help me break free of my food addiction

Options

Replies

• srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Having willpower is more about being consistent than being perfect, anyway. It's not really about "giving in" as much as it is about finding ways to have what you want and still keep within your goals. Both are quite possible, and doing that will keep you successful over the long run much better than deprivation will, anyway.
    I don't always agree with you, but when I do, it's because you're right...

ahamm002 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Yes, you probably don't need MFP. You're clearly like ice man with your food intake and will never gain weight again.

Unfortunately mere mortals like myself and the OP occasionally give in to food cravings.

Yes. So do I on occasion. Then I balance it out over the rest of the week.

Willpower can be corrective as well as absolute.

I imagine that would work well for someone who only gained weight because of surgery. But then again so would anything. What works for you won't work for someone who gained weight via their lifestyle.

Not really.

Let's say you are binge eater and that's how you gained weight.

One day, after doing well, you crush two pizzas, a litter of coke and a pint of ice cream for dinner.

That's enough to make someone quit. Because it's easy to feel helpless when you think you've unraveled all your work.

It takes willpower to wake up the next day and get back on the horse.

Well it shouldn't take that much willpower to stay on the horse. Willpower only works when you're motivated. Anyone could probably lose weight in the short term eating by twinkies and donuts while counting calories. But eventually their motivation would wane and the binges would start.

Whereas if you just get used to eating a well balanced healthy diet, and don't keep a lot of junk food lying around then you hardly need willpower. Therefore it's easy not to fall off the wagon in the first place. And if you do it's no big deal, it's also easy to simply resume your usual healthy lifestyle.

Of course if you want to be like Ben Stiller in Dodgeball and continually taunt yourself with junk food then go for it. Do whatever works for you. Just realize that things that require constant willpower don't work well for many of us.

And seriously, HOW DOES SUGGESTING EATING FOODS IN MODERATION ALWAYS END UP "EAT ALL THE TWINKIES"?!?!?!

Dude, I seriously don't know. It's like the argument about eating a full-lard diet instead of broccoli and carrots. Just... what?! When did anybody ever... oh never mind.

giphy.gif
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    This is where we disagree.

I think it takes a world of willpower to stay on the horse consistently - no matter what is in your house. It's not that hard to call for a pizza, or stop for takeout or hit up the bar with your friends. Getting up to go to the gym every day requires a level of motivation that is hard to achieve and maintain over time, even if you love it.

And this is why it's not an us v. them argument. It ALL takes self control and discipline, no matter where you are coming from.

I disagree strongly with that. Once habits are established, they shouldn't take much willpower to maintain. It definitely doesn't take me much willpower to maintain my current habits. If it did, I wouldn't be able to maintain them for very long. And that's why it's important for people like me build habits and a routine that's easy to stick with.

And why the heck would I want to order pizza when my fridge/pantry is loaded with plenty of healthy and tasty foods? Sure, I could still over eat healthy foods too. But it's much less tempting than if I had a bunch of chips sitting out. Why would I want to stop for take out? That takes extra effort! But if for some reason I did, then I'd stop at my local deli and get the exact same turkey wrap that I always get. They know me there. Doesn't take me much effort to get something healthy when I've already called ahead to order it before I arrive. Of course, if you insist on sucking at life you could walk in and then spend 5 minutes agonizing over what to get. Maybe your willpower would hold up, or maybe you'll eventually breakdown and get a huge meatball sub.

Well, I think that about settles that. Nice.

Wow. I guess everyone sucks at life except that guy.

Totally. I'm so happy he is here to shed some light on our life choices.

Well what I should have said is "if you want to make your diet difficult to maintain" but you've been so condescending I figured I'd return the favor.

I haven't been condescending in the slightest.

And I most certainly haven't ever told anyone they suck at life for enjoying a meal out.

All I said was that food is not proven to be scientifically addictive in the way that some drugs are. It's a willpower problem (that we all have to conquer in our own way).

I said that willpower is a muscle worth exercising. The goal for everyone should be that someday they can be around all sorts of food without feeling anxious about it - or like they are cheating or failing if they have a treat.

I think it takes willpower to be able to have something you love, like Ramen, and be able to fit it into your macros for the day either by portion size or because you planned around it.

I said willpower is as important when you fall off the wagon (to get back on it) as it is to never fall off. I said that it takes willpower to do all sorts of things, including getting to the gym.

This is not being condescending. This is understanding that treats can be a healthy part of an overall diet and that, if you have a bad day, you can get right back on track the next day.

This is being realistic. No one should have to live in a bubble to "protect" themselves from temptation. If that's what you want to do because you have to, then so be it. But I, personally, don't think that's the only way to achieve success.

I believe you can go out and eat a meatball sub.

I believe you can decide whether or not the meatball sub will fit into your macros that day and, if it does, you have met your goal. If it doesn't, then make it up another day if it's something you want.

Either way, I believe that you can enjoy a meatball sub without guilt.

I especially believe that making a choice to have a meatball sub on occasion does not mean you "suck at life."

If you take offense to this, then it says more about you than it does about me.

+1 perfect post :smiley:
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would also like to give Paige a +1 but she isn't flexing in front a mirror so she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Awwww, shucks. Thanks all.

Panda hugs for everyone.

tumblr_lv9fyjuSNe1qd90gm.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Having willpower is more about being consistent than being perfect, anyway. It's not really about "giving in" as much as it is about finding ways to have what you want and still keep within your goals. Both are quite possible, and doing that will keep you successful over the long run much better than deprivation will, anyway.

OMG THIS POST.... NEEDS TO BE QUOTED AT LEAST AS MILLION MORE TIMES!!!!!!

It's not about WINNING at willpower- or failing. It's about doing it day in and day out- some days it's a win- some days it's not- but the difference is- I never say "today I lost"... today was just a day I didn't met my goals. so what- tomorrow I will.
    And why the heck would I want to order pizza when my fridge/pantry is loaded with plenty of healthy and tasty foods

because pizza is delicious and there is nothing unhealthy about it. what's wrong with you? Are you broken?
  • jesscaur
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    jesscaur wrote: »
    I'm addicted to terrible food. I love fruit and veg, but my intense cravings for things like ramen noodles always takes over and I end up always giving in. :( its awful. I need help.

Do they fit into your daily calorie allowance? As long as your overall intake is balanced (you're getting all your protein and fat and vitamins), and the ramen noodles don't put you over your daily calories there is no reason not to enjoy them. To many calories make you gain weight, not a particular food.

Its not so much that they put me over my daily calories, if they did that wouldn't really be a problem anyway because I only weigh 90 pounds. I just want to get away from all the processed foods and have a more clean diet, I don't like eating so many chemicals
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I think it takes a world of willpower to stay on the horse consistently - no matter what is in your house. It's not that hard to call for a pizza, or stop for takeout or hit up the bar with your friends. Getting up to go to the gym every day requires a level of motivation that is hard to achieve and maintain over time, even if you love it.

And this is why it's not an us v. them argument. It ALL takes self control and discipline, no matter where you are coming from.

I disagree strongly with that. Once habits are established, they shouldn't take much willpower to maintain. It definitely doesn't take me much willpower to maintain my current habits. If it did, I wouldn't be able to maintain them for very long. And that's why it's important for people like me build habits and a routine that's easy to stick with.

And why the heck would I want to order pizza when my fridge/pantry is loaded with plenty of healthy and tasty foods? Sure, I could still over eat healthy foods too. But it's much less tempting than if I had a bunch of chips sitting out. Why would I want to stop for take out? That takes extra effort! But if for some reason I did, then I'd stop at my local deli and get the exact same turkey wrap that I always get. They know me there. Doesn't take me much effort to get something healthy when I've already called ahead to order it before I arrive. Of course, if you insist on sucking at life you could walk in and then spend 5 minutes agonizing over what to get. Maybe your willpower would hold up, or maybe you'll eventually breakdown and get a huge meatball sub.

Well what I should have said is "if you want to make your diet difficult to maintain" but you've been so condescending I figured I'd return the favor.

And I most certainly haven't ever told anyone they suck at life for enjoying a meal out.

All I said was that food is not proven to be scientifically addictive in the way that some drugs are. It's a willpower problem (that we all have to conquer in our own way).

I said that willpower is a muscle worth exercising. The goal for everyone should be that someday they can be around all sorts of food without feeling anxious about it - or like they are cheating or failing if they have a treat.

I think it takes willpower to be able to have something you love, like Ramen, and be able to fit it into your macros for the day either by portion size or because you planned around it.

I said willpower is as important when you fall off the wagon (to get back on it) as it is to never fall off. I said that it takes willpower to do all sorts of things, including getting to the gym.

This is not being condescending. This is understanding that treats can be a healthy part of an overall diet and that, if you have a bad day, you can get right back on track the next day.

This is being realistic. No one should have to live in a bubble to "protect" themselves from temptation. If that's what you want to do because you have to, then so be it. But I, personally, don't think that's the only way to achieve success.

I believe you can decide whether or not the meatball sub will fit into your macros that day and, if it does, you have met your goal. If it doesn't, then make it up another day if it's something you want.

I especially believe that making a choice to have a meatball sub on occasion does not mean you "suck at life."

I'm also adding to the giant stack of PLUS ONE on this.

I second the "you can enjoy _________ without guilt" (insert your food of choice).
  • PRMinx
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I'm also adding to the giant stack of PLUS ONE on this.

I second the "you can enjoy _________ without guilt" (insert your food of choice).

Hells yes! Because life without pizza, peanut butter, wine and ice cream is not a life worth living.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to terrible food. I love fruit and veg, but my intense cravings for things like ramen noodles always takes over and I end up always giving in. :( its awful. I need help.

Do they fit into your daily calorie allowance? As long as your overall intake is balanced (you're getting all your protein and fat and vitamins), and the ramen noodles don't put you over your daily calories there is no reason not to enjoy them. To many calories make you gain weight, not a particular food.

Its not so much that they put me over my daily calories, if they did that wouldn't really be a problem anyway because I only weigh 90 pounds. I just want to get away from all the processed foods and have a more clean diet, I don't like eating so many chemicals

Wait a minute...WHAT?

You weigh 90 lbs and you think you're addicted to food?

I think you need more help than this board can provide. Please seek out a local professional dealing with eating disorders. I mean that sincerely - no snark.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    @PRMinx fantastic post!

Thanks to this thread I think a meatball sub will be good for dinner
  • jesscaur
    Options
    and please don't say your addicted, thats just playing the blame game.

The chemicals and drugs that they put in our foods are both poisionus and addicting. Google it.
  • jesscaur
    Options

The chemicals and drugs that they put in our foods are both poisionus and addicting. Google it.
    * poisonous
  • PRMinx
    edited February 2015
    Options

The chemicals and drugs that they put in our foods are both poisonous and addicting. Google it.

This is not true. There is no scientific evidence whatsoever to show that Ramen is poisonous or addicting. Just because it shows up on Google, doesn't mean it's true. There are far greater scientific minds on here than mine, so I will leave this debate to those who can explain it better.

ETA: On the addiction front, you aren't addicted. You just like it. A lot. Until you are crawling in a dumpster in search for some Ramen, or robbing your friends for money to buy it because you need your fix to feel right, you are not addicted. You just like it. A lot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

They really aren't, and google can provide lots of hits for everything; doesn't mean it's true.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Stop eating for a while. It'll resolve within 3 weeks or so.

Seriously, just stop eating the food you call "terrible".
  • srslybritt
    edited February 2015
    Options

Your "Google it" suggestion is just way too ironic. Yes, by all means, please Google it. But don't click the first, second, or even the tenth link. A lot of us got where we are by using Google - intelligently. Peer reviewed studies done by reputable, unbiased parties are the way to go. Any other nuggets of wisdom you wish to bestow upon us?

ETA: You made the OP asking for help, let me remind you of that.
  • jesscaur
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Wait a minute...WHAT?

I think you need more help than this board can provide. Please seek out a local professional dealing with eating disorders. I mean that sincerely - no snark.

I do NOT have an eating disorder. I am naturally very small, a genetic I get from my mom. Is it crazy for me to not want to eat junk? I'm not here to lose weight, I'm here to gain muscle. Everyone assumes that just because I'm small and trying to lead a healthy lifestyle that I have some sort of eating disorder. I can assure you, that's not the case.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Wait a minute...WHAT?

I do NOT have an eating disorder. I am naturally very small, a genetic I get from my mom. Is it crazy for me to not want to eat junk? I'm not here to lose weight, I'm here to gain muscle. Everyone assumes that just because I'm small and trying to lead a healthy lifestyle that I have some sort of eating disorder. I can assure you, that's not the case.
    If you want to gain muscle, eat in a calorie surplus and do a progressive resistance program. Most people trying to gain like to eat what you call "junk" because it is difficult to eat the large volumes of food required to hit a calorie surplus with nutrient dense foods. (Difficult, not impossible.)
  • PRMinx
    Options

Wait a minute...WHAT?

If you want to gain muscle, eat in a calorie surplus and do a progressive resistance program. Most people trying to gain like to eat what you call "junk" because it is difficult to eat the large volumes of food required to hit a calorie surplus with nutrient dense foods. (Difficult, not impossible.)

^This

It's why peanut butter and avocados exists. Mmmmm. Peanut butter.
  • srslybritt
    Options

Wait a minute...WHAT?

+1