I've been advised to snack

Options
My personal trainer suggested that I eat a snack between meals, but I know (and have seen) what that does to me. As soon as I start snacking, I want to snack...and snack....and snack....so snacking leads to more snacking. And then boom. Calories gone. For the next 3 days I need to live on salads to try and keep a deficit.

Does it even make any difference to the speed of your metabolism as he claims? Can't I just stick with 3 meals a day?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism runs no matter what. Meal timing/frequency have no effect on it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It does not make any difference metabolism-wise.

I am kinda against snacking (though I do a bit) because I do see that multiple input opportunities make for multiplication of errors in tracking.

That, and I do think that expected easy access to food at all times, while a wonderful thing, might (just maybe) be a contributor to excessive consumption and weight gain.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer!
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    He also told me to eat a banana before I come for a weight training session so that I will have enough energy for my workout.... :confused:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It makes no difference to your metabolism, and I'm like you--snacking just makes me overeat. I do far better if I just eat at meal times or maybe schedule one planned snack (bring the food, eat nothing else) at a time when I know I'll be hungry, like after a workout. I could not lose doing the grazing thing, it would mess with my head. In fact, mostly eliminating snacking was the first thing I did and it has made it incredibly easy to eat a healthy diet and not overeat while losing all my weight.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Get a new trainer!

He's good with training...he just sucks with dieting advice apparently.
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    He also told me to eat a banana before I come for a weight training session so that I will have enough energy for my workout.... :confused:

That is not really a bad idea, many find themselves able to work out harder with a bit to run on. As for snacking, though, I suggest you eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full. If your hunger cues are messed up, stick to three-four solid meals for a while and see how you feel when you are in a good habit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    I reiterate....trade him in!
    I work out every morning at 5 fasted and seem to have plenty of energy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of trainers seem to be like that.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    For the next 3 days I need to live on salads to try and keep a deficit.

Why do you need to live on salads? There's many foods that will fit into a 'sensible' calorie goal that are more likely to fill you up. Also I would never listen to a PT for nutrition advice. The majority of PTs have no reputable qualifications in nutrition (there is the odd exception) and seem to perpetuate vast numbers of nutrition myths
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Get a new trainer!

Actually he admitted that himself. When I first hired him, he said that he can give me advice but I need to take it with a grain of salt. He's not qualified to give dieting advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Get a new trainer!

Use him for the actual training part. I know the trainer at my gym told a class to eat 1200 and not eat back exercise calories (last time I attended that one). There were a variety of size women in that room. Anywhere from 120-240ish pounds and that was her great advice.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't eat if you're not hungry. I think that's better advice.

As far as eating before a workout? Lots of people workout on empty stomachs. I'm sure that some who have done research into this can look up studies on fasted workouts. If I ate before a workout, it would come right back up. Do what feels right for you.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

Why do you need to live on salads? There's many foods that will fit into a 'sensible' calorie goal that are more likely to fill you up. Also I would never listen to a PT for nutrition advice. The majority of PTs have no reputable qualifications in nutrition (there is the odd exception) and seem to perpetuate vast numbers of nutrition myths

I don't really, but that's how little calories I have left if I had to snack. I snack enough to blow through today tomorrow and the day after's calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer!

stop asking him for diet advice then!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That's not good diet advice. You do need enough energy that you can work out and have easy to access energy you can use. You don't need to snack. Some people find that helpful, but I find it counterproductive. It is certainly not necessary.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Get a new trainer!

Use him for the actual training part. I know the trainer at my gym told a class to eat 1200 and not eat back exercise calories (last time I attended that one). There were a variety of size women in that room. Anywhere from 120-240ish pounds and that was her great advice.

Yeah, there's a woman at our gym that does that too. And she encourages everyone to be vegan. I used to be in her class. And then I hired him. She's the owner of the gym, and even he doesn't agree with her.

I don't think she can fire him though, he has the most experience out of all the trainers...even herself. Lol
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I don't really, but that's how little calories I have left if I had to snack. I snack enough to blow through today tomorrow and the day after's calories.

Do what works for you!

But what do you snack on that will blow through all your calories? A snack can be an apple and a portion size of cheese or a banana or two crackers with cheese or carrots and humus-... The list goes on and on :) I also wonder what your calorie goal is, if it is that easy to go over on.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    TheEats wrote: »

Do what works for you!

But what do you snack on that will blow through all your calories? A snack can be an apple and a portion size of cheese or a banana or two crackers with cheese or carrots and humus-... The list goes on and on :) I also wonder what your calorie goal is, if it is that easy to go over on.

My calorie goal is 1500. I don't eat back exercise calories as I'm trying to cut.

My maintenance is 1670 (I sit around most of the day).

The actual snacks are not the problem, the problem is that snacking encourages mindless eating in me. When I start I can't stop.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Some people do better with a little something to fuel their workouts, others don't. It's pretty individual.

Ferinstance, it's a swimmer thing to have a big ole bowl of oatmeal a couple of hours before a big swim. You need the carbs, right? FWIW, I do better fasted for a regular training swim and having eaten something more like bacon and eggs before the swim event. Other athletes really do need that bowl of oatmeal.

It depends on how your body responds, and it's a bit subjective. Test and see for yourself what works for you.