Mirena Birth Control

Options
kmneves
kmneves Posts: 6 Member
Has anyone used this in the past or is currently using it now? If so, what was your experience with it?

Replies

• harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have it and am not happy with it at all. However, every one of my friends who has it swears by it, they love theirs. I am just one of those people who it's not working for and giving me problems.

ETA: before anyone wonders why I still have it, it's because my doctor advsed me to give it a year when I expressed my dislike for it a few months ago. It WILL be coming out though at my upcoming appointment.
  • kmneves
    Options
    What kinds of problems have you had with it? I've heard a lot of horror stories....
  • harleydall76
    Options
    I'm sorry, I just didn't wanna get too personal on the boards so as not to gross people out. You can message me if you like, but yes horror stories
  • harleydall76
    Options
    I'm sorry, I just didn't wanna get too personal on the boards so as not to gross people out. You can message me if you like, but yes horror stories
  • harleydall76
    Options
    Sorry about the double post.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd Mirena. I LOVE mine. I've never had any problems after the initial insertion bleeding & cramping. I do not have any periods. I occasionally will spot, but very rarely & nothing big. When I had it removed I was able to get pregnant right away. My first one was in a little over a year, the second one was in over 7 years (yes, over the 5 year limit), the current one has been in a couple of months. I would never use anything else.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it.

Nice not to have a period and it obviously doesn't hurt my weight loss.. and not having to worry about birth control is a huge plus.
  • harleydall76
    Options
    *grumbles at seeming to be the only one who has issues with it*
  • kmneves
    Options
    The weight loss thing is actually my biggest concern. I've seen a lot of stories online about women who gained crazy weight after being on it.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I have it and love it, as well. I should mention, I've never had problems with any birth control that I've used. I must have an agreeable system. : )
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have it and am on my 2 one! It works lol and I have not had any issues with weight gain for the past 8 years using it.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Using it and absolutely love it. I am on my second one, and I will definitely get it again when it is time to remove my current one.
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i am on # 2 and I love mine. Always have. i have had both mirena and paraguard. I prefer mirena
  • neekosmith
    neekosmith Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had it & hated it. Without getting too TMI, it was super effective birth control because there was no way my husband was going anywhere near my fine china. I had it taken out after 8 months.
  • figureformin
    figureformin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Almost ruined me and my marriage, wouldn't recommend, but to each it's own:)
  • Momma2Beauties405
    Momma2Beauties405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have it and love it.

Nice not to have a period and it obviously doesn't hurt my weight loss.. and not having to worry about birth control is a huge plus.

This ... mine will be 5 years in August and I have already made my appointment to get it removed and a new one inserted!
  • harleydall76
    Options
    I had it & hated it. Without getting too TMI, it was super effective birth control because there was no way my husband was going anywhere near my fine china. I had it taken out after 8 months.

I'm sorry you had issues with it, but may I say I'm "glad" I'm not the only one. I was beginning to feel like a real freak. Not on the boards, but in general, with it. LOL
  • loretta5ue
    loretta5ue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd one. My only issue was the string on my 1st one was cut too short so we had issues removing it. I'm not sure if that was the reason why my 1st 2 months with the 2nd one were more painful.

I had no issues with weigh gain on it, and am enjoying not having to purchase hygiene products. Which is my primary reason for being on mirena at this point.

I would NOT recommend this to young women, or those that haven't decided not having children, as there can be complications. (I had to have a procedure to get the 1st one out that could have damaged my reproductive ability.)
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had the hormone free IUD for about 5 weeks before it fell out... that can happen in a small percentage of women..so be aware of that!
  • sjhalida
    sjhalida Posts: 15
    Options
    The weight loss thing is actually my biggest concern. I've seen a lot of stories online about women who gained crazy weight after being on it.

I also have it and love it and I have not experienced any weight gain from it at all :-)