• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    @WholeFoodHealthy‌ I agree 100%. Very well written. I also do IF :D

@christinev297
    Woohoo! Glad to "meet" another IFer, and thank you, I discovered it by complete accident. I used to work for Starbucks (best job in the world, at the right location lol) and I'd work long days as I was an hours hog. Some days when we were busy I'd eat basically nothing but drink a LOT of coffee and I had a crapton of energy. Of course I attributed it to the coffee until recently (I no longer work there) when I had a bunch of errands to run and accidentally ended up not eating for ~22 hours. The whole day I was extremely energetic and alert, so I googled something like "No eating energy" and came across IF. I was amazed and read into it a whole lot more and it made perfect sense!

I've tried a lot of "diets, and alternate day fasting is the ONLY thing that has worked to get the weight off, rather quickly and effortlessly.

ETA: it's also the only woe that has saved me money lol I've spent a crap ton of money on supplements and stuff like plexus etc none of which worked

If only more people knew... I mean it seems like almost common sense: Don't eat=Lose weight, but people (myself not excluded) don't think of it because no one talks about it as an option. Makes sense I guess, I mean there would be no $$$ made by supplement manufacturers, diet food companys, diet plan companies, myfitnesspal (haha) hell if every overweight person didn't eat for 2 days a week all major food companies (suppliers, restaurants, EVERYONE) would be losing money. So there's that lol.
    I'm sorry but what makes you think people don't talk about IF? Are you new here? Do you really think many of us haven't practiced IF? Have you bothered to look and see how many IF groups there are?

Don't believe you are paving the way for some miraculous thing. Also, IF is an eating protocol. It's not a magical solution to losing weight.

1: Yes, I'm new here (I bet my "3 posts" counter gave it away didn't it. Aw, man)
    2: Yes I have checked the IF groups. Do you have a point?
    3: I'm speaking of people in GENERAL. Not specifically MFP users.
    4: I don't know what version of IF you used, but the 24 hour "Eat Stop Eat" version is both a way of eating and you WILL lose weight. (I don't remember ever mentioning anything about magic or sorcery?...)

Anything else?

The point that you are not getting is that even with IF in your feeding window you can eat at a surplus in one sitting. I know I can easily eat my entire day in one meal and so can a lot of people. So that you WILL lose weight is wrong.

The IF I'm talking about is the one where your "eating window" is every day besides ~2 24 hour periods per week of no eating whatsoever. If you can go 24 hours straight with no eating then you have enough willpower to NOT eat so much in 5 days that you earn back TWO WHOLE DAYS of calories...

Not to mention that if you're doing 2 24 hour fasts your appetite will be lowered enough to where you won't even want to consume +(~400) a day.

I've done my research. From a whole lot more than a forum. Or just one source.

I'm not sorry to say that YOU are the one who isn't getting "the point"

Don't knock something just because you don't want to agree with it. After all, I said in my first point that it's by no means for everyone. (though you probably didn't even read the 1st long post did you?)

I'm not here to prove science to you. I was simply offering OP advice and an alternative. Maybe focus all the energy you put into your uninformed criticism on losing weight and\or being healthy? It'll make you feel better.

(Half this post directed at @Mrm27 )

So if you have enough will power like you said then why would you want to do that 24 hours without eating. I can only do with 2 scenarios
    1) If I am having a 16 hour halo session.
    2) If I am dead broke since I hate asking for help.

You are making assumptions that since you go 2 whole days with not food that you would not crave or overeating when you do have your feast days. My two scenarios I have done so Yes I have gone a whole day with no food before. So I know how my body reacts when foods are introduce back into my system. As you see I have tried your way before. Have you tried your 24 hours of no foods before?

:lol: I have lost 30 pounds thank you very much. I actually lost more before I started using MFP. I am also 5 pounds away from being smaller than I have for almost literally half my life on this earth. I am already feeling pretty good about myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    johhunt47 wrote: »
    Is your cheat meal a "go to TGI Fridays and get appetizers, dinner, and drinks?" because that could be A LOT of calories. 3500 cals = 1 lb.

It's a going to the mexican restaurant and eating chips and cheese and fried things, this last time it was also 2 drinks.

Looks like it's time to cut out the cheat meal.

Cutting out the cheat meal is a bad idea...breaks up the monotony and allows the body to recalibrate.

What do you do exercise-wise to break up the routine? Remember that the body recognizes muscle memory and the same workouts will not yield the same results if not changed occasionally.

Most important...be patient and give it time...weight loss is a slow and steady process. It can be frustrating when you don't see the scale move, but you have to figure out what works for you.

Best of luck!
    Thing is that all the exercise in the world doesn't matter if calorie intake is incorrect. And one could do the same workout, but just change the either the weights, reps, sets, speed, or rest time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yopeeps025
    edited February 2015
    Options

@christinev297
    Woohoo! Glad to "meet" another IFer, and thank you, I discovered it by complete accident. I used to work for Starbucks (best job in the world, at the right location lol) and I'd work long days as I was an hours hog. Some days when we were busy I'd eat basically nothing but drink a LOT of coffee and I had a crapton of energy. Of course I attributed it to the coffee until recently (I no longer work there) when I had a bunch of errands to run and accidentally ended up not eating for ~22 hours. The whole day I was extremely energetic and alert, so I googled something like "No eating energy" and came across IF. I was amazed and read into it a whole lot more and it made perfect sense!

I've tried a lot of "diets, and alternate day fasting is the ONLY thing that has worked to get the weight off, rather quickly and effortlessly.

ETA: it's also the only woe that has saved me money lol I've spent a crap ton of money on supplements and stuff like plexus etc none of which worked

If only more people knew... I mean it seems like almost common sense: Don't eat=Lose weight, but people (myself not excluded) don't think of it because no one talks about it as an option. Makes sense I guess, I mean there would be no $$$ made by supplement manufacturers, diet food companys, diet plan companies, myfitnesspal (haha) hell if every overweight person didn't eat for 2 days a week all major food companies (suppliers, restaurants, EVERYONE) would be losing money. So there's that lol.
    I'm sorry but what makes you think people don't talk about IF? Are you new here? Do you really think many of us haven't practiced IF? Have you bothered to look and see how many IF groups there are?

Don't believe you are paving the way for some miraculous thing. Also, IF is an eating protocol. It's not a magical solution to losing weight.

1: Yes, I'm new here (I bet my "3 posts" counter gave it away didn't it. Aw, man)
    4: I don't know what version of IF you used, but the 24 hour "Eat Stop Eat" version is both a way of eating and you WILL lose weight. (I don't remember ever mentioning anything about magic or sorcery?...)

Anything else?

That^^^^

You do the 24 hour version but have no deficit then yout won't lose weight.

The 24 hour fast is a vehicle for a deficit. It also lowers your appetite. If yo have the willpower to go 24 hours without eating then you're gonna have a weekly deficit.

That's as simply as I can put it. Maybe you'll be able to comprehend a shorter sentence. If not, your loss.

If you're into books try the book. Then see if you still want to come back and try to make your point.

You are assuming that.

Also, you shorter sentence said the same as your longer sentence, not much. But I do appreciate you making me read less.

Mucho words hurted me eyes.

DO you know how it feels to go a full day without food? It's not fun.

While he does try to present a alternative which I understand he seems to know the book theory on it but has no first experience practice which I have many more times then I would like to admit. Then tries to tell me to do not knock because I disagree with it although I have experience in this matter.
  • WholeFoodHealthy
    Options

@christinev297

Anything else?

The point that you are not getting is that even with IF in your feeding window you can eat at a surplus in one sitting. I know I can easily eat my entire day in one meal and so can a lot of people. So that you WILL lose weight is wrong.

The IF I'm talking about is the one where your "eating window" is every day besides ~2 24 hour periods per week of no eating whatsoever. If you can go 24 hours straight with no eating then you have enough willpower to NOT eat so much in 5 days that you earn back TWO WHOLE DAYS of calories...

Not to mention that if you're doing 2 24 hour fasts your appetite will be lowered enough to where you won't even want to consume +(~400) a day.

Don't knock something just because you don't want to agree with it. After all, I said in my first point that it's by no means for everyone. (though you probably didn't even read the 1st long post did you?)

I'm not here to prove science to you. I was simply offering OP advice and an alternative. Maybe focus all the energy you put into your uninformed criticism on losing weight and\or being healthy? It'll make you feel better.

So if you have enough will power like you said then why would you want to do that 24 hours without eating. I can only do with 2 scenarios

You are making assumptions that since you go 2 whole days with not food that you would not crave or overeating when you do have your feast days. My two scenarios I have done so Yes I have gone a whole day with no food before. So I know how my body reacts when foods are introduce back into my system. As you see I have tried your way before. Have you tried your 24 hours of no foods before?

:lol: I have lost 30 pounds thank you very much. I actually lost more before I started using MFP. I am also 5 pounds away from being smaller than I have for almost literally half my life on this earth. I am already feeling pretty good about myself.

For people who are invested in IF. No, they won't feast on their regular days. I have done the 24 hour fast multiple times, it's the only fast I've ever done and it makes me feel great both mentally (I know i can go 24 hours without a bit of food and i feel proud) and physically (I feel alert, energetic, clear headed) I've actually had to increase my daily cal goal since I got to the point where i was already at what I wanted to weigh BUT I was still losing weight. I now only do it once a week, sometimes skipping a week, simply for it's numerous other health benefits.
  • yopeeps025
    edited February 2015
    Options

@christinev297

Anything else?

For people who are invested in IF. No, they won't feast on their regular days. I have done the 24 hour fast multiple times, it's the only fast I've ever done and it makes me feel great both mentally (I know i can go 24 hours without a bit of food and i feel proud) and physically (I feel alert, energetic, clear headed) I've actually had to increase my daily cal goal since I got to the point where i was already at what I wanted to weigh BUT I was still losing weight. I now only do it once a week, sometimes skipping a week, simply for it's numerous other health benefits.

Yeah the bold did not happen for me during my fasts. I must be not fasting correctly to feel that way.

Also you still assume and call it will power to keep your calorie deficit in check on feast days when you go on a full day fast.
  • WholeFoodHealthy
    WholeFoodHealthy Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options

@christinev297

Anything else?

Again, more assumptions.

You're the one assuming that a person who can go 24 hours [EDIT: 24 hours 2X] with no food VOLUNTARILY can't refrain from pigging out the other 5 days.

Yes, we're both assuming. Your assumption is grasping, and very unlikely. You've got to be able to see that (I'm also ASSUMING that at this point you know you're in the wrong and are just trying to limp to the finish line without admitting it)
  • Lalachka1982
    Lalachka1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    food scale! thats all. I cant imagine how i would have lost my weight without one. thats the only accurate way to know how much you are eatting.
  • WholeFoodHealthy
    Options

@christinev297

Anything else?

Yeah the bold did not happen for me during my fasts. I must be not fasting correctly to feel that way.

Also you still assume and call it will power to keep your calorie deficit in check on feast days when you go on a full day fast.

As i said, it's in no way for everyone. You've got to do what works for you. For most people yes, it is willpower [to stay within your cal goal on feast days] but for many it is a piece of cake as fasting has lowered their appetite.

Most days I find myself under my cal goal (especially when sticking to my whole foods and NOT hitting up Wendy's). Then there are days that I am over by either a little (lets say 300) or a lot (1000) the latter due to alcohol haha. 90% of the time I exceed my goal it's intentional as I know I have wiggle room. So far I've never exceeded so much as to pull me completely out of a deficit in a week.

Keywords: NOT for everyone. Take you, you've lost 30 pounds (good job! btw) without IF. Different strokes for different folks. Just asking that everyone be open minded.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

@christinev297

Anything else?

Again, more assumptions.

You're the one assuming that a person who can go 24 hours [EDIT: 24 hours 2X] with no food VOLUNTARILY can't refrain from pigging out the other 5 days.

Yes, we're both assuming. Your assumption is grasping, and very unlikely. You've got to be able to see that (I'm also ASSUMING that at this point you know you're in the wrong and are just trying to limp to the finish line without admitting it)

No, I never said people can't do it. You said if people do it they won't overeat on other days. You're just full of assumptions.

I'm also still curious to know who exactly you were telling to dedicate more time to being healthy and losing weight.

He was telling me but everyone see my results. I see a blank profile with 8 pounds lost on his. Since he was trying to call me out.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    @aziapatrick

I know that you were feeling attacked earlier, so I hope that you will read this. Please take my comment in the spirit in which it is given. I am not attacking or judging you. I am trying to help you.

Weight loss is not linear. You just started and have already lost a lot of weight. That happens at the beginning and then it slows down. You probably won't lose weight every week. You need to look more at the trend than each individual number every week. You've lost 20(?) pounds in four weeks. That averages out to 5lbs a week. A healthy rate of weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. So you are ahead of the game and I would have been very surprised if you hadn't had a little stall this week. It's part of the process. You just need to trust it and keep going. If you're doing everything you should, the weight will come off.

However, I am going to second the suggestion to weigh your food. I know that it seems hard to believe that eye balling or measuring cups could impact your deficit enough to wipe out your deficit, but it does happen. That's why people are suggesting it. We've seen it happen to people many times. Here's a video that shows how much it can impact your deficit:

Now, since you are just starting and you have a bigger deficit (you're probably set to 2lbs a week, which is a 1000 calorie a day deficit), you can afford to be a little less accurate and still lose. But, I recommend working on your accuracy now. At some point, your deficit will get smaller (a lot of people end up with less than 250 calories a day for a deficit at the end). At that point, a little inaccuracy will stand in the way of your success. It's better to learn it sooner than later.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The cheat meal may be killing your progress. Try finding things that are delicious but low cal, like strawberries for example, to enjoy. I have an ice cream substitute that's crazy good. I put frozen bananas and frozen strawberries in a food processor with some vanilla and enough milk to give the mixture a soft serve consistency. Process until smooth and no lumps. You can eat like 16 oz of this for about 200-250 calories and it's delicious! You can use various other fruits too; I just try to avoid things with seeds or skins that would mess up the texture.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @SingRunTing, outstanding video, and exactly what I've experienced since getting my food scale early on in my weight loss journey. That video should be a sticky in this forum.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @SingRunTing, outstanding video, and exactly what I've experienced since getting my food scale early on in my weight loss journey. That video should be a sticky in this forum.

Thanks! It's one of my favorites and I don't see it posted often enough around here.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. I know you've gotten like a thousand people saying that, but it's true. Get a scale, and several sets of measuring cups and measuring spoons. Then measure and track every single thing that goes into your mouth. The scale doesn't have to be ugly, or feel punative. I use an antique scale that was originally used to weigh eggs for sale. It's cute and looks nice in my kitchen as well as being accurate!