"Rewards" for reaching goal weight

Options
I'm three pounds away from my goal weight and I was wondering how anyone else rewarded themselves for their hard work. Mine will be BBQ ribs and fries and a brownie sundae from a local ice cream place. I will also go shopping for new, smaller jeans and shirts.

Not gonna lie, the food is what's keeping me going at the moment. lol I'm so close and I find myself letting myself slip in small ways, but I want to reach my goal ASAP. I really want that sundae. lol

Replies

• samanthalewis2411
    Options
    Hi Lefty! I've made small rewards for tiny goals. Ex: 10 lbs = manicure
    20 lbs = pedicure
    For milestone moments, I do larger gifts
    50 lbs = 1 hour massage
    GOAL =New wardrobe, makeover, etc!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I'm less than a pound away from my halfway point, at which time I have promised myself a manicure. After that I'm all about a pedicure when I have 15 to go and a massage with 10 to go and then of course a new wardrobe at my final goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So basically you're going to gain back two pounds as soon as you reach your goal weight? I must be missing the irony.

Why don't you fit ribs and fries in your day one day, and the ice cream in your day another day?
  • gaeo189
    gaeo189 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I posted a chart in my room...
    10 = new hair cut
    20 = a piercing I have wanted for months
    30 = a spray tan
    40 = new clothes
    50 = a sushi boat

I couldn't think of something I'd really really enjoy at 50lbs so I went with the boat. But recently I decided a day at the spa complete with a full body massage sounds pretty rewarding for 50lbs. Plus having food as a goal for losing weight felt like two steps forward, one step back... To me anyway.

Good luck!!!!!
  • creasys_bean2011
    creasys_bean2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am 3 pounds away from my first goal of 15 pound. My reward is new makeup.
    At 25 lbs lost my reward will be new clothes. My total goal is 50lbs so I need to add some none food related rewards
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have 3-4lbs to go - my reward for getting there. Staying there. I've lost 45, gained 12, lost 8, gained 20, lost 10 over 3 years. I'd really like to stop this cycle.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    gaeo189 wrote: »
    Plus having food as a goal for losing weight felt like two steps forward, one step back... To me anyway.

Good luck!!!!!

Bingo. Forget the extra calories from a "food reward" what about the behavior implications.
  • seasonoffitness
    Options
    I just started, but since my hopes is to reach my goal by the time summer starts, I have promised myself new running clothes and possibly shoes
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For my first 10% I got a new haircut I was slightly afraid to get before.

I'm coming up on my next 10% and I plan to get a new piercing.

At my goal I may get a tattoo.

I think having non-food rewards is important. There are better things to look forward to. Plus you should be eating foods you like all along the way.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to change my focus from unhealthy food as a reward - since that is how I got to an overweight BMI in the first place. Sure, indulging occasionally is ok - but try to keep it at least somewhere near your goals. I mean, how can sabatoging yourself be a reward? Likewise we are trying to change family celebratory time from high calorie time to healthy food and maybe a movie or some other activity.
    - For me - I like to shop, and so I have stopped all new clothing purchases and then am allowing my self a certain dollar per pound amount that I can spend as I go or save up for a bigger splurge later.
  • ChanaRo
    ChanaRo Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I got a piercing when I lost my first 30 lbs, and I'm going to buy jewelry when I lose another 5 lbs...I'll probably keep buying jewelry every 5 lbs or so. I'm not rewarding myself with food because that kind of thinking is one of the things that got me in this shape to begin with ;-)
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    25 pounds was a having my hair done.
    50 will be my next tattoo
    75 i think we might get married ( i will be able to fit in the dress i bought years ago)
    and 100 main goal. . .not sure. . wont really need clothes i have a ton and am buying on the way as i go as well. I bought 4 pairs of jeans at goodwill the other day for $22 the tags still on 2 of them. . .maybe a weekend trip hiking or something.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My friend bought a bunch of small (<$5) presents (and a few bigger ones!!) to give me for each 10 pounds lost.

I also had some wardrobe changes because after losing 50 pounds I was starting to have a bit of wardrobe drama getting ready for work.

I don't give myself food rewards because I haven't had to say to myself I *can't* have anything. And I've gone beyond the recommended number of calories on occasion.

I might buy an expensive piece of jewelry for myself when I hit my goal, or after 6 months of maintenance.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of food related rewards myself. You don't even get to keep it! ;)

I haven't done rewards along the way - seeing that number go down and getting stronger has been my main reward. Once I lose these last 16 pounds (for 85 pounds, total), I'm getting my first tattoo. Something similar to this, but with a few tweaks.

kbb030iixdut.jpg

It's a Harry Potter reference, for those that aren't nerds like me :)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that food related goals are counter productive. There are ways to work those foods into your regular diet, and you should not be withholding foods you love if you want to stick with this for life.

Pamper yourself or go buy that cute outfit in a new size as a reward for your work...don't make yourself work even harder when your reward night dinner moves you backwards from where you had just landed.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    No rewards for me! The loss of 20 pounds in itself is the reward. And I agree with the previous poster- your reward is going to add a few pounds! I've eaten cake, a burger and fries along the way and still managed to lose. And sushi! It's called life and I think if you deprive yourself that much that you have to binge as a reward, it's just not a good plan!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Unless ribs, fries and a sundae are over 7000 calories, she's not going to undo any of her progress. She might have some water weight, or bloating - but she's not going to add two pounds of fat to her body with one meal. While I agree that food isn't a good reward for multiple reasons, and that we should be eating what we want now within our calorie goals, let's be realistic.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm buying myself a new colour of nail polish for every 5lbs I lose... I'm not sure what I'm going to do at goal weight yet. Like you, I might go out and have a big meal! I try to eat everything in moderation and fit everything into my calories but there's some meals I just can't fit in no matter how hard I try - the ribs alone at spoons are 1200 calories, plus like 400 for chips, 300 for onion rings... then dessert. If I gain any it'll be water weight, so why does it matter? Plus I can probably fit it into maintenance calories. I want a tattoo but I'll be having a splenectomy not long after I reach goal weight so... not a good idea :( I can't have a new haircut because my hair doesn't grow (due to alopecia) and I already plan on getting a cute new corset at goal weight. Maybe a new cosplay or other new clothes.
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I reached my final goal weight this week. I've had to buy clothes along the way for work but giving all my old clothes to a friend who's been losing weight behind me has been really rewarding and helped keep me motivated.

Having my husband look at me like he used to has been wonderful. I look in the mirror and finally like what I see and feel sexy again. So......this week I did something crazy (for me) and got my belly button pierced! I really love it. I didn't reward myself along the way except when I had to buy clothes so I didn't look ridiculous at work.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I understand everyone who's talking about not rewarding yourself with food and I know it's not a healthy habit. For me, it's celebrating my way. Ribs and that sundae were not something I constantly ate before I lost all of this weight to begin with. I won't have the guilt because I now have the tools to eat better and exercise. I won't feel like, "I'm so fat, why am I eating this?" I know I will enjoy it, I've worked hard and eaten healthy dinners and not had sweets (my mom works for a donut shop) when my family has had pizza and fast food. Sugar, chocolate, and simple carbs (potatoes, bread, pasta) are my kryptonite so I've had to really be conscious of limiting them or else I would binge. Now, I will look at labels and decide if the calories or sugar content is worth it. I have more self-control and I pay attention to labels and serving sizes/portions now (had 1.5 tablespoons of syrup with waffles this morning and was satisfied - 70 calories, 12g of sugar, instead of the suggested 1/4 cup - 190 calories, 31g of sugar). One meal is not going to undo everything.

I don't mean to be defensive, I do appreciate the concern and comments; I know you all just want to help. :smile: