Starvation mode. Myth or Fact?

Options

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You're consuming more calories than you think and burning less. Log everything, ditch the cheat meal and half the exercise calories you claim.

I don't log exercise because I don't want to be tempted to eat back the calories. I honestly have no idea how many calories I'm burning while exercising.

Ok. Log everything and ditch the cheat meal. See where you are in 3 weeks.

if she logs everything as accurately as possible, why cant she then fit in the treat meal?

If she can fit it in sure. But it looks like she has to figure out her eating habits before she can do the cheat meal.

It could be messing up her progress and causing her to zero out at the end of a week - why even worry about it then and just whatever whenever?

At the end of 7 days, if you have a 3500 cal deficit, it's 1 lb. At 1800 cals/day she eats - on average - 12600 cals a week. If you have one day where you eat a 2500 cal meal and say another 600 between breakfast and a lunch that's 9500 cals for the other days. I know MFP accounts for a loss in the cals it gives you daily, but if you're going to have a cheat meal, you still have to consider what it is you're cheating with.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    joneallen wrote: »
    if she logs everything as accurately as possible, why cant she then fit in the treat meal?
    Agreed! I log my cheat meals and make them fit it into my daily calories.

So then is it still called a cheat meal if it fits your calories?

What else would it be?
  • TopSy_CurvEE
    Options
    The only thing I don't log is the cheat meal, which is every other Saturday night. I figure I've went over my calories for the day so it doesn't matter. Everything else is on point. I'm also drinking 1-1.5 gallons of water per day. As for not moving, one morning I'll lose a pound the next I'll gain, so overall it is staying the same (I'm OCD and guilty of weighing every day but I know it'll fluctuate daily but the trend should still be downwards). I started my diet on 1/5/15 (exercising 3 days per week) and have lost 20 lbs since then, all of that was lost in the first 2.5 weeks. Now it's just at a stand still. I guess I just got used to seeing it dramatically drop. With my weight being so high I just assumed that being on a 1250-1400 calorie per day diet it would take it a little while to start stalling.

I would caution you against weighing yourself daily. I know it's hard not to, I have that problem too. But the usual fluctuations in weight can be devastating to see if you've been working very hard not to gain, and see you went UP a pound or two when you expected to be down.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Agreed! I log my cheat meals and make them fit it into my daily calories.

So then is it still called a cheat meal if it fits your calories?

What else would it be?

a meal. It's not cheating if you made it fit right?

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I haven't gotten one but there is NO WAY I'm having an error of more than 500 calories. If you want to attack me about a food scale then please go somewhere else.

Who said I was attacking you? Lighten up. You're seeking help, and I gave you my advice a few times.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I would caution you against weighing yourself daily.

This really depends on the person. Many of us do *much* better with daily weighing.

• aziapatrick
    aziapatrick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Food scale OP?
    No, we've been meaning to get one.

So just so you are aware you do not really know how many calories you are eating without weighing food out and drinks? With the food scale I be so surprise if you eyeball all your servings sizes correct.
    The only things I may be off about are the ounces in the chicken (by 1 or 2 oz) and the amount of broccoli I eat (it could be slightly more than a cup). Everything else I use a measuring cup or measuring spoon for.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Because it's not working. Change the obvious first and worry about the detail later.

The obvious is her not even owning a food scale.

I don't own a scale. So far I've lost 15 pounds by logging reasonably accurately, and making minor adjustments as required.

I lost 25 without any food log. Just because we can do these things does not mean others can.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of how starvation mode doesn't exist: Everyone who has ever had weight loss surgery and lost weight. They lose so rapidly because they are so severely restricted to tiny meals. My mother got it and can only eat like a half cup to a cup of food total and then has to wait to digest before she can eat again. She's lost like 60 lbs in 6 months.

All that said:

1) Two weeks it not long enough to throw up your hands and say "this doesn't work." Give it more time. Especially if you were not working out before-- after beginning a work out routine your muscles often retain more water.

2) 1250 calories for a 333 lbs person sounds obscenely low! I peeked at your diary and see your daily goal is 1800. You might find this process much more tolerable, and still lose weight, if you eat closer to your goal.

This right here. Starvation mode is a myth. However, eating more makes you more satisfied and less prone to binging, which will inhibit your weight loss.

Also, have you lost anything? If you have, what you are doing is working. Weight loss isn't a race.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Because it's not working. Change the obvious first and worry about the detail later.

The obvious is her not even owning a food scale.

I don't own a scale. So far I've lost 15 pounds by logging reasonably accurately, and making minor adjustments as required.

I lost 25 without any food log. Just because we can do these things does not mean others can.

if i eye balled everything i would be in trouble.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The only thing I don't log is the cheat meal, which is every other Saturday night. I figure I've went over my calories for the day so it doesn't matter. Everything else is on point. I'm also drinking 1-1.5 gallons of water per day. As for not moving, one morning I'll lose a pound the next I'll gain, so overall it is staying the same (I'm OCD and guilty of weighing every day but I know it'll fluctuate daily but the trend should still be downwards). I started my diet on 1/5/15 (exercising 3 days per week) and have lost 20 lbs since then, all of that was lost in the first 2.5 weeks. Now it's just at a stand still. I guess I just got used to seeing it dramatically drop. With my weight being so high I just assumed that being on a 1250-1400 calorie per day diet it would take it a little while to start stalling.

I feel like this has been overlooked in a lot of the responses you've gotten.

Between 1/5 and 2/5 you've lost 20 lbs. That's great.

I understand that it came off in the first 2.5 weeks and since then you've been stalling, but that's a normal pattern--it's water at first and now you are probably regaining some of the water (especially if a new exercise routine, more sodium in a meal, etc.) and the fat loss is catching up but just being masked. I'd just stick with it.

I also would log the "cheat" meal, as you will want to know your overall weekly intake--it comes in handy to calculate your maintenance and set calorie goals later and also to monitor your losses better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Myth.

If one isn't losing weight there's only a couple of legit reasons.

They are either eating more than they need to to lose weight or there's a hormonal issue interfering with the process.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • McEneny
    McEneny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 lbs is a lot. Going from being inactive to very active will also account for this as well. Focusing on the scale early on is fun and great, but in reality the goal is to make it easier to be healthy.

So the real question is even though you havent lost weight in the last two weeks are the workouts getting easier? Do you have more energy?

If not you may need more calories to get your body to start rebuilding some strength, but if you are feeling good and things are getting easier focus on that.

Watching what you eat when you werent before will make a huge difference regardless of accuracy. Exercising when you werent before will also make a big difference, and start to build strength.

Patience, the better you feel and the easier it is for you to move and work out the better it will go.

You have already kicked some serious butt! Keep your head up and stay focused on what you can control, the exercise, and food that is good for you. The things you cant control will fall into line, sometimes slowly, sometimes fast.
  • aziapatrick
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the advice that has been given, I have lost 20 lbs since 1/5 so obviously I must be doing something right, even without owning a food scale. I completely agree that I haven't given myself enough time before getting concerned and will keep doing what I'm doing, minus a cheat meal (which isn't necessary for me) and review again in a month.
  • johhunt47
    johhunt47 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is your cheat meal a "go to TGI Fridays and get appetizers, dinner, and drinks?" because that could be A LOT of calories. 3500 cals = 1 lb.

It's a going to the mexican restaurant and eating chips and cheese and fried things, this last time it was also 2 drinks.

Looks like it's time to cut out the cheat meal.

Cutting out the cheat meal is a bad idea...breaks up the monotony and allows the body to recalibrate.

What do you do exercise-wise to break up the routine? Remember that the body recognizes muscle memory and the same workouts will not yield the same results if not changed occasionally.

Most important...be patient and give it time...weight loss is a slow and steady process. It can be frustrating when you don't see the scale move, but you have to figure out what works for you.

Best of luck!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It's a going to the mexican restaurant and eating chips and cheese and fried things, this last time it was also 2 drinks.

Looks like it's time to cut out the cheat meal.

Yea, Mexican is an easy 1.5-2k calories per meal.

That plus the sodium in it, you are probably retaining a ton of water from eating it once a week.

Either cut out the cheat meal or at least log it and see what it says and definitely get a food scale and weigh everything .
  • mugglewump701
    mugglewump701 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying that your body is most likely still adjusting to your new routine. Give it some time, but definitely make sure you're logging your food accurately - as stated - sometimes foods have more calories than you think and they can add up.

I would log your workouts as well and get yourself a heart rate monitor so you know exactly what you're burning. I think this is important, because you need to be fueling your body with the right amount of calories and you can't do that if you don't know how much you're burning.

I don't agree with cutting out your cheat meal. If you're only going every other week, I think this is perfectly fine, but I would maybe just do it in moderation - like 1 drink and no appetizers. Honestly, I tend to have a cheat meal once every week and I'm still losing weight, but I try not to get too crazy (I also try to avoid beer even though it makes me sad because I tend to bloat right up afterwards). The reason I say this is because it can be hard eating healthy all the time. You need to allow yourself something you enjoy once in a while, because if you don't, you might just get frustrated (I know I do). You just need to do it in moderation and listen to your body and stop eating when you're not hungry anymore (this took me a while to get control of). I know everyone is different, so give it some time and try some different things to figure out what's right for you.

Feel free to add me if you'd like extra support :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the advice that has been given, I have lost 20 lbs since 1/5 so obviously I must be doing something right, even without owning a food scale. I completely agree that I haven't given myself enough time before getting concerned and will keep doing what I'm doing, minus a cheat meal (which isn't necessary for me) and review again in a month.

You're going to totally rock this. Good luck!

:drinker:
  • aziapatrick
    Options
    McEneny wrote: »
    Losing 20 lbs is a lot. Going from being inactive to very active will also account for this as well. Focusing on the scale early on is fun and great, but in reality the goal is to make it easier to be healthy.

So the real question is even though you havent lost weight in the last two weeks are the workouts getting easier? Do you have more energy?

If not you may need more calories to get your body to start rebuilding some strength, but if you are feeling good and things are getting easier focus on that.

Watching what you eat when you werent before will make a huge difference regardless of accuracy. Exercising when you werent before will also make a big difference, and start to build strength.

Patience, the better you feel and the easier it is for you to move and work out the better it will go.

You have already kicked some serious butt! Keep your head up and stay focused on what you can control, the exercise, and food that is good for you. The things you cant control will fall into line, sometimes slowly, sometimes fast.

Thank you!