Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    WOW. As someone who has to eat gluten free, there is so much misinformation here.

1. I hate how frivolous this lawsuit is. It's just hurting the gluten-free population more. I'd gladly pay up if it means I'm not in pain/sick for 3+ weeks because of cross contamination and whatnot. All this will do is remove menus that allow people who must eat gluten free from living a more social and normal life.
    2. Cross contamination is harmful for people who are genuine sufferers. The simple act of not changing gloves between prep could make someone significantly ill.
    3. Some people who are celiac cannot even go near bakeries without having repercussions. The sensitivity can run that deep.
    4. It's a sad life for many, and sometimes we just want to have a little something without having to be arsed. I am happy to find out that a place has a dedicated fryer for something as simple as fries. So happy at times that I've almost cried. But many times I've sat around while others ate, just with a cup of coffee because literally nothing was safe but the drinks. As long as we aren't harassed for it, I'm ok with that, too. Some places will try and charge an empty plate fee for it, which is stupid.
    5. Those of us who have to be gluten free for health reasons (because we're diagnosed as having issues with gluten itself) are very much annoyed by the fad status. It gives people lots of misinformation and fodder to be demeaning because we have medical issues. It should be treated much like an allergy, but it's not always taken as seriously. If someone who has a seafood allergy orders a burger, the area of the grill they make the burger would be scrubbed if they make something like salmon burgers, and fresh utensils used. Same protocol should be used.
    6. I'm willing to answer gluten free questions, as long as people are civil. Been doing this for 4 years. I'm sure others who are Celiac will also. There really is no reason to knock us for just not wanting to live life being sick. Afterall, isn't that in the end why most of us are here?

Not sure what I'm forgetting, but I know something is missing.

P. S. If someone tries to take away my coffee, I will cut them.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    w3c4w33lgeya.jpg

Now that's overkill. Though I'm sure someone will whine about the vinegar (corn based) not being GMO. Regular pickles are a naturally GF food. :p
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had a pickle that advertised it was non gmo and gluten free

I saw an ad today for GMO-free salt... yeah.

Not this particular brand, but similar labeling. Also labeled "gluten free" LOL!

tumblr_nihx24kWfr1qkn2y7o1_500.jpg

What the heck is GMO-Free salt?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

"We raise our rocks the natural way!"
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    [P. S. If someone tries to take away my coffee, I will cut them.

This seems to be the thread that connects us all...as long as it's gluten free coffee for the same price as the regular coffee.
  • NJGamerChick
    edited February 2015
    Options

Not this particular brand, but similar labeling. Also labeled "gluten free" LOL!

LOL! Beats me! Happy someone asked.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I've seen water listed as gluten free.

I literally. cannot. even.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    WOW. As someone who has to eat gluten free, there is so much misinformation here.

1. I hate how frivolous this lawsuit is. It's just hurting the gluten-free population more. I'd gladly pay up if it means I'm not in pain/sick for 3+ weeks because of cross contamination and whatnot. All this will do is remove menus that allow people who must eat gluten free from living a more social and normal life.
    2. Cross contamination is harmful for people who are genuine sufferers. The simple act of not changing gloves between prep could make someone significantly ill.
    3. Some people who are celiac cannot even go near bakeries without having repercussions. The sensitivity can run that deep.
    4. It's a sad life for many, and sometimes we just want to have a little something without having to be arsed. I am happy to find out that a place has a dedicated fryer for something as simple as fries. So happy at times that I've almost cried. But many times I've sat around while others ate, just with a cup of coffee because literally nothing was safe but the drinks. As long as we aren't harassed for it, I'm ok with that, too. Some places will try and charge an empty plate fee for it, which is stupid.
    5. Those of us who have to be gluten free for health reasons (because we're diagnosed as having issues with gluten itself) are very much annoyed by the fad status. It gives people lots of misinformation and fodder to be demeaning because we have medical issues. It should be treated much like an allergy, but it's not always taken as seriously. If someone who has a seafood allergy orders a burger, the area of the grill they make the burger would be scrubbed if they make something like salmon burgers, and fresh utensils used. Same protocol should be used.
    6. I'm willing to answer gluten free questions, as long as people are civil. Been doing this for 4 years. I'm sure others who are Celiac will also. There really is no reason to knock us for just not wanting to live life being sick. Afterall, isn't that in the end why most of us are here?

Not sure what I'm forgetting, but I know something is missing.

P. S. If someone tries to take away my coffee, I will cut them.

Well said :D
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This seems to be the thread that connects us all...as long as it's gluten free coffee for the same price as the regular coffee.

Caffeine is a psycho-active drug and should be banned.

• SapiensPisces
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

1273.gif

ETA: this was the original gif

jason_chainsaw.gif

• tincanonastring
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

1273.gif

This is the only acceptable response to such blasphemy. Or at least it was when it was the chainsaw gif.
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

What the raging donkey dick is GMO-Free salt?

Wait, really? Serious? Plain water? I don't... I'm stupified.

This is exactly why those of us have issues aren't taken seriously.

You know it!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm sad about this. My daughter has diagnosed celiac disease, & even though it's a little more expensive, we were happy that we could find a few places we could still go out to eat at. It's difficult enough to find gluten free out, especially places that are specifically trained to prevent cross contamination. I hope it doesn't discourage places from offering gluten free.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Near me, this place just opened: http://froyochicago.com/

Their signs convey the numerous ways that they will meet your every dietary restriction, especially (but not only) the more trendy ones. They are allegedly:

"the first frozen yogurt shop in Chicago to offer organic flavors and toppings."

"Non-GMO, Fair Trade, Organic, and locally sourced"

"dairy free" and "soy free!" with "vegan sorbets and a delicious low-fat vegan hot cocoa."

"café drinks can be made with almond or soy milk for no additional charge"

"Our organic froyo is gluten-free and certified kosher"

"delicious products in the raw"

It both cracks me up and distresses me about my neighborhood, alternatively. (For the record, I'm happy that people who need gluten free can find products, and I guess maybe there's some sort of cross contamination issue with yogurt or they mean the cones? But in my neighborhood I'm sure the market for gluten free is mostly not celiacs, and it's probably big business.)
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Keep your filthy science off my salt's DNA!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You know it!

yes- plain bottled water.

I think I saw naval oranges listed that way once too.
    You can ban a lot of things- but if you ban coffee- all of the world will cease to function. And then they will go murder the coffee banning party- and then we can live on our lives in peace.

I have a magnet on my fridge that says
    COFFEE!!!!
    MAKE BAD DECISIONS AND DO STUPID THINGS FASTER!!!!

It makes me happy.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options

http://io9.com/80-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-cont-1680277802
  • NJGamerChick
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It both cracks me up and distresses me about my neighborhood, alternatively. (For the record, I'm happy that people who need gluten free can find products, and I guess maybe there's some sort of cross contamination issue with yogurt or they mean the cones? But in my neighborhood I'm sure the market for gluten free is mostly not celiacs, and it's probably big business.)

There is a point where even I ask, if it's free of so much, what the hell is it made of?

The gluten-free can also be the flavorings and some of the toppings. Thickeners sometimes are in question. For those who must be gluten-free, it is dizzying how many places it can hide. Usually vanilla is safe, not that I eat froyo more than once every 10 years, but I can't imagine that a properly cleaned machine could screw it up with cross contamination.

You're right though, those who are into the fad are the ones who splurge on all the gf products. If you look at any gluten-free group with sufferers, we stick to naturally gluten-free foods 95% of the time. The specialty foods are a treat.

You know it!

yes- plain bottled water.

I think I saw naval oranges listed that way once too.

*headdesk*
    You can ban a lot of things- but if you ban coffee- all of the world will cease to function. And then they will go murder the coffee banning party- and then we can live on our lives in peace.

I have a magnet on my fridge that says
    COFFEE!!!!
    MAKE BAD DECISIONS AND DO STUPID THINGS FASTER!!!!

It makes me happy.

I will agree. Kill anyone who bans coffee. I need it! I must have coffee. As a Brazilian, it is an integral part of my DNA. HAHA!

I want that magnet! <3
  • NJGamerChick
    Options

http://io9.com/80-of-americans-support-mandatory-labels-on-foods-cont-1680277802

This is a joke, right? Please tell me this is a joke.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Correction : "We go to Himalayas and raise our rocks the natural way"