My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It also made me super sad to see all the people who were taking Picts of her at the store. I would be pissed if I ever caught someone taking a pict of me without my permission.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Omg yea like she was a side side attraction. Some ppl are so ignorant. I could see a very obese person or someone with some kid of deformity and my reaction would not be to take pictures. I'm thinking maybe the people taking pictures were just curious and it was more about seeing her and all the camera crew? Because people cannot be that cruel...or can they?
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was watching the show My Little Family and they are all little people the parents and 3 kids and they had a trip I think to Washington(?) and people were taking pictures of them and the mom kept saying to the strangers, no no pictures, dont take our picture. Its just so cruel how people disregard that no matter how different someone looks they still should be respected.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I watched one where the lady had gained her weight after she was gang raped when she was 12, her weight was her safety net. that story really opened my eyes and I cried for her. She had no support since her family didn't believe her and just pretty much disowned her. at 12 years old, she had no other place to turn. and she chose food, I know she started at over 700lbs and when she finally started losing, she didn't whine or complain, or anything, she truly inspired me.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    It also made me super sad to see all the people who were taking Picts of her at the store. I would be pissed if I ever caught someone taking a pict of me without my permission.

Totally agree!
  • xxSiexx
    xxSiexx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    that show scares me and motivates me i don't wanna be 600 lbs
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    This is just an observation, but has anyone else noticed that a lot of these patients have really terrible teeth?
    Yes, I think this is more to do with socio-economic factors than mobility issues. They often live in pretty bad housing too, and seem to be not very well educated.

Wow, that comes across as really judgemental, but statistics show that if you're poor and have low standards of education, you're more likely to be very obese than a richer, more educated person.

This latest series of stories is making me more uncomfortable than previous ones. It's like the director says "OK, we have to make you look as gigantic and pathetic as we can. Can you take all your clothes off and try to wash yourself? Excellent. Now try to get out of the chair. Eat this. Now this. Let's take some footage of your terrible shoes..."

Also, Joe annoyed me with his whining. Usually I feel desperately sorry for the patients, but this time I was irritated by him and more concerned about his mother who could barely move.

I have also noticed that the latest stories seem a bit more salacious than previous stories. I am hoping this is just a coincidence and not a new trend.

I also could not get engaged with Joey's story. I was rooting for him in the beginning, but he was too full of excuses and whining for most of the episode. I was glad to see the meeting with the nutritionist. Really, do people not know to read labels? I can understand someone not understanding the significance of all the information, but it seemed like Joey and his mother had never even attempted to read and understand labels on packaged food.

I did think it was interesting that Joey was the first person on this show who lived independently. His mother and sister brought him food, but he lived alone and could drive himself places. He could also walk reasonably well. He had difficulty walking and needed a cane, but he could do it by himself which is more than most of the previous people could do.

I hope that they show a part two of Joey's story, more than just an update, since this episode just barely got him started on his weight loss journey.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet. Hopefully it is better than the last few have been.
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

Exactly!! And I love the show Hoarders BTW. I always find motivation to clean my house when I see that show!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    amber7088 wrote: »
    It motivates me. Just like Hoarders makes me clean my house, 600 lb life makes me want to work out

Exactly!! And I love the show Hoarders BTW. I always find motivation to clean my house when I see that show!

I wish I could watch Hoarders. I saw part of one episode featuring some old-ish man's house (I think he lived a trailer home by himself) and all they did was shift a box and it disturbed some huge nest of cockroaches. *shudder* Couldn't finish the episode, and I'm afraid to watch any other episodes.

I can handle watching bypass surgeries and 600 lb people getting bathed and ointment applied on mystery sores on their body...but I can't handle homes that are so filthy and neglected that merely moving a box disturbs nests of cockroaches. Blech!
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    What are we gaining by being obese? are we sitting on a pity potty?
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    On my BFFL, I do think she takes "Body Positive" image a bit too far. She was teaching a dance class in her bra top. Everyone else in the room had a t shirt or tank top on. She was the only one showing belly. It just was not appropriate. At least she is working out.

She gets tons of literal "hate" mail. I feel bad for the gal, but I agree, there is more going on than PCOS. However, it is good to provide education that obesity is linked to other health problems.

I haven't seen any of these shows but as long as none of the private bits are hanging out then I don't care what people work out in. Sometimes I still have flashbacks to the 60-something guy who wore short-shorts in yoga class and in some positions would dangle out of them. Ugh.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    Omg yea like she was a side side attraction. Some ppl are so ignorant. I could see a very obese person or someone with some kid of deformity and my reaction would not be to take pictures. I'm thinking maybe the people taking pictures were just curious and it was more about seeing her and all the camera crew? Because people cannot be that cruel...or can they?

Well, I think they were possibly "plants" told to take pictures, gawk, etc. in order to increase drama value. Not very rare with reality shows. They need to amp the drama.

• tat2cookie
    Options
    I doubt it. I've seen a butt load of fat people Picts like that on different websites. It happens. It's the main reason I quit looking at peopleofwalmart.com. Unless you are actually part of a side show then you shouldn't be treated like you are a part of one.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I doubt it. I've seen a butt load of fat people Picts like that on different websites. It happens. It's the main reason I quit looking at peopleofwalmart.com. Unless you are actually part of a side show then you shouldn't be treated like you are a part of one.

Ok but it could fairly legitimately be argued that Walmart is a side show...

I'm behind on my DVR...still thinking about Joe's story and a comment above that struck a chord. I felt like Joe was probably his mom's proxy...in abuse, in life...she was needy, he was needy. She was sad, he was sad. She was obese, he was obese. It occurred to me because in the midst of all of his bellyaching, what he was actually doing when he wasn't stuck in his head was totally soldiering through and getting the job done. So it made me think that all of that other stuff was learned behavior, and likely learned so that his mom would feel less alone.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I hope there's a follow-up on Joe. I'm not too sanguine about his odds of success.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    At first I thought at the end Laura looked very similar to how she started, then they did the side by side frames.....(!!!). I also liked the detail they showed in her getting comfort in her religion etc. Not to mention by the end of the story she was driving that cool Charger around... Damnit I want a Charger. I even thought that conversation with her Mom went fairly well. In all, just someone very receptive to help and with a very full life and family. Simply beautiful!
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think I watch it because I see myself in the people. They have developed an unhealthy relationship with food and its caused them to lose control. I have too, although to a much lesser degree. Ive binged on junk and eaten fast food as my primary meals. I want to change my habits and goals. Be healthy and fit. My family has enabled and insulted. And all of those people were my weight at one point in their lives. Also it helps me gain perspective. When I think im in a terrible state... im really not. I can put on jeans and take my dog for a walk.
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    TLC has kind of turned into a freak show over the past decade. It used to be The Learning Channel and showed documentry type things similar to Discovery Channel. Now it's all reality shows and things like "My Strange Addiction"

That's what I call it too. It's sure changed. Same with A & E doesn't really seem to be about Arts and Entertainment anymore.

I'm watching it right now and it makes me kinda sad and also motivates me to stay on the right path.

• tat2cookie
    Options
    Who's watching Charity's story?
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the new episode right now. Oh my goodness! I hope she is able to stick with Dr. Now's advice. She really needs help!