How did I gain 3 pounds on 800 calories a day?

Ok so for two months I had a 800 calorie diet that worked great. I lost 25 pounds but then after getting some blood work decided to make my diet more "Heart Friendly". I switched to Almond milk, added Dark chocolate, Sardines and Red wine. Still only 800 calories a day and yet amazingly after a week I gained 3 pounds ... how is this remotely possible? Bear in mind I exercise 15 mins a day. Obviously I switched back to my previous diet plan but I just would like some scientific reasoning behind the weight gain.

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    sardines = salt = water weight.

800 calories a day is not going to get you a lot of positive feedback here, just forewarning.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    There is no way on earth you are getting all the nutrients you need on 800 cals a day - esp if you use some on wine and chocolate.

Your heart is a muscle - a 800 cal a day diet will see you losing a lot of muscle, therefore NOTHING about this diet is heart healthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    trixieloo wrote: »

800 calories a day is not going to get you a lot of positive feedback here, just forewarning.

It will get deleted as talking about dangerous diets is against the TOS (all hail)
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    did you correctly measure the wine? The people that know me, know when I say one glass of wine, I mean one red solo cup of wine.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member

I mean. Should it get positive feedback, unless medically supervisored (which, judging by what's being eaten, I doubt.)

OP: you probably eat more than you think. At least I hope you do.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    800 calories a day is NOT heart healthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    did you correctly measure the wine? The people that know me, know when I say one glass of wine, I mean one red solo cup of wine.

Seriously??????????
  • Thantanos
    Thantanos Posts: 45 Member

But my sardines are only 260 mg of salt. My salt intake is way low. mmm it is possible I only gained water weight and my losses would have started again but after not loosing i got scared.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    800 calories per day for a 38 year old male?!?!? WHY? :'(
  • jillmarie125
    edited February 2015

Seriously??????????
    it was a joke.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    800 calories a day is not healthy. Good heavens, please eat more food.
  • Thantanos
    There is no way on earth you are getting all the nutrients you need on 800 cals a day - esp if you use some on wine and chocolate.

Your heart is a muscle - a 800 cal a day diet will see you losing a lot of muscle, therefore NOTHING about this diet is heart healthy.

I wont try to convince you a low calorie diet is the pinnacle of health. Its a personal choice that has lost me slow weight successfully. I also take supplements and all my nutritional needs are being met.
  • Iron_Feline

Because he wants to lose all his muscle, then hair then heart health.

probably a lack of patience. 
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Hyperbole!!!
  • Thantanos

Oh yes I measured in ounces (5 only).
  • Iron_Feline
    Thantanos wrote: »

I wont try to convince you a low calorie diet is the pinnacle of health. Its a personal choice that has lost me slow weight successfully. I also take supplements and all my nutritional needs are being met.

lol lol lol

25lbs in 2 months is not slow.

Natural selection at work.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    You need to stop this nonsense. Now.
  • Iron_Feline

Seriously??????????
    it was a joke.

Thank god - sorry sometimes its hard to tell in these threads.
  • Thantanos

Whelp im 50% fat. And to be honest I am NEVER hungry on my diet plan. I work, I workout I have tons of energy and loosing weight is making me happy.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

I'm sorry, but no, your nutritional needs are not being met with 800 calories a day.
  • jillmarie125

Seriously??????????
    it was a joke.

- well i do drink my wine out of red solo cup. but i really wasn't concerned on how OP was measuring his wine. Because I think OP might be just trying to have some fun with us...

• Iron_Feline

Whelp im 50% fat. And to be honest I am NEVER hungry on my diet plan. I work, I workout I have tons of energy and loosing weight is making me happy.

Anorexics don't feel hungry.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member

What are your stats? Nevermind the lack of hunger, do you not realize that what you are doing is EXTREMELY unhealthy? All the supplements in the world (which btw, are not the best way to get your necessary vitamins and minerals) would not make this healthy OR sustainable.

Help us to help you.

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    I agree with eveyone else here. Start eating more and the weight may start to shift.
  • jillmarie125

Oh yes I measured in ounces (5 only).
    try cutting down to 4 ounces

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I do intermittent fasting, and on the days I eat between 500-900 calories I am miles away from hitting my macros. It's just impossible! !!
  • Iron_Feline

Seriously??????????
    it was a joke.

- well i do drink my wine out of red solo cup. but i really wasn't concerned on how OP was measuring his wine. Because I think OP might be just trying to have some fun with us...

Possibly - but I'm erring on the side of caution for the lurkers.

It will be deleted soon.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member

Daiako wrote: »

I mean. Should it get positive feedback, unless medically supervisored (which, judging by what's being eaten, I doubt.)

No, it's crazy stupid. I just wasn't going to be the one to start it. :)
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Of all the discussion boards I've been on in the last 16 years...this one is the easiest to troll. I don't get it.
  • Thantanos
    My Stats? Well I am 5' 6" 234 pounds. I run 15 mins a day, do pushups, squats. Really I have been enjoying this plan for two months. I should mention that I do cheat once per week at a place of my choice, but my cheating is always under my maintenance calorie count.