Options

Replies

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    wamydia wrote: »
    slovie64 wrote: »
    Did anyone see Joe's story last night (3.11.15)? I was so moved by the fact that he was able to lose 150 POUNDS pre-surgery! I wish the show didn't end before he had lost more of the weight. I need an update on him!

I know someone already asked this upstream, but I have to ask it again -- if someone like Joe is capable of losing 150lbs on his own pre surgery, why do they do the gastric bypass at all instead of just carrying on with diet and exercise? He's doing so well on his own and has already improved his health so much, why cut into him and mess around with his insides when you could just let him carry on?

My husband and I were asking each other the same question last night. The only thing I could come up with was that they were motivated by the thought of the surgery, so they were hanging in with the pre-surgery diet, but with that taken away (the possibility of surgery) they might just give up because they felt it would feel as difficult (as the diet) for the rest of their lives without the surgery.

I mean I don't actually know - only they know.

The great news is that he is able to lose weight but is he willing to change his way of eating for the rest of his life to keep losing the weight without the surgery? Which the surgery is just a tool and he would have to keep up the healthier lifestyle after the initial honeymoon period of the surgery anyway. Did he get the surgery??? I havent watched this episode its still in my DVR.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »

The data is old as you can see from the years the data was observed but the article states:

According to one recent nationally representative sample, obesity prevalence was higher in lower income and education groups, but the rate of increase in obesity over two decades was faster for higher income and education groups (Singh et al., 2011). For instance, between 1992 and 2008, obesity prevalence increased by 42.3 percent for the lower income group compared to 88.5 percent for the higher income group.
    NHANES data from 1971 to 2002 indicate that rates of obesity increased among both the poor and non-poor over a 30 year period, and those rates of obesity were 5.1 to 6.5 percentage points higher among the poor compared to the non-poor (Jollife, 2011). However, this relationship between obesity and poverty “appears to no longer exist” as more recent NHANES data (2003 to 2006) suggest no difference in obesity rates between the two groups. In addition, rates of obesity increased by 62 percent among the poor and by 155 percent among the non-poor from 1971 to 2006.

National data from over 3 decades (1971 to 2002) suggests a weakening association between SES (based on the poverty income ratio) and child obesity over time, especially among adolescents (Wang & Zhang, 2006).
    If that is the case then I was misinformed and I apologize to anyone I offended.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    Its sad. I cant say it motivates me, but definitely scares me. I am pushing 300 lbs and I just keep getting heavier and heavier. But I am hopelessly addicted to sugar, pop, and fast food, and even though my weight depresses me enough to give me suicidal thoughts ever now and again, I still find it incredibly hard to give up what is making me fat and unhappy, because on some level, those things make me happy.Its a struggle, and I
    can strongly relate to some of those people.

Those things relieve anxiety, which can be mistaken for feeling happy but isn't really the same thing. Have you thought about therapy?

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see Joe's story last night (3.11.15)? I was so moved by the fact that he was able to lose 150 POUNDS pre-surgery! I wish the show didn't end before he had lost more of the weight. I need an update on him!

I know someone already asked this upstream, but I have to ask it again -- if someone like Joe is capable of losing 150lbs on his own pre surgery, why do they do the gastric bypass at all instead of just carrying on with diet and exercise? He's doing so well on his own and has already improved his health so much, why cut into him and mess around with his insides when you could just let him carry on?

Surgeons don't get paid unless they do surgeries..
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

True. . . I guess I'm still holding out hope for doctors making decisions based on ethics instead of dollars. I still wonder about Joe himself though -- is it a self esteem issue and he has himself convinced that he has to have the surgery or he will ultimately fail? I'm viewing it through the lens of my own experience, I know, but if it were me I would jump for joy at having proved to myself that I don't really need to go under the knife to lose weight.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Because it's freaking hard to eat that little all the time when you are that size and have life long food issues. I had wls at the first of the year. I lost 15lbs during me pre op diet, but there was no way I could of kept doing that for much longer. I have PCOS and tried dieting and exercising for years. I was super athletic growing up. But man the weight just kept piling on no matter how hard I tried. I'd have *kitten* it moments and just eat what I wanted cause I was sick of trying so hard and getting no where, which didn't help things. My health went down hill fast. Wls was the best thing that I could have done. I'm down 50lbs, I'm running and lifting weights everyday. I love the show cause I know and get the struggle.

Ps.... The egg comment made me roll my eyes too. Lol
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Wow, that comes across as really judgemental, but statistics show that if you're poor and have low standards of education, you're more likely to be very obese than a richer, more educated person.

My grandparents had only grammar school education maybe went until 5th-6th grade and were poor but they were not obese, not even remotely. So I totally disagree with this. My parents didnt go to high school and were poor. By the time I was in grammar school we poor enough to qualify for food stamps, the free block of cheese, free xmas dinners at the YMCA with a gift and public housing. Neither of my parents or my siblings were obese. So I strongly disagree with this once more. Just saying.

The fact that some children are born without arms doesn't change the fact that, generally speaking, humans come equipped with two of them. Statistics do not have to apply to you personally or every (or any) member of your family to be valid indicators of the general trend in a population.

Statistics are what they are. Gravity will continue to be gravity whether you agree that things fall when they're dropped or not. If you have contradictory statistics to cite, sure, trot them out and let's have a discussion, but "I don't agree because me" doesn't invalidate someone else's empirical results.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Joe kept saying if I don't get the WLS it would have all been a waste and my life would just be over - while prancing around with a lot less effort, hopping and jumping into the back of the van rather than taking each step with painstaking anguish and hoping he does not fall down (again). That's when the statement that I sometimes truly hate "it's not all about the scale" (to a person whose goal is weight loss, really? ...but I digress) comes to mind. There were clearly so many benefits he was already getting even though he was not yet at target weight

And yes, shout out to MFP!! Keep up the good work, you're changing the world :)
  • jazzine1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

Wow, that comes across as really judgemental, but statistics show that if you're poor and have low standards of education, you're more likely to be very obese than a richer, more educated person.

My grandparents had only grammar school education maybe went until 5th-6th grade and were poor but they were not obese, not even remotely. So I totally disagree with this. My parents didnt go to high school and were poor. By the time I was in grammar school we poor enough to qualify for food stamps, the free block of cheese, free xmas dinners at the YMCA with a gift and public housing. Neither of my parents or my siblings were obese. So I strongly disagree with this once more. Just saying.

The fact that some children are born without arms doesn't change the fact that, generally speaking, humans come equipped with two of them. Statistics do not have to apply to you personally or every (or any) member of your family to be valid indicators of the general trend in a population.

Statistics are what they are. Gravity will continue to be gravity whether you agree that things fall when they're dropped or not. If you have contradictory statistics to cite, sure, trot them out and let's have a discussion, but "I don't agree because me" doesn't invalidate someone else's empirical results.

Why the tone??? As I stated above with the article the dates are very old. And even with the most recent 2003-2006 they found no real difference between the poverty and richer people in regard to obesity. So there goes those empirical results. I will copy and paste in case you didnt get to read it.

However, this relationship between obesity and poverty “appears to no longer exist” as more recent NHANES data (2003 to 2006) suggest no difference in obesity rates between the two groups. In addition, rates of obesity increased by 62 percent among the poor and by 155 percent among the non-poor from 1971 to 2006.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    it's definitely motivating.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options

That's what I thought about, too. My friend had WLS and she said it was better than losing on her own because she was able to immediately get off the blood pressure and diabetes medications she was taking. Also, for her it took away all of her cravings. She believes the WLS does more than just make your stomach smaller; it helps in other ways, too.

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

Why the tone??? As I stated above with the article the dates are very old. And even with the most recent 2003-2006 they found no real difference between the poverty and richer people in regard to obesity. So there goes those empirical results. I will copy and paste in case you didnt get to read it.

However, this relationship between obesity and poverty “appears to no longer exist” as more recent NHANES data (2003 to 2006) suggest no difference in obesity rates between the two groups. In addition, rates of obesity increased by 62 percent among the poor and by 155 percent among the non-poor from 1971 to 2006.

Okay, that's fine. As I said, if you have other stats, by all means bring them out. If the data are no longer current, that's a valid criticism. My point wasn't that those results will never change ever, my point was that "This doesn't apply to me" is not a valid criticism of empirical results, and not everything is a matter of opinion - data don't care what you think of them.

• 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    I watched a few last night. I can sit and watch all that stuff and it inspires and motivates me. Then they showed one girl who's calves enveloped her feet as she walked. I was speechless and saddened.

Here is a pic, I did not want to embed the pic so you can choose to see it or not.
    Not for the faint of heart. :'(Amber
    Kinda OT but I didn't know where else to post this...

Have any of you seen this show on TLC? I'm just curious of your thoughts...knowing what we've all learned here about eating at a deficit to lose weight and watching these people struggle and have such a hard time giving up fast food, etc. even when it's threatening their lives and costing them their families.

He used MFP app in his phone. I thought it was cool. I shouted out...heyyyyy that's mfp!!! Yes, I love the show
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    It's such a sad state to be in. The only true joy they find in life is the act of eating. I don't judge them anymore than I would someone suffering from Anorexia. A life-threatening eating disorder. I often find myself most angry at the enablers in their lives.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Just finished Joe's story. Couple things about his story annoyed me, and a couple things I thought were really good about his episode.

First, his "trauma" or issue or whatever that drove him to overeat was that his dad didn't pay much attention to him. Gave him lots of games and movies instead of, I dunno, hugging him all day long or tossing a ball with him like a hallmark card commercial come to life. Good grief. Guy must have had a pretty great life if that was the best excuse for his overeating habit that he could craft.

And, unless I missed it, no one seemed to notice or comment on the fact that his mother must have been 500+ lbs herself. What drove her to over eat to where she's almost the size of her 700 lb son? It's almost like there may have been some bad habits that went on in the same household or something.
    She should have her own episode.

What I liked was that they didn't do the surgery until the end, and that Joe had to learn about diet, nutrition labels, and eating right from a nutritionist and put what he learned into practice to lose weight himself in a sensible way prior to surgery. It also looked like they showed him tracking his diet on the MFP app, but that camera shot of his logging was too quick for me to be certain.

This episode was much more sensible in that Joe appeared to get some actual direction on what to do, rather than that starvation jello diet that Angel apparently concocted herself to lose an obscene amount of weight in a few months.

+ 1

Although, I cringed when I heard the "nutritionist" say that he shouldn't eat the egg yolks because they contain cholesterol. Arg! Dietary cholesterol does NOT increase serum cholesterol. Eat the damn yolks!
    There was a meta-analysis that suggested this, but the data analysis may have merely obscured the facts. I don't know anything about this doctor's blog, but he says dietary cholesterol is indeed as bad as ever:

http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/page/2/http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/page/2/
  • jazzine1
    Options
    Did anybody see last nights episode with Laura? I was happy to see her family were all for her success and didn't enable her after she got the surgery. She did great on losing weight. Her husband does seem to love her and supports her.
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I can't watch that show or any show about morbidly obese people. I've seen a couple of episodes. I can't relate and it makes me shake my head in disgust. just being honest.

I feel the same way...exactly... Again, everyone looks at these shows differently, and may not agree but that's the best way to put it...It makes me shake my head...
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I was super impressed with the husband. The mom irritated me a little when she was trying to talk to her in the restaurant about her feelings. It was amazing to see her change in attitude after she got sick.
  • jazzine1
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I was super impressed with the husband. The mom irritated me a little when she was trying to talk to her in the restaurant about her feelings. It was amazing to see her change in attitude after she got sick.

Yes it seemed like her mother didnt want to hear what she was saying she kept talking over her and didnt let Laura express her self and say all she had to say.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

We're talking about statistics, though, so individual cases don't really mean anything one way or the other.

The facts of the matter are more complicated, as usual, but it's not inaccurate to say that a poor person is more likely to be obese, generally speaking:

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/are-low-income-people-at-greater-risk-for-overweight-or-obesity/

I don't see that comment being unreasonable. I'm from Mississippi where obesity is high and incomes are very low. Alot (not all) families eat fried foods, mostly carbs and more inexpensive processed foods with fewer fresh fruits and vegetables due to cost. Although I don't eat that way, I know alot of families that does. Plus, alot of "southern" cooks including myself feed out of what we think is love. My love of cooking just helped because I cook healthier for my family.