How to record "The 7 minute workout"

Options
13»

Replies

• ianrea1
    ianrea1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Take your weight and age and heart rate average for the workout and plug it into this --->
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

For example, for me, if I got my heart rate up to 150 and could keep it at that or above for the entire 7 minutes of working out, I would burn approx 115 calories in that time frame.

It is going to be a guessing game though. If you are doing this so you can get yourself in a calorie deficit and eat more, I would be careful with how many calories you eat back.

What? LOL at this advice.

If I could burn 115 calories in 7 minutes then that's all the exercise I'd ever do!

I'm a 5'10 and 140 lbs male and I'm pretty sure that I could burn 115 calories in 7 minutes. Here's how I'd do it: go to a track, get warmed up and then run 5 laps at 80 seconds per lap (which I know I can do, because I've done it plenty of times). Done.

I use a higher end heart rate monitor with one of the better calorie counting algorithms, so I have a pretty good sense of how many calories I burn at various effort levels and I have a basic command of simple math, which I just did above. 115 calories in 7 minutes is not easy, but definitely do-able.

The "calisthenics" and "circuit training" preloaded items from MFP say that I burn 70 calories in 7 minutes, which seems about right based on the relative effort that I put out using the "7 minute workout" app as compared to running 80 second laps on a track.
  • CatKin76
    CatKin76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you should log it, log whatever you want. All exercise counts - it's your diary you do what you want with it, you get fit the way you want not the way everyone tells you too :-)
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth.. I'm a fairly fit Triathlete and workout usually 6 days a week, weighing in at approx 123lb I did this a few times at decent intensity wearing my chest HRM. I recorded about 40cal burn per 7-min cycle.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Necro thread rises from the ashes of May 2016.....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sodding zombies...
  • Wavylayz
    Wavylayz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just goes to show how much this workout has truly helped people. Searching about it always brings up this thread. Someone needs to design an app that can track this and log it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    7 min of calesthentics is 64 cals, high impact aerobics is about the same. Your stats will be slightly different for age & weight, per MFP database
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Wavylayz wrote: »
    Just goes to show how much this workout has truly helped people. Searching about it always brings up this thread. Someone needs to design an app that can track this and log it.

Maybe your search always brings up this thread, because you've posted here before. Interesting second post.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jman6076 wrote: »
    I typically do the 7 minute high intensity workout that seems to be a mix of cardio and strength.

In 7 minutes you aren't burning enough to be worth tracking. Even an Olympic-level athlete is only going burn about 100 calories going all out, at competition intensity.

jman6076 wrote: »
    Seven minutes of HIIT is easily equivalent to 20-30 minutes of the same exercise at average sustained intensity

That's just flat out wrong.

DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    For example, for me, if I got my heart rate up to 150 and could keep it at that or above for the entire 7 minutes of working out, I would burn approx 115 calories in that time frame.

NO. This is 613 kinds of wrong. Heart rate and calorie burn only correlate under specific, calibrated conditions.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lol these workouts crack me up or the burn 600 cal in 30 mins ones in all the magazines
  • tencigars
    tencigars Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I’m late to the party, but I’ll add my two cents:

The people claiming the 7MW isn’t worth logging for calorie expenditure aren’t considering the individual’s subjective intensity at the time or the muscle rebuilding that occurs after the workout.

Sure, if you do the 7MW at an easy level of difficulty (for you), the calorie expenditure both at the time and later is low.

But if you crank out as many push-ups, squats, dips, lunges, jumping jacks, crunches, etc., as you can (for your fitness level) in 30 seconds each and hold the static exercises in the hardest position you can (for your fitness level) (e.g., if you’re fit, do the one-armed planks with your feet elevated) you will be a sweaty, heart-pounding, panting mess afterward — and you’ll have burned a substantial amount of calories at the time.

But more than that, throughout the day and next day afterward your body will be expending calories to react to the trauma — repairing and strengthening muscle, tendon, bone, and more, to make you a stronger and fitter you.

All that repair and strengthening work requires significant calorie expenditures. (This also occurs in out-of-shape people who are doing exercises to which they’re unaccustomed, even if to fit people watching they don’t seem to be doing much.)

And finally, importantly, *maintaining* strong muscles and other aspects of an athletic physique requires more calorie expenditure. Thus, a strong, fit person of 175 burns more calories daily than an out-of-shape person of the same weight.

Finally, I note that when I was in the army, this was the type of training we did — and that it (endurance strength) is true fitness. Check out YouTube videos and you’ll see that bodybuilders and pure cardio people can’t even pass the basic fitness tests for SEALs, for example.

The 7MW, with positions and exertion levels modified to the individual, is an excellent supplement to almost any exercise regimen, and for people who haven’t been doing any exercise it’s way better than nothing.

It’s not a gimmick; it’s very legit, outstanding in fact. Cardio, strength, flexibility, and proprioception all at once.

If you think you’re the Mac Daddy and think calisthenics are laughable, try doing three cycles of it with no breaks (21 minutes), using exercise positions modified to challenge you, and with as much intensity as you can reasonably sustain (don’t max your heart rate). I also suggest you throw in some pull-ups.

Then if you want to round it out, immediately swim a quarter mile (with a lifeguard) and then immediately run a mile, both at as fast a pace as you can reasonably sustain. That will add another 15 minutes to your workout, so you’ll still be done in about 38 minutes. Easy peasy, right? Hardly worth mentioning.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    dont bother. You're really not burning anything significant in 7 minutes

ETA - I meant dont bother logging it. Go ahead and do the workout, but don't bother logging it. It's very hard to accurately quantify the calorie burn for something like that.

To that logic - there are many food items that are easy to see why the labels are allowed to be upwards of 20% incorrect - so don't log them because they can be off by so much?

ugh - got suckered in. where are the zombies...
  • tencigars
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    dont bother. You're really not burning anything significant in 7 minutes

ETA - I meant dont bother logging it. Go ahead and do the workout, but don't bother logging it. It's very hard to accurately quantify the calorie burn for something like that.

To that logic - there are many food items that are easy to see why the labels are allowed to be upwards of 20% incorrect - so don't log them because they can be off by so much?

ugh - got suckered in. where are the zombies...

Yep, and if you’re going to eat a little of this of that, you shouldn’t bother logging anything, as each value is supposedly negligible.

(Further, you’ll see in my full post that I assert the value of the 7MW can be much greater than the negative respondents disdainfully imply, as it can be quite intense for the individual who pushes himself to the limits of his ability, and as it then results in calorie expenditure afterward as the body repairs and strengthens itself.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    tencigars wrote: »

The people claiming the 7MW isn’t worth logging for calorie expenditure aren’t considering the individual’s subjective intensity at the time or the muscle rebuilding that occurs after the workout.

Sure, if you do the 7MW at an easy level of difficulty (for you), the calorie expenditure both at the time and later is low.

But if you crank out as many push-ups, squats, dips, lunges, jumping jacks, crunches, etc., as you can (for your fitness level) in 30 seconds each and hold the static exercises in the hardest position you can (for your fitness level) (e.g., if you’re fit, do the one-armed planks with your feet elevated) you will be a sweaty, heart-pounding, panting mess afterward — and you’ll have burned a substantial amount of calories at the time.

But more than that, throughout the day and next day afterward your body will be expending calories to react to the trauma — repairing and strengthening muscle, tendon, bone, and more, to make you a stronger and fitter you.

All that repair and strengthening work requires significant calorie expenditures. (This also occurs in out-of-shape people who are doing exercises to which they’re unaccustomed, even if to fit people watching they don’t seem to be doing much.)

And finally, importantly, *maintaining* strong muscles and other aspects of an athletic physique requires more calorie expenditure. Thus, a strong, fit person of 175 burns more calories daily than an out-of-shape person of the same weight.

Finally, I note that when I was in the army, this was the type of training we did — and that it (endurance strength) is true fitness. Check out YouTube videos and you’ll see that bodybuilders and pure cardio people can’t even pass the basic fitness tests for SEALs, for example.

The 7MW, with positions and exertion levels modified to the individual, is an excellent supplement to almost any exercise regimen, and for people who haven’t been doing any exercise it’s way better than nothing.

It’s not a gimmick; it’s very legit, outstanding in fact. Cardio, strength, flexibility, and proprioception all at once.

If you think you’re the Mac Daddy and think calisthenics are laughable, try doing three cycles of it with no breaks (21 minutes), using exercise positions modified to challenge you, and with as much intensity as you can reasonably sustain (don’t max your heart rate). I also suggest you throw in some pull-ups.

Then if you want to round it out, immediately swim a quarter mile (with a lifeguard) and then immediately run a mile, both at as fast a pace as you can reasonably sustain. That will add another 15 minutes to your workout, so you’ll still be done in about 38 minutes. Easy peasy, right? Hardly worth mentioning.
    Lol, okay so dumb question.................why is it called the 7MW if you're stating it would take up to 38 minutes? A 38 minute workout IS NOT the same as a 7MW. And that's the gist of the actual workout...............do a full workout in 7MW.
    I can get my heart rate and breathe hard for 4 minutes of interval training with just body weight. Calories burned are pretty negligeble. I would imagine it's hardly any more for a 7 minute workout.

Now that's NOT to say the workout ISN'T challenging, even for some fit people. But if the question is "how is it logged" for calories..................................it's NOT MUCH.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options

Lets imagine there's a Venn diagram showing intersection of the sets "challenging/difficult exercises", "fatiguing/depleting exercises", and "high calorie burning exercises", each of those considered on a per-minute basis.

I think you believe there's a bigger overlap among those 3 sets than I think there is. (But I think they're all potentially good stuff, as part of a well-rounded program.)

Who I am, expertise-wise? Nobody. 🤷‍♀️

I don't think calisthenics are laughable, not at all. Still.

I also doubt that most of the people who posted in 2015-2017 are still paying attention, or care.
  • tencigars
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Lol, okay so dumb question.................why is it called the 7MW if you're stating it would take up to 38 minutes? A 38 minute workout IS NOT the same as a 7MW. And that's the gist of the actual workout...............do a full workout in 7MW.
    I can get my heart rate and breathe hard for 4 minutes of interval training with just body weight. Calories burned are pretty negligeble. I would imagine it's hardly any more for a 7 minute workout.

Now that's NOT to say the workout ISN'T challenging, even for some fit people. But if the question is "how is it logged" for calories..................................it's NOT MUCH.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

In answer to your question — it’s called the 7 Minute Workout because you do 12 exercises for 30 seconds each.

That’s 6 minutes, but there’s some transition time.

You can do it once or cycle it multiple times. And you can vary the intensity.

It’s good to log it, especially when it’s one of several brief workout portions.

Every single day without fail I do multiple short periods of at least four types of workouts back-to-back, and the 7MW is always one.