If the av person should eat 2000, then why can I only eat 1650 to maintain? Bummer!!

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    1890dawn wrote: »
    what no one will say is that the reason the numbers don't make sense is that the science is obviously flawed. I have to stay under 1,600 to maintain, under 1,400 to lose, and it has been that way since I was a young active teen. We all accept that there are skinny people that eat as much as they want and never gain (one is my mother-in-law, I've seen her do it), so it is intellectually dishonest to say that the same cannot be true in reverse for heavy people. The BMI charts are also very flawed. At the weight at which I look amazing in a bathing suit, I am still considered "obese" on the charts.

Most people here don't really accept that. Or rather, they would argue that a person who appears to do this is still eating around their maintenance and is either very active (thus having a higher TDEE) or isn't eating as much as it seems they are. Some may eat one huge meal and then not have an appetite for a next couple of days, or similar. There is a range of metabolism, of course, but I don't think it's as large as people think it is. Most differences in TDEE can be explained by differences in size and activity level.
    I would consider myself to be one of those people that 1890dawn is talking about. Based on my activity level and what my TDEE should be based off that, I have reason to believe my BMR is at least 50 calories over what most calculators would suggest for my stats. I think over time the implications of this can become significant. In theory, an extra 50 calories a day for a couple years would translate to a 10 pound weight gain. I realize that I am simply eating at maintenance, but my overall TDEE is high enough (without a very active lifestyle) that I simply can eat whatever I want (in accordance with my appetite) and not gain weight.

That just means that your hunger signals are in line with your caloric needs. This is also greatly helped by the fact that you focus on nutrient dense foods. If you ate more calorie dense foods (many of which would not be as satiating) until you were full, chances are you would exceed your calorie goal.
    True, but then others were just telling me a couple days ago in another thread that they piled on weight from eating a lot of the same foods I eat (lots of home cooked meals).
    Do not derail this thread into another thread about you and why you don't gain weight. You already know why you dont, because you don't eat enough. And you don't exercise properly. Please dont turn this thread into another debate about Jason.
    No I'm not, just giving my experience from the other end of the spectrum on why the OP doesn't understand how she needs less than the average person to maintain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    A lot of people here are maintaining with less calories than they should because they increase their calories, gain normal water weight, and freak out because of it... so they eat less than they potentially could.

I'm 36, 5'5", 133 pounds, and from the math of the last 6 months, I maintain at 2200, exercising in average 30 minutes a day. So you're a bit older than me but can probably maintain at 2000 easily.

^^ hear hear! And totally agree ☺ I'm 45, active and maintaining on 2200 as well.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    what no one will say is that the reason the numbers don't make sense is that the science is obviously flawed. I have to stay under 1,600 to maintain, under 1,400 to lose, and it has been that way since I was a young active teen. We all accept that there are skinny people that eat as much as they want and never gain (one is my mother-in-law, I've seen her do it), so it is intellectually dishonest to say that the same cannot be true in reverse for heavy people. The BMI charts are also very flawed. At the weight at which I look amazing in a bathing suit, I am still considered "obese" on the charts.

Most people here don't really accept that. Or rather, they would argue that a person who appears to do this is still eating around their maintenance and is either very active (thus having a higher TDEE) or isn't eating as much as it seems they are. Some may eat one huge meal and then not have an appetite for a next couple of days, or similar. There is a range of metabolism, of course, but I don't think it's as large as people think it is. Most differences in TDEE can be explained by differences in size and activity level.
    I would consider myself to be one of those people that 1890dawn is talking about. Based on my activity level and what my TDEE should be based off that, I have reason to believe my BMR is at least 50 calories over what most calculators would suggest for my stats. I think over time the implications of this can become significant. In theory, an extra 50 calories a day for a couple years would translate to a 10 pound weight gain. I realize that I am simply eating at maintenance, but my overall TDEE is high enough (without a very active lifestyle) that I simply can eat whatever I want (in accordance with my appetite) and not gain weight.

That just means that your hunger signals are in line with your caloric needs. This is also greatly helped by the fact that you focus on nutrient dense foods. If you ate more calorie dense foods (many of which would not be as satiating) until you were full, chances are you would exceed your calorie goal.
    True, but then others were just telling me a couple days ago in another thread that they piled on weight from eating a lot of the same foods I eat (lots of home cooked meals).
    Do not derail this thread into another thread about you and why you don't gain weight. You already know why you dont, because you don't eat enough. And you don't exercise properly. Please dont turn this thread into another debate about Jason.
    No I'm not, just giving my experience from the other end of the spectrum on why the OP doesn't understand how she needs less than the average person to maintain.

Yes you do, and yes you are.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Yes you do, and yes you are.
    I'm quoting this because I agree with you, but also to ask this question: is your username a reference to a radio station, by any chance?

• cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You guys are fantastic, I posted this late last night and thought tonight I would just have a look to see if I had any responses and OMG!!!

There is no way I can reply to everyone. But here is a couple.

1) I want eggs and bacon now too!
    2) I am 5ft 9 and weight 131 lbs, and a uk size 8. So I am smaller than the average person and therefore of course = less then the average person's calories to maintain. And yes I have seen a bell curve before :0)
    3) yes I eat back exercise on top of this.
    4) yes this is researched as I have been more or less the same weight for 2.5 years now.
    5) I do a mixture a bodypump, circuits, and running 3 times per week and despite having a desk job i make sure that I park my car away from my kids school so we have at least a moderate walk back to the car to get our steps up for the day.

My only intention was to moan about my own current desire to eat more as I LOVE food, but I love being slim even more.

Keep up being so entertaining everyone :0)
  • cyberblonde
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do they not have a like flag on here so I can like so of your posts?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You guys are fantastic, I posted this late last night and thought tonight I would just have a look to see if I had any responses and OMG!!!

2) I am 5ft 9 and weight 131 lbs, and a uk size 8. So I am smaller than the average person and therefore of course = less then the average person's calories to maintain. And yes I have seen a bell curve before :0)
    4) yes this is researched as I have been more or less the same weight for 2.5 years now.
    5) I do a mixture a bodypump, circuits, and running 3 times per week and despite having a desk job i make sure that I park my car away from my kids school so we have at least a moderate walk back to the car to get our steps up for the day.

My only intention was to moan about my own current desire to eat more as I LOVE food, but I love being slim even more.

How much do you eat gross out of interest? i.e. adding your exercise calories
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!
    It depends what you eat. Carbs burn faster then fat so try to concentrate on simple carbs like fruits and veggies for protein : you can make chickpease, lentils,beans.
    giphy.gif
    Mmm OK :D Continue to eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, spend 2 h in the gym and tell yourself that you are doing good job (y)

i like you
  • cyberblonde
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

I probably add around 2000 cals from exercise per week and I eat most of that on a Friday and sat night!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

I probably add around 2000 cals from exercise per week and I eat most of that on a Friday and sat night!

So you are eating 2,000 calories to maintain.

Sounds pretty 'reasonable' - you are lighter than 'average' but more active - kind of balances out from the sounds of it.

• cyberblonde
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guessed you would say that! :)

It could be a bit high what I quoted in terms of exercise calories.

I always think that the average person these days does zero exercise (for example not many mums park away from the school to walk, there is always a mad dash to be the closest, we would not want to walk more that 2 meters would we!) but maybe I am being unfair.

But like you say they are bigger too. :o
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    A lot of people here are maintaining with less calories than they should because they increase their calories, gain normal water weight, and freak out because of it... so they eat less than they potentially could.

I'm 36, 5'5", 133 pounds, and from the math of the last 6 months, I maintain at 2200, exercising in average 30 minutes a day. So you're a bit older than me but can probably maintain at 2000 easily.

<sigh>

How does anyone get anywhere here without understanding fundamentals?

Would someone care to explain the discovery of Infinite Energy inherent in "maintaining with less calories" because in the Real World we call that: "losing weight". You can not maintain on less than maintenance, right? "Less than maintenance" means what? Oh yeah - that's right - we all learned in the beginning that was called "caloric deficit", right?

Right?

This is madness!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

OP, back to your question and lets address the issues.

You want to increase your cals?
    From your profile you've yoy-yo dieted - which means that you've lost LBM along the way.
    It seems from this post that your focus is running?

Do you do any significant resistance training?

If you want to increase your TDEE (or make those jeans look great, like you state in your profile) progressive resistance training should also be part of your exercise routine. Why?

For every pound of muscle that you add - you'll have 7-21 cals of increase in base BMR (multiply that by your activity level and it can add up a little - a year of training may give to a maintenance TDEE of 2000+).

I like this direct answer!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I know I am most of the day inactive as I have a desk job, but i exercise 3 to 4 times a week which I will be adding to the 1650 cals I have been given.

Just seems cray to me that we are alway told that 2000 cals a day are the amount an average person should eat per day. I would put on weight at that level.

Maybe the average person runs 5km per day too?!

actually, why do you consider 1650 low as a baseline? If you're adding back exercise calories, you could easily get to over 2,000 a day. That's a lot imo. My baseline is lower at 1,440.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had bacon today. But I only worked out for an hour so I didn't have the eggs...
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is also 1650 when I put in sedentary but wearing a fitbit has actually made me realize I'm lightly active and usually get 300-400 extra calories a day. I don't have an active job and the only steps I normally do are just my day to day activities (housework, cooking, getting from place to place, shopping) so I doubt many people are truly sedentary. But as others have said you need to play around with your calories and see what happens. If you eat 1650 and still losing then increase
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had to read this thread tonight. I gave my husband a hard time this morning for eating bacon smeared with peanut butter, and now I really want bacon and eggs. But it's 9pm, and I'm way too lazy to cook more bacon now.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    for dinner I had bacon and eggs fried in bacon grease with spinach, mushrooms, onions and cheese because of this thread.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1750 for maintenance when I was 115 lbs. When I ate that regularly, I went back to a 118-120 range, so my maintenance cals are low too. You aren't alone
  • bunnypy
    bunnypy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Ya, u are not alone OP, I maintain at 1400 a day (5'1 at 108-112 range) and its not satisfying, I do jumping jacks and some running for an hour just so I can at least have an extra 400 calories per day :(, meaning if/when I don't feel like doing any exercise I have no choice but to consume my only 1400 calories :(