Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

What the raging donkey dick is GMO-Free salt?

"We raise our rocks the natural way!"

Keep your filthy science off my salt's DNA!

http://io9.com/80-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-cont-1680277802

I read this a week or so ago and nearly cried.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Correction : "We go to Himalayas and raise our rocks the natural way"

Well of course. There's no Monsanto in the Himalayas.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

*Monsatan - FTFY
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

http://io9.com/80-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-cont-1680277802

This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a joke.

nope. It makes me want to punch a baby. or a kitten.
    or someone.

AH- a politician!!!
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a joke.

nope. It makes me want to punch a baby. or a kitten.
    or someone.

AH- a politician!!!

I think I feel the same way right now. *sigh*
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

*Monsatan - FTFY

MonSatan.jpg?width=358&height=482

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If these are items that actually cost the restaurant more, then of course they're going to charge more. But if they're charging more for a salad, she might have a case.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Eat at home and stop whining.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    gwensoul wrote: »
    ashleycde wrote: »
    You never see Canadians out there suing places. I accidentally had boiling hot water spilled on my hand at a coffee shop, had a big scar for years, and I didn't go suing anyone over an accident. Has anyone sued Starbucks over charging more for soy or lactose-free milk too? I stopped ordering lattes after they revoked the free milk surcharge for Starbucks card holders, but I didn't go crying about it.

The coffee case is one of those that is really misunderstood. McDonalds had over 700 cases of burns and held their coffee at a much higher temp then recommended which caused the lady (who was sitting in a non moving vehicle) to get 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body. If the store had held the coffee at the correct temperature no burns woudl have happened. She originally asked for $20k but was awarded more in punitive damages by the jury, although the final amount was greatly reduced. For comparison, Tim Hortons (in Canada) was sued for $2 million (awarded $70K) over hot potato soup burns. (Laflamme c. Groupe TDL ltée, 2014 QCCS 312)

Canada doesn't get a free pass, there are plenty of bad lawsuits out there all over. Less actaully go to court than you think though, anyone can file, but most are dismissed early on.

nope. not buying it.
    you're still an idiot if you spill you're coffee while driving-that's you're fault. it's not like you didn't know it wasn't hot. come on. She's still a nit wit.

Dunkin's coffee comes out of a nuclear reactor- I know this- and this is why I make sure it and it's lid are firmly secure before I drive off in my car. You shouldn't be able to sue because you have no godda*n common sense.

Maybe you'd "buy" it if you'd seen the geriatric old lady writhing in pain and screaming as she tried to rip off her clothes. Or seen the horrendous burns all over her vagina and buttocks. She originally asked for a small sum to cover medical expenses as well as a new corp policy that would prepare coffee no hotter than a certain (super reasonable) temp. They refused. The jury flipped out and ROASTED them.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    gwensoul wrote: »
    ashleycde wrote: »
    You never see Canadians out there suing places. I accidentally had boiling hot water spilled on my hand at a coffee shop, had a big scar for years, and I didn't go suing anyone over an accident. Has anyone sued Starbucks over charging more for soy or lactose-free milk too? I stopped ordering lattes after they revoked the free milk surcharge for Starbucks card holders, but I didn't go crying about it.

The coffee case is one of those that is really misunderstood. McDonalds had over 700 cases of burns and held their coffee at a much higher temp then recommended which caused the lady (who was sitting in a non moving vehicle) to get 3rd degree burns over 6% of her body. If the store had held the coffee at the correct temperature no burns woudl have happened. She originally asked for $20k but was awarded more in punitive damages by the jury, although the final amount was greatly reduced. For comparison, Tim Hortons (in Canada) was sued for $2 million (awarded $70K) over hot potato soup burns. (Laflamme c. Groupe TDL ltée, 2014 QCCS 312)

Canada doesn't get a free pass, there are plenty of bad lawsuits out there all over. Less actaully go to court than you think though, anyone can file, but most are dismissed early on.

nope. not buying it.
    you're still an idiot if you spill you're coffee while driving-that's you're fault. it's not like you didn't know it wasn't hot. come on. She's still a nit wit.

Dunkin's coffee comes out of a nuclear reactor- I know this- and this is why I make sure it and it's lid are firmly secure before I drive off in my car. You shouldn't be able to sue because you have no godda*n common sense.

Maybe you'd "buy" it if you'd seen the geriatric old lady writhing in pain and screaming as she tried to rip off her clothes. Or seen the horrendous burns all over her vagina and buttocks. She originally asked for a small sum to cover medical expenses as well as a new corp policy that would prepare coffee no hotter than a certain (super reasonable) temp. They refused. The jury flipped out and ROASTED them.

We already went over this. Someone also included pictures of her burns.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    gsager wrote: »
    Eat at home and stop whining.
    LOL!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I have to pay extra for petite sized clothes and then pay again to have them tailored because I'm short. Should I sue the clothing industry for discrimination?

Come on, folks. Restaurants are trying to accommodate your dietary needs, and you respond by suing them?

This. And women's products are always more expensive than men's (plus I'm paid less to do the same damn job as my male counterpart, but that's for another thread).
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    I think the general consensus from the gluten-free folk is that we'd gladly pay to not be sick for the occasional meal we're actually risking our health for by eating out. The woman initiating the lawsuit is a jerk. This is why we can't have nice things.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus from the gluten-free folk is that we'd gladly pay to not be sick for the occasional meal we're actually risking our health for by eating out. The woman initiating the lawsuit is a jerk. This is why we can't have nice things.

I didn't read the lawsuit but she probably doesn't even have celiacs!

• NJGamerChick
    Options

I didn't read the lawsuit but she probably doesn't even have celiacs!

It doesn't actually say. It's very short.
  • Adrianox85
    Adrianox85 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Devil's advocate here. Should a wheelchair bound person have to pay a surcharge on their order if a wheelchair ramp is installed for disabled people? Just curious what everyones opinion on that would be.
  • tincanonastring
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Adrianox85 wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here and as a person who suffers from celiac disease. Should a wheelchair bound person have to pay a surcharge on their order if a wheelchair ramp is installed for disabled people? Just curious what everyones opinion on that would be.

Is celiac disease a disability? I'm not sure it's an appropriate comparison.

ETA: I'm not saying it's not a disability. I just don't know if all conditions count as disabilities deserving of protection. I have a pretty nasty immune system disorder that should limit what I eat, but I don't know that I would qualify for disability protection.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    If you haven't - @JoRocka I would suggest when you get time see the HBO documentary "Hot Coffee".
    If you have already seen the documentary and your comments are based after you have watched the movie in that case .... OHH!! Well!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Devil's advocate here. Should a wheelchair bound person have to pay a surcharge on their order if a wheelchair ramp is installed for disabled people? Just curious what everyones opinion on that would be.

it doesn't cost anyone else anything to walk in either.

This isn't a matter of paying or not paying. It costs more to provide a product you want. You'll pay for it. If you don't want that product- don't buy that product.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    Devil's advocate here and as a person who suffers from celiac disease. Should a wheelchair bound person have to pay a surcharge on their order if a wheelchair ramp is installed for disabled people? Just curious what everyones opinion on that would be.

Is celiac disease a disability? I'm not sure it's an appropriate comparison.

It can be, depending on the damage that has ensued due to not adhering to a gluten-free diet. But no, I don't think it's an appropriate comparison. I think a more suitable comparison would be something to do with an allergy. For example, someone with a soy allergy requesting replacement of tofu with chicken in their dish, though they would not be eating at PF Changs anyways.