WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - glad to hear about your incision not being too worry some for your Dr. Take care of your angina glad you had the nitro and are feeling better.

Janet Myrtle Beach - I am glad that you did not get too hurt from your band breaking! I have never bought one before I only got them included with a DVD or exercise program. I think of your #1 word often when I am having a little treat! It really makes a difference.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in Central VA: Everyone hits plateaus when you do everything you should and the weight doesn’t budge. Keeping up the good work eventually results in lost pounds. If you aren't on a plateau, I wonder whether your food logs are accurate. Do you weigh & measure food, or guesstimate? Guestimating didn’t work for me so I measure things even now that I’m maintaining. I use food scales or measuring cups, depending on what makes sense. Have you looked at things like sodium that can cause water retention? Drinking more water can help deal with water retention by flushing out sodium. Move more, whether you do tapes, ride a bike, dance in front of the TV or go to the gym, exercise will speed up your metabolism and help burn calories. Last and best advice is to log every bite and swallow. If you look at my February goals at the bottom of my post, you see my keys to success. My February goals are always my goals. They work for me. Find the things that work for you. Sometimes it takes trial and error to find out what they are.

MAB: The dogs and people in your group are achieving success. Congratulations!

Barbie: I feel younger than when I started on MFP, too. I have a more optimistic outlook, and my body is healthier.

Sylvia: I’m happy that you don’t have to worry about your incision just now.

I went to Zumba with my neighbor, came home and had a long nap. I’m not usually a napper. I really don’t enjoy Zumba because of my knee, but love spending time with my neighbor. I’m thinking of going with her and then riding a bike or using the equipment room while she does Zumba. Advice welcome!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    MNMARGARET - my DH and I are still keeping your niece and family in our prayers. (((Hugs)))

Mary from Minnesota
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - I went about 5 weeks at the beginning of this journey without losing weight. I do 1200 cal and sometimes add back 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories. Now that I am losing it is very slow ( about 1/2 lb per week average). Just keep doing good work. It will pay off eventually. Weigh and measure everything. Also - avoid processed foods and eat as "clean" as you can. They say clean food is a food with one ingredient.

Katla - I think you should do your own workout while your friend does zumba. Keeping her company going and coming is probably encouragement enough for her now that she is used to the routine. After all, it's not like we visit with each other while we do a class like zumba. See what she thinks.

MNMargaret - your niece is in my prayers as well. Please let us know how she is doing.

It's time to go to bed, curl up with Shirley my cat, and read my book.

TN Toni
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tonight I didn't take any notes as I was reading since I have a bad headache. I think I am fretting to much over going to grand daughter's musical this weekend. Some one was talking about cleaning out the pantry and finding many things that were outdated. When I cleaned my spice cabinet out I found spices that had price labels on them! How long has it been that everything has bar codes. It's amazing how things taste differently when you are using up to date items when you cook them.

I think it was Michele that said she wished I could go with her to the doctor because of my background. Just like any other profession, if you don't keep up with things you lose track of what is going on. I graduated from nursing school in 197. My orthopedic, maternity, pediatric, some neurology, cancer and psychiatric knowledge is gone. Anything new in those fields I didn't learn. I of course had to keep current in cardiac nursing but that is the only thing. I am afraid that if my sister does have to have surgery on her carotid artery I will have all these worries and concerns because they will be doing the surgery differently. When I was working, those patients had a one day stay in the ICU. I'm sure they don't now. Shoot, you go home just a few days after open heart surgery now. Just dreadful. Like with Sylvia's surgery, I had no idea they could do a colon surgery through the belly button method. People would start asking me questions when I was a freshman in nursing school. I hadn't even started studying that yet. People think if you are a nursing student you know everything. Ok, rant over with.

I have to make a reminder for myself to take a picture of some of the cross stitch things I have done. One of my favorite things I did was make a quilt. We had a locally owned small craft store that had counted cross stitch quilt blocks. My Mom and sister bought some for my birthday and then I bought the rest to make a queen size quilt. It came with a suggested quilting pattern with it but I didn't like it. So I designed my own. Also I didn't like the colors that they had so I used my own. I needed it to go with my bedroom.

Night, night, Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Gillian - Welcome and I'm glad to hear everyone is behind you. Support systems are so important for us. Post when you feel ready.

Alison - Ouch! Hope you aren't too sore.

Janet - Willpower. Mine deserts me completely when faced with a favourite. My intention is always to have just a bite or two and then it's gone, gone, gone.
    I've never had a band break. You Must be stronger than you think.

Mary - I have questions for you. Were you doing the same amount of activity before you started the 8 hour diet? Are you not hungry in the morning? Does it matter which 8 hour window you choose?
    Very interesting about eating the protein first, I usually eat it last. I am going to change that.

It was cold here today but no snow and the sun was shining. I'm hoping it warms up for the weekend since I have it off. Saturday would have been my Mom's birthday so if the weather cooperates I plan on making the hour trek to my brother's house. We will go to the cemetery to check on Mom and Dad, play either cards, crib or a board game and then share a meal. Mom always loved that kind of day.
    DS ran into another problem with Her. She texted him at 1 in the afternoon to say she wasn't going to take DGD to her ballet class because the day had been too chaotic. Ballet isn't until 4:45. I offered to give her a ride but that was rebuffed. She is not thinking of her child.
    I finished my scheduling at work today. They want me to put it out earlier but keep giving me changes to make.
    I have talked to a few friends this week and that has kept me sane. I thank God for my special SIL, she is more like a sister. My own sister tries to be supportive but doesn't know how.
    I actually worked on some writing tonight and that felt good.
    Thanking you all for being here. None of us are alone on our journey.
    Sharon in Lethbridge.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Terri-Mom, when you get cort. shots can you ask them to freeze spray first? when they did my heel.. it helped a whole lot..
    I didnt nap yesterday..but was lazy and ate alot of bad bad stuff.. so will get back on track today...
    weds. the girls and I were talking about getting our nails done.
    and the girl that is supposedly the front office manager,who is the one who can be nasty.. posted on facebook yesterday afternoon that her and the other assistant were getting there nails done.. now she knew that they were going to do that ,but she didnt want me with them but posted ,just to hurt my feelings.. isnt that nice?
    geesh.. I dont like people who are just downright nasty..
    I will take myself to get my nails done next week sometime..
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just a greeting and a wish for a good day.

Cynthia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    jehzimom - you are doing the right thing! :flowerforyou: The first step is being aware of our own actions and our own triggers. Then we can do something about them. Congrats on the honest logging!

Did my typing this morning. Feeling good about it. It really helps to include in my good habits and to apportion my peak energy time to it. Becsuse I have a love/hate attitude to my writing it was always the last thing I would do. I could think of a million other things to do. When I was really writing properly I made myself do it at the same time every day and that worked, but in recent years I let it all slide. But I know it makes a big difference to the way I see myself. I somehow feel more fulfilled and peaceful. It takes a big effort to create a new habit and I am still resisting it, but it's getting easier. And I'm beginning to enjoy it. :bigsmile: Like my exercise habit, I hope it will become an automatic part of my life. o:)

Cold chicken for lunch. Yum. It was delicious yesterday. Organic, free range. :happy:
    Dinner is game stew. Probably the last of the game this season. I will cook it in a bit of beer and with leeks, carrots, onions and celery. A bit of smoked bacon. Herbs fom the garden. And have lots of pointy cabbage and broccoli with it. :bigsmile:

The garage came to collect our car today for a service. Amazing! DH rang up to make an appointment and they said they would collect and deliver it! All for free! We bought it a year ago and we knew it was a free service for 3 years, but not the collection service.

Love from Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy TGIF!

Heather, what is pointy cabbage? I keep having to look up foods I'm not familiar with. On another chat, someone mentioned making maidrites and that turned out to be something like sloppy joes without the ketchup. LOL

Am trying to take advice about doing a bit at a time. Got my computer table dejunked just now and dusted. Will proceed to the kitchen soon. Am having DS's family tomorrow for dinner so must clean up.

I plan to photograph pieces of jewelry today and hope to list sometimes soon. When I first started doing this, it was so much fun but now it's like a task. My nice DH keeps bringing me pieces from the sales he goes to and my collection grows and grows.

Hope all of you who are ailing feel better soon!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Dinner with our friends went very well last night. I had my bedtime snack at 4PM (my usual suppertime) so I wouldn't be starving by time to eat at 6:30. I looked carefully at all the food that was being served and asked a few questions about ingredients before filling my plate. I skipped the tortillas and rice and ate small portions of coconut baked fish, cole slaw, bean salad (rinsed off to remove sodium filled juice, and little bell peppers (some roasted, some raw). When dessert came, I told the hostess that I never eat dessert even if it seems simple and benign. Jake and I had decided ahead of time how late we would stay. When the conversation turned to a topic that troubled me, I got up from the table and walked into the other room and I heard Jake say, "Barbie's tired, I think we have to go now." It was a perfect evening.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Busy weekend! Appraiser coming to look at house (not moving ... making financial changes) .... and since the outside is barely visible from the snow ... need to really clean and straighten the inside! It will be a decluttering mission on steroids! :p

Another suggestion about stalled weight loss ... does your exercise include strength training? Three-legged stool ... calories, cardio, strength training. Need all three.

Beth in Western New York

• donamari7
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    smiley-cool05.gif Abby from Vancouver, I am younger now than I was when I started on MFP in 2009. One thing that helped me was reading "Younger Next Year for Women"....I'm not doing everything the book recommends, but I took a lot of the suggestions.

smiley-happy110.gif Peachstategal, don't wait to get motivated. Use my "suffer for 15 minutes a day" rule with your chores you don't want to do. Also make a list of small things to do so you can accomplish something easily and have the satisfaction of crossing it off your list when you do it.....and use pip's idea of playing music while you accomplish something.

smiley-happy110.gif We have been invited to dinner by some wonderful friends that we don't we often enough. We're due at their house at 6PM which is late for us, so we took a nap this afternoon so we can stay up later and I'm eating my bedtime snack now (my usual suppertime) and am hoping that what they serve for dinner will include foods that I eat

smiley-cool05.gif When someone asks a question about why she isn't losing weight, I am always impressed by all the fabulous suggestions. It helps me to see the food and exercise diary of the person asking the question.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)--- The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

February Resolutions
    *walk 19,000 steps a day (this is higher than last month)
    *strength training twice a week (this is the one I still haven't accomplished) smiley-sport017.gif
    *get the income tax numbers compiled and mailed to the accountant
    *Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--this goes well with my happiness commandment to "Lighten up"

146200.png

Be kind---no exceptions

barbiecat wrote: »
    smiley-cool05.gif Abby from Vancouver, I am younger now than I was when I started on MFP in 2009. One thing that helped me was reading "Younger Next Year for Women"....I'm not doing everything the book recommends, but I took a lot of the suggestions.

smiley-happy110.gif Peachstategal, don't wait to get motivated. Use my "suffer for 15 minutes a day" rule with your chores you don't want to do. Also make a list of small things to do so you can accomplish something easily and have the satisfaction of crossing it off your list when you do it.....and use pip's idea of playing music while you accomplish something.

smiley-happy110.gif We have been invited to dinner by some wonderful friends that we don't we often enough. We're due at their house at 6PM which is late for us, so we took a nap this afternoon so we can stay up later and I'm eating my bedtime snack now (my usual suppertime) and am hoping that what they serve for dinner will include foods that I eat

smiley-cool05.gif When someone asks a question about why she isn't losing weight, I am always impressed by all the fabulous suggestions. It helps me to see the food and exercise diary of the person asking the question.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)--- The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

February Resolutions
    *walk 19,000 steps a day (this is higher than last month)
    *strength training twice a week (this is the one I still haven't accomplished) smiley-sport017.gif
    *get the income tax numbers compiled and mailed to the accountant
    *Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--this goes well with my happiness commandment to "Lighten up"

146200.png

Be kind---no exceptions

Barbie - The book "Younger Next Year for Women" sounds very intrigueing. I am going to see if I can get that for my Kindle. Thank you!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Janet – yes I eat lunch at work. I take a 4 cup container of vegetables and a protein. Can of salmon, tuna, sardines or leftover protein from the night before. Have to have a protein or I am hungry in a couple hours.

Toni – we like parsnips in our house too. I grow my own and clean them and put in vegetable bags in the fridge. I also cut some into pieces and froze them, they work out ok. I will have to try adding the onions to them. My DIL’s like them cut into French fry size and pan fried.

Sylvia – I hope you get better soon.

Managed to get organized to get at my DH's company books entered into the computer yesterday. Yearend is March 31st. So maybe I will get them to the accountant before spring and outdoor work gets in the way.

Today - runaround day....unfortunately in my car. Recycle day, bottles to Sarcan, visit my mom, groceries....

later everyone.
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Janet, I have "stable" angina, which comes after exertion or being outside in the cold. I'm not supposed to be out in under 30 degree weather without breathing through my scarf, but sometimes I'm in a hurry or I forget. I'm glad your resistance band didn't hit you in the face. Did you read about what happened to Harry Reid (the senator)? He got hit in the face and ribs when a resistance band broke and he was really messed up. Broken bones in his face, shattered eye socket, and broken ribs. Scary.

It's really cold here this morning. Single digits for the first time this winter. I got the kids to school then came to the studio and turned on all the heaters. I'm still wearing my coat till it warms up a little more.

I'm really bothered by something the dishwasher repairman said yesterday and can't get it out of my mind, thinking about what I wish I had said. We had to sit through a long cycle, waiting for the burning smell to start, so we were talking. He started telling me about some of the things he lost in a fire that destroyed his business a few years ago. He said he had 43 rifles and ammunition in a gun safe in the back room, because he figured we were going to go to war one of these days with the Mexicans or N****rs, or maybe the "mooslems". I was so shocked that he said that! I said "OH!" and got up and left the room, but didn't really call him on it. What a horrible thing to say, and horrible of me for not saying more. Why would somebody say that to somebody they don't know? One thing is for sure, I won't be doing business with him again. What an ignorant bigot! I should have known when Bruno wouldn't go near him. He just stayed a good distance away barking at him, and Bruno loves EVERYBODY!

Well, I have to get busy. Have a great day!

Sylvia

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Sharon in Lethbridge - when I started I was doing everything but swimming. I noticed right away the fat melting away from my stomach, I can now only pinch less than an inch. The cellulite on my legs has virtually disappeared and my skin is tightening and looking pretty good. Because of the fasting it supposedly turns on what they called the health gene which I think is what got rid of the elephant skin and tightened my loose skin. You only have to exercise for 8 minutes prior to your 8 hour window to start the fat burning but I do .my aerobic exercise in the morning. My stomach does growl but it just tells me that fat will be melting away. You choose your window of time to eat. I am a night snacker, so I go from noon to 8 pm. There is a lot of information on the Internet about the diet and the science behind it.

Grandmallie - I am sorry for the way you were treated. There are really mean people out there. I just had my step daughter treat me with total disrespect right in front of her Dad. I think she has narcissistic disorder or is bipolar, but it is evident to others that she dislikes me.

Heather - you are making me hungry!

Barbie - glad to hear that your evening went well and you were able to find food to eat and enjoyed yourself. No desert good for you!

Well it's time for me to exercise! I have a busy weekend another basketball tournament tomorrow. Everyone have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Mary, Toni, and Michele and any one else I might have missed thank you for all the prayers for my niece.

She is a social worker in a hospital. She works in the floor below where she went for tests to monitor the babies heart rate. This will hopefully make it easier for her to get the tests she needs.
    She is due at the end of April.

They had a teacher's night at our Art Museum last night. The exhibition was the Habsburg Dynasty. I didn't realize at one time they ruled Spain. It spanned the 1400's to WWI. Marie Antoinette was a Habsburg. Her mother Marie Theresa was like Queen Victoria in that she had thirteen children that married rulers throughout Europe. For me the most interesting artifact was an elaborate sleigh gilded in gold. It was a one person sled pulled by a horse. Some of the dresses and uniforms were quite elaborate, too.

One of their biggest downfalls was they intermarried too much resulting in many birth defects.

Four below here today. Ready for some warmer temps.

Goal for March is to start logging food again.

2015 word: Strength

Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite.

:heart: MNMargaret

• crazsc
    crazsc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well I feel a little lazy when I see some of the exercise tracking posted here...just a motivator right!.. I went to gym yesterday morning and got 15 min of bike in then had to take daughter to doc over an hour away suddenly..PS she is ok... but when I got back to my car that we left at the gym 4 hours later, I went ahead and went back in to finish my workout B) another 35 min on bike and 20 on weights.....I was pretty proud. My eating was not good but was still under my calories :smile:

PS I have found myself in a slump at times and find that if I make a task list breaking down things that need done into smaller tasks and vow to accomplish one a day works and eventually you do more once you get rolling.....but even completing one thing to mark off the task list makes you feel accomplished !! :smiley:

crazsc---wmd
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Barbie - so glad you got through your evening ok. :flowerforyou: I always remember your sayings, "stay in the moment" and "I can bear anything for a short while that I wouldn't want to put up with for a lifetime". The first one helped me enormously before my journey on the plane and the second one is my mantra when I am troubled with unwanted music in restaurants etc. Thank you.
    - Do you ever tell people what your food preferences are before you go to eat with them? As a regular hostess I much prefer to know in advance what a person can or can't eat and I am more than happy to accommodate them. I remember when some new friends came recently and I didn't know he was a recovering alcoholic. I would have preferred to know so I could have prepared the dessert oranges without alcohol for him. I always ask people to tell me. The worst people are those who say, "oh I eat everything" and then they go, oh I don't like kidneys, or liver, or olives, or something. I have a friend like that who thinks she eats everything, but is extremely fussy. Now I know the things she does like I just give her those.

Sylvia - you did the right thing not to bite that hook. Absolutely nothing uou could say would make a blind bit of difference to his opinion and he may have said it just to get a reaction. Don't give him the pleasure! ! ! :flowerforyou: Just don't give him another job.

The car is back, looking nice and shiny! :bigsmile:

Pointy cabbage is what I call the pointed cabbage we buy. It comes from Spain on the wrapping. It is very tender. I have chicken stock simmering with the carcase and loads of chicken left for tomorrow evening. Will probably do something with cauliflower. My yoghourt is on its way. I am about to start the yeast and flour for the "no knead" bread. Everyone's favourite! :bigsmile: It is a beautiful day outside and DH has gone for a walk.

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • snowdoggy
    snowdoggy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good morning! TGIF

I had off yesterday because of the snow. Despite doing 2 hours of snow shoveling and 30 minutes on the stationary bike I had a rough day. It seems whenever I have a day to myself at home I am looking for things to eat. I think because I am bored. I get things accomplished with housework and what not, but still do not know how to stay out of the kitchen. Because of the snow shoveling I stayed within my food limits. I need suggestions for days like this. I am off in the summer and need to find a way to control my eating.

You all are great and a big help to listen to all of the ups, downs, and suggestions.

Snowdoggy
    Baltimore, MD