Fine line between counting/logging and obsessing?

Options

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I agree with needing to be obsessed. I lost 45 pounds by meticulously logging EVERY.SINGLE.THING. that went into my mouth. I fell off the wagon after 5 months and haven't gotten back into the obsessive logging phase and it shows...I haven't lost a single half a pound. It's gotta be done. I'm sure some people can get by on estimates but I know I sure can't.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    I agree with needing to be obsessed. I lost 45 pounds by meticulously logging EVERY.SINGLE.THING. that went into my mouth. I fell off the wagon after 5 months and haven't gotten back into the obsessive logging phase and it shows...I haven't lost a single half a pound. It's gotta be done. I'm sure some people can get by on estimates but I know I sure can't.

Tracking accurately =/= obsession.
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's certainly ok to be dedicated to counting calories/macros and eating a healthy diet -- but, if it becomes so obsessive that it takes over most of your life, time, thoughts and effort, it's not worth it. Just be sure to leave room for life :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's certainly ok to be dedicated to counting calories/macros and eating a healthy diet -- but, if it becomes so obsessive that it takes over most of your life, time, thoughts and effort, it's not worth it. Just be sure to leave room for life :)

^^this.

I think people are not using the word correctly.

I quoted the definition earlier:

Obsessed:
    "preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent."
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Robin1109 wrote: »
    I saw this on Buzzfeed the other day and it made me laugh! Any MFP'er will totally understand!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesevilla/hold-on-i-just-need-to-log-this#.pvWBz2Red

Heh yep, I can relate to 99% of this...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

^^this.

Obsessed:
    "preoccupy or fill the mind of (someone) continually, intrusively, and to a troubling extent."

^^this is probably true, but for me, this obsession is better than my pre-MFP obsession with eating too much food and being morbidly obese.

I much prefer being a normal weight, and obsessing about logging and staying at or under my calorie count each day. It is just the way it has to be for me.
  • christinehuds
    christinehuds Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

^^this.

Obsessed:

^^this is probably true, but for me, this obsession is better than my pre-MFP obsession with eating too much food and being morbidly obese.

I much prefer being a normal weight, and obsessing about logging and staying at or under my calorie count each day. It is just the way it has to be for me.

Yes, to clarify what I meant:

I had awful eating habits for my entire life and I discovered healthy eating habits through Weight Watchers, research and lots of hard work. It worked wonderfully and I lost about 60 pounds in 6 months. At that point though, I had become so obsessed that I could think about every moment of every day was losing weight and consuming the right number of calories. It was miserable. I lost touch with friends and family and damaged relationships.

Being dedicated to health is a WONDERFUL habit. Much better than being dedicated to eating fast food everyday. Just be careful, that's all! Don't let it control your life and existence. It's a dark place to be.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »

All I can say is: Damn girl, if I looked like you I would be obsessed with staying that way ;)
  • waxflower
    Options
    I would say the only time it is truly obsessive is if it starts to be a constant, nagging (negative) presence. The first time around I definitely went overboard. It caused stress and made me very anxious when I was not able to log. This time, I have a much healthier mindset and don't feel stressed or upset if I screw up.

Bottom line, if it is causing YOU discomfort, then you need to find a way to take a step back and improve your well-being. If you are absolutely fine and it seems that only other people have a problem - brush them off and do what works for you! Good luck.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Is it really any different than looking at a price tag before buying something?

I really like this.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I'd say logging/counting calories is like looking at the price tag before buying something, while being obsessed is being miserly and refusing to spend a dime until you've checked every price from every competitor in a 250 mile radius.

I would call it an obsession if it's negatively affecting those around you. If you're saying stuff like, "No, I can't go out to eat tonight because I've allotted 600 calories for dinner and the place you want to go doesn't offer meals for less than 650 calories, and I can't go over my calories."
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I would call it an obsession if it's negatively affecting those around you. If you're saying stuff like, "No, I can't go out to eat tonight because I've allotted 600 calories for dinner and the place you want to go doesn't offer meals for less than 650 calories, and I can't go over my calories."

I don't even think that is really obsessive. Since when is making more healthful choices obsessive? For example, if your friends wanted to go to Olive Garden (a dieter's nightmare,) and you suggest a more healthful establishment, or one with better options such as a steak house instead, how is that obsessive at all? It's being responsible / health conscientious imo.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's funny.....society doesn't call a chef 'obsessive ' when they weigh out the ingredients for a dish. We are weighing out the ingredients to build an amazing, complex human being.
    Even horses, cattle and pets get their food monitored and weighed without being accused of being weird!
    It makes me wonder just how brain washed we are from the food companies.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If I cut out "unhealthy" food and eat whole grains, lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables, then I fill up before I eat excessive calories. But I like a treat fairly often, and to fit treats in my diet without overdoing it, I need to log.

I'm sure it could be argued that eating healthier would be the better way.

But I don't want to live that way.

I do eat healthy most of the time, but what would life be without dessert and wine?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Obsessing means you think about it all the time and it intrudes on your other activities. I think of it as persistent. I consistently log everything that goes into my mouth. I will log when I'm out, but only if (1) it's 'just' my husband with me or (2) there's a lull in the conversation and I log under the table and it doesn't take me away from my social duties with friends. Otherwise I just remember.

People say you're obsessing about food if you think about what you're putting in your mouth. People tell me I don't have to because I'm 'so thin'. Well, that's why I am. Because I think about it.

To Sidesteel: I am pretty sure I could maintain without logging. But I like to log. It's like brushing my teeth. I don't think about it, I just do it.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    This is the whole reason I took up ADF. I would obsess over the calories. If anything was over 50cal I would not eat it. It was developing into an ED.

Now I simply don't eat 3 days a week, and then eat whatever I want the other 4..... and I do eat what I want. Without putting on weight.

I also get a better workout on the non-eating days. 0cals 3 days a week then gives me about 3000+ cals extra I can eat the following day.

Win/Win
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...

Are you serious? I'm more than dedicated. And even I became obsessed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I think you have to be obsessed to a certain extent. It becomes a part of who you are. Like second nature.

Not true. Not for everyone anyway.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    It's possible that some mistake being selfish for being obsessive. To make a concerted effort to change your lifestyle probably requires a certain amount of selfishness, even if you are doing it for the best of reasons (e.g. to be around to watch your grandkids grow up etc.), because you are having to think about yourself to a degree that those around us might not find socially acceptable.

I think society wants maintaining weight loss to be effortless, and part of that is the ability to eat without a degree of mindfulness/consciousness, so absolutely no pulling out your phone to log what you've just eaten. I know friends/colleagues want me, as a successful loser, to demonstrate that it's easy to maintain my loss, and if I logged in front of them, they would call me "obsessive". They don't see the hard work I've put in because I'm not chosen to share that with them. Because I'm selfish.