Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Yes, you probably don't need MFP. You're clearly like ice man with your food intake and will never gain weight again.

Unfortunately mere mortals like myself and the OP occasionally give in to food cravings.

Me too, though I've been doing better lately. It happens. I wish I could be perfect and never give into cravings and get all my exercise and whatever else perfect people do.

I don't think anyone here has claimed to be perfect.

No but some folks seem to have all the right answers. All. The. Time. Its kind of annoying, really.

Some people have been doing it longer. Some people have had success.

Would you rather that the people who give advice on here not have experience?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    well if you eat a bunch of fruit and veggies w/o any protein you're going to be hungry. If the ramen and noodles are just sitting there in your pantry of course you'll eventually break down and eat them.

Never rely on will power, it will ALWAYS let you down (in terms of dieting anyway).

Mine hasn't so far.

LOL, if it doesn't then how did you gain weight in the first place?

By being bedridden after surgery for three months and eating more than I should have.

Any other pearls of wisdom to share?

So how did that happen? From your willpower NOT breaking?

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    and please don't say your addicted, thats just playing the blame game.

I have to agree with this. It's an unhealthy mindset to skirt the real issue of not being able to control oneself. I also feel it's a real spit in the face to people who have to battle actual addictions to drugs and harmful substances.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, you probably don't need MFP. You're clearly like ice man with your food intake and will never gain weight again.

Unfortunately mere mortals like myself and the OP occasionally give in to food cravings.

Me too, though I've been doing better lately. It happens. I wish I could be perfect and never give into cravings and get all my exercise and whatever else perfect people do.

No but some folks seem to have all the right answers. All. The. Time. Its kind of annoying, really.

I don't have a problem with people who have been there done that and had success. Its the ones who post ALL the right answers ALL the time and never seem to be able to listen to what others have to say that bug me. You're right, no one is perfect and I'd rather hear from someone who admits to having moments where they slip up but they still keep going. I try to take tips and tricks from everyone even if its just "I would never do that" but certain posters I just glaze right over. They may be right but they way the present it doesn't interest me. Sorry if that upsets anyone.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I don't have a problem with people who have been there done that and had success. Its the ones who post ALL the right answers ALL the time and never seem to be able to listen to what others have to say that bug me. You're right, no one is perfect and I'd rather hear from someone who admits to having moments where they slip up but they still keep going. I try to take tips and tricks from everyone even if its just "I would never do that" but certain posters I just glaze right over. They may be right but they way the present it doesn't interest me. Sorry if that upsets anyone.

I think you are trying to find offense where there is none.

I think the conversation is about willpower and what it really means.

And I thought it was very astute to say that willpower can be corrective. We all make mistakes - it's getting up and getting it right the next day that determines success.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Add meat and vegetables to your ramen. Makes it taste better and gives you "whole" ingredients. You don't have to cut anything out as long as you can maintain eating it in moderation.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

So you mean to say, some people answer the same questions with the same answers all the time? That sounds more like consistency to me, friend.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    Add meat and vegetables to your ramen. Makes it taste better and gives you "whole" ingredients. You don't have to cut anything out as long as you can maintain eating it in moderation.

Great idea. also, once you have made the ramen, dish up your serving and put the rest in a container and put it in the refrigerator right away. Then you only eat your serving and not the whole pot.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You don't need help, you need control. Control is a lot easier when you remove temptation as much as possible. You don't walk into a doughnut shop expecting to get something that isn't loaded with sugar. So you shouldn't expect that you will be able to say no to the ramen when it's right there in the cabinet calling your name.

Take control by planning out, in advance, what you are going to eat during the week. Cusion the blow by allowing yourself a few allowances. Instead of buying the flat of ramen with 48 packs, and only buy 2. Decide what day you want to eat them and then only eat them on that day. The worst you can do is eat both at once, but that isn't going to hurt you unless it's coupled with a number of other bad decisions.

Also have a specific goal that you want to achieve and then have a reward system in place (that isn't food). I have a trip planned in April that I will get to go on if I've met my goals during February and March (January's goal was already met). Each month I have a certain amount of money I earn for meeting my goals, so the better I meet my monthly goals, the more cash I'll have for the trip.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Having willpower is more about being consistent than being perfect, anyway. It's not really about "giving in" as much as it is about finding ways to have what you want and still keep within your goals. Both are quite possible, and doing that will keep you successful over the long run much better than deprivation will, anyway.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    OP is not addicted. OP lacks discipline.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

And I thought it was very astute to say that willpower can be corrective. We all make mistakes - it's getting up and getting it right the next day that determines success.

I didn't say offended, I said annoyed. Offended means I'm angry and defensive. Annoyed (and its a slight annoyance, trust me) means I mostly ignore them and keep scrolling. I think willpower is a great thing to have. I also think it can be used as a way to not do something (I have no willpower) or a way to beat one's self up over a mistake. People have different triggers, I don't see the harm in identifying those and finding ways to deal with them. Even if it means removing the food. Seriously, why is removing the food bad? I can understand some foods, but its ramen. You have to buy those at the store, you can't eat them in restaurants (at least around here). Just don't buy them if they're that big of a problem, at least until you've gotten used to eating healthier items. Why stress one's self unnecessarily? I'm not talking to you, PRMinx, but the OP. This poster is stating she has a problem, I gave her a few options. Willpower is great, but if she doesn't currently have any then maybe she can use a few other ideas until she builds hers.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

And yet here you are.

Sorry, what part are you referring to?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    well if you eat a bunch of fruit and veggies w/o any protein you're going to be hungry. If the ramen and noodles are just sitting there in your pantry of course you'll eventually break down and eat them.

Never rely on will power, it will ALWAYS let you down (in terms of dieting anyway).

Mine hasn't so far.

LOL, if it doesn't then how did you gain weight in the first place?

By being bedridden after surgery for three months and eating more than I should have.

Any other pearls of wisdom to share?

So how did that happen? From your willpower NOT breaking?

I knew what I was doing and decided I would rather be a bit fat and slightly less miserable than I was than stay thin and be totally unhappy. I also knew I had the willpower to take the weight off once I was well enough to do so.

14 pounds down, 14 to go.

Don't confuse compromise and willpower. They aren't the same thing.

They indeed are not the same thing. The way you worded your original statement sounded like you had them confused. Glad that's cleared up. I had to reach a personal compromise last summer myself: stay the way I look in my profile pic/be miserable, or gain 5ish pounds/allow indulgences and feel more normal.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I didn't say offended, I said annoyed. Offended means I'm angry and defensive. Annoyed (and its a slight annoyance, trust me) means I mostly ignore them and keep scrolling. I think willpower is a great thing to have. I also think it can be used as a way to not do something (I have no willpower) or a way to beat one's self up over a mistake. People have different triggers, I don't see the harm in identifying those and finding ways to deal with them. Even if it means removing the food. Seriously, why is removing the food bad? I can understand some foods, but its ramen. You have to buy those at the store, you can't eat them in restaurants (at least around here). Just don't buy them if they're that big of a problem, at least until you've gotten used to eating healthier items. Why stress one's self unnecessarily? I'm not talking to you, PRMinx, but the OP. This poster is stating she has a problem, I gave her a few options. Willpower is great, but if she doesn't currently have any then maybe she can use a few other ideas until she builds hers.

Deprivation results in failure, which is why removing all the foods OP is concerned about is going to be a problem, in the long run. OP will be much more successful if she learns to allow herself to eat what she does want to eat, but in manageable portions that fit into her calorie goals, along with the other foods she is eating. She mentions ramen only as one of the foods that she craves. Deprivation is a huge source of stress, so removing the crave foods will be larger source of stress.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Deprivation results in failure, which is why removing all the foods OP is concerned about is going to be a problem, in the long run. OP will be much more successful if she learns to allow herself to eat what she does want to eat, but in manageable portions that fit into her calorie goals, along with the other foods she is eating. She mentions ramen only as one of the foods that she craves. Deprivation is a huge source of stress, so removing the crave foods will be larger source of stress.

You're right, it could be a stressor to not have the food around at all. To each their own, I guess. I find it stressful to have foods around I can't eat, unless I have a replacement handy. OP may have to experiment and see for herself.
  • PRMinx
    Options

^This.

Plus, I'm not the one who fired shots at people, you were. No one here claimed to be perfect, you just prefer to see it that way.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Yes. So do I on occasion. Then I balance it out over the rest of the week.

Willpower can be corrective as well as absolute.

I imagine that would work well for someone who only gained weight because of surgery. But then again so would anything. What works for you won't work for someone who gained weight via their lifestyle.

Not really.

Let's say you are binge eater and that's how you gained weight.

One day, after doing well, you crush two pizzas, a litter of coke and a pint of ice cream for dinner.

That's enough to make someone quit. Because it's easy to feel helpless when you think you've unraveled all your work.

It takes willpower to wake up the next day and get back on the horse.

Well it shouldn't take that much willpower to stay on the horse. Willpower only works when you're motivated. Anyone could probably lose weight in the short term eating by twinkies and donuts while counting calories. But eventually their motivation would wane and the binges would start.

Whereas if you just get used to eating a well balanced healthy diet, and don't keep a lot of junk food lying around then you hardly need willpower. Therefore it's easy not to fall off the wagon in the first place. And if you do it's no big deal, it's also easy to simply resume your usual healthy lifestyle.

Of course if you want to be like Ben Stiller in Dodgeball and continually taunt yourself with junk food then go for it. Do whatever works for you. Just realize that things that require constant willpower don't work well for many of us.
  • PRMinx
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yes. So do I on occasion. Then I balance it out over the rest of the week.

Willpower can be corrective as well as absolute.

I imagine that would work well for someone who only gained weight because of surgery. But then again so would anything. What works for you won't work for someone who gained weight via their lifestyle.

Not really.

Let's say you are binge eater and that's how you gained weight.

One day, after doing well, you crush two pizzas, a litter of coke and a pint of ice cream for dinner.

That's enough to make someone quit. Because it's easy to feel helpless when you think you've unraveled all your work.

It takes willpower to wake up the next day and get back on the horse.

Well it shouldn't take that much willpower to stay on the horse. Willpower only works when you're motivated. Anyone could probably lose weight in the short term eating by twinkies and donuts while counting calories. But eventually their motivation would wane and the binges would start.

Whereas if you just get used to eating a well balanced healthy diet, and don't keep a lot of junk food lying around then you hardly need willpower. Therefore it's easy not to fall off the wagon in the first place. And if you do it's no big deal, it's also easy to simply resume your usual healthy lifestyle.

Of course if you want to be like Ben Stiller in Dodgeball and continually taunt yourself with junk food then go for it. Do whatever works for you. Just realize that things that require constant willpower don't work well for many of us.

This is where we disagree.

I think it takes a world of willpower to stay on the horse consistently - no matter what is in your house. It's not that hard to call for a pizza, or stop for takeout or hit up the bar with your friends. Getting up to go to the gym every day requires a level of motivation that is hard to achieve and maintain over time, even if you love it.

And this is why it's not an us v. them argument. It ALL takes self control and discipline, no matter where you are coming from.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

^This.

Plus, I'm not the one who fired shots at people, you were. No one here claimed to be perfect, you just prefer to see it that way.

I didn't fire it at YOU so why so defensive about it? I didn't say anyone said they were perfect, I said certain posters have a way of insinuating that they are perfect by having all the right answers, all the time, and taking their own shots at someone who has any kind of issue different from theirs. So what?