WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    went for a quick trip, bought a sample paint, and then went to walmart, got nyquil and stuff for the DH and am home lying down being lazy....have a load of laundry in the wash..
    I tripped in the family room and fell flat on my face...didn't hit my head and caught myself with my hands but my neck and shoulders are a bit sore.. know I will be hurting puppy tomorrow
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's cold and sunny here, but will stay cold all day and drop into the single digits tonight. I took the kids to school then went to the Y to sign them up for swim lessons and soccer. Now, I'm camped out at home waiting for the repairman to come and fix the dishwasher.

Gillian, welcome! I have a granddaughter named Jillian and we call her Jilly too. It's good to have your boss behind you!

Abby, welcome too! Stick with us and that 80 pounds will be gone before you know it!

I've walked with hubby and the dogs the last two nights, and did pretty well. I was holding Spot and he pulls less than the other two, so it wasn't a problem till he tried to chase a bird last night. That silly dog is crazy for birds! The other two don't pay any attention to birds. Go figure.

During the night I was having some really hard cramps in my gut. Like a charley horse. It's like those muscles have just discovered they've been cut and they are not happy about it. My belly button incision is still painful and oozing crud. I'm going to call the surgeons office today and see if it needs to be looked at. It's been three weeks since the surgery so you would think it would be all healed up by now. The other two are. I hope I didn't do too much too soon. I tend to do that.

Well, I think I'll go clean my stainless steel in the kitchen. Don't want the repairman to see it messy. I hope you are all having a great day. Stay warm!

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Having a lazy snow day here. I wish I knew how to post a picture from my phone. Maybe that is something I will figure out one day.

Beth - I know y'all are sick of the snow, and I would be, too, in your situation. But, for us, it is treat and this one is particularly beautiful! I hope you can get your older son's situation corrected soon and your younger one's migraine gets under control.

I'm working on getting up and getting productive but I'm not cooperating with myself. :wink: I would like to get a good start on my taxes, put a batch of soup in the crockpot, make some banana muffins, and make some of Michele's chocolate muffins (if I can find the recipe again). Does anyone have any idea how it would work to substitute something like honey or maple syrup for granulated sugar in a muffin recipe? I haven't had sugar in my house for close to a year and will have to wait until another payday arrives before grocery shopping again.

Kim - How did you find your hiking group? I so very badly need to find a way to meet new people. I don't think I could hike for 7 miles, and certainly can't do it during the week, but it sounds like fun!

What is a rebounder and how do you use it?

Mary(?) - I have been told by my doctor to avoid using weights because of joint issues, but heavy lifting still really interests me. I do better at strength training that cardio because I hate to get 'out of breath'. I'm curious about how you do with it!

Well, I'm going to indulge in reading my novel for a few more minutes then get to work on those tasks I've set for today. Hope you all have an awesome day!

Carol in snowy NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good morning, ladies. No, actually I think it is a great morning. I hope you are all feeling it too, despite the snow and cold temperatures. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that it will eventually all melt and life will get back to normal. (Whatever that is?)

Pip, I consider us friends, so you don't have to be so formal with my name, damit! I'm glad you like it and you can call me what ever you want. :#

Katla, does your gym have someone to work with new members on their goals and what equipment or exercises would be good? I hope he finds something that works for him.

Katab, I know I took "wacky" as a compliment. There are a few sensitive ladies on this thread, but in general you will find us a very easy going bunch. I have always loved that I am a bit wacky although sometimes DH just shakes his head. :s

Joyce, I have to laugh sometimes because it seems all of our DHs worry about us driving at night and will go someplace with us so they can drive. I’m finding that I have to “backseat drive” very carefully when DH is driving at night because I don’t think he can see as well as I can. :wink: I do go to evening meetings at night and he doesn’t worry about me, so for the time, life is good. I know the day will come that we should stop driving, especially at night and I hope we will know when the time is here. I’ve had too many friends whose parents kept driving long after they should have.

Abby, welcome to this very supportive group. Good for you on getting younger by the minute. I’ve been getting younger the past few months also and it feels great! The more weight we lose, the years (if not the wrinkles) seem to fall off. If you truly make a lifestyle change, like many of us have, you will find success. Come often and keep us posted on your progress. I hear that Vancouver is just breathtakingly beautiful amd I’d love to visit there one day.

Allison, isn’t it amazing what we can accumulate when we aren’t looking. Hopefully you will find a few treasures that you do want to keep as you go through things.

Gilly, welcome and of course you can join us. We are happy to have anyone that is serious about this journey. It works and this group of lovely ladies are super supportive. If you can find the time to read all the posts, you will also pick up some great information. Come often and join in. It’s great to have the support of coworkers and gives a bit of added accountability.

Linda, I hope you enjoyed the pie? I have actually started to have something yummy with lots of calories and after a bite or two, decided it wasn’t good enough to eat that many calories. Just knowing I could have that bite was enough and I left the rest. That is one of many things I love about this journey. There is really nothing that we are forbidden from eating. It’s just all about choices.

Lillian
    , good luck on breaking your plateau. I was at the same level for about a month after having lost at a great rate. I just kept on keeping on and the one thing I changed was my exercise routine. I’m happy to report that the weight has started moving again at a surprising rate. Hang in there, we are with you!!!

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Have a wonderful, healthy and happy day. <3

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - good idea to call your doctor. Oozing stuff could be a sign of an infection. Better to be safe than sorry. Get well soon.

I have a busy day today, I do an hour of Kenpo X, 45 minutes of Zumba activate, then off to swim for 45 minutes with my DSIL. Since it is the last day of the month for us to go swimming we will be eating lunch out after. I don't mind doing that as long as I can find something healthy to eat on the menu. He likes to go to the Italian restaurants which has mostly pasta which I don't eat because of the carbs. Then we will get an ice cream cone for sure! I will log everything I eat. And I will stay within my calorie limit today. The ice cream cone counts as a full meal. Since I do the 8 hour diet. The window of time with I eat is between 12 and 8 p.m. And that will be my breakfast and lunch. If you are not aware of it they do not have any data that really says your metabolism speeds up only if you eat breakfast when you wake up according to the research of the people that wrote the 8 hour diet book. The same with fat burning. I am getting excellent results following this diet. I do all of my exercise prior to eating and it seems like all my fat is melting away. And I am getting very nice muscle definition. And since I have been on the 8 hour diet, I have gotten over the plateau I was stuck on, and have lost a pound to 2 pounds every week.

Well time to get started exercising, everyone have a great day!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,682 Member
    Options
    i don't know if any of you use the rowing machine at your gym (if you go to a gym and if your gym has one) but I use it every once in awhile. there's a feature on it that you can use a pace boat to keep up with and I had been trying to figure it out. well after repeated times of asking the front desk for help, I finally got someone to follow thru and get me help. since the person that emailed me couldn't get together with me at the times that I was available (i'm there 7days a week :0/) she finally sent me a youtube video that had instructions, I don't know y I didn't think of looking there. ANYWAY, got there this morning and couldn't get internet in there so I could see the video to follow instructions. THEN the previous user changed the language to Spanish! thank goodness I can read Spanish so I was able to use the machine anyway (not using the pace boat feature). oh well.... that's my morning so far :0/
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Your sister is lucky to have your help. I hope she appreciates you!

Abby from Vancouver BC & Gilly from Suffolk: Welcome! There is a lot of good-hearted support here. Stop by often and get to know people. You can improve your health and meet your goals if you stick with it and are patient with the process. It took me a bit more than 2 years to lose 70 pounds. I’m still here so that the pounds stay gone.

Alison: Take care of yourself.

Linda in N Ontario: It sounds like you’re trying some changes. Good for you. I feel better with a higher protein diet but that also seems to mean a higher fat diet. I’ve been reading plenty of things that say “good fats” are good for you. It seems that olive oil is considered a good fat by the “experts”, and so is the fat in salmon. I have a mix of good fats and not so good fats in my diet. In a lot of ways we’re our own science experiment. If I eat a certain way I get one outcome and if I eat another way I get a different outcome. That seems so simple and self evident, but why did it take me more than 62+ years to learn it?

Sylvia: Be sure to report back after you visit the doctor. Oozing crud is definitely worrisome.

I’m going to Zumba with my neighbor this morning. She will try all the steps, and I’ll skip the sideways bounces. I end up marching to the beat of the music most of the time. I want to be her friend, and this is a good way to spend time together.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mary, I just ordered that book off of eBay. It sounds like a very interesting idea.

We got pretty snow just as it was getting dark last night and it was just about gone by morning.

Has anyone got a cure for "LAZY"? I got so much more done when I was working. Right now my house is dirty and needs a good cleaning. I just can't seem to get motivated.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,682 Member
    Options
    Mary, I just ordered that book off of eBay. It sounds like a very interesting idea.

We got pretty snow just as it was getting dark last night and it was just about gone by morning.

Has anyone got a cure for "LAZY"? I got so much more done when I was working. Right now my house is dirty and needs a good cleaning. I just can't seem to get motivated.

music!, blast some good high energy music and do it!!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good morning from cold Edmonton, currently -17C with wind chill feels like -27C. Glad I don’t need to go out today!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Sylvia: I love your jokes!

Terri – Milwaukee: My physical therapist is driving me crazy. I told him yesterday I thought he was schizophrenic. One day he tells me to get active and give me really difficult exercise to do for my knees and wrists and elbows. The next day he says… no more tai chi, no more wii fit. I told him to make up his mind. I decided to go to Tai Chi anyway. Today I’m sure paying the price physically but I sure slept well last night. :D

Grandmallie
    : You’ve inspired me to clean out a pantry. I had stuff in there that didn’t have nutritional labels or best before date… guess it’s been there a while.

Katab
    : I’ve had a number of issues with different cardiac meds but the cardiologist is adamant about me taking them. I recently had a change to the type of beta blocker which seems to be helping with depression and shortness of breath. What kind of side effects are you having?

Carol – NC: There’s a website http://www.meetup.com/ that was recommended to me. You can search for people who have things in common with you in your locale. These groups usually meet on a regular basis. It’s supposed to be a good way to meet people.

Peachstategal: I find that I need to set one small easily attainable goal a day and a plan to celebrate when I accomplish it. Otherwise I get overwhelmed and then can’t accomplish anything.

My goal for February is to do meal planning and to eat 3 meals a day. I’ve been doing pretty well at this and have tried a number of new recipes. It’s time to get started on the meal planning for March since it takes me days to finalize it.

Thought for the day
    : The secret of getting ahead is getting started. Mark Twain
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

We got both snow from a "system", and lake effect snow, but only a few inches. the lake effect snow is slippery, so it took me a little longer to get to work, but I left extra early so I could ride the bike.

Today, I have a little "talk" from the traps, lats, and triceps, but they are not "yelling" at me, so I look forward to doing it again today. I'm certain that today will be easier and better than yesterday.

Soon I will speak to DS's personal trainer, to get a jump on the lifting he needs for pole Vault this year. His track coach is excited that he has agreed to learn. I, of course, am certain that it means they are all trying to give me a heart attack, because the first time I see him fail will be scary.

Katla - I have both OA and RA, and my knees are ready for replacement, but I'm not. The cortisone hurts going in (like any shot, but a little worse), and I can feel the joint getting full and tight. Then for that day and the next the knees are stiff, but less painful. After that, for at least 2 weeks, but sometimes as long as 3 months, there is very little pain or clicking or grinding. I like to get it about 1 week before a vacation, so I can enjoy myself and be less limited in my activities. (I'm not a fan of what it does to my menopausal hormones, but I get over that). I was hoping to get a shot in my thumb too, since that is ready for surgery, but the Doctor I work for won't do it, but that is definitely easier to live with than both knees.

Linda - I do my best to pre-log my food. That way I can look at where I can make adjustments, or where I might need to change my plans. Unfortunately, I have been getting "the call of the sugar" lately, so even though I may come in at or under goal, by morning it is over :'( . I'm not sure what I will do in El Paso, except try to get more exercise than usual, and since our hotel has a mini-fridge, I will buy some fruits and veggies to have on hand for when I may get bored or between meals (like right before DH wants to hit the buffet).

Gilly - It's okay to be "needy" sometimes. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to read or respond to the post. Sometimes (ok, probably too often) I vent, and no one has ever made me feel bad for having my feelings.

To everyone getting what I would consider a lot of exercise - Thank You, and keep up the good work. I wish I could exercise more than I do, but joint pain and boredom usually win that battle. Mostly I just exercise to keep the body moving. Like the RA medication commercial "a body in motion tends to stay in motion". In fact, time to stand up, stretch, and walk around a little, before everything gets too stiff again.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lunch time check in. 4 or 5" of snow here this am, but already starting to melt.

I fell into a cracker trap today and yesterday – 12 Triscuits are 240 cal. Uh.

Resting heart rate 72. Hmm. Hope the increased exercise will bring that down.

Thanks for all the continued inspiration ladies!

Cindy in SoMD

14386427.png

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi again all caught up. Don't want to fall behind can't catch up and I'm very very nosey.

Carol
    Did you ever think of joining a weight group like tops or weight watchers to make friends. They would all understand and you might find a walking group.

Well for me I think a nap is going to take place soon. Not a good night last night.
    Doind very good with my carbs.

See you all lighter
    Linda in the great white Northern Ontario.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    Day went well. Exercise, typing, shopping, cooking. Had delicious roast chicken, roast parsnips, roast sweet potato and masses of pointy cabbage.
    I bought some microwave popcorn today, but it was a bit salty. It's amazing how many things taste salty to me now! Only 91 cals though. :bigsmile:
    Rang my London friend this pm. I have arranged to meet her in March when we come up to babysit the grandchildren. Hope she keeps to it. She often cancels through fatigue.
    Sent a card to my ex. He shoukd be coming home from hospital today.

At the supermarket we had four cards refused. Three different banks. At the cashpoint they worked fine so it must be the till. Nasty moment though. :ohwell: The supervisor was getting worried.

My friend told me that someone fell off World's End in Sri Lanka recently. They survived because they landed on a tree. A honeymooner stepped back too far for a photo. :ohwell: Apparently quite a few people have died there. It is a drop of 2, 800 ft. We couldn't see anything but cloud!

Love to all. Heather in showery Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Good afternoon group! We had 8" of snow last night in central Va. A rarity for us. It is a real heavy snow. I did a lot of shoveling and since my son didn't have school today, he helped. But, it's baseball season and he is a pitcher so I did not make him do too much because I didn't want him hurting his arm. We are supposed to have a scrimmage game on Saturday, but with all this white stuff, doubt that will happen. I am a Baseball Mom! I LOVE baseball season!

Now on a personal note, I am still stuck on weight. Have not lost a single pound since the first week ( which was back in January). I tried 1200 calories a day, then dropped to 1000, and you all told me I was not getting enough, so I went back to 1200. Still not happening. I exercise every day so I am not gaining, but I really need to get some of this weight off. Suggestions?...help?....

Thanks for listening,
    Karen in Central Va
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi Karen - I would suggest doing your measurements, or having someone do them for you. Since muscle weighs more densely than fat, the scale may not move for awhile, depending on what type of exercise you are doing. Shovelling heavy snow is going to both burn calories from being aerobic, and build muscle. I personally am a slave to my scale, but I also use how my clothes fits and what I see in the mirror, and the changes from the tape measure. Stay positive and be proud of the healthy changes you are making in your life. :D

p.s. I am a baseball Mom, too. my 14 y.o. is in track, bowling, basketball, and baseball. He usually plays an infield position, but is only average as a pitcher.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options

Fifteen minute chunks ... aka, chewing the elephant one bite at a time!

Mary .... someone recently posted information about a 12 hour window for eating ... if you start at 6:00 am, then end at 6:00 pm. It would seem science confirms that taking ourselves off continuous grazing patterns is good for us. Congratulations on losing 2 pounds each week!

Linda ... laughed at the "nosey" part! I think we all have a little bit of that here.

Heather ... "pointy" cabbage?

Karen... no expert here ...but what are you eating? When I had a trainer, he suggested a "diet" that was low carb (meaning a little fruit, but no gluten based foods) for two days and then moderate carb (that added jut a little bit of gluten) for 5 days ... and then repeating the cycle. He called it "eat more to lose more." I lost quite a bit of my weight that way and will fall back on this eating plan when struggling. It's a form of food confusion to your body ... not allowing your body to hang on to weight because it thinks it's starving ... it never knows what you're going to do next. Lots of vegetables and protein. I was a baseball mom too ... until my son's migraines took over his life, he had a good chance at a college scholarship as a pitcher .... we're all heartbroken about that ... I miss baseball.

Beth in WNY

• k2boxlady
    Options
    Terri, when my son is not pitching, he plays first base. He is 6'5" and left handed. He graduates is May and hopefully will continue his baseball in college.

I have not noticed much change in the way my clothes fit. I'm not giving up. I have more energy and am feeling better, so I'm just going to keep eating healthy and exercising. But I will take your advice and take some measurements, no matter how depressing those numbers may be. And yes, I too, depend too much on the scales.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy thurs.
    hugs
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Beth, the no (low carb) was one of the changes I made a couple of weeks ago, but I have not tried alternating. At this point, I will try about anything.

I am so very sorry about your son and his migrains. My son has not made a college decision yet, but I am hoping he stays close so I can catch a few games. If not, I'm sure I will go into baseball DT's....I have had at least one child playing baseball for the past 26 years. Now I also get to enjoy my granddaughter playing softball.