Egg whites

Options

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wonder why people can't just answer a question without trying to psychoanalyze the OP or provide their useless observations for what works for them, as you know, the OP is not them.

Egg whites are an excellent way to add more protein without adding fat. Simple.

I'm not following any one particular plan but I do use the liquid egg whites from a carton to add more protein to my diet, without adding more fat, and its in a way where I can easily add it to a smoothie.

Yes fat is something I'm watching. I'd rather get my fat from nuts or coconut oil, thanks for asking.

I don't like to eat a lot of meat, I don't like to eat cooked eggs most of the time. It can be difficult for me to get enough protein, and I'm trying to limit saturated fats to a certain amount. Egg yolks would destroy that goal. I don't separate yolks from full eggs so I'm not wasting a darn thing. I have done that in the past, and my dogs enjoyed the yolk very much. Egg whites are an easy to obtain protein with very little of anything else in them. I'd hide the protein in my mid-morning pumpkin oatmeal smoothie.

If thats all you need to get more of, protein, in your diet with all other macros but protein being met from other sources, and you enjoy all those other sources and could give a crap about a yolk, then there is no reason to not simply have egg whites.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    I wonder why people can't just answer a question without trying to psychoanalyze the OP or provide their useless observations for what works for them, as you know, the OP is not them.

I'm not following any one particular plan but I do use the liquid egg whites from a carton to add more protein to my diet, without adding more fat, and its in a way where I can easily add it to a smoothie.

Yes fat is something I'm watching. I'd rather get my fat from nuts or coconut oil, thanks for asking.

I don't like to eat a lot of meat, I don't like to eat cooked eggs most of the time. It can be difficult for me to get enough protein, and I'm trying to limit saturated fats to a certain amount. Egg yolks would destroy that goal. I don't separate yolks from full eggs so I'm not wasting a darn thing. I have done that in the past, and my dogs enjoyed the yolk very much. Egg whites are an easy to obtain protein with very little of anything else in them. I'd hide the protein in my mid-morning pumpkin oatmeal smoothie.

If thats all you need to get more of, protein, in your diet with all other macros but protein being met from other sources, and you enjoy all those other sources and could give a crap about a yolk, then there is no reason to not simply have egg whites.
    Then goes on to tell everyone that animal sources of fat are bad and only good enough for their dog when the question was about protein. I'm sure that is exactly what the OP wanted to hear. Lol, I love this place, it's fun.

• successgal1
    Options

Then goes on to tell everyone that animal sources of fat are bad and only good enough for their dog when the question was about protein. I'm sure that is exactly what the OP wanted to hear. Lol, I love this place, it's fun.

Where, exactly, did I say animal sources are bad? I said I don't LIKE them, not that they are bad.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options

Where, exactly, did I say animal sources are bad? I said I don't LIKE them, not that they are bad.
    Of course you love animal fat aka saturated fat and the dreaded cholesterol, but you rather have nuts and coconuts, well you convince me, my mistake.

• Egg yolks have cholesterol, and some people, like me, don't like the taste of them. I boil eggs and eat just the whites.

I do the same thing! I cant stand the taste of a hard boiled egg yolks! Yucky yuck. When I make scrambled eggs I use 5 egg whites and just 1 yolk.
  • successgal1
    Options

Of course you love animal fat aka saturated fat and the dreaded cholesterol, but you rather have nuts and coconuts, well you convince me, my mistake.

I said nothing about cholesterol. My doctor wants me to stay low on saturated fats, and for TASTE I prefer nuts or coconut oil over egg yolks and meat. This is the personal preference of my palate, and you are living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Because OP could have simple asked 'Hey I need some ideas to jazz up egg whites'. Or done a search for one of the hundreds of threads already discussing egg white recipes. But she said she's on a plan that has her eating 10 (TEN!) egg whites in a day and she's not sure how she's going to 'manage' that. SO DON'T! Find a plan with more palatable options.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I love egg whites, one wedge of laughing cow cheese (pepperjack jack is my favorite), a dash of salt, pepper, and onion powder. Microwave for 2 minutes, chop it up, and plop into 1/2 a pita pocket. Super quick breakfast sandwich.
  • successgal1
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

Because OP could have simple asked 'Hey I need some ideas to jazz up egg whites'. Or done a search for one of the hundreds of threads already discussing egg white recipes. But she said she's on a plan that has her eating 10 (TEN!) egg whites in a day and she's not sure how she's going to 'manage' that. SO DON'T! Find a plan with more palatable options.

Hey! That's really helpful to the OP! Yup, telling the OP that they need better writing skills is certainly the way to go. She asked how to get more egg whites, she didn't ask to switch her diet plan.

As bad as the person telling me that the more palatable choices I chose, is wrong.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the yolk?
    This. Yolks > whites.

Also eating 10 egg whites a day is stupid. Sorry, but the plan you are considering, just based on this info alone, is super stupid.

Telling her that the plan she is considering is " super stupid' is not constructive feedback! I eat about 8-10 egg white a day and choose to get my fat sources not only from the yolks at times but also from other means - avocado, olive oil, nuts, ect. If she is on a particular plan that limits her fats, then 5 grams of fat per egg yolk is probably not the best way to get it everyday. Instead of just tearing down her plan, give her some feedback that is helpful!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I said nothing about cholesterol. My doctor wants me to stay low on saturated fats, and for TASTE I prefer nuts or coconut oil over egg yolks and meat. This is the personal preference of my palate, and you are living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise.

You said nothing about anything.

Your post had a general whining about being off topic (which was off topic), then some irrelevant content about nothing in particular that made any sense.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

A search?

This is the internet, no one SEARCHES for anything! What do you think this is, a library?
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    kmblank wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the yolk?
    This. Yolks > whites.

Also eating 10 egg whites a day is stupid. Sorry, but the plan you are considering, just based on this info alone, is super stupid.

Telling her that the plan she is considering is " super stupid' is not constructive feedback! I eat about 8-10 egg white a day and choose to get my fat sources not only from the yolks at times but also from other means - avocado, olive oil, nuts, ect. If she is on a particular plan that limits her fats, then 5 grams of fat per egg yolk is probably not the best way to get it everyday. Instead of just tearing down her plan, give her some feedback that is helpful!

this

• allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like to do scrambles, throw in some veggies and garlic, whatever else you like. Also: HOT SAUCE :heart_eyes:

When you buy the cartons of egg whites, they're pasteurized, so you can just add them straight (uncooked) to your protein shake or a smoothie - which might make it easier to stomach that many egg whites every day, rather than having to actually taste and chew all of it.
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I usually throw in potatoes. If I want veggies, I'll have them on the side: spinach, tomatoes....
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love eggs. I love all the egg. That said I have egg whites with cheese in the morning because of macros the rest of the day. Pepper. Salsa. Also good on those.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why would you just eat the egg whites.....

Eggs contain many vitamins and minerals that are essential parts of a healthy and balanced diet. Below is a list of nutrients that can be found in eggs, along with a brief summary of what they are useful for:

Vitamin A: maintains the skin, immune system and normal vision.
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin): aids energy metabolism, red blood cells, vision and the nervous system.
    Vitamin B12: aids energy metabolism, red blood cells, the immune system and the nervous system.
    Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): aids energy metabolism and mental functioning.
    Vitamin D: keeps bones and teeth healthy and aids absorption of calcium.
    Vitamin E: keeps the reproductive system, nervous system and muscles healthy.
    Biotin: aids energy metabolism, maintains skin, hair and the immune system.
    Choline: aids fat metabolism and liver function.
    Folic Acid: aids blood formation and tissue growth during pregnancy.
    Iodine: aids thyroid gland function, maintains the skin and nervous system.
    Iron: assists red blood production and the transportation of oxygen throughout the body.
    Lutein and zeaxanthin: maintain normal vision and protect from age-related eye disease.
    Phosphorus: maintains bones and teeth and aids energy metabolism.
    Protein: needed for building and maintaining muscle, organs, skin and tissue, and producing antibodies, enzymes and hormones.
    Selenium: protects cells from oxidative damage, maintains the immune system and aids thyroid gland function.

Eggs are considered to be one of the best sources of protein available. One medium-sized egg weighing 44 g typically contains 5.53 g of protein. Nutritionists often use eggs as a point of comparison when assessing whether another food is a good source of protein or not. Around 12.6% of the edible portion of an egg is protein.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are a source of protein with very low calories, if you hate egg whites then you can probably substitute them with other sources of low calorie to protein ratio foods like a protein powder, canned tuna in water, etc.

I prefer the taste of egg whites to protein powder and I actually like that I get to eat a big volume for so little calories so I eat egg whites on a daily basis. I usually just microwave half a carton of egg whites (which according to the label is about 8 egg whites) with whatever I have that day that I would usually put in an omelet (spinach, pico de gallo, turkey sausage etc). If I have nothing to fancy it up, I just eat my microwaved egg whites with something salty like soy sauce or a salted whole duck egg (yum). I eat the egg whites though because I enjoy it more than other sources of almost pure protein. If i liked protein power more, I would just do that as the egg whites are comparatively pricey.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I add spinach or mushrooms or broccoli.

I also eat them with apple chicken sausage! Yum
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I third the suggestion to mix the eggs up with veggies in an omelet.

But yuck for me.

There are equivalents for sure, like whey protein powder.