hmmmmmm

Options

Replies

• 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Three or four days a week I have a smoothie in place of a meal. I use spinach/kale, berries, a banana, chia seeds and almond milk. Its usually in the evening because sometimes I am not that hungry, but I want something sweet and nutritionally sound.
    Banana 120, chia seeds 1 tbs 60, almond milk 1 c. 60, spinach 20, kale 35, berries 70 =365

yes....I am aware of that...It fits in my daily. :\
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Three or four days a week I have a smoothie in place of a meal. I use spinach/kale, berries, a banana, chia seeds and almond milk. Its usually in the evening because sometimes I am not that hungry, but I want something sweet and nutritionally sound.
    Banana 120, chia seeds 1 tbs 60, almond milk 1 c. 60, spinach 20, kale 35, berries 70 =365

But for ME, I would rather have chocolate! :smiley: laughs
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

wait, OR cheesecake!!!
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    LOL. Oh well, true. I usually have my chocolate after lunch..then I don't have to share with the kiddos and husband. :disagree:
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    My kids are now in college but even when the were little these are the ways I would find to cook for them while I was eating to lose:

Spaghetti or Chili...these are easy places to hide lots of veggies. Diced onions, peppers and even carrots super small get hidden in a red sauce very easily. My kids could always detect mushrooms though somehow. I also used lower calorie ground turkey in place of beef and for myself would have my spaghetti sauce either on a piece of low cal toast (similar to a sloppy joe) or just carefully measure out my pasta.

As an extension on this - my wife puts EVERYTHING into the sauce that she and I like, Peppers, Mushrooms, Courgette.... She then portions some out for the kids and blends it with the hand blender. So far as they are concerned its just pasta sauce, and they eat it very happily.

Amazing how the sight of a vegetable can put a kid off!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knew any good smoothie ideas i know that or i have been told that smoothies are a good thing to have when your dieting....

1 serving of vanilla protein powder, plus the amount of water that goes with it, + 1/2 C unsweetened frozen berries makes a good smoothie. Any frozen fruit plus milk will make a smoothie too, but I think you will need to be very careful about the number of ingredients that you use and portion size.

A smoothie is a meal or a large snack, it is NOT the drink that you use to accompany another solid meal. If you stop drinking your calories, that could make a huge difference.

I think that for you working on portion size is going to be key. A 12" sub is not a meal for one person--it is two or maybe even three meals.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    HINT: I have to do a HARD and FAST 11-miler run to burn 1100.

No you don't. Work is defined by the displacement of mass across a distance. The speed at which it occurs does not influence the amount of energy consumed.

To burn 1100 calories you may have had to move 11 miles, but you'd burn the same calories (roughly) walking, running, or skipping there. In fact, as running is more efficient than walking, if you'd walked 11 miles you'd have burned MORE than 1100 calories.

When you say things like "you have to run hard and fast for 11 miles" you will discourage people from exercising. There's no reason a beginner couldn't start by walking.

Physics much?

Work is equivalent across same distance and same mass, regardless of intensity/speed, I'll grant you that - you are correct on that point - but you are grossly misinformed or miseducted or just downright confused. Work is in no way equivalent to the *energy* required to perform said work. Calories measure energy, after all, not work.

We have this concept - maybe you've heard of it - we call it "efficiency", right?

We also have these things called aerobic respiration and anaerobic respiration - both with completely different engines for transforming energy into a form suitable for cellular use. Kinda like a car with one engine can get 35 mpg and you throw a different, less efficient engine in and you might get 22 mpg.

Don't confuse energy with work, Bro - and *understand* what happens at the aerobic/anaerobic threshold where the engine changes.

I don't particularly care who I'm encouraging, or discouraging when this kind of tripe is involved. There's no way anyone burns 1100 calories over-and-above BMR in a single day on "housework"

SOURCE:

"Distance itself does not really determine total calories burned. How long you exercise, how fast/hard you exercise, how much you weigh, and your fitness level are the major determinants of calories burned." (link)

HINT: "Aerobic metabolism is up to 15 times more efficient than anaerobic metabolism "

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    600+ calories for a 12 inch sub sounds pretty low cal to me.

They are 1000+ depending on what you get.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

Read this...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

TL;DR: Run faster, burn more calories.

Interesting article! Just like the author of that linked story, I apparently was misled by previous physics professors. Thanks for linking.

You are simply confusing work, with the energy required to perform said work. A classic and common misunderstanding.

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

wait, OR cheesecake!!!

Or cheesecake with chocolate?!?
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Much as chocolate or cheesecake is really nice, sometimes it's more filling to have something healthy, though not as tasty. If I get towards the end of the day and I feel satisfied by what I've eaten so far, ie. not particularly hungry, I'll eat a treat like chocolate if I have enough calories left. I find that on the days I eat 'junk' food too early in the day and leave myself with few calories for the rest of the day I end up really hungry by bedtime because those foods aren't very filling.
  • rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Cleaning is normal daily activity and included already in your activity level. Regardless, the burn you're claiming is really high and you're only sabotaging yourself. As far as eating out, there is nothing wrong with it, but you will never get as much bang for your buck, (higher calories and sodium). Additionally, drinking your calories is taking away from you getting real food, thus keeping you sated longer.
    please understand I am only wanting positive feed back if you are going to be negative in anyway to anyones posts on here the please do not comment

These comments are being made to help you address your concerns and are not meant to be negative. Sometimes honesty bites!

Exactly this. Even if you have your levels set to sedentary don't include things like housework. Even sedentary activity levels have some activity in them.

I don't think 3 hours cleaning is that excessive to be honest, I reckon I can do that most days (OCD much).

I only log 'proper' exercise like cardio workouts - swimming, jogging, and weight training, though that isn't many cals.

I have MFP set to lightly active. I usually walk my 10,00 steps, that's 4 1/2 miles on any given day, I also do housework, clean chickens, garden etc... I don't log any of this.

I don't think anyone is intending to be negative towards you, honestly. I think people genuinely want to help and don't want you setting yourself up for a fall. If you are eating subs etc every day and believe ing you're burning 1000 cals off by doing housework when you're not, it really isn't going to work for you.

Good luck! :) x
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    HINT: I have to do a HARD and FAST 11-miler run to burn 1100.

No you don't. Work is defined by the displacement of mass across a distance. The speed at which it occurs does not influence the amount of energy consumed.

To burn 1100 calories you may have had to move 11 miles, but you'd burn the same calories (roughly) walking, running, or skipping there. In fact, as running is more efficient than walking, if you'd walked 11 miles you'd have burned MORE than 1100 calories.

This is nonsense.

Read this...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

TL;DR: Run faster, burn more calories.

That article (and the study it features) does NOT say running faster burns more calories than running slower.

It says running burns more calories than walking slow/briskly, but fewer calories than walking really really fast (~12:30 min/mile).

I have not been able to find any actual studies on whether running speed affects calories burned per mile. Lots of "studies show" and vague assertions either way. A couple times I've come across references to studies that...don't show anything either way about running speed's effect on calorie burning.

ETA: If you've got the research either way, I'm super interested to see it. :)

Most of the research on calories burned at various speeds seems to be old.
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/18/2/367 "Indirect calorimetric measurements were made on two athletes running at different speeds up to 22 km/hr at grades from -20 to +15%; the function was found to be linearly related to speed. "

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/11/3/116.short - The caloric cost per unit distance and time increased with acceleration in running speed.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/24977694 - this one is about finding the minimum cost of transit (most efficient speed for running)

(I haven't done any serious examination of the articles - I just had a few minutes to prod google scholar)

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    600+ calories for a 12 inch sub sounds pretty low cal to me.

They are 1000+ depending on what you get.

Yep. I always get ham and provolone on Italian, which is around 320 just for those items. Since I get mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, and pickles, the calorie count is 0 or probably >5 per set of items, so I just log it as that flat 320 amount, and plan for my normal daily activities to cancel out the rest.

It's crazy how high calorie some of those can get! And some people don't realize those calorie counts are the flat count for just meat and bread. But it's soooo good.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

wait, OR cheesecake!!!

Okay, IN!
    ow3yv101ewum.jpeg

• Dthomas1979
    Options
    there are only 2 things in the logs for exersize cardio and strength.. is there a place I can record the other stuff like stretching and things for calorie count?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    there are only 2 things in the logs for exersize cardio and strength.. is there a place I can record the other stuff like stretching and things for calorie count?

There's an entry under cardio for stretching. Have a play with the search function or the drop down menu, it has a large range of entries.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

There's an entry under cardio for stretching. Have a play with the search function or the drop down menu, it has a large range of entries.

Don't log stretching for calories. Stretch for fitness. If you just want to log it for tracking purposes, change the calories burned to 1.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

Stretching is such a minimal calorie burn; it's another thing you don't want to log.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

wait, OR cheesecake!!!

Okay, IN!
    ow3yv101ewum.jpeg

+2 :D

3392---0.jpg