorrow (Saturday) is the last day of February so I'll be preparing the new thread for March. Be watching for it at the end of my day (about 6PM PST). This is a good time to plan your goals and resolutions for March. Some of us use the same ones each month and some plan new ones. Some have weight loss goals and some have ones that relate to habits, behaviours, and attitudes.

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison, I am the type of person that kind of lets things flow right off of me. I refuse to let some one else have power over me. You letting your co-worker get the best of you is letting her have that power.

Sylvia, that repairman is scary. To think he had that much fire power in a cache. I agree with the others, I wouldn't have gotten into a conversation about it with him. But i also would not have ever let him in my house again. Youa re right, he is a bigot to the nth degree. Just down right scary.

Happy birthday Selena, mine is next week on the 3rd. But I'll be 65. Don't feel it, don'w look like it and proud of it. My youngest daughter still loves to have me go to haunted houses at Halloween just because I have so much fun. I remember one of the first I went to and I thought all those figures that looked like humans were just props. So when I came up to one of them I kind of cupped a feel of him, well you know where. I very quickly found out that he wasn't a prop. Maybe that's why the people at haunted houses don't scare me. I know they are just people.

Cindy, I would say you had a wonderful month! Congratulations.

Getting up quite early for me tomorrow, 8:30 AM!!!! Going to leave to go see daughter and family outside of Lexington, Ky. Oldest grand daughter is in a musical tomorrow evening. I am really upset at he director. I know it is a volunteer job for her. She is the music teacher for the high school and volunteers to do things with the middle school. But hse kept putting off when the performance date is for the musical. Then changed the day and time of it 3 times. I know there may have been extenuating circumstances with all the snow and they are having the middle school musical in the high school. So the whole story may never be known to the parents. But she just seems very disorganized, and Trinity has her for 4 more years and this woman gives Trinity vocal and piano lessons. Trinity wants a career on Broadway so this woman is helping to mold Trinity in her chosen profession. I know a 13 year old really doesn't know what she wants to do but still this woman is molding kids into a very disorganized way of thinking. I saw the newspaper clipping on face book and my dear young grand daughter has developed a bit more since we last saw her 2 months ago. I was always real proud of her that she was a preteen and not showing any sings of low self esteem that she was a tall beanpole! But she is quite lovely, naturally wavy hair, tall, beautiful legs. She is on the track team and does cross country. She isn't good at it but the reason the coach loves to have her on the team is how motivational she is, especially to those other kids at the back of the track.

Sun has been out today and melted quite a bit more snow and ice. We live in a bi-level and the sun is behind us so our front yard is always the last to melt. Some of the yards around us still looks like a glisteny ice rink.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Selena! I hope that you have a fun day celebrating!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Barbiecat- no offense taken. :0)
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wow! Feb flew away! Glad to share am down nearly 2 kgs approx 4 lbs. The secret trick : started on vit D sachets once a week. Yoga is back in my life. Remember to deep breathe a couple of times daily.
    Best wishes to all. Unfortunately no time even to skim, so just glanced through this page.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wow! Feb flew away! Glad to share am down nearly 2 kgs approx 4 lbs. The secret trick : started on vit D sachets once a week. Yoga is back in my life. Remember to deep breathe a couple of times daily.
    Best wishes to all. Unfortunately no time even to skim, so just glanced through this page.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Mary- Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to look into it. Started eating my protein first so we will see if that makes a difference.

Sylvia - Never hire that repair man again. My niece's boy friend can be quite prejudiced. He used the N word in my house and I told him to never do it again. He turned to my niece and said "I guess I'll need a dictionary of all the words I can't use in this house." Not necessary, I will let him know. I am sorry you were subjected to that.
    Thanks for the daily joke. Laughter is the best medicine.

Janet - How nice to have a day date. I'm sure your Denny's dining fits in the 80/20 rule. The Denny's dining fits in the 80/20 rule. It is okay to indulge at times.

Selena - Happy Birthday to you! This might sound strange but one of my favourite birthdays was the big 5-0

Meg - I am so sorry that you have to endure all the drama at your work place. Here's hoping it resolves soon. So sorry to hear that Benny has Cushings disease.

Joyce - Enjoy the musical and your DGD.

Busy day today. I am being convinced that She is completely Bat S_ _ t Crazy. Thank you all for your kind words. DS is doing everything right as far as I can see. DGD was the star of the show and seems to be so happy to be with us.
    Today I cooked real food and chose better than usual. I am itching for warm weather so I can do more walking and take Sparkle Orange out of storage. I have a group on facebook called Walking About where people can post where and when they are walking and others can join them.

Good night all
    - Sharon in Lethbridge where it could be much warmer.