Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

How did I gain 3 pounds on 800 calories a day?

Options
Ok so for two months I had a 800 calorie diet that worked great. I lost 25 pounds but then after getting some blood work decided to make my diet more "Heart Friendly". I switched to Almond milk, added Dark chocolate, Sardines and Red wine. Still only 800 calories a day and yet amazingly after a week I gained 3 pounds ... how is this remotely possible? Bear in mind I exercise 15 mins a day. Obviously I switched back to my previous diet plan but I just would like some scientific reasoning behind the weight gain.

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    sardines = salt = water weight.

800 calories a day is not going to get you a lot of positive feedback here, just forewarning.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is no way on earth you are getting all the nutrients you need on 800 cals a day - esp if you use some on wine and chocolate.

Your heart is a muscle - a 800 cal a day diet will see you losing a lot of muscle, therefore NOTHING about this diet is heart healthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »

800 calories a day is not going to get you a lot of positive feedback here, just forewarning.

It will get deleted as talking about dangerous diets is against the TOS (all hail)
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    did you correctly measure the wine? The people that know me, know when I say one glass of wine, I mean one red solo cup of wine.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I mean. Should it get positive feedback, unless medically supervisored (which, judging by what's being eaten, I doubt.)

OP: you probably eat more than you think. At least I hope you do.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day is NOT heart healthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    did you correctly measure the wine? The people that know me, know when I say one glass of wine, I mean one red solo cup of wine.

Seriously??????????
  • Thantanos
    Thantanos Posts: 45 Member
    Options

But my sardines are only 260 mg of salt. My salt intake is way low. mmm it is possible I only gained water weight and my losses would have started again but after not loosing i got scared.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    800 calories per day for a 38 year old male?!?!? WHY? :'(
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Seriously??????????
    it was a joke.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day is not healthy. Good heavens, please eat more food.
  • Thantanos
    Options
    There is no way on earth you are getting all the nutrients you need on 800 cals a day - esp if you use some on wine and chocolate.

Your heart is a muscle - a 800 cal a day diet will see you losing a lot of muscle, therefore NOTHING about this diet is heart healthy.

I wont try to convince you a low calorie diet is the pinnacle of health. Its a personal choice that has lost me slow weight successfully. I also take supplements and all my nutritional needs are being met.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Because he wants to lose all his muscle, then hair then heart health.

probably a lack of patience. 
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hyperbole!!!
  • Thantanos
    Options

Oh yes I measured in ounces (5 only).
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Thantanos wrote: »

I wont try to convince you a low calorie diet is the pinnacle of health. Its a personal choice that has lost me slow weight successfully. I also take supplements and all my nutritional needs are being met.

lol lol lol

25lbs in 2 months is not slow.

Natural selection at work.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You need to stop this nonsense. Now.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Seriously??????????
    it was a joke.

Thank god - sorry sometimes its hard to tell in these threads.
  • Thantanos
    Options

Whelp im 50% fat. And to be honest I am NEVER hungry on my diet plan. I work, I workout I have tons of energy and loosing weight is making me happy.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Thantanos wrote: »

I'm sorry, but no, your nutritional needs are not being met with 800 calories a day.