Anyone eat over 2000 calories?

Options

Replies

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Yeah, I understand when it's an explanation like this. I'm talking about the "I lift a few times a week and never do cardio but I eat 2,500 calories a day to lose weight" gals. OK, so I literally weigh 100lbs more than these chicks but I don't lose an ounce eating 2200? It flat out makes no sense. Like I said, people are lying about their intake or their activity levels to make this look easier than it is.
    [/quote]

I've been staying around 2100 per day. I swim laps at least 30 solid minutes every day and I've been making a bigger effort to walk around more, park further away, get up from my desk & walk a lap around my office, etc. I've been losing about 2-3lb a week. I have a lot to lose yet, but I know people who eat like horses & never seem to gain weight. The woman who sits at the desk next to me at work literally eats 1000 calories for lunch every day & is always posting pics of homemade fried chicken & stuff she makes for dinner on Facebook & she's a stick. She said she doesn't exercise & she can't gain weight no matter what. Her OB/GYN even accused her of trying to diet when she was preggo because she only gained 18lbs for both of her pregnancies. I think some people just have naturally high metabolisms and some have naturally low metabolisms. There are many studies out there that have backed this theory up.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I take in 2000-2200 calories/day. I'm breastfeeding though (baby is 2 weeks old). When I get the green light to go back to the gym I'm sure I'll be adding more to that. I'm more in 'recovering from childbirth' mode right now than 'losing weight' mode. That'll come after my 6 week checkup.

Congrats! I've heard that breastfeeding is not only great for the baby but also for the mom in terms of calories burned. What a win win for you and your baby :)

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

I lift weights for ~3hrs a week and do cardio for ~1hr a week. I simply have a reasonable goal. Seriously, we aren't bragging. We are just active enough to raise our calorie needs up a bit AND we have reasonable goals.

You weigh more after a day out because water weight. Sodium + excess eating = water weight.

You gained on 2700? Okay, fine. That means your activity levels and lean body mass and total weight are not meshing in such a way that equates to needing 2700 calories a day to maintain. I am not active or heavy or muscular enough to maintain on 2700 calories. I can maintain on 2400, probably 2500, without gaining weight.

If you eat low cal, then jump to high cal, you will gain weight temporarily. It levels out within a few weeks.

RuWqP.gif
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 2700 club, too. Some days, I eat as much as 3500.

I'm 31, 5' 7", 258 right now, 23% body fat, and fairly active (jog ~3/day, martial arts, walking a lot [average 14,000 steps/day, including my jog at 6k steps], biking, lifting).

Personally, I lose more consistently at a higher calorie intake. My performance suffers too much at the ~2000 range, and I'm tired or cranky all the time.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

Well only because you asked so nicely :D I am marathon training right now so my miles have increased. My typical non training mode is from 600-800 per day calorie burn most days of the week. On long run days I can burn upwards of 2000 calories so obviously I need to eat more, other days are a bit less. I vary between running, the Arc trainer at the gym, my spin bike here at home and my treadmill also here at home. I lift weights and do HIIT for strength/cardio. I have a desk job but I work from home so I try to remind myself to get up and move every hour or so. When I had lost about half the weight I actually increased my calorie intake and lost more but that wasn't just about quantity, but also about quality. I'm 5'2 and weigh 128 pounds but most people guess I am around 110 due to my muscle mass. I think in part that helps quite a bit as far as burning calories is concerned. I really do hope the posts here help!
    Yeah, I understand when it's an explanation like this. I'm talking about the "I lift a few times a week and never do cardio but I eat 2,500 calories a day to lose weight" gals. OK, so I literally weigh 100lbs more than these chicks but I don't lose an ounce eating 2200? It flat out makes no sense. Like I said, people are lying about their intake or their activity levels to make this look easier than it is.

I don't think people lie necessarily. I am 5'7". I typically weigh a lean 135-140. I dieted down in hopes of doing a fitness show, and got down to 125 with calories between 1900-2100. I gained weight afterwards, and am up to 150. Before I ever dieted for the show, I maintained on 2500 average, with plenty of 2700-3000 fun days. But I did lots of circuit workouts, lifting and hiit style running.

Now that I've gained this weight I started at 2300 and was losing sooooo slowly that I've now reduced to 2050 (weekly average). I lift 4-5x a week, do some crossfit style workouts and minimal running. Often, it's as much about what you've done in the past as what you're doing now. I have lots of muscle and a great cardiovascular system, plus I tend to stay active in general. When I stopped working out and increased my calories, I gained. Everyone has different metabolisms, yes. But it's also a matter of being active. Once I lose this ten pounds, I will again increase calories and am hoping to maintain on 2500 again.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Well only because you asked so nicely :D I am marathon training right now so my miles have increased. My typical non training mode is from 600-800 per day calorie burn most days of the week. On long run days I can burn upwards of 2000 calories so obviously I need to eat more, other days are a bit less. I vary between running, the Arc trainer at the gym, my spin bike here at home and my treadmill also here at home. I lift weights and do HIIT for strength/cardio. I have a desk job but I work from home so I try to remind myself to get up and move every hour or so. When I had lost about half the weight I actually increased my calorie intake and lost more but that wasn't just about quantity, but also about quality. I'm 5'2 and weigh 128 pounds but most people guess I am around 110 due to my muscle mass. I think in part that helps quite a bit as far as burning calories is concerned. I really do hope the posts here help!
    You have to learn to take those with a grain of salt. I've seen a lot of prolific posters say they eat a ton, lift, and hate cardio so they don't do it. But, if you check out their diaries, their "tons" that they eat is 1600-1700 calories to cut. I think it's a perception and somewhat of an overstatement to prove a point to the people who think they have to cut at 1200 calories or less.
  • ana3067
    Options

Because you are making up examples. I do a tiny fraction of the cardio that people in this thread do and yet I still have a higher calorie count. You know what else I do? I walk around campus with a sometimes 20lb backpack on my shoulder. I don't lounge around as much as I did in the summer. I am up on my feet when I'm home more so I can make food. This all increases my TDEE. Plus, I have greater muscle mass than I used to after I unknowingly bulked up 2 years ago. I also lift with as much intensity as I can handle, although my upper body days have been lacking and I'm trying to make sure I get enough sleep while also doing them before lower body days to improve the performance. I only lift 4x a week.

You don't lose on 2200 because you either a) are not patient enough to let your body adjust to this intake, or b) your logging is wicked inaccurate (I'm guessing you measure instead of weigh?).

You need to stop being so bitter about it all. You want to lose on 2200 calories? Okay, then eat 2200 calories for a month straight before deciding whether you are able to lose on it. Weigh all your solids and measure all your liquids.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Not to poke the bear, but maybe you're underestimating your intake?

• ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I lift weights for ~3hrs a week and do cardio for ~1hr a week. I simply have a reasonable goal. Seriously, we aren't bragging. We are just active enough to raise our calorie needs up a bit AND we have reasonable goals.

You weigh more after a day out because water weight. Sodium + excess eating = water weight.

You gained on 2700? Okay, fine. That means your activity levels and lean body mass and total weight are not meshing in such a way that equates to needing 2700 calories a day to maintain. I am not active or heavy or muscular enough to maintain on 2700 calories. I can maintain on 2400, probably 2500, without gaining weight.

If you eat low cal, then jump to high cal, you will gain weight temporarily. It levels out within a few weeks.

RuWqP.gif

I have a reasonable goal. It's not exactly unreasonable to want to weigh less than 233lbs at 5'11". I'm not exactly asking to make it on the cover of some muscle mag. At this point my goal is to get to 199 so I can say I'm under 200lbs for the first time since high school.

Reasonable goal = weight loss per week goal. I.e. 0.5-1lb max.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Are you horse shaming?

mr-ed.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    I'm in the 2700 club, too. Some days, I eat as much as 3500.

I'm 31, 5' 7", 258 right now, 23% body fat, and fairly active (jog ~3/day, martial arts, walking a lot [average 14,000 steps/day, including my jog at 6k steps], biking, lifting).

Personally, I lose more consistently at a higher calorie intake. My performance suffers too much at the ~2000 range, and I'm tired or cranky all the time.
    Are you.. sure you're 23% BF? because that would mean about 200lbs lean mass. Unless you've been training for the last 10 years and bulking most of that time I just can't imagine someone that weight being 23% BF!
  • ana3067
    Options

I have a food scale at work and two at home (one for meats, one for other stuff). I used to weigh 365lbs and have been dieting a long time off and on but I have never managed to get under 225ish. I'm really familiar with the concept of weighing and measuring. The only fudges I'll have are those "it's just one day" things people swear you can have. I'll go to dinner at a sushi place on Saturday night *gasp*. Really? ONE meal a week of rice and friggin' fish is what's stopping me? And yes, it's only been two weeks this time since I've dropped my calories but I was dieting for like 5 straight months before it just stopped working again.

Yes, you can have those days. I had like 3-4 of them in December. And a couple in January. I just lost very slowly because of it.

Your caloric needs change as you lose weight. You can also stop seeing results on the scale for weeks at a time.

You are being impatient. And your diary does not lend one to believe you weigh your food.
  • ana3067
    Options

I have a food scale at work and two at home (one for meats, one for other stuff). I used to weigh 365lbs and have been dieting a long time off and on but I have never managed to get under 225ish. I'm really familiar with the concept of weighing and measuring. The only fudges I'll have are those "it's just one day" things people swear you can have. I'll go to dinner at a sushi place on Saturday night *gasp*. Really? ONE meal a week of rice and friggin' fish is what's stopping me? And yes, it's only been two weeks this time since I've dropped my calories but I was dieting for like 5 straight months before it just stopped working again.

Yes, you can have those days. I had like 3-4 of them in December. And a couple in January. I just lost very slowly because of it.

Your caloric needs change as you lose weight. You can also stop seeing results on the scale for weeks at a time.

You are being impatient. And your diary does not lend one to believe you weigh your food.
    Besides yesterday and Saturday how does it not "lend one to believe?"
    Example from my diary, notice the, dur, weights. I even round up on most things. See alot of 1.1 or 2.1? That's me rounding up!!!!!!:
    publix ground sirlion - hamburger meat, 8 oz
    Southern Home - Hamburger Buns, 2 bun
    Specialty Selected - Aldi - Alehouse Cheddar, 1.6 ounce
    Avocado, Haas - Usda (Grams), 59 g
    Usda - Onions, 20 g(s)
    Vegetable - Tomato (Usda), 130 Grams

1 bun = not weighed.
    Generic - Cap'n Crunch Chocolately Crunch, 1.5750000000000002 cup
    Tostitos - Multigrain Scoops! Tortilla Chips, 0.25 container (10 oz (28g/about 12 chips ea.)
    Kraft Natural Cheese - Finely Shredded Triple Cheddar, 0.5 container (2 cups ea.)
    Skinny Cow - Cookies 'n Cream Ice Cream Sandwich, 1 sandwich
    Great Value (Walmart) Large Curd Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 1.05 cup
    Newman's Own - Peach Salsa, Medium, 4.2 tbsp (32g)
    Great Value (Walmart) Large Curd Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 1.05 cup
    Great Value - Medium Picante Salsa, 4.2 tbsp
    Great Value (Walmart) Large Curd Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 0.925 cup
    Nabisco - Double Stuffed Oreos, 1 cookies
    Carr's Kitchen - Quaker Oats - Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter, 1 1/2 Cup
    Great Value - Medium Picante Salsa, 4.2 tbsp

etc etc. These do not look weighed. Just use a weighted entry or create your own if it doesn't exist.

Do NOT round up. Put in the ACTUAL WEIGHT of what you ate.

You also were eating above your 2200 goal. even just eating 50 calories more every day = 350 calories more that week = even less of a deficit. And you eat out regularly, meaning sodium and inaccurate calories = less scale weight loss.
  • auddii
    Options

If you've been dropping weight since 365lbs, you likely are having problems with metabolic adaptation at least to some extent. Essentially, you need to eat less than you expect to lose. The adaptation is not permanent, but I've seen trainers post that it's taken months to get their clients' intake higher.

So, my guess is that you have two options: continue to cut your calories until you see a loss or work on increasing your metabolic rate. I'm not sure how people actually do that, but my guess is that you eat at maintenance for a rather extended period of time and lift weights (which I know you're already doing). It might help to ask someone with some experience with this.

Easy solution: eat less, even though it completely sucks.
  • ana3067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

If you've been dropping weight since 365lbs, you likely are having problems with metabolic adaptation at least to some extent. Essentially, you need to eat less than you expect to lose. The adaptation is not permanent, but I've seen trainers post that it's taken months to get their clients' intake higher.

So, my guess is that you have two options: continue to cut your calories until you see a loss or work on increasing your metabolic rate. I'm not sure how people actually do that, but my guess is that you eat at maintenance for a rather extended period of time and lift weights (which I know you're already doing). It might help to ask someone with some experience with this.

I was dieting down for 7 months myself, and I do figure there has been some metabolic adaptation. This is why I'm taking a break from weighing while still eating at a very slight deficit. I may not lose much weight if any, but I cannot lift properly eating 2000 calories. And I probably would have had to go lower to get a more substantial loss rate. So I'd rather cross my fingers that I'll get some body recomp going eating more cals and lifting better :p
  • auddii
    edited February 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I was dieting down for 7 months myself, and I do figure there has been some metabolic adaptation. This is why I'm taking a break from weighing while still eating at a very slight deficit. I may not lose much weight if any, but I cannot lift properly eating 2000 calories. And I probably would have had to go lower to get a more substantial loss rate. So I'd rather cross my fingers that I'll get some body recomp going eating more cals and lifting better :p

Yeah, that's also a good idea. I took a diet break November and December, but not in a good way. I had to stop lifting due to an injury, and then would say f-it and eat everything. And now I'm up 10lbs (I'd imagine some of that is water weight, but it's not dropping off quickly, so I'm not holding my breath). I really would like to get to a point where I'm comfortable with my weight enough to say I'm going to try eating at maintenance for 8 months and recomp, and then reevaluate. Sadly, I'm not there yet. :sad:

ETA: OP, I am cutting at 1800 calories a day, but that factors in 200 calories each day I save up for Saturdays because I game with friends and manage to snack all day... So, about 2000 calories a day.