What are the foods you refuse to compromise on?

Options

Replies

• mummyappleseed
    mummyappleseed Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Tried a lot of diet products but the no fat us rurally means hidden sugars or chemicals that are debated as being dangerous like aspartame. :(
    Would not try anything that replicates carb foods again like carb free rice or pasta. Most revolting things I've ever eaten were pasta substitution tasted like horribly over cooked squid with a coating of plastic & extra slime. Gross
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I don't use a lot of butter, but when I need butter in something, it has to be butter. The substitute is plastic, imo. I don't really eat any "diet food," but I have made a lot of healthy substitutions to my diet and eat mostly whole foods.
    Agree with you there.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I workout, I eat. I don't compromise the gift of food.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Buttered toast!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    bread bread bread bread. I love a good loaf.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Salted butter and Duke's mayo.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I will not give up my 2% milk and Nesquick powder in the mornings. Have drank this all my life and I love it. I have cut back but will not give it up. I also have to say my homemade wine.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese, has to be full fat. Any cheese, really. Cheese is literally made from fat.

Beer. Light beer tastes like water, and it only has less calories because it has less alcohol, so that seems illogical to me. None of this skinny girl wine or vodka either, thanks.

Steak. I like my New York strip and all its marbled fat. Filet minion just looks sad to me.

Smoked meat. I like it fatty, it's where the moisture and tenderness comes from. I briefly worked at a delicatessen years and years ago and we actually discouraged people who tried to order a lean sandwich, and if they wouldn't listen, they were charged extra.

Butter, though I wouldn't have thought to say it until you mentioned it, just because I don't really consider margarine a substitute. Does it even have less fat or calories? Isn't it just hydrogenated canola oil?

Bacon, again, because it was mentioned. I was going to say we don't have low-fat bacon in Canada until someone mentioned turkey bacon. No thanks, I like my crispy pork fat.

The only thing I'll substitute is low-fat Hellman's mayo, but we buy both since my boyfriend likes the full-fat version, so I tend to use both, depending on my mood and what I'm making. Though I suppose I rarely use mayo either way.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    If you want beer with less calories, drink Guinness. It has a lower alcohol content and therefore less calories. Plus, you know, a pint of Guinness on a cold night is the absolute best.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ashleycde wrote: »
    Cream cheese, has to be full fat. Any cheese, really. Cheese is literally made from fat.

Steak. I like my New York strip and all its marbled fat. Filet minion just looks sad to me.
    Agreed on the cheese (as said earlier). For steak? nah. I love a good filet. Or a lean sirloin. Glad both are available!
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    I had thought cheese a while ago. However grated Romano or any other hard cheese goes really far with a LOT less calories. When I have a cheese craving (often, it's my husband's FAVORITE evening snack) I have 6 "Laughing Cow" cheese cubes. 80 calories. It does the trick.

And yes.... although I would not consider myself a "beer drinker", I would not do Corona Light or Coronita... give me the real thing (and it's not bad with 128 calories), and I do love a Guiness (it's an excellent source of iron).

And ashleycde... there's a reason we are RENOWNED for our "Canadian Bacon"... there IS NO substitute!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Cheese. I tried reduced fat cheese one time. Blech!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    bella460 wrote: »
    coffee mate. gotta have it for my morning coffee. 2 cups!

Me too! I tried to give it up and use milk instead. I lasted one week. Nothing (except for real cream) comes close to the silky yumminess of Coffeemate.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't compromise on anything as I'm practicing moderation, and I like the taste of things that I eat. I'd never eat low fat cheese (or low fat products in general), and ketchup other than Heinz doesn't taste good. It helps that I don't like sweet or fizzy drinks.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    First: I love everyone in here who refuses to succumb to light beer.

Second: Bacon, whipped cream (extra creamy or gtfo), and cheese. I'll do "part-skim" without an issue, but "light" cheese is only in my diet under protest.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    butter
    cheese
    steak
    brownies
    cake
    buttercream frosting
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Wine, mayo. I think that's it.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I won't compromise on full fat dairy and butter. I embrace full fat everything. Low fat versions are bogus.
  • brionuh
    Options
    absolutely beer! i can't stand a light beer, i'd rather just drink a really tasty beer, take the hit for it, and have a great day the next day haha