Singles: Does Valentine's Day depress you?

Options

Replies

• RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes. *please don't take notice of me sobbing into my pillow. :p
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's pretty much the most stupid holiday ever...I'm glad my wife agrees. It's a bunch of marketing bull *kitten*.

You're not missing anything...don't be sad. It's *kitten* lame.

Agreed. And everything is cost inflated.

• LadyArchangel
    LadyArchangel Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Valentine's Day is a nice day to do something with someone that you care for - doesn't have to be a significant other. My daughter and I have had Valentine's Dates in the past - she'll be three this year for Valentine's Day. I have never received flowers on Valentine's Day. Wait, I lied. When I was in 5th Grade I did. My motto for Valentine's Day??...

"Screw Valentine's Day. I'm just waiting for the discounted chocolate on the 15th"

This year I will most likely do my typical Saturday night activity. Line dancing :)

Pretty sure this is the reason my boyfriend asked me out on the 15th... so he can spend less on chocolates for our anni! Really though, that's pretty much why I like V Day. Discounted chocolate!
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm in a relationship, and I still hate it. I had a crazy (now ex-) boyfriend a few years ago who set my apartment on fire on the night of Valentine's. With my then-three-month-old and me in it.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    losethe23 wrote: »
    Nope, and it annoys me when single people complain about it all time time. People don't have moms on mother's day and fathers on father's day. So boo hoo is you're single on valentines day. Sorry lol just gets on my nerve. :P

Some people just want to watch the world burn ;) This made me smile
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Romance is dumb. Valentines Day is dumb. Love should be something that's expressed on a daily basis. And fifty bucks for roses that'll last a week is stupid, and not an expression of love, except that it's what society says it is. It's just dead plants.

If $50 worth of roses is "romance" to you then you're doing it wrong.

I don't think romance is dumb at all. I think taking cues from retailers and the media about what is romantic is dumb.

You sound super bitter.
  • dizzzigrl
    dizzzigrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    tapirfrog wrote: »
    Since I'm probably getting divorced, yes, right now I do not like Valentine's Day one bit.
    HA - I am getting divorced, and I am looking forward to it! It will be the first time in years I haven't had to hear, "well, I would have got you something but I didn't know what you would want" or had to deal with some short obligatory dinner. I will be spending it with my favorite person, ME!
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    _JustDG_ wrote: »
    I think it's more depressing for the married's. :p

@_JustDG_ - funny you should say that...... well funny to keep from crying. lol

• smantha32
    Options
    God no. Not only does it mean that I can't possibly screw it up, or not live up to someone's expectations, but if you really are interested in getting a date, asking a girl out this time of year is an almost guaranteed yes.

And you can plan to spend 150$ taking her out to dinner instead of 40$ on a normal night. Total BS.
  • wilkimania
    wilkimania Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depressing not really. What I do find interesting though is the number of couples that suddenly seem to come together just before valentines day.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    _JustDG_ wrote: »
    I think it's more depressing for the married's. :p

That made me sad. This might be true for those who aren't married to the right person, but trust me, when you find your soul mate, nothing about life or V-day is depressing. My husband and I always find ways to be romantic, holidays or not, and we've been together a long time now. We always see couples, mostly married, sitting in restaurants staring at their phones or looking off blankly into the distance, never saying a word to each other. And yes, for them, I'm sure more than just the holiday is depressing. That's why it's so important to make the right choices before getting married, and if it's not right - move on. It's all about the relationship and being married to the right person can be the best thing in the world.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    dizzzigrl wrote: »
    I will be spending it with my favorite person, ME!

Awesome.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I referred to V-Day as Singles Awareness Day. lol Yeah kinda depressing but my daughter and I decided to make it fun and have a girl's day out with shopping and lunch and a movie.
    Now that I'm with my bf, we use it as a time to splurge on a gift for each other that compares to birthdays or Christmas. Not that we don't do other little splurges throughout the year. We tend to do bigger things and they aren't necessarily romantic, but are generally just what the other has been wanting and wouldn't spend the money on themselves to get. Last year, I bought my guy a bicycle because he loves to ride but his was in disrepair. This year he's getting tools (that he has been eyeballing for quite sometime).
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    @northlandmum‌ tell me about it.... it's a reverse for me..... I'm the one that give cards and does things.... We just had our anniversary I got her two cards.... she was looking at her cards one night before bed.... she asked me, "did I get you a card?" I said no...... story of my life.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've never celebrated valentines day while single, in a relationship, or married. Last year my husband got me a bunch of candy and I was just like wtf??? Why? We never exchange gifts for v-day, why this year? WHy candy? I was already having a hard time mentally with counting macros and with my body image but he was trying to make me feel better. It did not make me feel better and I ended up giving most of it away, unopened. So, yeah. I just ignore valentines day. In other countries they have a day similar to valentines, but its for people you love, friends, family, pets, not just for a SO. I think that would be a better holiday to celebrate.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    It's just another day always has been. I am like others do something special on other days of the year. It is just away for businesses to make money. I feel that in a relationship people show each other constantly how they care for each other we don't need 1 day a year for that.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    :D Nope, because I would rather be single than with some loser jerk.

^^This... while the holiday can serve as a reminder that I'm alone, I'm old enough to have been in some fairly miserable relationships... given *that* choice, I'm actually happier being alone.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
  • smantha32
    Options
    4homer wrote: »
    mnl9zs6ioggx.jpg

I wish there was a "like" button.
  • EmGee922
    EmGee922 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think I've been single on Valentine's 10 of the last 11 years...and I'm pretty okay with that! :)