Singles: Does Valentine's Day depress you?

Options
I'm single and I hate Valentine's Day. Well I think the idea of it is really cute and all, but I just don't have anyone to share it with sadly. :( I've always been alone on V-day. Does anyone else feel this way too?

Replies

• _JustDG_
    _JustDG_ Posts: 1,584
    Options
    I think it's more depressing for the married's. :p
  • mrsmartinez99
    mrsmartinez99 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    _JustDG_ wrote: »

This is true. My husband never remembers and if he does, it's when we are grocery shopping and he passes a display. Yes, I end up paying for my own teddy bear that I could do without. The year before he bought himself a new wedding band. He said it was his gift to me, that he wears a wedding ring (oh yeah it was all black, more of a man's ring than wedding band, and it didn't fit him; yes he threw the receipt away).

Consider yourself lucky.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much the most stupid holiday ever...I'm glad my wife agrees. It's a bunch of marketing bull *kitten*.

I pamper my wife often...I get her flowers on a regular basis...I prepare nice meals and we go out on occasion. I don't need some random day in February that Hallmark decided on to do these things.

You're not missing anything...don't be sad. It's *kitten* lame.
  • sw0312
    sw0312 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's pretty much the most stupid holiday ever...I'm glad my wife agrees. It's a bunch of marketing bull *kitten*.

I pamper my wife often...I get her flowers on a regular basis...I prepare nice meals and we go out on occasion. I don't need some random day in February that Hallmark decided on to do these things.

Agreed - we only get the kids a little something. I used to get mad that he wasted time and money on Valentines. I rather have him do something when he feels like he wants too not because it is an obligation.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Never had a problem with it when I was single.

Thankfully my wife is not swayed by contrived narratives and forced "tokens" (i.e. spend money on ME!!! on this EXACT DAY!!!) of affection.

Many people have loving relationships (single and the "marrieds") without pretend days to satiate some small self loathing persons feelings of inadequacy.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I proposed on Valentines Day (to consolidate anniversaries).
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    _JustDG_ wrote: »

Depends on the relationship *shrug*
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree that it's more depressing when you're married. Just another day with the addition of a card.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am with you OP. I hate hate hate Valentine's Day.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When I was single and the archetypical "Forever Alone" guy, it made me more angry than anything -- all those lucky people got to celebrate how lucky they were and rub it in my face how unlucky I was.

Now I'm one of those lucky people, with a happy marriage and a family, I do feel grateful for what I have. But I'm really sympathetic for those who don't have what we do.

That said, I hate what Valentine's Day is - a chance to make money and an excuse for cheap sentimentality. Personally I revere St. Valentine as the patron of engaged couples and happy marriages.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

^^^^ I have never purchased one card or ever received one, I have never received flowers or some such fluff and during my lifetime I have met some wonderful, witty, charming, sexy men. It's not about 1 day, but lots of wild, wonderful, gentle, caring days throughout your life that count.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Some of my best Valentine's Days were spent single hanging out with my girlfriends. Now that I'm married, my husband and I almost never do anything on the actual day. Usually, we go out to eat the day before or after. As far as sex or gifts go though, no it's not a special day. Those are things we do regularly.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I hate all of the "Hallmark Holidays". And my GF would say that everyday with me is Valentine's Day anyway. I do, however, think that the new-ish holiday on March 14th is a keeper!
  • Peanut_321
    Peanut_321 Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is it bad that I think Valentines is great because of the sale on chocolate?

(Where I live we get these great sales on chocolate during Valentines day and it's pretty awesome.)
  • northlandmum
    northlandmum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    _Tink_ wrote: »
    I'd have to agree that it's more depressing when you're married. Just another day with the addition of a card.

you're lucky you even get a card! Haven't received anything since I got married...we have other days to celebrate I guess. Have always felt it's more for dating couples or those trying to woo someone.

• BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nope doesn't bother me at all.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend dropped me like a hot potato only a few days ago, so this V-day will suck in particular.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hate all of the "Hallmark Holidays". And my GF would say that everyday with me is Valentine's Day anyway. I do, however, think that the new-ish holiday on March 14th is a keeper!

??? what am I missing?
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    111YoYo111 wrote: »

??? what am I missing?

Pi Day!