help me break free of my food addiction

Options
jesscaur
jesscaur Posts: 13
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm addicted to terrible food. I love fruit and veg, but my intense cravings for things like ramen noodles always takes over and I end up always giving in. :( its awful. I need help.

Replies

• DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Get them out of your house! If they are not there to tempt you it's a lot easier.

Plan ahead - before you go to the supermarket make a list of adequate, healthy foods to last the week. Every night or morning I plan what I'm going to eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks and roughly what time. If I don't do this I'll just stuff my face with bread or end up eating out etc.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    well if you eat a bunch of fruit and veggies w/o any protein you're going to be hungry. If the ramen and noodles are just sitting there in your pantry of course you'll eventually break down and eat them.

Never rely on will power, it will ALWAYS let you down (in terms of dieting anyway).
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Add some protein and healthy fat, which can help curb cravings for carb-y foods (at least for me). If Ramen fits in your macros and you have no medical reason not to eat them, then eat them. If its something you have a hard time controlling yourself around then I would suggest not buying them. Sure, will power is good, but why stress yourself over it? Allow yourself to eat it in moderation or just remove the temptation altogether.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    well if you eat a bunch of fruit and veggies w/o any protein you're going to be hungry. If the ramen and noodles are just sitting there in your pantry of course you'll eventually break down and eat them.

Never rely on will power, it will ALWAYS let you down (in terms of dieting anyway).

giphy.gif
  • ahamm002
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Mine hasn't so far.

LOL, if it doesn't then how did you gain weight in the first place?
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Yes, you probably don't need MFP. You're clearly like ice man with your food intake and will never gain weight again.

Unfortunately mere mortals like myself and the OP occasionally give in to food cravings.
  • PRMinx
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, you probably don't need MFP. You're clearly like ice man with your food intake and will never gain weight again.

Unfortunately mere mortals like myself and the OP occasionally give in to food cravings.

Not everyone is here to lose weight.

You can also give in to food cravings and still lose weight.

Moderation is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it becomes. I've had ice cream in my freezer and cheetos in my pantry for weeks that I haven't touched because I didn't have the calories left over to do it. So, yes, moderation does work. But you have to own it and not look for excuses.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Tell me about it. Like most forums, many are just here to argue.

Moderation is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it becomes. I've had ice cream in my freezer and cheetos in my pantry for weeks that I haven't touched because I didn't have the calories left over to do it. So, yes, moderation does work. But you have to own it and not look for excuses.

That's great that works for you. However, telling the OP that she just needs better willpower is the worst advice I can imagine. I'm almost willing to bet that she's already tried "willpower."

And good work not eating your ice cream for weeks (I personally eat it every day). My guess is that you eat a pretty well balanced diet though. If you were undereating on a diet of mostly rabbit food like the OP seems to suggest she's doing, then you might not find it so easy to resist the junk food you have lying around.
  • ahamm002
    Options

Yes. So do I on occasion. Then I balance it out over the rest of the week.

Willpower can be corrective as well as absolute.

I imagine that would work well for someone who only gained weight because of surgery. But then again so would anything. What works for you won't work for someone who gained weight via their lifestyle.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Tell me about it. Like most forums, many are just here to argue.

That's great that works for you. However, telling the OP that she just needs better willpower is the worst advice I can imagine. I'm almost willing to bet that she's already tried "willpower."

And good work not eating your ice cream for weeks (I personally eat it every day). My guess is that you eat a pretty well balanced diet though. If you were undereating on a diet of mostly rabbit food like the OP seems to suggest she's doing, then you might not find it so easy to resist the junk food you have lying around.

I eat a very well-balanced diet 75% of the time. Takes willpower to do that.

Herrspoons was dead on with this: Willpower can be corrective as well as absolute.

And argue? Meh. Sometimes. But telling people that willpower doesn't work isn't helpful. Willpower does work, but it needs to be exercised. It needs to be conscious. And you need to want it.

And, BTW, it's not just with food. You need willpower to get up and go to the gym. You need willpower to quit smoking (been there, done that). You need willpower for all sorts of things. Best get to working on it, instead of denying that it's a thing.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Yes. So do I on occasion. Then I balance it out over the rest of the week.

Willpower can be corrective as well as absolute.

I imagine that would work well for someone who only gained weight because of surgery. But then again so would anything. What works for you won't work for someone who gained weight via their lifestyle.

Not really.

Let's say you are binge eater and that's how you gained weight.

One day, after doing well, you crush two pizzas, a litter of coke and a pint of ice cream for dinner.

That's enough to make someone quit. Because it's easy to feel helpless when you think you've unraveled all your work.

It takes willpower to wake up the next day and get back on the horse.

• Sugarbeat
    Options

Me too, though I've been doing better lately. It happens. I wish I could be perfect and never give into cravings and get all my exercise and whatever else perfect people do.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    jesscaur wrote: »
    I'm addicted to terrible food. I love fruit and veg, but my intense cravings for things like ramen noodles always takes over and I end up always giving in. :( its awful. I need help.

Do they fit into your daily calorie allowance? As long as your overall intake is balanced (you're getting all your protein and fat and vitamins), and the ramen noodles don't put you over your daily calories there is no reason not to enjoy them. To many calories make you gain weight, not a particular food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    If its something you have a hard time controlling yourself around then I would suggest not buying them. Sure, will power is good, but why stress yourself over it? Allow yourself to eat it in moderation or just remove the temptation altogether.

Good advice, but people always seem to assume the temptation is at home or that the OP buys whatever it is. That's often not the case.

What has worked better for me than trying to cut out foods (although I did that briefly to help teach myself I didn't need to be eating so much of certain things) was to cut out snacking. I find that I eat well at scheduled meals or a planned post-workout snack or the like. It's when I let myself nibble between meals that I end up overeating and eating stuff I would rather not (because it's neither worth it nor consistent with my overall dietary goals).

Also, if you include a food you like as part of an overall meal (like ramen), you can pre log it and make sure you are including enough other stuff that it's not inconsistent with your goals for the day. Like if I wanted ramen I'd just maybe not have pasta for dinner that day and I'd make sure to have some protein and veggies with the ramen, which might also help you eat it in smaller quantities.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Me too, though I've been doing better lately. It happens. I wish I could be perfect and never give into cravings and get all my exercise and whatever else perfect people do.

I don't think anyone here has claimed to be perfect.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you were undereating on a diet of mostly rabbit food like the OP seems to suggest she's doing, then you might not find it so easy to resist the junk food you have lying around.

Doesn't this suggest that one part of the answer might be to be less restrictive and try to think in terms of creating a balanced nutritious diet that is also satiating?

I think it's much harder to "fix" a diet by deciding that you have to get rid of that "bad stuff," defined quite broadly. It was far easier for me to think in terms of dietary goals like including protein and fat and veggies at all meals, eating more legumes and fish (or whole grains or whatever does it for you), cooking my meals more often than not, etc. The effect was in part the same--some of the more calorific things I used to eat (Indian take out) just don't fit as often--but the focus isn't on convincing myself not to want them, but on positive things I can do to create a nutritious, well-balanced diet (where I can sometimes include dinner at an Indian place, complete with naan, if I really want).
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OP, its all about choices. No one can tell you whats good and whats bad until you accept the fact that in order to change you have to first want it. If you know what your doing is not right to accertain your goals then why are you doing it?
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    and please don't say your addicted, thats just playing the blame game.
  • annetteh145
    annetteh145 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    jesscaur wrote: »

I, too usually plan out my entire day ahead (evening before or morning) so I don't end up grabbing whatever I feel like. My rational mind stops working when I need food. I'm one of those people that get aggitated when hungry.

Also, I try to keep enough calories for dinner and evening hours since that is when I usually crave things like cookies or salty snacks. Another reason for you craving such foods could be that you aren't having enough fiber that keeps you full longer. And a lack of protein will obviously also leave you hungry. I just started to not only keep an eye on proteins but also fibers and meeting them isn't always easy.

However, sometimes I can even fit some junk food (high fat, high carb) into my plan, but since I can't just eat 2 cookies or just one serving of chips I try to avoid them all together.

Also, if you love ramen noodles so much maybe you could substitute that with shirataki noodles and broth. They are almost calorie free/nutrition free and basically just fill your stomach short-term. I've heard the soluble fiber they contain is healthy but I'm not certain if these studies are reliable. It can be that these noodles don't do anything for you except fill you up for the moment, giving you the impression you ate a big bowl of pasta. If anyone has better info on that topic I would be interested to hear.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

I don't think anyone here has claimed to be perfect.

No but some folks seem to have all the right answers. All. The. Time. Its kind of annoying, really.