Lawsuit 'Discriminatory' Gluten-Free Menu

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Bacon gluten free? Only if you buy gluten free bacon.
    Explain this to me. Small words if possible, since I only went to culinary school and art school, so my STEM background is a little light...

I've probably cured out 600-700 pounds of bacon over the last couple few years. What part of salt, sodium nitrate, maple syrup, and herbs/spices has wheat gluten?

Some spices can contain gluten. Some things like horseradish can contain distilled grain vinegar and some spices can contain flour to prevent clumping.

Also, depending on what kind of bacon you're buying can have caramel color (gluten) and other spices that contain gluten.
    Which spices and which purveyors?

Even market brand spices are what they say on the container. That turmeric is turmeric.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I had a pickle that advertised it was non gmo and gluten free
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    I had a pickle that advertised it was non gmo and gluten free

I saw an ad today for GMO-free salt... yeah.

Not this particular brand, but similar labeling. Also labeled "gluten free" LOL!

tumblr_nihx24kWfr1qkn2y7o1_500.jpg

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.

Would it be so bad for celiacs to learn to cook for themselves or eat non-bready things? Is it so bad eating grains that don't involve wheat, eating more vegetables and proteins?

Seriously, even though I'm not celiac, I learned how to cook because most restaurants really make you a crap meal for the price you pay. Like, almost anywhere you go. I can cook a steak better than 90% of the restaurants I eat at, barring legit steakhouses. Ditto for the salmon my wife loves. LEARN TO COOK! LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT HAMBURGER BUNS! For Pete's sake, you can still eat french fries and buffalo wings, we're just talking about gluten. The biggest injustice you face is not being able to consume beer and I rarely hear celiacs complaining about that.

Your half the knowledge displayed confidently is a serious life threatening danger for someone else.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    But it's been my experience -- as a Canadian who has travelled around the world quite a few times -- that only Americans expect this sort of accommodation.
    My current job is very international, and the only "special" snowflakes are the US customers. They expect accommodation for EVERYTHING. "My power went out and I lost X, it's not fair, fix it for me!" No. "You iz a jerks!"

I studied abroad with a girl with Celiac's in New Zealand and good god was she demanding to not only the people doing the group cooking, and they always made her something different, but also was flat out appalled that there weren't GF options everywhere. She didn't understand that with like 4 million people, there wasn't a market for it and the world didn't actually revolve around her.
  • dbmata
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Back to the original topic, my fear is that this lawsuit could cause restaurants to stop offering gluten free menus, that would be very very bad for all celiacs.

Would it be so bad for celiacs to learn to cook for themselves or eat non-bready things? Is it so bad eating grains that don't involve wheat, eating more vegetables and proteins?

Seriously, even though I'm not celiac, I learned how to cook because most restaurants really make you a crap meal for the price you pay. Like, almost anywhere you go. I can cook a steak better than 90% of the restaurants I eat at, barring legit steakhouses. Ditto for the salmon my wife loves. LEARN TO COOK! LEARN TO LIVE WITHOUT HAMBURGER BUNS! For Pete's sake, you can still eat french fries and buffalo wings, we're just talking about gluten. The biggest injustice you face is not being able to consume beer and I rarely hear celiacs complaining about that.

Your half the knowledge displayed confidently is a serious life threatening danger for someone else.
    wut?

I don't understand what you are trying to convey.
  • dbmata
    edited February 2015
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    But it's been my experience -- as a Canadian who has travelled around the world quite a few times -- that only Americans expect this sort of accommodation.
    My current job is very international, and the only "special" snowflakes are the US customers. They expect accommodation for EVERYTHING. "My power went out and I lost X, it's not fair, fix it for me!" No. "You iz a jerks!"

I studied abroad with a girl with Celiac's in New Zealand and good god was she demanding to not only the people doing the group cooking, and they always made her something different, but also was flat out appalled that there weren't GF options everywhere. She didn't understand that with like 4 million people, there wasn't a market for it and the world didn't actually revolve around her.

Yeah, not surprising. It's a culture of entitlement. Which brings us back to this lawsuit.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Explain this to me. Small words if possible, since I only went to culinary school and art school, so my STEM background is a little light...

I've probably cured out 600-700 pounds of bacon over the last couple few years. What part of salt, sodium nitrate, maple syrup, and herbs/spices has wheat gluten?

Some spices can contain gluten. Some things like horseradish can contain distilled grain vinegar and some spices can contain flour to prevent clumping.

Also, depending on what kind of bacon you're buying can have caramel color (gluten) and other spices that contain gluten.

Even market brand spices are what they say on the container. That turmeric is turmeric.

My curry masala better be curry masala!
  • dbmata
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

My curry masala better be curry masala!
    If that snozzberry doesn't taste like snozzberries, I'm cutting someone.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • dbmata
    Options
    and that's why I dislike hipsters.
  • SapiensPisces
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    w3c4w33lgeya.jpg

LMAO
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eff me, I love pickles <3
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My current job is very international, and the only "special" snowflakes are the US customers. They expect accommodation for EVERYTHING.
    I worked a pretty international resort over the summer and I found that people from all nationalities were all pretty equally douche-y. There were a couple groups from specific nationalities that were actually far worse than any others, and it wasn't the Americans. (Though, again, I did have a lot of *kitten* Americans—just the other groups in particular were far, far worse.)

• dbmata
    Options
    Interesting N7 pic, ME3 concept art?
  • SapiensPisces
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Interesting N7 pic, ME3 concept art?

Nods. Mix of Faora from Man of Steel and FemShep

Artist is Linda Kindt

http://isriana.deviantart.com/art/Faora-Shepard-385585842
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

And just think -- she's one of the people who actually had the experience of study abroad, and is therefore actually among the percentage of Americans who are most aware of the outside world.

Scary thought.
  • dbmata
    Options
    ah. reminds me of the n7 motorcycle jacket I wanted.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hahahah you know what's going to happen if she wins? Everyone will have to pay $1 more for everything on the menu so that the restaurant can cover the cost of the more expensive gluten free items. It's not the same as removing an ingredient (eg. peanuts). They actually have to purchase more expensive items to make their menu gluten free friendly. At least that's the thinking of my tired brain here.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    And just think -- she's one of the people who actually had the experience of study abroad, and is therefore actually among the percentage of Americans who are most aware of the outside world.
    Personally I've never found that someone having had studied abroad actually made them legitimately more aware of the outside world. Sure, they've seen it, but that doesn't mean they actually learned anything culturally—or how to behave like a normal human. (But that applies to people from other countries, too.)