Did you lose weight for yourself or somebody else?

Options

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Good question. A little of both I suppose. My first priority is my own health and happiness, but I'm certainly a better wife, mother, friend, etc. now that I got myself right.
  • jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I definitely did it for myself -- it does take a certain amount of selfishness! Friends have had to get used to me being less available for spontaneous drinks/dinners out, my husband has had to get used to me spending less time with him so I can work out, etc.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had to do it for myself, but I'd be lying if I said I don't want those I love to be proud of me.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    for my cat. it couldn't sit on my stomach without rolling off.

Yes!!! <3

I'm doing this for myself... because when I've tried doing it for others, I failed. I look in a mirror or down when I'm naked and hate what I see.

BUT... I'm not going to lie... part of my motivation is to be thinner because I want to meet a man, get married and build a family.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like to think it is for myself but I do have to admit that I have a certain external locus of self image. I already feel quite healthy now as I regularly cycle, run, play badminton and practice aikido but I want to feel happy with how my body looks too and a lot of that comes from how I want others to see me.

It's not healthy to worry what other people think but, try as I might, that is always a nagging concern. I'm getting better with it though
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Definitely, for myself (though Mi bellasposa definitely likes the now me).
  • CherylynBen
    CherylynBen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me and my health. Actually, my fiance likes bigger girls. Not that I'm small (yet) but I constantly ask if my getting fit and thinner is going to be attractive for him. He said he'll love me either way. All the insecurities are my own, though. I do believe he will love me, either way and, frankily, if he doesn't or wants to run off with a bigger girl when I get thin, it's his loss. Even if he didn't like it, my health comes first, not what others think. I don't want to die young and my son deserves to have his mom around for a good, long time :smiley:
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    For me, somewhat. But mostly because my doctor says that I shouldn't get pregnant before i'm down to a healthy weight.
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For me and my health. Actually, my fiance likes bigger girls. Not that I'm small (yet) but I constantly ask if my getting fit and thinner is going to be attractive for him. He said he'll love me either way. All the insecurities are my own, though. I do believe he will love me, either way and, frankily, if he doesn't or wants to run off with a bigger girl when I get thin, it's his loss. Even if he didn't like it, my health comes first, not what others think. I don't want to die young and my son deserves to have his mom around for a good, long time :smiley:

Sadly attraction isn't a choice, for instance I am straight; yet I attract more women/than men & it makes me feel prejudice, when I reject women; otherwise I have no issues with homosexuality. I believe that a lot of people mistake attraction with superficiality. If it isn't a choice, it's attraction. If it's a choice, it's superficiality.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's all about me - my health, actually. But my husband enjoys it. He never even hinted I should. Now I hint he should. And he is. For HIS health.
  • elysianlune
    elysianlune Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For myself, I want my body to get closer to my aesthetic ideal.

Oh, and for health and fitness. Why not?? :p
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Definitely for me! Health reasons. At mid life it definitely isn't about good looks. It's about extending life and making it worth living.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    For my health....
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    for me and my wife.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight for my ex, who thought I was too fat as a size 8. Also for my eating disorder, who I sometimes have to treat like a separate person to stay sane. I've ejected both of them from my life now, because yeah, that was miserable. But I also don't think most of the people losing weight for others are like me. They want to be around for their loved ones.
  • sassy_pae
    Options
    At first, I am doing it to make myself look good and attractive in the eyes of the people around me... But then, I'd realized that I should do it for myself. To learn to love myself and do my best to make myself proud. To become fit and healthy.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Both. I need to do this for myself, but I also need to be around for my daughter.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    for my cat. it couldn't sit on my stomach without rolling off.

oh my god you win who cares why anyone else is losing weight

1xq3e1h9zstb.gif
  • jenniferelizabethwiseman
    Options
    Little bit of both. I want to do it for a lot of personal reasons, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I also want my husband to want me more. How he feels about me is important to me, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that--he loves a lot about me, but not my size right now.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I think for long-term maintaince weight, should really by for yourself, I mean if you were originally happy as you were, then it be horrible denying yourself foods, etc.

No one cared or hardly ever commented when I was obeise, just only I cared, so myself was 100%, I do miss the days when I can enter a fast food outlet anytime I felt like it, but been on maintaince now for a yearm havent put on a pound yet, and just feel I obviously lost my weight for the correct reasons.