Calories Post-dog

Options
1235»

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Just the medical expenses I've seen so far are right at $8000.

!!!!

I hope you're not on the hook for paying for that personally.

No, not all of it. I have insurance to pay part of it, but my bank account is still going to take a significant hit.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yet another reason to not like dogs for me!

because they have accidents sometimes? so do humans.

Nah, because I'm scared of them (my original comment was in jest). Was chased by a dog bigger than I was when I was little plus my close aunt and uncle had their arms nearly torn off by dogs (I know it doesn't represent all dogs but I can't help it). I also don't jive well with their energy, tongues, odours, or fur...

I wouldn't say my dislike of dogs is misplaced. I have my reasons. It's the same as dog lovers not liking cats because they scratch too much or something. A person doesn't HAVE to like all animals ever in the world.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    no idea re the calories but I would suggest eating as clean as possible and ensuring that you get food stuff that is nutrient rich and possible calcium rich too to help with the healing process, while also enjoying a little (not too much ) of what you really fancy as you are in for a boring and challenging time while you heal. Good luck with it. If you are weighing yourself weekly you can always readjust a little but don't cut down too much, just eat good quality.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.

Sued? Really?!? Wow people will sue over anything these days. Also- how do you know the dog was owned? He could have been a stray.

Completely avoidable? Really? Again, it could have been a stray. Glad you have psychic powers to know if was completely avoidable. Along the line of this argument, one could say he was at fault as well. He could have been paying attention better and seen the dog (not saying you actually did anything wron OP, just pointing out the absurdity of this post).

If I were the owner, I would offer to pay for medical expenses, seeing as my dog was off leash. Accidents happen, but it doesn't mean I am not responsible as owner.

So as the cyclist would you offer the pay the dogs medical bills? What if it was a dog sitter that accidently let the out? Or a small child who didn't know better? After all, they coul easy saw he should have been able to see the dog (especially if a bug breed) if he was paying attention (again, not saying he didn't but they could easily argue that).

This is asanine, so I won't bother. Dogs are supposed to be on leash, period. And I am a dog lover.

So a stray should be on a leash? Sorry, but I find this reply asinine. The world isn't perfect.
  • elphie754
    Options

Nah, because I'm scared of them (my original comment was in jest). Was chased by a dog bigger than I was when I was little plus my close aunt and uncle had their arms nearly torn off by dogs (I know it doesn't represent all dogs but I can't help it). I also don't jive well with their energy, tongues, odours, or fur...

I wouldn't say my dislike of dogs is misplaced. I have my reasons. It's the same as dog lovers not liking cats because they scratch too much or something. A person doesn't HAVE to like all animals ever in the world.

True. Animal love isn't a requirement to be a lovable person. Some animal lovers go a little overboard with their expectations from other humans toward animals. (I don't mean you personally Aviva)

I love dogs and most animals excluding snakes, certain rodents and cold blooded species. Cats I don't like. They make me shudder, instinctively. Unless they're declawed and as affectionate and approachable as dogs. Then I love them.

But if a cat is catty with the standoffishness and does the pouncing out of nowhere routine, I can't stand them. This includes a lot of them.

I was once standing on a porch ringing my friend's doorbell and all of a sudden a cat I didn't even know jumped on my shoulder and just stood there. He was laying in wait on one of the upper beams of the porch. I almost had a heart attack. Maybe the cat thought it was funny but I didn't see the humor in it at all. Except now I do, but still. Damn cats...

Cats have their own personalities. I have two, both the same age, adopted at the same time, from the same litter. The one is as friendly as can be and does not understand the concept of personal space. She will even shower with me if I leave the bathroom door open. The other is a scardy cat. He so much as hears a bump and he runs and hides. People don't even realize I have a second cat lol. He is only friendly with me, and very demanding when no one is around.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think the suggestion to switch your goal to sedentary is probably the best idea in this case.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.

Sued? Really?!? Wow people will sue over anything these days. Also- how do you know the dog was owned? He could have been a stray.

Completely avoidable? Really? Again, it could have been a stray. Glad you have psychic powers to know if was completely avoidable. Along the line of this argument, one could say he was at fault as well. He could have been paying attention better and seen the dog (not saying you actually did anything wron OP, just pointing out the absurdity of this post).

If I were the owner, I would offer to pay for medical expenses, seeing as my dog was off leash. Accidents happen, but it doesn't mean I am not responsible as owner.

So as the cyclist would you offer the pay the dogs medical bills? What if it was a dog sitter that accidently let the out? Or a small child who didn't know better? After all, they coul easy saw he should have been able to see the dog (especially if a bug breed) if he was paying attention (again, not saying he didn't but they could easily argue that).

This is asanine, so I won't bother. Dogs are supposed to be on leash, period. And I am a dog lover.

So a stray should be on a leash? Sorry, but I find this reply asinine. The world isn't perfect.

I'm obviously not talking about a stray. I said if it were my dog, I would offer to pay. And I would. No the world isn't perfect, but it would be better if humans would act responsibly when it came to pets.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Just the medical expenses I've seen so far are right at $8000.

!!!!

I hope you're not on the hook for paying for that personally.

No, not all of it. I have insurance to pay part of it, but my bank account is still going to take a significant hit.

I'm sorry this happened. I agree wit the others about switching to maintainence for proper healing. Best wishes!
  • elphie754
    Options

True. Animal love isn't a requirement to be a lovable person. Some animal lovers go a little overboard with their expectations from other humans toward animals. (I don't mean you personally Aviva)

I love dogs and most animals excluding snakes, certain rodents and cold blooded species. Cats I don't like. They make me shudder, instinctively. Unless they're declawed and as affectionate and approachable as dogs. Then I love them.

But if a cat is catty with the standoffishness and does the pouncing out of nowhere routine, I can't stand them. This includes a lot of them.

I was once standing on a porch ringing my friend's doorbell and all of a sudden a cat I didn't even know jumped on my shoulder and just stood there. He was laying in wait on one of the upper beams of the porch. I almost had a heart attack. Maybe the cat thought it was funny but I didn't see the humor in it at all. Except now I do, but still. Damn cats...

Cats have their own personalities. I have two, both the same age, adopted at the same time, from the same litter. The one is as friendly as can be and does not understand the concept of personal space. She will even shower with me if I leave the bathroom door open. The other is a scardy cat. He so much as hears a bump and he runs and hides. People don't even realize I have a second cat lol. He is only friendly with me, and very demanding when no one is around.

I guess you never know what kinda cat you're gonna get. The showering thing though. That's adorable :heart:

Haha. It is adorable, and during the sprint and fall I have no problem letting her do it. During the winter it is just too cold (and if I blow dry her, she will never let me stop lol) and in the summer with the a/c it can be too cold.