Starvation mode. Myth or Fact?

Replies

• aziapatrick
    aziapatrick Posts: 33 Member
    Is your cheat meal a "go to TGI Fridays and get appetizers, dinner, and drinks?" because that could be A LOT of calories. 3500 cals = 1 lb.

It's a going to the mexican restaurant and eating chips and cheese and fried things, this last time it was also 2 drinks.

Looks like it's time to cut out the cheat meal.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Food scale OP?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I started my diet on 1/5/15 (exercising 3 days per week) and have lost 20 lbs since then, all of that was lost in the first 2.5 weeks. Now it's just at a stand still. I guess I just got used to seeing it dramatically drop.

Ah, OK. You didn't lose 20 pounds of fat in two weeks. You lost water weight also and now your body has stopped reacting to the cut in calories and taken some of the water back on. Twenty pounds in four weeks is still a very fast rate of loss. But it will likely slow down from here on out so you should expect that.

• aziapatrick
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Food scale OP?
    No, we've been meaning to get one.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    The "starvation mode" you are talking about is a myth. Firstly, you have to realize that when you dramatically change your habits (i.e., increase activity, reduce consumption) your body needs time to adjust. The reason the "scale hasn't moved" in 2 weeks is most likely due to your body retaining water because of a number of reasons. Also, make sure you REALLY are eating 1250-1400 Calories a day. Do you weigh and properly log everything that goes into your mouth? It is very easy to underestimate the amount of calories you are consuming if you are just "eyeballing it."
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    It's a going to the mexican restaurant and eating chips and cheese and fried things, this last time it was also 2 drinks.

Looks like it's time to cut out the cheat meal.

Yea, Mexican is an easy 1.5-2k calories per meal.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You're consuming more calories than you think and burning less. Log everything, ditch the cheat meal and half the exercise calories you claim.

I don't log exercise because I don't want to be tempted to eat back the calories. I honestly have no idea how many calories I'm burning while exercising.

Ok. Log everything and ditch the cheat meal. See where you are in 3 weeks.

if she logs everything as accurately as possible, why cant she then fit in the treat meal?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    You're consuming more calories than you think and burning less. Log everything, ditch the cheat meal and half the exercise calories you claim.

I don't log exercise because I don't want to be tempted to eat back the calories. I honestly have no idea how many calories I'm burning while exercising.

If you are already eating fewer calories than you should be, not eating back exercise calories just makes the issue worse, Exercise calories are not there as a reward, they are there to make sure you are fueling your body properly.

• joneallen
    if she logs everything as accurately as possible, why cant she then fit in the treat meal?
    Agreed! I log my cheat meals and make them fit it into my daily calories.

• IMO, Your not doing anything wrong, with the exception of eating too few calories. As someone else stated earlier, you should eat closer to your daily goals and log EVERYTHING you put into your mouth.... EVERYTHING. I also agree with the statement that your cheat meal could be a part of your problem too. You'd be surprised how much 1 cheat meal can influence your entire week. Log it honestly and I bet you'll see twice as many calories as you thought. Also, what your eating may be whats holding you back too. I really implore you and everyone else to check out this link, watch the movie. What you think is "healthy" may not be. This movie has really opened my eyes to a problem I have. Food addiction. Please, just watch it and apply it to your diet, see if that helps. http://fedupmovie.com/#/page/home
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

With proper planning, she can.

But proper planning is not currently in effect.
  • joneallen
    Because it's not working. Change the obvious first and worry about the detail later.

The obvious is her not even owning a food scale.

• xmrsdurhamx
    xmrsdurhamx Posts: 8 Member
    I got stuck once after losing continuously. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400-1500 and finally started losing weight again. Try upping your caloric intake and see if that helps. I know quite a few people who were just eating too little and their bodies ended up holding on to their fat (like me). Idk if "starvation mode" exists or not, but if you are eating too little, it's possible that your body thinks you're starving, especially if you're not eating the right foods. Fill your diet with lots of protein, veggies, and healthy sugars/fats like fruit and peanut butter. I know, harder said than done, but trust me it will help. If you get hungry, DON'T not eat. I'm not telling you to indulge, but test yourself... eat an apple. If the apple isn't satisfying, then you're not really hungry. Here's an example of my meals (I'm also pregnant atm so my caloric intake right now is 1800)

Breakfast:

Egg, low-fat cheese, and spinach on an english muffin, a banana, and a cup of coffee

Lunch:

Turkey and low-fat cheese on whole grain bread and a side of stewed green beans & tomatoes

Dinner:

Broiled fish, veggies, a baked potato with 1 tbsp light butter, and a crescent roll

Snacks:

Half a peanut butter sandwich (using low-fat peanut butter and low-cal whole grain bread) and some grapes, yogurt, granola bars, any kind of fruit or veggie, popcorn, sugar-free pudding cups, sugar-free jello, oatmeal, etc....

Also, weigh yourself in the mornings before you eat. That's when your true body weight will show. Throughout the day, you will gain weight here and there. I see a nutritionist every other week and this is the advice she gives me.
  • Therealobi1
    joneallen wrote: »
    Because it's not working. Change the obvious first and worry about the detail later.

This is what i was getting at. i thought we always say here make it fit.
    So if you start logging everything you can see if u can fit the treat meal in or not.
  • Therealobi1
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

and that is why i said if she logs everything as accurately as possible.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Food scale OP?
    No, we've been meaning to get one.

So just so you are aware you do not really know how many calories you are eating without weighing food out and drinks? With the food scale I be so surprise if you eyeball all your servings sizes correct.
  • aziapatrick

I'm sorry I haven't gotten one but there is NO WAY I'm having an error of more than 500 calories. If you want to attack me about a food scale then please go somewhere else.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

I don't think a couple of weeks of minimal change after two weeks of 10 pounds a week can be classified as "not working."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

and that is why i said if she logs everything as accurately as possible.

Accurate logging first.

Cheat meal second, if at all.

• yopeeps025
    Agreed! I log my cheat meals and make them fit it into my daily calories.

So then is it still called a cheat meal if it fits your calories?