Anyone eat over 2000 calories?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Thanks for all the answers about your routines. I'm seeing a trend. I'm guessing the "I don't do cardio, I hate cardio, you don't need cardio" people are probably really doing cardio :\

Or their reference point for eating "a lot" is different than yours (unless they give actual numbers).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Thanks for all the answers about your routines. I'm seeing a trend. I'm guessing the "I don't do cardio, I hate cardio, you don't need cardio" people are probably really doing cardio :\

Or their reference point for eating "a lot" is different than yours (unless they give actual numbers).
    I think we all see these people on the threads. I exaggerate but you see it all the time. 5'5" girls who lift 3x a week, "hate cardio," and eat 2500 calories to lose. OK. So I do the same thing and no results AND I weigh 100lbs more? Most do give numbers. It's a badge of honor. Say how much you eat and how little cardio you do.

I eat a lot, but lift a lot (5 times per week minimum) and do 5-7 hours of cardio per week in the winter. Warmer months I probably average 15 hours per week of cardio.

• auddii
    Options

I think we all see these people on the threads. I exaggerate but you see it all the time. 5'5" girls who lift 3x a week, "hate cardio," and eat 2500 calories to lose. OK. So I do the same thing and no results AND I weigh 100lbs more? Most do give numbers. It's a badge of honor. Say how much you eat and how little cardio you do.

Yeah, I was so excited when I saw those posts and I cut out cardio. It didn't work for me really; I just lose more consistently when I do full on steady-state cardio (and a lot of it). Mostly I think because it wastes time (and I'm not in the kitchen snacking before dinner if I'm in the gym), and I can eat more and it is easier for me to hit a higher calorie goal every day.
  • shdullack
    shdullack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to stay around 1200 to lose and maintain. I didn't have a lot to lose at this time, as I had lost my weight in the past couple of years, but pounds creep back on very easy. If I exercise, sometimes, I add some of the calories back in, but have found that I really need to just try to stick to around 1200. Sounds low, but for the most part, I am not often very hungry. I have to admit that I try to save my "empty" calories or extra calories for an adult beverage or two.
  • kanga1980
    kanga1980 Posts: 22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can eat about 2500 at my top range. I'm 5"6', 130 lbs. Following what my trainer says, I will gradually increase calories from maintenance (about 1700-1800) 50-100 calories per week over the course of a couple months until I really can't consume anymore. Slow and steady you won't gain weight, maybe a pound. After I hang at 2500 for awhile I cut back to maintenance to drop my extra fat but keep muscle. It really works, I lost 15 pounds of fat this way. Only do lifting, no cardio. I don't offset calories for exercise.
  • billyfleet1988
    Options
    Eating 2000 now and losing about 1.5 lbs per week. Very solid results so far.

I'm 5' 10", male, 183 lbs.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

I think you should eat a snickers :)

I regularly ride my bike. Hard. For a long time. Now there's snow on the ground so it is the much less fun indoor variety. 2300 calories on Saturday, 2100 on Sunday.

Weight loss is not my goal, it's just a means to be in bicycle racing shape by April. 6'2", 185 lb or so. With about 10-15 to lose. But like I said, it's not the scale that's the pass/fail, it's the condition on the bike.

As for the original question - I am trying to net about 1800 a day, but I go off the rails sometimes (and I am not as accurate with some food tracking) so I think after this last very hard training block I'm going to cap my total to 2200 weekdays (2500 weekends) and try to lose 1 lb a week. Bear in mind that includes at least 12-16 hours of riding/week., with minimal core resistance training.

• kanga1980
    Options

Yeah, I was so excited when I saw those posts and I cut out cardio. It didn't work for me really; I just lose more consistently when I do full on steady-state cardio (and a lot of it). Mostly I think because it wastes time (and I'm not in the kitchen snacking before dinner if I'm in the gym), and I can eat more and it is easier for me to hit a higher calorie goal every day.

For those that are doubters, its science. It's about spiking your metabolism and steady state cardio will slow it down as well as burn muscle and fat. If you are very overweight, yes, you will need HIIT cardio and steady state to burn fat. But if you have have 30 pounds or less to lose, the slow building of calorie intake and cutting does work. By the way, it all has to be good clean food :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed a difference between those that have never lost a lot of weight and those that have. For example, I have never been heavy. When I want to lose weight it's 5-15 pounds, tops. When I got very active, I was able to increase my calories and still lose weight-easy.

However , I constantly see people that have lost a ton of weight eating the same or less than me and not losing-even if they're active. They have been dieting for years in some cases. It will always be harder for someone that has lost a ton of weight. There's a lot going on in your body (hormones, genetics, fat cells) that can account for the difference. Take it slow and steady and it will come off
  • auddii
    Options
    kanga1980 wrote: »

For those that are doubters, its science. It's about spiking your metabolism and steady state cardio will slow it down as well as burn muscle and fat. If you are very overweight, yes, you will need HIIT cardio and steady state to burn fat. But if you have have 30 pounds or less to lose, the slow building of calorie intake and cutting does work. By the way, it all has to be good clean food :)

Um, yeah. I'll just keep doing what's working for me. And I really doubt that I'm losing muscle just because I decide to hop on the elliptical. I am lifting heavy (with progressive resistance) and eating a lot of protein. And clean eating doesn't affect things at all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    By the way, it all has to be good clean food :)

Please don't bring that nonsense into this thread. It was going so well.

• kanga1980
    Options
    You need to slowly increase so your body metabolism adjusts. Yes, if I jumped straight from maintenance to 800 calories above, I would gain. People throw around a lot of science. Mine just happens to be the right science. :) lol
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    At 2100 I lose .4 of a pound a week. Lift 3 or 4 times a week. Push,pull,legs. So about 4 maybe 5 hours a week. Just had a body fat test done and it said I was 13.6. I eat back 90 percent of my exercise calories. I have not logged in weeks. So no idea what I've actually been eating. Mostly everything I've seen.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure cardio will NOT lead to muscle lose if done in conjunction with lifting (and adequate protein intake) even for lean individuals.

Reverse dieting (where you slowly increase you intake) is generally a good idea but it doesn't allow one to eat 800 calories over maintenance and maintain. If that happens then you maintenance is actually increasing, which is awesome but I still find 800 calories hard to believe. I'd like to read some good articles on the subject if anyone has them.

And no. You don't have to eat "clean", whatever that means.
  • auddii
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Take it slow and steady and it will come off
    Yeah, I'm guessing I'll reach my goal weight about 6 months after I die at this point.

Haha. Trust me, I know the frustration.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and 153. I'm set to lose 1/2 lb per week. I'm meant to net 1,660 calories. I eat, on average 1,800-2,100 calories, depending on my exercise. On rest days, I try to eat 1,700 or under. I am a dancer, so I'm not able to get super accurate on my calorie burns. Based on how much I've lost various weeks, my dances burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories.

Edited to add: feel free to add me since I eat around 2,000 calories most days. I am nearing my weight loss goals, so I don't know how helpful it would be for you.