If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    G35GT wrote: »
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

I know what you are trying to infer but bacon/eggs for breakfast + 2 hours in a gym would be a fantastic plan 90% of people here. Especially considering the protein : calorie ratio and if you meant doing a mix of heavy lifting and reasonable cardio. I mean seriously, that's a pretty sound starting plan for success. As long as the rest of the macros are good to go.

Not to mention bacon and eggs are super delicious and keep me full for much longer than fruits.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok people this is my opinion do whatever you wish.But if you haven't pay at least 5 min to research for this don't say that it is "nonsence". B

How about "absolute twaddle" then?
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

Well how could I possibly argue with logic like that?

At least she has brought us something new. You don't get a lot of Pro-Carb/Anti-eggers around here.
    Katerina, how do you feel about sugar?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    NHS gives the 2000 calories average (TDEE) for a woman and 2500 for a man but there's going to be huge variations due to size, activity and exercise.

nhs.uk/chq/pages/1126.aspx?categoryid=51

Age as well. And illness as a sidetrack.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ok people this is my opinion do whatever you wish.But if you haven't pay at least 5 min to research for this don't say that it is "nonsence". B

Is it your opinion? Or is it research?

If you could post this research for us ill-informed that'd be great :wink:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

what's wrong with bacon and eggs? i eat an egg fried in bacon grease with bacon almost every day on the weekends or days off from work and i'm thin.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

giphy.gif

what's wrong with bacon and eggs? i eat an egg fried in bacon grease with bacon almost every day on the weekends or days off from work and i'm thin.

The poster who gave the advice (?) is vegan so I'm betting she's going for the "animal products kill" angle.
  • Berna
    Berna Posts: 23
    Options
    nreuter1 wrote: »
    Although I'm currently losing weight, I will be in the same situation as you when I want to maintain. I find it a low number too, I thought it would be more like 1800. Perhaps play around with amount a bit - if you find you are still losing weight at 1650, up it by 100 and so on. Of course eating to maintain is still watching what you eat, but I don't want it to feel like a chore.

Start eating more raw fruit and veggies. I am doing something new and I found that cutting sugar (table sugar) from my diet, juicing and eating fruit and veggies gives me my 1200 a day and I feel absolutely full after every meal. My proteins including meat have been reduced to 1/4 of what I used to eat. I don't miss the meat or the sugar..but I do love the new energy and the new me. If you want to maintain, start moving more, drinking more water and stay far away from sugar and it's evil cousins, sucralose, maltodextrin, etc. Your body and mind will thank you for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

giphy.gif

2 eggs: 140ish calories
    2 slices thick center cut bacon: 100 calories

That's like a 240 calorie breakfast...that hardly necessitates 2 hours in the gym. Also, the macros are pretty decent too...though I would throw in a slice of toast for some carbs.

also, legumes and lentils and what not have decent protein numbers for being plant based...but they are a much better source of carbohydrates...if your macros matter.
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

giphy.gif

2 eggs: 140ish calories
    2 slices thick center cut bacon: 100 calories

That's like a 240 calorie breakfast...that hardly necessitates 2 hours in the gym. Also, the macros are pretty decent too...though I would throw in a slice of toast for some carbs.

I have one egg. i fry it with onions and spinach and mushrooms to get some vegetables and 2 slices of regular center cut bacon which is only 60 calories and top it with some cheese for calcium and toast to make a sandwich. perfect meal!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Bacon and eggs are so tasty. What a great idea.

Good luck with your Vegan life.

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/04/01/study-vegetarians-less-healthy-lower-quality-of-life-than-meat-eaters/
  • Berna
    Berna Posts: 23
    Options

I don't think that 2000 is for the average person. I think it's just a nice round number they picked to measure calorie percentages by that is sort of reasonable.

I don't know about the U.S. of A. but here in Canada, 2000, calories a day is the recommended daily caloric intake for the average person (women only, there is a scale for men as well). Average being, 5' 5"to 5' 10". The dietician I went to last year insisted I eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight. I gained 30 pounds before I finally said screw this. I started my own thing in December and have lost 22 pounds and an inch everywhere. So, I guess what you will have to do is gradually increase your exercise and maybe re-think your food intake.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Berna wrote: »

I don't think that 2000 is for the average person. I think it's just a nice round number they picked to measure calorie percentages by that is sort of reasonable.

I don't know about the U.S. of A. but here in Canada, 2000, calories a day is the recommended daily caloric intake for the average person (women only, there is a scale for men as well). Average being, 5' 5"to 5' 10". The dietician I went to last year insisted I eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight. I gained 30 pounds before I finally said screw this. I started my own thing in December and have lost 22 pounds and an inch everywhere. So, I guess what you will have to do is gradually increase your exercise and maybe re-think your food intake.

huh? the same for everyone at every age and weight? that makes no sense! Are you sure this is a canadian thing and not just that you had a bad dietician?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    As people are pointing out, bacon and eggs is a fairly low calorie breakfast. Keeps me full and happy until lunch.

It's a lower calorie breakfast than the monster bowl of oatmeal I need to stay full until lunch. (I do eat it, however, on mornings I do a really long swim)

• Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    this explains the history behind 2000 on labels. it doesn't seem like it's really an exact recommendation for anyone, but more like a round number based on self-reported data.

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2011/08/where-did-the-2000-calorie-diet-idea-come-from/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6

Dear jof:

You are doing good job.

Love,
    Jof
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think calorie needs can be thought of like a percentile chart. The 2000 recommendation may be the 50th percentile, but there will be outliers who fall well above or below. I know for me, I'm eating over 300 calories more than what some calculators say I should need, but yet I'm still only maintaining my weight. There are several factors that go into calorie needs, especially muscle to body fat ratio.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Dear jof:

You are doing good job.

Love,
    Jof

LOL, I think I'm doing a better job. Mmmmmmm, pepperoni.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Queenbishotuniverse
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think calorie needs can be thought of like a percentile chart. The 2000 recommendation may be the 50th percentile, but there will be outliers who fall well above or below. I know for me, I'm eating over 300 calories more than what some calculators say I should need, but yet I'm still only maintaining my weight. There are several factors that go into calorie needs, especially muscle to body fat ratio.

My calculated TDEE with minimal exercise is ~3500. Some calculators would suggest I should be gaining 3-4 pounds/week even though that's my maintenance. I feel bad for my counterparts on the opposite end of the spectrum.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

giphy.gif

Dear jof:

You are doing good job.

Love,
    Jof

LOL, I think I'm doing a better job. Mmmmmmm, pepperoni.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Queenbishotuniverse

Your macro targets make me cringe a little.

Also, I was talking to pre-cut jof...say, late 2014.