Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    rach021979 wrote: »
    I read an article in Dr. Oz mag that cashew milk has the least calories, sugar and fat and most protein of all those types of milks...but I'm having a hard time finding it.

The forums here are great, you just have to cut through the lard, don't get discouraged by the well intentioned but often incorrect Sideliners.

I agree with the above statement.

the uneducated people around here are the WORST
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I read an article in Dr. Oz mag that cashew milk has the least calories, sugar and fat and most protein of all those types of milks...but I'm having a hard time finding it.

The forums here are great, you just have to cut through the lard, don't get discouraged by the well intentioned but often incorrect Sideliners.

I agree with the above statement.

the uneducated people around here are the WORST

I agree with this statement as well. See how agreeable I am?
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian nor vegan. I EAT MEAT. Still the thought of humans being the only animal that drinks milk from another animal sounds yuckky. Yes, I still eat cheese, on occasion, it just sounds yuccky. Would you suck the milk out of a cows "Teat"?

Do you slaughter your own animals?

If you want to talk repulsive I think you've got bigger worries than a cow's teat...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk for me please. one of the products in my diet I havent changed as well as butter. I'd drink more of it if I could but the lactose is a bit of a pain.
    Its also very cheap in the UK.

Good to see MFP providing its usual level of wisdom.
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have read and heard from many trustworthy sources that it is best to cut out dairy if you can. My husband and i switched to almond milk for six months. I loved it and felt healthier so no longer drink milk. He hated it, so switched back after the trial period.

I am a big believer in being open minded and focusing on your own individual body's needs and responses.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have read and heard from many trustworthy sources that it is best to cut out dairy if you can. My husband and i switched to almond milk for six months. I loved it and felt healthier so no longer drink milk. He hated it, so switched back after the trial period.

I am a big believer in being open minded and focusing on your own individual body's needs and responses.

Could you provide us with any links to your trustworthy sources? I love to increase my knowledge base.
  • DonT58
    DonT58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like skim milk better than unsweetened almond milk or 2% milk. I've been using almond milk for cereal in order to achieve my calorie goals. I recently added in 250 calories a day in an effort to get to 2 lb./week weight loss (from 2.6 lbs/ wk) and one of the things I'm going to do to get those calories back is to go to skim milk. I'm 6-2, less than 230 pounds and my maintenance calorie level is like 2200+ calories at my next milestone (195 lbs). I was mostly comfortable at 1420 calories but I can tell it's time to get more - but I'm having a hard time getting to 1670 a day. My point here is almond milk, skim milk, 2% milk, whole milk or even chocolate milk can all good choices depending on the diet goals and the dieters preferences.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    why skim? there are other options...lactose free milk may be an option, I like horizon's 2% lactose free milk. If you are trying to avoid animal byproducts then you can also look into rice milk, hemp milk along side almond milk, just continue to check the labels for nutritional content as you already been doing.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian nor vegan. I EAT MEAT. Still the thought of humans being the only animal that drinks milk from another animal sounds yuckky. Yes, I still eat cheese, on occasion, it just sounds yuccky. Would you suck the milk out of a cows "Teat"?
    All kinds of animals (even some birds) will drink milk if given the opportunity. Man is the only animal that is able to procure milk on a regular basis.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If I could tolerate it, 3.25% milk is where I'd go (and I have in the past, but can no longer :(). Skim milk is like white water. No taste, no texture... Soy milk tastes awful. I love almond and coconut milk. Cashew milk is also pretty nice and creamy. I've gotten to the point where I can just drink it unsweetened on its own and enjoy it. And I eat enough meat + protein shakes and whatnot to make up for the difference.

I do miss chocolate milk. And can only have so much yogurt or cottage cheese (and never both in the same day). Heck, skyr is awesome and I can't even have it because it's basically really thick skim milk :(

I'm sure my coworkers and family are much happier (as well as I am) that I stick to almond milk most of the time despite it all.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk unless it's from a local dairy...mass produced milk just tastes terrible (or rather, has little taste) to me. The local dairy's milk is very creamy and flavorful, even the part-skim.

But I still prefer almond milk for the calories and taste.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The Kroger stores in my area have started carrying it. Silk makes it. I haven't bothered trying it, though, since cashew products have too much of the flavor concentrated for my taste. It does have some bizarre additives, though. I kid you not, it has almond butter in it. My guess is to make it creamier, but I still did a double-take when I saw it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    If I could tolerate it, 3.25% milk is where I'd go (and I have in the past, but can no longer :(). Skim milk is like white water. No taste, no texture... Soy milk tastes awful. I love almond and coconut milk. Cashew milk is also pretty nice and creamy. I've gotten to the point where I can just drink it unsweetened on its own and enjoy it. And I eat enough meat + protein shakes and whatnot to make up for the difference.

I do miss chocolate milk. And can only have so much yogurt or cottage cheese (and never both in the same day). Heck, skyr is awesome and I can't even have it because it's basically really thick skim milk :(

I'm sure my coworkers and family are much happier (as well as I am) that I stick to almond milk most of the time despite it all.

Can you handle full/heavy cream? 3 parts chocolate almond milk to 1 part cream, makes for a divine chocolate milk. Definitely worth a try!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    fat is an essential nutrient we all need. drink 2%
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    lvillani81 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how milk doesn't gross human beings out. The stuff is packed with bacteria, puss, fecal matter, pesticides and IGF-1 which causes cancer. Plus, cow's milk is naturally intended to turn a small calf into a 1,000 lb cow!

And then once they are done drinking milk, they go strictly vegan/vegetarian to finish out that 1,000 lbs. That's why I avoid vegetarian diets. I would hate to turn into a 1,000 lb heifer.

*nods*

...oh, wait!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    lvillani81 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand how milk doesn't gross human beings out. The stuff is packed with bacteria, puss, fecal matter, pesticides and IGF-1 which causes cancer. Plus, cow's milk is naturally intended to turn a small calf into a 1,000 lb cow!

agreed

"The hype for store-bought almond milk from people who are otherwise all about "natural and unprocessed" is always the weirdest."

agreed, that is why I make my own. Taste better, less junk it it, and not processed.

How do you get the "milk" out of almonds without processing it?

Processed food in these contexts, to most educated people, = commercially manufactured, processed and packaged. Not put in a blender.

so it's the packaging that makes it so unhealthy?

It's all the machines it goes through, additives that are added, the packaging (BPA is still legal in US), and its in every can US produces) and hands that touch it.

lol...you really think that the only processing that occurs to make almond milk is throwing some almonds in a blender? Without packaging, untouched by human hands?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Totally untrue.

Also, huh? re sucking the milk out of a cows teat...how on earth is that even relevant?
  • tanyabecka
    tanyabecka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use 8oz of almond milk with my protein shakes every day... If milk is a major source of protein for your diet you've got bigger issues. Also, I'm pretty sure that every that is "fat free" has lots of added chemicals in order for it to be so (or so my 2 nutritionists say). There are good fats and not-so-good fats, just research them.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    tanyabecka wrote: »
    I use 8oz of almond milk with my protein shakes every day...If milk is a major source of protein for your diet you've got bigger issues. Also, I'm pretty sure that every that is "fat free" has lots of added chemicals in order for it to be so (or so my 2 nutritionists say). There are good fats and not-so-good fats, just research them.

tumblr_inline_mgppj7IsJX1qfkgdm.gif
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk because I drink A LOT of it in my cups of tea and smoothies/protein shakes. Full fat which is better just gives me too many calories.
    I recently bought almond/coconut milk, I can handle it in my smoothies but just can't get used to it my tea blaaaaahhhhh :s