Egg whites

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I would beat the whites into stiff peaks, add a little flour plus cheese and veggies, or else Splenda and cocoa, and bake up some souffles. I could eat those all day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yes, a nice bechamel, some well whipped whites... and boom.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole damn egg. Unless I'm making meringues. mmmmm....meringues...with chocolate chips
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Gaston-Juggling-Eggs-Beauty-and-the-Beast.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I've been trying to follow Jamie Easons live fit trainer program and the diet calls for 5 egg white in morning and at night, I usually eat 2 egg white omlette and tat itself I gulp. I'm not sure how to manage 5 egg whites twice a day. How do you all eat your egg whites. Any ideas?

I eat the whole egg and to add volume and additional protein without the calorie hit, I add egg whites from a carton. Basically I have 2 whole eggs every morning and I poor in the equivalent of two eggs from my egg white carton...
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi, so I've been trying to follow Jamie Easons live fit trainer program and the diet calls for 5 egg white in morning and at night, I usually eat 2 egg white omlette and tat itself I gulp. I'm not sure how to manage 5 egg whites twice a day. How do you all eat your egg whites. Any ideas?

I eat the whole egg and to add volume and additional protein without the calorie hit, I add egg whites from a carton. Basically I have 2 whole eggs every morning and I poor in the equivalent of two eggs from my egg white carton...

but it's not really the equivalent of two eggs if you're pouring from a carton, since you know, all the nutritious stuff from that delicious yellow circle isn't there.

Eggs have such a bad rap from bad science.

Besides, how can you not want to eat these cute little guys.

10be494e2f4e9aa87d9f23da7a322e52.jpg

• lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To the replies getting way off track about yolk vs white, sometimes a diet plan isn't just simply about staying within a caloric budget! If macro splits are a concern, and they should be, egg whites definitely have a place at the table (literally and metaphorically). Egg whites are an amazing food pick for high protein:calorie ratio.

OP, to make egg whites more palatable without messing up macro or calorie splits too much, try mixing in some of these! Rotate around until you find a few you like.

-- HOT SAUCE! find your favorite and put that ish on everything, yo
    -- salsa
    -- lemon pepper
    -- garlic
    -- paprika
    -- tarragon ( + goat cheese if you can fit it into your plan, so good)
    -- diced onions

edit to add some more ideas:
    -- cinnamon (don't knock it til you try it)
    -- red pepper flakes
    -- Mrs. Dash (be sure to drink a lot of water to account for the sodium)
    -- diced jalapenos
    -- cajun seasoning
    -- cumin
    -- turmeric
    -- pretty much anything in your spice cabinet, go nuts!

I've also heard about this, but have never tried it.. I'm not quite this intense about my diet: flavored egg whites
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I always have at least 4 for breakfast. I eat it in various ways - veggie scramble, sandwiches, omelets, on the side.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Can I have your yolks? I don't get the point of eggs without the delicious yolks.
    A lot of low fat low cal protein. I love real eggs too but they don't always fit into the day.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I usually just make an egg white omelette with 4 or 5 eggs. Its a bit much but lots of protein and not many calories is a winning combo. Yolks are gross anyway :-)
  • dbmata
    Options
    they have a horrid volume to nutrition ratio.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I know there will be ranting about salmonella (even though the odds of getting it from an egg have dropped to almost zero these days) but I used to throw a couple of them raw into a fruit smoothie. It actually can sort of improve the texture and there is absolutely no taste.

I could see it grossing someone out in concept, but if it doesn't bug you, they really are great that way.

@FoCoAlphaNerd‌ I agree. I've been adding raw eggs to smoothies and protein shakes for years and never had a problem. It makes them so much creamier.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    A one that isn't cold, is hardly a one at all. Eggs without yolk, but what do you dip your toast in?

Double deuce for the Strong Bad reference!

BRHpRow.png

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This is almost exactly what I do. It's not wasteful because the yolks are sold off separately for baking purposes or other uses.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So I know there will be ranting about salmonella (even though the odds of getting it from an egg have dropped to almost zero these days) but I used to throw a couple of them raw into a fruit smoothie. It actually can sort of improve the texture and there is absolutely no taste.

I could see it grossing someone out in concept, but if it doesn't bug you, they really are great that way.

@FoCoAlphaNerd‌ I agree. I've been adding raw eggs to smoothies and protein shakes for years and never had a problem. It makes them so much creamier.

Well, for the rants about salmonella, it's easy to home pasteurize eggs, so that's not even an issue anymore.
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks have cholesterol, and some people, like me, don't like the taste of them. I boil eggs and eat just the whites.

Ditto.
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hard boil my eggs and eat them as snacks (maybe one yolk here and there) and then I also add my egg whites to salads and wraps.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    This sounds wasteful, expensive, not sustainable and IMO, disgusting.

this this thiiiiis.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

I do this too for omelets. I'll add a bit of carton egg white if frying or scrambling too. BUt I'm not going to down 10 egg whites a day, just.... no lol.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah... try to follow another program.