hmmmmmm

Options
Dthomas1979
Dthomas1979 Posts: 20
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm curious....
1) Does anyone know around how long it takes for a person to start showing results as far as seeing the inches and pounds come off???
2) Does anyone have any ideas on kid friendly healthy meals?
I have a 4 year old and 5 year old and they are not to fond of the kind of food I am eating..
I just want to comment on my dinner tonight...
I ate at subway for dinner and I am so surprised as to how many calories are in just 1 sub.
I ate a 12 inch Roasted chicken breast on wheat with shredded cheese and I looked at how many calories it was. I was stunned that it turned out to be 640 calories, 94 Carbs, 10 fat, 1220 sodium... I also had a (shame on me ) Med Chocolate Chip Frappe from Mc Donalds which was 630 Calories, 28 fat, and 89 Carbs.. I knew Mc Donalds was going to be a lot but I thought subway was suppose to be healthy....
Good thing I did an 1100 calorie work out for house work today....
anyways just a little information on subway so people are aware that it is not all that healthy....
thanks.....

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cheese adds up. Creamy dressings too. I eat a six or four inch. Knowledge is power.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Your calorie burn for housework may cause you a problem. You are over estimating your burn, I think. Subway is not low calorie but that is what they would like to believe.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The first thing that jumped out at me is you said you burned 1100 calories doing housework today, which I presume you must have logged by getting the calorie estimate from the MFP exercise database? If so, that burn is way overestimated. Even if you are obese, and I don't know whether you are or not, it's doubtful you burned that many calories just doing housework. The only exercise burns logged are cardio workouts.

I don't now how long it will take you to see results, but it took few months for me to see inches lost. Weight loss is not linear, and inches come off where they choose to come off.

I don't have kids, but my nieces just had whatever was cooked for dinner. Why should they have anything different? What kind of food are you eating that they are not fond of?

There is nothing at all wrong with your dinner, as long as what you choose to eat fits into your calorie goals and your macros are in line with what you choose.

What are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The wonderful/annoying thing about weight loss is the learning experience! (I'll bet you'll think twice before getting a frappe now considering how much work it takes to burn off) Eventually you'll work out what you're wiling to spend a few more calories on and what's not worth it. You'll get there, just keep working at it :)

Inches and pounds differs depending on your stats, 2 pounds a week is generally a safe place to start and then 1 pound a week when you drop more... but in saying that, for me, I would drop a couple pounds one week and then nothing the next, just keep going and it'l move :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    640 for a 12" Sub is actually pretty good, that's quite a lot of food. I often have a 6" for lunch and think it's a calorie bargain for quick and easy at 320 cals...

I mean we're talkling a 12" bread roll and good 200+ grams of chicken, even the leanest cooked chicken breast is going to be 300+ calories for 200g cooked. Bread tends to be high in calories, just by its very nature. If you had cheese and dressing, that adds up too.

Don't go confusing higher calories with "healthy", either. Just because something in higher in calories doesn't make it unhealthy, and just because something is low calorie doesn't make it healthy.
  • laurab384
    laurab384 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 & 3 yo. Making healthy kid friendly meals isn't as hard as it may seem at first.

Tacos- use whole wheat tortillas, let the kids choose what goes on theirs. Usually mine do meat, cheese & taco sauce but they like avocado (when available) and have just recently refried beans (because it smelled so good!).
    Add lots of veggies for you (tomatoes, bell peppers, avocado, beans, etc.) watch the cheese portion since it's calorie dense.

Pasta- pasta can be healthy, just watch the portions! Again put lots of veggies in yours and see if there are some your kids will like. Mine like mushrooms and bell peppers in pasta.

Soup- I find puréed soups go down well with my kids. Potato & broccoli, squash, lentil (yes really!). Or hearty things like beef stew, ham & pea, etc. Add a slice of bread or a biscuit w/ some butter.

Oven "fried" chicken, vegetable, corn or mashed potatoes (I make it with broth instead of milk or cream and a little butter. It works!)

Homemade pizza- use store bought dough if you don't have time to make it. Easiest sauce ever- purée 1 can San Marzano or Roma tomatoes. That's it! Let kids add the cheese & toppings they want.

There's also the trick of giving them cut up vegtables before dinner when they're REALLY hungry so they get those first. Then if they're picky about dinner it's not such a big deal.

:)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    laurab384 wrote: »
    I have a 6 & 3 yo. Making healthy kid friendly meals isn't as hard as it may seem at first.

Tacos- use whole wheat tortillas, let the kids choose what goes on theirs. Usually mine do meat, cheese & taco sauce but they like avocado (when available) and have just recently refried beans (because it smelled so good!).
    Add lots of veggies for you (tomatoes, bell peppers, avocado, beans, etc.) watch the cheese portion since it's calorie dense.

Pasta- pasta can be healthy, just watch the portions! Again put lots of veggies in yours and see if there are some your kids will like. Mine like mushrooms and bell peppers in pasta.

Soup- I find puréed soups go down well with my kids. Potato & broccoli, squash, lentil (yes really!). Or hearty things like beef stew, ham & pea, etc. Add a slice of bread or a biscuit w/ some butter.

Oven "fried" chicken, vegetable, corn or mashed potatoes (I make it with broth instead of milk or cream and a little butter. It works!)

Homemade pizza- use store bought dough if you don't have time to make it. Easiest sauce ever- purée 1 can San Marzano or Roma tomatoes. That's it! Let kids add the cheese & toppings they want.

There's also the trick of giving them cut up vegtables before dinner when they're REALLY hungry so they get those first. Then if they're picky about dinner it's not such a big deal.

Well, I'm coming to your house for food, and I'm not even a kid. :D
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm curious....
    1) Does anyone know around how long it takes for a person to start showing results as far as seeing the inches and pounds come off???
    I have a 4 year old and 5 year old and they are not to fond of the kind of food I am eating..
    I ate at subway for dinner and I am so surprised as to how many calories are in just 1 sub.
    I ate a 12 inch Roasted chicken breast on wheat with shredded cheese and I looked at how many calories it was. I was stunned that it turned out to be 640 calories, 94 Carbs, 10 fat, 1220 sodium... I also had a (shame on me ) Med Chocolate Chip Frappe from Mc Donalds which was 630 Calories, 28 fat, and 89 Carbs.. I knew Mc Donalds was going to be a lot but I thought subway was suppose to be healthy....
    anyways just a little information on subway so people are aware that it is not all that healthy....
    thanks.....

Try a 6 inch only flat bread. Load up on the veggies. I usually get a double turkey with no cheese, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, pineapple and jalapenos. I get black pepper and lots of mustard. Its still really high in sodium, so don't have one every day, but it is delicious and satiating.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    laurab384 wrote: »

Well, I'm coming to your house for food, and I'm not even a kid. :D

Me too sounds mega yummy
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

[snip]

LOL - now that's funny stuff ...

...and a textbook demonstration of why folks complain about not seeing the results they want.

HINT: I have to do a HARD and FAST 11-miler run to burn 1100. No way does any amount of "house work" (short of building the house itself, with only hand tools, wearing a weight vest) - no way does *any* house work come close to even half those calories. You're only kidding yourself. The rest of us see through it.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm curious....
    thanks.....

Pounds, if you are logging accurately, almost immediately in my experience. It takes a while for other people to notice. I lost over 20 pounds before people commented on it.

I would not go by MFP's burns, especially for things like housework/yardwork. Most people eat half of their exercise calories. Personally, I don't log housework and only log a fraction of the yardwork. But don't beat yourself up for today--just move on. You will make better choices tomorrow.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    HINT: I have to do a HARD and FAST 11-miler run to burn 1100.

No you don't. Work is defined by the displacement of mass across a distance. The speed at which it occurs does not influence the amount of energy consumed.

To burn 1100 calories you may have had to move 11 miles, but you'd burn the same calories (roughly) walking, running, or skipping there. In fact, as running is more efficient than walking, if you'd walked 11 miles you'd have burned MORE than 1100 calories.

When you say things like "you have to run hard and fast for 11 miles" you will discourage people from exercising. There's no reason a beginner couldn't start by walking.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

No you don't. Work is defined by the displacement of mass across a distance. The speed at which it occurs does not influence the amount of energy consumed.

To burn 1100 calories you may have had to move 11 miles, but you'd burn the same calories (roughly) walking, running, or skipping there. In fact, as running is more efficient than walking, if you'd walked 11 miles you'd have burned MORE than 1100 calories.

This is nonsense.

Read this...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

TL;DR: Run faster, burn more calories.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

Read this...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

Interesting article! Just like the author of that linked story, I apparently was misled by previous physics professors. Thanks for linking.
  • Dthomas1979
    Dthomas1979 Posts: 20
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To clear things up the amount of house work I did was a full house clean kinda a pre spring cleaning it took me 3 hours to clean everything with my full spring cleaning including:
    Sweeping carpet since it burns more cals then vacuuming, Sweeping and mopping kitchen washing clothes, cleaning room, walking, stretching, cleaning bathroom, Stretching again, picking up garbage, taking garbage out.. cleaning windows, my belly dancing workout this morning, ect... I totaled all the calories together for each individual activity and that is what it came up to.....
    Thanks for the ideas for my children... and if you knew my children you would understand y cleaning is such a task... anywho that's why I said that many calories....thanks
  • Dthomas1979
    Options
    please understand I am only wanting positive feed back if you are going to be negative in anyway to anyones posts on here the please do not comment
    my stats are I want to lose 90 pounds,
    I weigh 240 pounds and I want to lose the weight before the end of the year so im hoping I will be able to kick the weight in the butt......
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »

This is nonsense.

Read this...

That article (and the study it features) does NOT say running faster burns more calories than running slower.

It says running burns more calories than walking slow/briskly, but fewer calories than walking really really fast (~12:30 min/mile).

I have not been able to find any actual studies on whether running speed affects calories burned per mile. Lots of "studies show" and vague assertions either way. A couple times I've come across references to studies that...don't show anything either way about running speed's effect on calorie burning.

ETA: If you've got the research either way, I'm super interested to see it. :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    please understand I am only wanting positive feed back if you are going to be negative in anyway to anyones posts on here the please do not comment
    my stats are I want to lose 90 pounds,
    I weigh 240 pounds and I want to lose the weight before the end of the year so im hoping I will be able to kick the weight in the butt......

No one is being negative. They are pointing out very good facts that can help you reach your goals; like not thinking high calorie is unhealthy, or logging house cleaning as exercise. Right now you are most likely overlogging your exercising, which is not going to give you accurate calorie burns. I never log cleaning, because it is not consistent cardio that you can get an accurate calorie burn from. I'm sorry, but I doubt you burned almost 400 calories an hour cleaning. I burn 300+ after 45 minutes hardcore on the elliptical, and even at my heaviest 30lbs ago, I would still need around 45-60 minutes of consistent cardio to meet a portion of your logged burns. Most seasoned veterans on here will say (like you've already seen) to only log actual cardio exercises.

Additionally, you also got good advice on meal ideas as well; I'm failing to see where the negativity is. It's really important on this site to be receptive to others who have been in your shoes, and want to see you succeed. There aren't many free sites out there where people are willing to give advice, mentor you, and steer you away from potentially incorrect ideas towards food/weight loss approaches for free. We've all been there, and want to make sure you are approaching this in the best way possible.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Positive reinforcement of incorrect assumptions leads to weight stall / gain and disappointment

I love these boards because you get to hear the truth ..which as grown-ups should be what you are looking for

Try skinnytaste.com for lots of lovely recipes

1100 calorie burn for 3 hours heavy workout ...I can buy that ...just be careful with calorie burns
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Just so you know, posting on a PUBLIC forum and then asking people not to comment isnt going to end well... plus no one has been negative, they have just pointed out things that might HELP you...