Egg whites

Options
124»

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I wonder why people can't just answer a question without trying to psychoanalyze the OP or provide their useless observations for what works for them, as you know, the OP is not them.

Egg whites are an excellent way to add more protein without adding fat. Simple.

I'm not following any one particular plan but I do use the liquid egg whites from a carton to add more protein to my diet, without adding more fat, and its in a way where I can easily add it to a smoothie.

Yes fat is something I'm watching. I'd rather get my fat from nuts or coconut oil, thanks for asking.

I don't like to eat a lot of meat, I don't like to eat cooked eggs most of the time. It can be difficult for me to get enough protein, and I'm trying to limit saturated fats to a certain amount. Egg yolks would destroy that goal. I don't separate yolks from full eggs so I'm not wasting a darn thing. I have done that in the past, and my dogs enjoyed the yolk very much. Egg whites are an easy to obtain protein with very little of anything else in them. I'd hide the protein in my mid-morning pumpkin oatmeal smoothie.

If thats all you need to get more of, protein, in your diet with all other macros but protein being met from other sources, and you enjoy all those other sources and could give a crap about a yolk, then there is no reason to not simply have egg whites.
    Then goes on to tell everyone that animal sources of fat are bad and only good enough for their dog when the question was about protein. I'm sure that is exactly what the OP wanted to hear. Lol, I love this place, it's fun.

Where, exactly, did I say animal sources are bad? I said I don't LIKE them, not that they are bad.
    Yes fat is something I'm watching. I'd rather get my fat from nuts or coconut oil, thanks for asking.
    Of course you love animal fat aka saturated fat and the dreaded cholesterol, but you rather have nuts and coconuts, well you convince me, my mistake.

I said nothing about cholesterol. My doctor wants me to stay low on saturated fats, and for TASTE I prefer nuts or coconut oil over egg yolks and meat. This is the personal preference of my palate, and you are living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise.

You said nothing about anything.

Your post had a general whining about being off topic (which was off topic), then some irrelevant content about nothing in particular that made any sense.

Actually I've been speaking in defense of the op, and gave some instances of how and why I use egg whites. Your post is on topic and is relevant how, exactly?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I wonder why people can't just answer a question without trying to psychoanalyze the OP or provide their useless observations for what works for them, as you know, the OP is not them.

Egg whites are an excellent way to add more protein without adding fat. Simple.

I'm not following any one particular plan but I do use the liquid egg whites from a carton to add more protein to my diet, without adding more fat, and its in a way where I can easily add it to a smoothie.

I don't like to eat a lot of meat, I don't like to eat cooked eggs most of the time. It can be difficult for me to get enough protein, and I'm trying to limit saturated fats to a certain amount. Egg yolks would destroy that goal. I don't separate yolks from full eggs so I'm not wasting a darn thing. I have done that in the past, and my dogs enjoyed the yolk very much. Egg whites are an easy to obtain protein with very little of anything else in them. I'd hide the protein in my mid-morning pumpkin oatmeal smoothie.

If thats all you need to get more of, protein, in your diet with all other macros but protein being met from other sources, and you enjoy all those other sources and could give a crap about a yolk, then there is no reason to not simply have egg whites.
    Then goes on to tell everyone that animal sources of fat are bad and only good enough for their dog when the question was about protein. I'm sure that is exactly what the OP wanted to hear. Lol, I love this place, it's fun.

Where, exactly, did I say animal sources are bad? I said I don't LIKE them, not that they are bad.
    Of course you love animal fat aka saturated fat and the dreaded cholesterol, but you rather have nuts and coconuts, well you convince me, my mistake.

I said nothing about cholesterol. My doctor wants me to stay low on saturated fats, and for TASTE I prefer nuts or coconut oil over egg yolks and meat. This is the personal preference of my palate, and you are living in a fantasy world if you think otherwise.

You said nothing about anything.

Your post had a general whining about being off topic (which was off topic), then some irrelevant content about nothing in particular that made any sense.

Actually I've been speaking in defense of the op, and gave some instances of how and why I use egg whites. Your post is on topic and is relevant how, exactly?

You still said nothing. My post corrects your recalcitrant actions. I'm doing the community a service in correcting you. :)
  • Bobbykins1
    Bobbykins1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, so I've been trying to follow Jamie Easons live fit trainer program and the diet calls for 5 egg white in morning and at night, I usually eat 2 egg white omlette and tat itself I gulp. I'm not sure how to manage 5 egg whites twice a day. How do you all eat your egg whites. Any ideas?

http://blog.muscleegg.com/recipes/ Check out this website. It has a lot of tasty sounding recipes for many meals using egg whites.
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the inputs!! I totally understand that egg yolks are good as well but this particular program (Jamie Eason Livefit) suggests eating 5 egg whites in the morning and at night. I buy just the egg whites, it hurts to waste the yummy yolks. I am just thinking and rethinking if I can get through with the diet. I appreciate all your inputs and this is totally not worth arguing about :smile:
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My favorite (eating it right now actually) is frozen stir-fry veggies with egg whites. It's cheap, easy, fast, and filling. Tonight I added shrimp, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes.
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure about all the tangent replies but if you just want more Ways to eat eggwhites I can help maybe :)
    So I make in a separate pan tomatoes in some olive oil until they are really mushed up (excuse my lack of terminology) once the tomatoes are pretty mashed I add 2 cloves choped garlic, 1 jalapeño pepper (or half) and sauté a bit more. In a bowl mix 4-5 whites add a tbs of milk and the tomatoe mixture. Put this all In a pan and make an omelette :)
    Also in a good processor make a pico de gallo salsa, add it to whites
    Not into spicy? Sauté some mushrooms and bell peppers mix with whites.
    Scramble your whites with some low fat cheese or add Avocodo on top
    So many methods, whites are the easiest most filling breakfast for me personally
  • nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh and I don't like the bottled egg whites that are pre made, I just separate mine myself I'm lucky in that the yolks aren't wasted since my mom uses them for her own cooking and baking.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    kmblank wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    What's wrong with the yolk?
    This. Yolks > whites.

Also eating 10 egg whites a day is stupid. Sorry, but the plan you are considering, just based on this info alone, is super stupid.

Telling her that the plan she is considering is " super stupid' is not constructive feedback! I eat about 8-10 egg white a day and choose to get my fat sources not only from the yolks at times but also from other means - avocado, olive oil, nuts, ect. If she is on a particular plan that limits her fats, then 5 grams of fat per egg yolk is probably not the best way to get it everyday. Instead of just tearing down her plan, give her some feedback that is helpful!

It is super stupid if it's not something that she is even able to accomplish with joy and is something she must struggle to accomplish. It's also unnecessary. It's clear that OP has no intrinsic desire to eat 10 egg whites a day.

So my feedback: don't follow such a pointless plan and eat a plan that you actually like and desire.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 egg white and 1 whole egg scrambled with 1 piece of wholemeal toast for breakfast.

I feel waste full but egg whites are 17cal where a whole is 70cals alone

my 3 egg whites are 51cals and 10.8g protein
    whole egg 70cal for 6g protein
  • minniemickey
    minniemickey Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Those are some yum recipes! Thank you.