50 Shades of Grey

Options

Replies

• thoseAmericanthighs
    Options
    I refuse to read it. But I have read lists as such : http://theramblingcurl.blogspot.com/2014/02/fifty-abusive-moments-in-fifty-shades.html

detailing excerpts from the books themselves... It's too close to home. My first relationship was fraught with instances like the ones provided and the fact that this is so mainstream saddens me greatly because it just means that there are that many more people who begin to justify the actions of the abuser. It's an insult to the men out there who are actually swoon worthy for such a man as Christian Grey to be glorified for his actions of abuse.

I will never read these books, never see the movie, and never understand why so many are so taken by this so-called "romance".
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Women who see this and suddenly think they're into BDSM is why safe words were invented.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I tried to read the books but it was sooo boring. Why would I pay $15 to watch that horrible book come to life?
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'll be seeing this with 3 friends of mine. We all read the books, enjoyed them for what they were... fictional stories that have no bearing on our lives or who we are. We will enjoy a girls night out without our husbands!
  • princesssadie93
    princesssadie93 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    @michellemybelll‌ heard the same thing as well
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    What naughty woman hasn't asked for and gotten a spanking? Who would feel it's their prerogative to judge what consenting adults do behind closed doors...down in their sub-basements.. with thrash metal playing to muffle the sounds of screams???
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    was that too much???
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    What naughty woman hasn't asked for and gotten a spanking? Who would feel it's their prerogative to judge what consenting adults do behind closed doors...down in their sub-basements.. with thrash metal playing to muffle the sounds of screams???

:heart_eyes:

kidding
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    "The only reason why Christian Grey is a catch is because he is rich and cute. If Ugly Bob asked if he could tie you up, you'd call the police not move into his trailer."

I saw that that somewhere and laughed so hard.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    romanticizing an abusive relationship no thank you

i would much prefer to go see the new spongebob movie
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    All you ladies go and learn how to get pulled around by your hair and smacked when your man wants something. Assaulting your woman has never been more mainstream.

BDSM has NOTHING to do with abuse and both parties fully ENJOY it, and safety measures (ie a safety word or action) are in place to stop the activities immediately if someone has had enough.

And the BDSM community has said that these books are in no way an accurate portrayal of their lifestyle.

These books are about sexual violence and domestic abuse. I'll pass.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In the first book when she's reading that stupid contract, I kept finding myself thinking "dont do it dont do it dont it, DAMN she's actually considering it. -_-"
  • FrancesAnnLFM
    Options
    this is a rehash of that book 9 1/2 weeks that came out decades ago and they also did a movie on it...just an old topic with a new twist...do not go to movies rent them will not rent this one...yawn...when i was younger and single and wanted to engage in merry making , wine,sky-clad , beer, i will go to the Renaissance festival or Medieval Reenactment Wars
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the books, just the first one. And while I found a different trilogy on the same subject matter A LOT better (can't think of the series name, it'll come to me), I think it'll be fun to go see this movie with a bunch of girlfriends for a girls' night out. Start out with appetizers and cocktails at a restaurant near by and then go see the movie.
  • Fittykitty11
    Options
    My only objection to all the 'fangirls' freaking out about this movie is the fact that I know quite a few of them on my social media who HATE, repeat HATE, when their husbands/significant other watches the VS runway show or they get jealous if the man intently watches sex scenes of movies.

Otherwise, sure I'll watch the movie. I thought the books were crap and wanted more of a storyline but uh... yeah, those type of books don't have complex, deep, meaningful character building so I don't know what I was expecting. Definitely a guilty pleasure read which I will watch the movie as a rental.
  • TrainingToBePerfect
    TrainingToBePerfect Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    uhhhh... haha I am super excited to see it .. :neutral_face: Guess that makes me a bad person lol
  • Fittykitty11
    Options
    uhhhh... haha I am super excited to see it .. :neutral_face: Guess that makes me a bad person lol

Waiting for a male to respond with, "You've been a bad girl..." *whip*

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    I rather chew my own face off.

this ^^^^^^^
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My only objection to all the 'fangirls' freaking out about this movie is the fact that I know quite a few of them on my social media who HATE, repeat HATE, when their husbands/significant other watches the VS runway show or they get jealous if the man intently watches sex scenes of movies.

OMG YEAH. I dated a guy whose ex wouldn't let him watch the Avengers because she just knew he wanted to watch it just because of Black Widow. Not because ya know, he's a guy and love comic books, but just because of the boobies. She was also cheating on him with multiple guys. I guess that's okay in her book.

• Fittykitty11
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »

OMG YEAH. I dated a guy whose ex wouldn't let him watch the Avengers because she just knew he wanted to watch it just because of Black Widow. Not because ya know, he's a guy and love comic books, but just because of the boobies. She was also cheating on him with multiple guys. I guess that's okay in her book.

As if there isn't eyecandy in that movie for us ladies to enjoy.......