If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Options

Replies

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    This thread just made me want bacon, but I'm at work, dang it.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat like the average person (whoever that is) you will look like the average person. Look around you- are most people around you fat? Most people around me are. I don't want to look like the average person and there is no way that I could eat 2,000 calories without putting on weight.
  • Indigoblu1
    Indigoblu1 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Damn it, you guys. Stop talking about bacon and eggs! I was fine with my peach until I started reading these posts! Now the ONLY thing I want is bacon and eggs and toast.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Ok people this is my opinion do whatever you wish.But if you haven't pay at least 5 min to research for this don't say that it is "nonsence". B

Isn't there a minimum age limit on this site?
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm just sad that I didn't have bacon and eggs for breakfast.

But then, there's always dinner - I know what I'll be eating tonight now! And if I add some spinach to my eggs, grill a tomato and add some mushrooms I'll be getting some of my 5 a day in too!

Yay Me!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Isn't that just based off the average sedentary male?

I think the value for men is 2500. But again, that's the "average" man so anyone smaller, larger, more active, or less active will have a different number.
  • SallieKGibbs
    SallieKGibbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

Bacon and eggs for breakfast is not a bad thing in and of itself! Now a whole slab of bacon and 3 or 4 eggs, then you have a problem. And I don't spend a lot of time in the gym either! I do run, hike, go on walks with my husband, etc. (in other words I am active without being a gym rat)
  • SallieKGibbs
    SallieKGibbs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans

I must ask are you a troll or do you believe this?

Could you please quote correctly. Now it seems like you posted the nonsense.

It is not nonsence research for yourself :*

You have obviously researched this, can you give us a link to the scientific studies you have read about this so we can read them too? Eating fat does NOT make you fat! You need fat for brain function. You also need protien as well as carbs! There must be a balance. And this is coming from my NUTRITIONIST!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Please elucidate. What point are you trying to make?
  • mll58
    mll58 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1650 calories to maintain your weight? You lucky duck!

There are a whole bunch of factors involved, including height, build, and level of activity, but no one has mentioned genetics. Keep in mind that each person has a unique metabolism. You just have to deal with the hand you're dealt.

While 2000 calories is a nice round number that someone picked out of a hat, for an awful lot of Americans (and others) it's a pretty good goal given what they actually DO eat.

(says the person who maintains at about 1100, gains at 1200, and has to stay under 1000 to even think about losing weight).

Miriam in MA
  • BeccaBell77
    BeccaBell77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That everyone has a way, that you can be vegan, eat lots of fruit, veg, beans for protein, and for fat, and no meat or animal fat and higher carb and lose weight. You all are being too critical on Katerina9408 about her food choices as if they are not logical, when they are very doable and healthy. Don't knock someone else's food choices until you have actually tried them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    That everyone has a way, that you can be vegan, eat lots of fruit, veg, beans for protein, and for fat, and no meat or animal fat and higher carb and lose weight. You all are being too critical on Katerina9408 about her food choices as if they are not logical, when they are very doable and healthy. Don't knock someone else's food choices until you have actually tried them.

I don't think anyone was really commenting on her food choices, but on her comment that carbs are a better source of energy than fat and her implication that a person who eats bacon and eggs is doing something wrong.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

wasn't she putting down bacon and eggs as a food choice? seemed like she was the only one putting down food choices.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Because Gaussian Distribution, that's why.

Are there really adults out there who do not know what "average" means?

normal.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Did you even read the thread?

• 1890dawn
    Options
    what no one will say is that the reason the numbers don't make sense is that the science is obviously flawed. I have to stay under 1,600 to maintain, under 1,400 to lose, and it has been that way since I was a young active teen. We all accept that there are skinny people that eat as much as they want and never gain (one is my mother-in-law, I've seen her do it), so it is intellectually dishonest to say that the same cannot be true in reverse for heavy people. The BMI charts are also very flawed. At the weight at which I look amazing in a bathing suit, I am still considered "obese" on the charts.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Berna wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!

I don't think that 2000 is for the average person. I think it's just a nice round number they picked to measure calorie percentages by that is sort of reasonable.

I don't know about the U.S. of A. but here in Canada, 2000, calories a day is the recommended daily caloric intake for the average person (women only, there is a scale for men as well). Average being, 5' 5"to 5' 10". The dietician I went to last year insisted I eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight. I gained 30 pounds before I finally said screw this. I started my own thing in December and have lost 22 pounds and an inch everywhere. So, I guess what you will have to do is gradually increase your exercise and maybe re-think your food intake.

Berna, honestly, either you are very short, or you are probably eating more than you think. I would recommend reading the sticky posts at the top of the various forums, starting with

Logging accuracy, consistency, and you're probably eating more than you think.

To the OP, maintenance really comes down to your height and what weight you are trying to maintain. For me, at 43, 5'7, 136 lbs, my maintenance would be around 1650 calories per day. But that would need to be an accurate number, weighing and logging. However, since I am planning on a bulk and cut, hopefully some extra muscle mass and a lifting program will up that a bit so I can eat more.