hmmmmmm

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    please understand I am only wanting positive feed back if you are going to be negative in anyway to anyones posts on here the please do not comment
    This is going to be a huge hurdle for you to overcome.
    If are not prepared to listen to good advice from people pointing out your mistakes you are going to have to learn it the hard way when you don't get the results you expect.

“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”
    - Otto von Bismarck

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    please understand I am only wanting positive feed back if you are going to be negative in anyway to anyones posts on here the please do not comment
    my stats are I want to lose 90 pounds,
    I weigh 240 pounds and I want to lose the weight before the end of the year so im hoping I will be able to kick the weight in the butt......

People are not being negative, they are telling you that you are not going to lose this way. Your dinner alone was almost all the calories the average woman needs to maintain a normal weight, without exercise. Unfortunately, no the 3 hours cleaning did not burn 1000+ calories, on anything close to that. Count this day as a learning experience, and use it to make better choices tomorrow.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way about Subway too. :( I don't like the flat bread, so to save calories, I just take off a piece of the wheat bread (top or bottom) and fold my sandwich in half. I never feel like Subway puts enough toppings on their sandwiches, so by eliminating some of the bread, it solves that problem too! Win/win! :D
  • crazykatlady_
    crazykatlady_ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Take it from a heavy girl- don't log the cleaning & every day activities. By all means, clean your *kitten* off because while mfp overestimates the burn, you are still burning...just don't log it. If you're doing some sort of cardio log that, but still keep in mind the mfp burn estimate is overly generous most of the time. So, I try not to eat back my exercise calories (or only half).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cleaning is normal daily activity and included already in your activity level. Regardless, the burn you're claiming is really high and you're only sabotaging yourself. As far as eating out, there is nothing wrong with it, but you will never get as much bang for your buck, (higher calories and sodium). Additionally, drinking your calories is taking away from you getting real food, thus keeping you sated longer.

These comments are being made to help you address your concerns and are not meant to be negative. Sometimes honesty bites!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    About that subway sub -- it's not 640, I assume you had the chicken breast, it's more like 900 to 1000 calories after you add the cheese and dressings especially if you had a creamy dressing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    HINT: I have to do a HARD and FAST 11-miler run to burn 1100.

No you don't. Work is defined by the displacement of mass across a distance. The speed at which it occurs does not influence the amount of energy consumed.

To burn 1100 calories you may have had to move 11 miles, but you'd burn the same calories (roughly) walking, running, or skipping there. In fact, as running is more efficient than walking, if you'd walked 11 miles you'd have burned MORE than 1100 calories.

This is nonsense.

Read this...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

TL;DR: Run faster, burn more calories.

That article (and the study it features) does NOT say running faster burns more calories than running slower.

It says running burns more calories than walking slow/briskly, but fewer calories than walking really really fast (~12:30 min/mile).

I have not been able to find any actual studies on whether running speed affects calories burned per mile. Lots of "studies show" and vague assertions either way. A couple times I've come across references to studies that...don't show anything either way about running speed's effect on calorie burning.

ETA: If you've got the research either way, I'm super interested to see it. :)

Correct, run speed doesn't seem to affect burn, just as long as you run. There are some extra calories due to natural inefficiencies as you increase speed, as well as wind resistance, but they are minor and often below the threashold of significance.

Also, the fast walking mentioned is speed/race walking because running is mechanically more efficient once you hit a certain speed and when you walk at those speeds you have to burn more to make up for that inefficiency.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    600+ calories for a 12 inch sub sounds pretty low cal to me.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    My kids are now in college but even when the were little these are the ways I would find to cook for them while I was eating to lose:

Spaghetti or Chili...these are easy places to hide lots of veggies. Diced onions, peppers and even carrots super small get hidden in a red sauce very easily. My kids could always detect mushrooms though somehow. I also used lower calorie ground turkey in place of beef and for myself would have my spaghetti sauce either on a piece of low cal toast (similar to a sloppy joe) or just carefully measure out my pasta.

Tacos: Taco meat made with ground turkey and a can of black beans and again with finely diced onions and peppers went unnoticed by my kids. I never told them it was any different and on a tortilla with cheese and lettuce, they were perfectly happy. I would have the taco salad version and be perfectly fine!

Classic meat, potatoes, veggies: make it a lean protein such as chicken, double up on the veggies, and make a starch that doesn't tempt you as much. I would find it easy to just eat the meat and veggies and let the kids and husband have the potatoes or pasta. OR if I felt I had to have it, just have a tiny portion.

I also strongly encourage you to have your kids have one bite of whatever veggies you are eating...over the years, my kids have discovered several that they like and now they are cooking them on their own. Going to visit them in college this weekend and showing them how to prepare a roasted chicken and roasted root vegetables...a family favorite!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yep, she logged it as a 6". A 12 inch grilled chicken is 640, 120 for cheese and then additional toppings like mayo...oh yes, looking at about 900+ calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    my stats are I want to lose 90 pounds,
    I weigh 240 pounds and I want to lose the weight before the end of the year so im hoping I will be able to kick the weight in the butt......

As others have said in this case advising you of some things you are doing wrong is the positive response.

1100 calories burned doing housework, no. Don't log the house cleaning use whatever as a cushion for inaccuracies that will happen.

Now the McDonalds when you ordered it gave you the estimate right on the menu why would it surprise you? The sub cheese and dressing of course will add up quickly.

Calorie count doesn't make food healthy or not, just makes you learn how to plan your day to include them, or make different choices.

Do you cook at home? What do you like? I'm making homemade sausage / mushroom pizza today, there won't be any problems with that fitting into my day. Since you are just starting understand it's a learning process, you are logging that's a fantastic start. It can be an eye opener and help you see where you can make some slight changes and see changes. This takes time, don't worry about losing in by the end of the year, focus on learning, being more active, the weight will come off.

It took me 18 months to lose my weight, I'm now down 124 lbs and consistency, honesty, listening to people that have been there even when the truth isn't what you want to hear, and lots of patience.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yep, she logged it as a 6". A 12 inch grilled chicken is 640, 120 for cheese and then additional toppings like mayo...oh yes, looking at about 900+ calories.

It's surprising how much the sub really has, especially if you get several table spoons of a creamy dressing on it. I estimate I normally get 4 to 5 on my sub and if you ask for extra you are just push the calorie count through the roof without even knowing it.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    1100 calories for housework? I didn't even burn that much moving/loading boxes 10+ hours over the summer when I moved into my house.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    1100 calories for housework? I didn't even burn that much moving/loading boxes 10+ hours over the summer when I moved into my house.

I get under 300 for lifting heavy things in the gym for an hour. That's an underestimate for sure but it's going to be more than housework. The database is based on a compendium and the sources are not always very accurate.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cleaning is normal daily activity and included already in your activity level. Regardless, the burn you're claiming is really high and you're only sabotaging yourself. As far as eating out, there is nothing wrong with it, but you will never get as much bang for your buck, (higher calories and sodium). Additionally, drinking your calories is taking away from you getting real food, thus keeping you sated longer.
    ^^this OP.

Yes housework is part of your TDEE. Stop trying to cheat or invent exercise and maybe you'll see some results.

Out.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Your calorie burn for housework may cause you a problem. You are over estimating your burn, I think. Subway is not low calorie but that is what they would like to believe.

This, I doubt you burned even half that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    gotolam wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

Read this...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

TL;DR: Run faster, burn more calories.

Interesting article! Just like the author of that linked story, I apparently was misled by previous physics professors. Thanks for linking.

That is an excellent article.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm curious....
    1) Does anyone know around how long it takes for a person to start showing results as far as seeing the inches and pounds come off???
    2) Does anyone have any ideas on kid friendly healthy meals?
    I have a 4 year old and 5 year old and they are not to fond of the kind of food I am eating..

Following the calorie limit MFP gives you, you should start losing weight right away. Log as accurately as you can. I find it helpful to pre-log my whole day in advance to see how it all fits and make better choices.

You can eat higher calorie foods like Subway or a frappe but will need to reduce portion sizes on those or those will be the only things you have. If you plan ahead you might find eating out a lot easier. Look at menus of places you typically go to eat in advance and make a list of items that will fit your plan then you might find it easier.

My dd likes things like eggs, minestrone, veggie burgers, pasta, lentil soup, fruit. She doesn't like the food I serve every day. She can eat cereal, fruit, yogurt or make a sandwich at meals where she can't find anything to like. We mostly have meals that are still pretty familliar to dd though and I'm still losing weight. You don't have to completely change what you eat just how much of it you eat.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    640 sounds more like a 6 inch sub. As fast food goes, Subway is pretty healthy, but you do have to watch the calories. Obviously, it is possible to lose weight on Subway, but the "Subway diet" includes walking to Subway and not making it a meal.