Ice Cream Substitute

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    rodencala980 wrote: »
    "I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?"

Stay away from refined sugar all together. Sugar in almost any form can be addicting. If you're one of the peope who's body is addicted to it (for whatever reason) then suggestions to modify your portions won't help. If you could modify or portion control you wouldn't be asking for help :) unfortunately, moderation doesn't apply in addiction.

Nope, sorry, sugar is not chemically an addictive substance. One might be mentally addicted (which could be construed as just making excuses to do what you please and not have to exert any willpower) but there is no such thing as a physical addiction to sugar.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find the Skinny Cow Snickerdoodle sandwiches at Wal-Mart so I'll have to check at Giant the next time I go.

The Ben & Jerry's Speculoos Cookie Core is pretty good.
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    blend some frozen fruits for gainzzz
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I can't always eat much ice cream because sometimes dairy makes me ill. Ice cream is the worst offender. But, when I do, I prefer the real, full fat, genuine ice creams - homemade if I can. The fat and creaminess yum! makes me eat less because it's so rich.

A lot of commercial ice creams have weird consistencies and with news of the stabilizers and ice cream that doesn't melt, I had that aha! moment that explained the weird textures.

That being said, when I think I want ice cream but I'm not sure how my stomach is that day, I do love a frozen banana blended up alone or with some cocoa or pb. It's actually pretty good. I don't worry about the calories as long as it fits my day.
  • heyhey2015
    heyhey2015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars are good, around 100 calories, 6 gr protein, carbs are prob 15+ but if you fit it in, they are good. Sea Salt Carmel one is my favorite.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat real ice cream.
  • TerryVierra
    Options
    We make our own green tea ice cream and don't scrimp on the cream!
    Only one scoop at a time and only a few times per week cures our craving for the real thing ☺️
  • melbell0
    Options
    Homemade Coconut milk Icecream is a great substitute! And really easy to make :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I found a new great control for eating ice cream: buy stuff that is outrageously expensive...

These were on sale for $10 each:
    20150208_173125_zpsp8bgg3cb.jpg

There is great incentive to make it last and stick to one serving at most. And going for high quality, full flavor ice creams does satisfy with the smaller quantities.
  • bhbeisly
    Options
    A small glass of chocolate Silk soy milk does the trick for me everytime.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a Magic Bullet and I throw in some frozen bananas and strawberries with milk and it comes into this frozen yogurt/ice cream consistency. It's pretty good.

Here's a recipe for homemade Ice Cream substitute. It's very creamy, filling & satisfies the cravings! Since finding this recipe I always have 1-2 flavors in the freezer for emergencies!

High Protein, No Sugar Added Ice Cream
    1/2 cup No-fat Cottage Cheese ( don't knock it until you try it)
    1/2 Frozen Banana
    1/3 cup Frozen Berries or Fruit (strawberries, blueberries, even pineapple!)
    2-3 TBS Almond Milk
    1/4 sp Vanilla
    5-7 Drops Liquid Stevia (or equilivant)
    1:8 tsp Xanthum Gum (Optional-makes it very smooth & creamy)
    1 TBS Vanilla Protein Powder (optional)

Mix it all together in Magic Bullet blender or other full-size blender. It will get very thick. Pour into container. Freeze for about 3 hours. Hint: Stiring 2-3 times during freezing makes it freeze faster and looses it up so its not one big ice cube. If leftovers ( I double the recipe) freeze in solid block just remove from freezer 20-30 minutes to soften.

A double batch is about 4-5 servings at 200 calories depending on the portion size.

Even my picky partner loves this and has proclaimed that it's addictive... There's that word again! Next batch I'm going to stir in some mini chocolate chips!
  • Dolce_xxv
    Dolce_xxv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At Walmart they have a machine called Yonanas it's like 45$. Buy fresh fruit freeze it and then you can make it into ice cream. It's amazing gotta try it !!! :D
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ice cream is for babies.
    Beer
    You, I like.
    And Doritos.

ETA :
    Alright, I'll give a serious response too.

If you have a very hard time moderating ice cream, at first do not keep it in the house. Try substitutions and, if you enjoy them, hey that's great.

Once you have a good grip on your calorie intake and are used to eating less, introduce single serving packages of ice cream into your day every now and again.

Once you are used to eating portioned ice cream, buy multiple single serving packages.

Once you are used to eating portioned ice cream and have it in the fridge without going ham on it, eat ice cream any which way you want.

ETA after the ETA :
    But I stand by my earlier statement that ice cream is for babies.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I bought Weight Watchers dark chocolate raspberry ice cream bars and they are really good. A serving is one or two. 90 calories, 5g of fat, and 8g of sugar for one and 170 calories, 10g of fat, and 16g of sugar for two.

I haven't had two for one serving.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana blended with peanut butter :) yum! I also like to add cinnamon

I never understood this one to be honest.

1 banana = 100 calories
    1 tbsp peanuts butter = 100 calories

200 calories for a 1/2 cup serving.

Ice cream = 150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. 120 for light at slightly over 200 for rich.

How is that different? (aside from the fact that ice cream tastes better)

I think this is more about eating natural than lowering calories. Banana and peanut butter have natural ingredients, and no added sugar.

DoubleFacePalm_inline.jpg
  • guenevererose
    Options
    I was always told, the cheaper the ice cream, the less milkfat in it. Remember ice milk? Then you have to decide if you want to consume a cup of ingredients you can't identify, or a little less...yet a bit more healthy. If you need quantity, just bury it under some fresh fruit and a pinch of nuts. <3 Rose
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?
    OP you are from Wisconsin, the Good Land, the Dairy State. Not eating ice cream is forsaking your birthright.

Eat ice cream, but in moderation.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rodencala980 wrote: »
    "I am horribly addicted to ice cream and I'm trying to find a substitute. Anyone have any suggestions?"

Stay away from refined sugar all together. Sugar in almost any form can be addicting. If you're one of the peope who's body is addicted to it (for whatever reason) then suggestions to modify your portions won't help. If you could modify or portion control you wouldn't be asking for help :) unfortunately, moderation doesn't apply in addiction.

You should make this your only post. Ever.
  • caroayalafree
    caroayalafree Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My trainer recommended Artic Zero, or Artic Freeze. You find it at some supermarkets, it is mostly protein and very little sugar alcohol. I recommend Strawberry, is the best one I've tried.

http://amazon.com/Arctic-Zero-Variety-10-Pack-flavor/dp/B003HV3VYQ
  • stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Frozen Muller Light Yoghurt is apparently good as a sub