Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So you're not Paleo, but say you're Paleo...I get it. Everyone needs a label.

Sorry, I don't get it. Could you explain? I don't need a label, just something I believe in and that suits me and makes sense to me.

Because you said you eat like the above 80% of the time. So 80% of the time you eat Paleo, but even with that 80% of time you say you eat Paleo, you still eat dairy, and some grains. So really, you eat Paleo what 75% of time? The other 25% are what?

Seriously, the diet you are describing is basically a healthy, balanced diet. The same type that 95% of this board eats.

Exactly Paleo is just a healthy, balanced diet. Just call yourselves Paleo and everyone"s happy. :D It is just healthy eating and is nothing to worry about.

As for the maths above, eek does my head in. :p The 80/20 principle is an acknowledgment that I am an adult who takes full responsibility for every choice I make but occasionally find myself in circumstances that don’t allow 100% and I have to make compromises. Example - dinner with friends.

Right, which is why I said you obviously need a label to make your diet sound better. Otherwise, what is the reasoning for calling it something that it isn't?
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Sorry, I don't get it. Could you explain? I don't need a label, just something I believe in and that suits me and makes sense to me.

Between your personal variations from the guidelines and the 80/20 exemptions, what you're eating is really a pretty standard diet.

Which is totally cool, of course.

Exactly, I think we all have our little variations. Don't forget these rules are man made and as such are not set in concrete. I just eat food that gives me energy and makes me feel good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Because you said you eat like the above 80% of the time. So 80% of the time you eat Paleo, but even with that 80% of time you say you eat Paleo, you still eat dairy, and some grains. So really, you eat Paleo what 75% of time? The other 25% are what?

Seriously, the diet you are describing is basically a healthy, balanced diet. The same type that 95% of this board eats.

Exactly Paleo is just a healthy, balanced diet. Just call yourselves Paleo and everyone"s happy. :D It is just healthy eating and is nothing to worry about.

As for the maths above, eek does my head in. :p The 80/20 principle is an acknowledgment that I am an adult who takes full responsibility for every choice I make but occasionally find myself in circumstances that don’t allow 100% and I have to make compromises. Example - dinner with friends.

Right, which is why I said you obviously need a label to make your diet sound better. Otherwise, what is the reasoning for calling it something that it isn't?

and this is the part where paleo gets fun, because people use verbal gymnastics to try and say they are doing something that they really are not...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Paleo is not just a healthy balanced diet. It's very restrictive. Suggesting you avoid a fairly long list of foods may still allow for balance, but it's not "just" a balanced diet.

And the term 'Paleo Diet' may have lost single meaning I suppose, since things I have read (here and elsewhere on the internet) about Paleo say it's a LCHF diet, but others here say no.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Basically, I agree that we do seem to be eating similar diets so that is one of the reasons I never understand it when everyone gets upset as soon as the word Paleo is mentioned. I just feel better staying away from grains, especially wheat and I eat minimal dairy.

And legumes?
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's late, I'm tired and this verbal gymnastics is exhausting and pointless. My aim one day is to be 100% Paleo and I am not doing it for the "label" (whatever that means) I am doing it because I like the way it makes me feel. The recipes books are awesome.

Over and out, I'm off to bed. :)

Legumes - I don't really like them so I don't miss them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My aim one day is to be 100% Paleo and I am not doing it for the "label" (whatever that means) I am doing it because I like the way it makes me feel. The recipes books are awesome.

I agree that lots of paleo recipes are awesome. You don't have to be paleo to use them, so I do from time to time, or just get ideas from them.

However, this is what I don't understand. Assuming you eat a perfectly healthy diet now, why aspire to be 100% paleo and drop foods like dairy and legumes that are healthy for most people or which make you feel good? What's the point? Just to fit a label or theory that doesn't seem to be well-grounded?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    [quote="Hornsby;31230788"
    So you're not Paleo, but say you're Paleo...I get it. Everyone needs a label. [/quote]

I hate to continue reading this thread but Hornsby's comment is spot-on. Why does everybody need a label for diet? How about just being "healthy"? Why does it have to be a buzzword like "Paleo", or "Atkins", or "Mediterranean"; how about "healthy"? Everything doesn't need to be a buzzword or prefaced with a lowercase "e" or "i" to be good.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Basically, I agree that we do seem to be eating similar diets so that is one of the reasons I never understand it when everyone gets upset as soon as the word Paleo is mentioned. I just feel better staying away from grains, especially wheat and I eat minimal dairy.

I don't get you saying you stay away from grains when you eat corn and rice.

Is it that you just like saying it?

I generally only eat gluten-free oats, and hence would never dream of saying that I stay away from grains. I don't get the need to have some sort of restrictive label on your eating.

You're really not eating Paleo. It sounds like a lovely way to eat, what you are doing, but it's not Paleo. It's just nice, basic food.

• ndj1979
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My aim one day is to be 100% Paleo and I am not doing it for the "label" (whatever that means) I am doing it because I like the way it makes me feel. The recipes books are awesome.

I agree that lots of paleo recipes are awesome. You don't have to be paleo to use them, so I do from time to time, or just get ideas from them.

However, this is what I don't understand. Assuming you eat a perfectly healthy diet now, why aspire to be 100% paleo and drop foods like dairy and legumes that are healthy for most people or which make you feel good? What's the point? Just to fit a label or theory that doesn't seem to be well-grounded?

because paleo cult is where the cool kids are....
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This...
    Not to be pessimistic but I don't think this will end well... :huh:

• willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    later
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    1217ckCOMIC-charley---plio-diet.png?1418183173
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Why does everybody need a label for diet? How about just being "healthy"?

The jackals will jump all over that one, too.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I am a vegetarian about 51% of the time...hmmm, I think I will refer to myself as a vegetarian from now on. Then when people see me eating meat, and they say..."Aren't you a vegetarian?"...I will be like...

y23Q27K.gif

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Where can you buy cricket flour?? I'd probably give it a try. My only aversion to eating bugs would be the nasty texture.
    This cricket flour discussion has reminded me of a rather unpleasant scene from the movie Snowpiercer. Has anyone seen that? It's a good movie, but the protein source the underclass is given turns out to have a rather unpalatable origin
    cockroaches

• Kriq8
    Kriq8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    New to the forums and seeing a lot of hateful people all here for the same thing, to lose weight and get healthier. Didn't know this was so full of licensed dieticians. What does it matter to you personally if someone wants to diet a different way than you? I think I'll stay out of these forums.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    3shirts wrote: »
    dgbg.gif

I LOLed.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    kimhere wrote: »
    The way I eat is similar to paleo and I didn't start eating that way to lose weight. I changed for my general health and lost weight as a bonus. My body does not agree with grains or dairy at all! So I use a lot of paleo cookbooks. I think you find what works for your health and go with it :) people on here judge others way too much! If they are not taking your food away from you then let people eat what they want.
    Exactly what I wanted to say to the OP.

Agreed 100%. Can't go wrong with more natural nutritious foods. Whatever works for you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Kriq8 wrote: »
    New to the forums and seeing a lot of hateful people all here for the same thing, to lose weight and get healthier. Didn't know this was so full of licensed dieticians. What does it matter to you personally if someone wants to diet a different way than you? I think I'll stay out of these forums.

thanks for stopping by ...

what does being a licensed dietician have to do with debating the merits of paleo????