Fine line between counting/logging and obsessing?

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like to track my food, not obsessively, for instance we were at Disney World it was packed out, they have free internet but it's not that great and when a lot people are on it, it takes forever to get to the link, so I just said screw it and just enjoyed my day, now I do that when special occassions, birthdays, wedding, holidays and anniversaries, etc, I still lost 121 pounds doing that.

ETA: Just to add to my comment, we, hubby and I, are planning a cruise in May, I don't plan on logging, for one thing no internet, well take that back, there is but it cost an arm, leg and several toes, I rather use the money for something else.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I dont know, it is similar to "obsessively" not eating carbs, or gluten, or dairy or whatever other techniques people use to lose weight. Exercising, taking diet pills or shakes...the list can go on.

I think people are ignorant when they DONT count calories, or at least take a look at the nutrition label before they eat. What is so wrong about being educated, and using that education to keep yourself healthy?

and those who have never count calorie/read labels/had weight issue/have perfect health i suppose are especial snow flake to you.. you'll be surprise how many of those are out there.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I would ask yourself how the logging behavior affects the quality of your life. If you find that it's creating problems then I would seek other methods that allow you to either stop logging or reduce the frequency of it.

These are wise words. I'm at maintenance and still logging food. It takes at most 5-7 minutes a day, most of the time: a minute each for breakfast and lunch (I'm pretty consistent in what I eat then), and somewhat longer for dinner. It doesn't bother me, nor does it detract from my quality of living. If it begins to do so, I'll seek alternatives.

(*)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For me, I can tell I've crossed the line from diligent to obsessive if I feel certain emotions. Do I fear going out to eat at a place where I don't know the calories? Do I get anxious if a work emergency gets in the way of my evening workout? Does a less-than-ideal macro balance stress me out? And the overarching question: is my physical appearance more important to me than enjoying all the other aspects of my life? Seriously, what good is it to have the body for a smoking hot dress if I'm too scared to go out to a restaurant I can wear the dress to? What good is it to look killer in lingerie for a sexy evening with my husband if I'm going to spaz when he offers me a glass of wine?

I use this tool when I have goals I'm trying to achieve, and it works very well. But I also know that this tool can become problematic for me, and it's healthy for me to take breaks and practice intuitive eating from time to time. If I gain a few pounds, I gain a few pounds - I know how to lose them. I want a healthier me overall, and health goes beyond the body.

I like this, and feel the same way.
  • Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...
    Love this

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...
    Love this

I don't, and I don't think a lot of other dedicated people do either. There's a very wide line between dedication and obsession.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If logging calories is obsessive, then I'm also obsessive about paying my bills and going to work... they're all just means to an end
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Love this

What about the people who are calling themselves obsessed...are they lazy and dedicated all at the same time?.

n1aqg3.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I dont know, it is similar to "obsessively" not eating carbs, or gluten, or dairy or whatever other techniques people use to lose weight. Exercising, taking diet pills or shakes...the list can go on.

I think people are ignorant when they DONT count calories, or at least take a look at the nutrition label before they eat. What is so wrong about being educated, and using that education to keep yourself healthy?

I don't count calories. I haven't for several months.

Am I ignorant because of this?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What I meant was for individuals who have no clue the calorie values in food. For those who have tracked or made themselves aware of the calorie content in food and what that actually means, I could not say they are uneducated.

But yes, if you do not know the approximate calorie content in most food, or the ability to find that information or know what it means - I would say you are ignorant. Tough stuff if you dont like it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What I meant was for individuals who have no clue the calorie values in food. For those who have tracked or made themselves aware of the calorie content in food and what that actually means, I could not say they are uneducated.

But yes, if you do not know the approximate calorie content in most food, or the ability to find that information or know what it means - I would say you are ignorant. Tough *kitten* if you dont like it!

Why on earth would someone even need to know it if they are not and have never been overweight?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

But yes, if you do not know the approximate calorie content in most food, or the ability to find that information or know what it means - I would say you are ignorant. Tough *kitten* if you dont like it!

What about someone who has lost a substantial amount of weight by reducing carb intake? There are plenty of people who have been successful with this method without knowing or caring about calories.

Are they ignorant?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I get a little obsessive about it sometimes. But when I realize that I'm doing it, I stop logging. You have to know when to step away.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    People fail on these sort of things. Everyone preaches moderation in dieting but not in eating. Those same friends who want you to practice moderation in your counting will probably order drinks an appetizer entree and dessert. Ignore them and keep going. You have to lock yourself onto your path or you will not reach your goal.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

This is ridiculous.

I disagree. Many people who can't commit, who have no discipline, are the first to jump up and accuse someone else of being obsessive. We live in a country of lazy, unrealistic people who have no idea what it takes to change a complex behavior.
  • Verdenal
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think you have to do what you need to do. If weighing everything works, continue. Sometimes you can get by without counting by eliminating obvious high-calorie foods, such as alcohol, starchy carbs, fatty foods, and sugar.
  • Ladyhawk71
    Ladyhawk71 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you want to talk obession, lets talk about me eating a box of chocolates by myself and drinking 5 cups of coffee a day~ If calories are what we need to watch, in order to stay a little healthier, and live a little longer~ than hey~ I'm down with being obsessive! :) Fight on and don't worry about haters; they are usually just jealous of your control over your obessions. B)<3
  • Verdenal
    Options
    Obese Family Member to Me:

You're obsessive.

Me:

I have to be aware of what I'm eating to maintain a normal weight. How many calories do you think are in ____?

Obese Family Member:

[Doesn't know or ridiculously underestimates.]

Me:

What is your BMI?

Obese Family Member:

[Has no idea.]

Me:

OK, what do you weigh?

Obese Family Member:

[Refuses to answer].