What are the foods you refuse to compromise on?

Options
I was reading a thread about "diet" foods in which a bunch of people talked about the things they thought were worth getting in "diet" versions - diet Coke rather than real, low fat mayo vs full fat, etc.

What is something that you are NOT willing to buy diet/low-cal/low-fat?

I generally prefer the whole-foods, less-processed version of things, but the things that I absolutely cannot under any circumstances compromise on are (1) bacon and (2) butter.

Replies

• bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Those are the top two I would have said also! The only other one I would add is ice cream. I only eat it like two times a year but when I do, it CANNOT be that frozen dessert bull$h!t.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Butter and cheese. Cheese should not taste like plastic.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Ew, I would never drink a diet coke! Ick. Instead I drink only water, and allow myself to have full sugar, delicious coke once a week.
    Otherwise, I can't really think of anything. I'll do the lower cal version of pretty much anything, it's not so bad.

Oh, I don't do low sodium soups. Why eat something with no flavor?
  • TwistedFlowers
    Options
    Butter, cheese, mead - you just can't substitute it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Beer. If I'm going to have it, it's NOT going to be a lite beer.

Cheese. Again, full fat or go home.

• rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    beer for sure. i love a vodka soda with lime on a hot summer's day but when it's -20C in the middle of winter all i want is stout.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, cheese, mayo, milk, peanut butter ( no pb2),
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Beer.

I don't want beer brewed the hard way. I want beer brewed the right way.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cheese, beer, and beef. Cheese is a given, low fat is just sadness. Beer - there's no point drinking it unless it tastes good, and a good, hoppy full figured beer makes me drink slower. Beef, I know I can get a lean steak, but it's never as good as a juicy marbeled one.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Brownies. If you're not melting real true chocolate and butter for the batter, get off my planet.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Anything dairy--cottage cheese, sour cream, etc. I can go with 2%, but fat free tastes like crap.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'd add to the cheese/dairy thing that I actually have learned to eat less of it if I get the good stuff. An ounce of good, strong, cheese goes farther than more of a milder kind. Think feta.
  • bella460
    Options
    coffee mate. gotta have it for my morning coffee. 2 cups!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Bacon (although I will eat turkey bacon), butter, peanut butter, cheese, milk, meat, wine.
  • silverbeam22
    silverbeam22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cheese, beer, and beef. Cheese is a given, low fat is just sadness. Beer - there's no point drinking it unless it tastes good, and a good, hoppy full figured beer makes me drink slower. Beef, I know I can get a lean steak, but it's never as good as a juicy marbeled one.

This.
  • blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Pasta, bread, dough, potatoes. Anything with the dreaded "carb" label. No - cauliflower and squash are not the same thing and don't taste "just like the real thing"
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Cheese! I will not accept anything less that real cheese.
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Dear God, I forgot about beer. Clearly I need to add that as number 3. I live in craft brew country, and I do not compromise with generic light crap. (I do like a lighter type of beer in the summer - but that means a Kolsch, not something with "lite" on the label.)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't use a lot of butter, but when I need butter in something, it has to be butter. The substitute is plastic, imo. I don't really eat any "diet food," but I have made a lot of healthy substitutions to my diet and eat mostly whole foods.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Always cheese.