If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think calorie needs can be thought of like a percentile chart. The 2000 recommendation may be the 50th percentile, but there will be outliers who fall well above or below. I know for me, I'm eating over 300 calories more than what some calculators say I should need, but yet I'm still only maintaining my weight. There are several factors that go into calorie needs, especially muscle to body fat ratio.

More like an x y graph thingy with lots of dots all over the place and a single neat line drawn through it all. Good luck finding yourself nicely sitting on the line...
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    they key is 2000 a day AVERAGE. Everyone is different. Obviously a 5'1 female isn't going to eat as much as a 6'5 male. You need to set your diet based on your activity level, age, height, etc. Everyone is different.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

Sounds good to me. Actually kind of sounds like what I eat MOST mornings...and I'm down almost 50 pounds. Weird...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »
    they key is 2000 a day AVERAGE. Everyone is different. Obviously a 5'1 female isn't going to eat as much as a 6'5 male. You need to set your diet based on your activity level, age, height, etc. Everyone is different.

but it's not average. it's a round number they came up with based on self-reported numbers which are completely biased and it's for people to tweek for themselves.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jofjltncb6

Dear jof:

You are doing good job.

Love,
    Jof

LOL, I think I'm doing a better job. Mmmmmmm, pepperoni.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Queenbishotuniverse

Your macro targets make me cringe a little.

Also, I was talking to pre-cut jof...say, late 2014.

Protein goal was higher (around 123g) for almost a year, trying something different for a little while. Today was obviously a f-it day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Dear jof:

You are doing good job.

Love,
    Jof

Protein goal was higher (around 123g) for almost a year, trying something different for a little while. Today was obviously a f-it day.

Perhaps today was the result of the decreased protein.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

OP, back to your question and lets address the issues.

You want to increase your cals?
    From your profile you've yoy-yo dieted - which means that you've lost LBM along the way.
    It seems from this post that your focus is running?

Do you do any significant resistance training?

If you want to increase your TDEE (or make those jeans look great, like you state in your profile) progressive resistance training should also be part of your exercise routine. Why?

For every pound of muscle that you add - you'll have 7-21 cals of increase in base BMR (multiply that by your activity level and it can add up a little - a year of training may give to a maintenance TDEE of 2000+).

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Dear jof:

You are doing good job.

Love,
    Jof

Perhaps today was the result of the decreased protein.

Maybe. But honestly, I'm probably closer to 123 on protein more often then not. Most of my recipes and meals are designed with that goal in mind.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ok people this is my opinion do whatever you wish.But if you haven't pay at least 5 min to research for this don't say that it is "nonsence". B

How about "absolute twaddle" then?

I like "utter buffoonery"
  • forcheese
    forcheese Posts: 24
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a question which may or may not open up a can of worms.

I was always told by both medical practitioners and the lay man that 2000 kcals are the average for a woman and 2500 for a man.

So to lose weight hover around 1500 kcals as a woman, but if 2000 is in actuality a number they just picked out of thin air and the "real" number for a lot of women are a lot less than that why is it so unreasonable to have a 1200 kcal diet?

Many medical practitioners I know frown upon eating that little and even though I don't believe everything a doctor tells me surely there must be a basis for that number other than doctors just sat around and picked it out of a hat.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    In everything that can be quantified, there is an average, a median, a mean, and a mode. Somewhere right around less than half of people fall below the average, and somewhere right around less than half of people are above the average. Then there's the median, which would be a little more close to a true center, but that would probably be something like 2,065 k/cal, and rounding down from that is more data/user-friendly.

If there was such a thing as a quantifiable nerd scale, I am probably not setting the median.

As far as what you are allowed to eat to maintain, you can always up your exercise intensity and duration to eat more. If I know I'm going to be eating a special meal with dessert, I get in a 40-70 minute bike ride with interval sprints and maybe lift a few weights.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »

giphy.gif

Well how could I possibly argue with logic like that?

At least she has brought us something new. You don't get a lot of Pro-Carb/Anti-eggers around here.
    Katerina, how do you feel about sugar?
    Yeah! In for anti-eggers! (Only because I don't like eggs. If they're baked in a cake...that's a different story)

OP, when I first started to learn about calories and maintenance I was having similar thoughts to yours. It seems like everyone generally answered your questions. Size definitely makes a difference.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If I ate bacon and eggs and was able to hit the gym for 2 hours each day..I would not be here that's for sure!! I'd be on a beach in a small bikini! I know this bc before my back injury that is very close to what I ate and how I worked out. Oh to have that body again! Can I go back to 27 years old?? lol!
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    sorry..got caught up in that convo! You can search the web for tools that plug in your age, weight and height and it will tell you exactly how many calories you need to maintain..and what is "normal" for your body.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans

I must ask are you a troll or do you believe this?

Could you please quote correctly. Now it seems like you posted the nonsense.

It is not nonsence research for yourself :*

Actually, it is nonsense. It makes absolutely no sense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ok people this is my opinion do whatever you wish.But if you haven't pay at least 5 min to research for this don't say that it is "nonsence". B

How about "absolute twaddle" then?

Absolute twaddle - one of my favorite phrases...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Big assumption - that people have not. Can you point us to your 'research'. Did it take you 5 minutes?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    OP the average person needs more calories to maintain weight than I do because the average person is taller, heavier, younger and more active than I am.
    Half of them are also the gender that required more calories than my gender.

My individual net maitenance calories are 1710 ( borne out by real life results > 1 year)

If yours are about the same you probably have similar stats to me. If they are very different you probably have different stats. ;)
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    The 2000 calorie bit is somewhat of an urban legend. There was an article about it not too long ago on how it came to be. It was a rather long & complicated calculation of a accumulation of stats & #s based on the average person.

SO if one does not conform to that 'average' person's height, weight, & build then the 2000 logically would not work.

Go by your TDEE is the more reliable route from my own personal experience.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The conclusion I have come up with: the average person is not intended to live a sedentary/desk job life. We're meant to be active, to be doers moreso than watchers.

I mean no offense - I have a desk job and including intentional exercise & activity I burn 1800-1900 most days and occasionally 2000-2300 on very active days. If I did not make the effort I'd come in around 1500-1600 probably 5-6 days every week.

This was a big eye opener for me, and what actually allowed me to lose my extra baggage once and for all. Counting calories was only part of it - understanding how much I burn in a day was necessary for real change. With that information, I made the choice to no longer be sedentary, desk job or not. This was why I gained weight in the first place - I was eating the typical 2k per day (or more) but moving very little...