Low Fat or Low Carb

Options

Replies

• mastickles
    mastickles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's going to be based on personal genetics and taste. About 20 years ago, I was introduced to the Atkins diet and decided to test whether macronutrient ratios were really important or if it was just CICO. Over a two-month period, I found that I could maintain weight for a week eating 2200-2300 calories a day if I kept net carbs in the 35-50g range; in the 125-150g range, I had to drop to 1700-1800 calories. But a friend who did the same thing with me did not notice nearly as much difference (we were both trying to keep physical activity fairly constant throughout the test).

Despite that, I don't follow Atkins, because I've found from experience that I can only last two months or so before I crack and binge on potato chips or ice cream or something similarly carb-y, and I can't make myself go back on the plan for at least a couple of months. Before that, I tried vegetarianism and cracked even more quickly, binging on burgers at McDonalds after just a couple of weeks. The best plan - for you - is the one you can stick with long-term while still actually losing fat on it. I'm still working on finding mine.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yea I am trying to watch my fat also and keep it down a little below my limit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Yea I am trying to watch my fat also and keep it down a little below my limit.

Is there are particular reason you are watching fats?
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I keep going over by a little bit and just want to focus on having less fat in my body and build muscle so I have some fat, just not a ton and I don't want to go over which I don't do often
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I go 45% carbs, 25% fat, 30% protein. I usually fall short of the protein goal and go a little higher on the carbs.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    I keep going over by a little bit and just want to focus on having less fat in my body and build muscle so I have some fat, just not a ton and I don't want to go over which I don't do often

Having less fat in your dietary intake isn't what makes you build muscle. Adequate dietary fat intake is vital to optimal health. How many grams of fat are you eating daily?

This. Also, foods high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats have been linked to decreasing cholesterol and improving overall help. Overall, fats increase satiety, increase nutrient absorption and improve skin health.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Low calorie. I love all my macros. I watch that I am eating enough protein. That is all.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Low carb works much better for me. I feel full on less calories, have much more energy, don't get tired after lunch, and no longer get cravings for sweets. I generally keep carbs under 100 grams. I do eat fruit and most vegetables, but avoid added sugar and bread.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Appropriate amounts of all with a tapering off of carbs as the day goes on.

I don't believe in carb timing, but I do believe SOME people need to taper carbs to control hunger later on in their day.

The issue is the appropriate amounts of carbs usually means a lot less than MOST people are eating currently if they have weight issues.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Limit carbs to around 100 and sugars to as low as you can and you will lose weight by the fistfuls. I'm down 24 pounds of fat and 43 to 35 inch waist in the last year. I added 5 pounds of muscle.
    You keep saying the same thing but won't bother to answer the questions you were asked below in the other thread.
    Every person's body, goals, and knowledge levels are different Grubworm. Get the facts before you decide. It is obvious that there is alot of disinformation on the net and here. Let me know if you have questions.

Yes, 100 grams of carbs is the magic number. Yes, you can gain muscle while losing weight... in fact the more muscle burns more fat.

You're saying there is misinformation yet you are spreading it.

Who said 100g is the magic number? What happens at 105 or 110 or 140?
    How are you going to be adding lbs of muscle in a deficit like you claim? Where is your body getting the necessary nutrition it needs for that when it's in a deficit?

I hate having to do the work for you but here it is.

I said AROUND 100 carbs. That is anywhere between 50 and 150. As you get below that 100 (and I think even higher) then your body is in a slight state of ketosis.

As I said in the other post you quoted, everyone's body is different. If you are a 27 year old male with 10% body fat then what you said is probably true. If you are a fat old guy like me (compared to you) then adding muscle is easy... I lift heavy weights, my muscles tear and rebuild and get bigger. Between my adding new muscle which burns more calories / fat, and doing at least 30 minutes of cardio on my "off days", and eating at a calorie deficit... I lost 25 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. It probably is important as well the source of my calories: fat and protein... not carbs.

Yes, I read the same website as you about cutting and bulking... and I read another few that debunked most of that. Ill send you the link if I can find it again.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2015
    Options

I hate having to do the work for you but here it is.

I said AROUND 100 carbs. That is anywhere between 50 and 150. As you get below that 100 (and I think even higher) then your body is in a slight state of ketosis.

As I said in the other post you quoted, everyone's body is different. If you are a 27 year old male with 10% body fat then what you said is probably true. If you are a fat old guy like me (compared to you) then adding muscle is easy... I lift heavy weights, my muscles tear and rebuild and get bigger. Between my adding new muscle which burns more calories / fat, and doing at least 30 minutes of cardio on my "off days", and eating at a calorie deficit... I lost 25 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. It probably is important as well the source of my calories: fat and protein... not carbs.

Yes, I read the same website as you about cutting and bulking... and I read another few that debunked most of that. Ill send you the link if I can find it again.

How are you measuring muscle growth? It's highly unlikely to gain muscle while in a deficit. Most studies would suggest it's rather difficult, unless you are morbidly obese, new to lifting completely or a returning athlete.

BTW, for every lb of muscle you gain, you only add like 6 additional calories burned. So you would only be burning an additional 30 calories a day.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    Get over it.

Go do your own work.

I'm not here to dispell the incorrect information in your head.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Get over it.

Go do your own work.

I'm not here to dispell the incorrect information in your head.

If you are going to make wild recommendations, you should probably provide sources to back up those claims or you will continuously be called out on the forums. Personally, if I eat anything less than 250g of carbs a day, my performance is severely hindered. So while cutting carbs worked for you, it by no means is required for anyone.

Also, dont' know if you saw my questions above, but if you want to answer them that would be appreciated.

• JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    Sorry Psulemon, I missed your post because ours were at the same time.

That is why I told MrM that it is different for different bodies... I have only been lifting for the last year or so. Maybe that explains why I am gaining in a deficit. Either way I am, so I do not care what any study says... this is reality.

They are not "wild recommendations" P, it is just science. I have seen alot more people here agree with me than not. Again, it may not work for you young male bodybuilders... however it works for alot of other older people. And again, I do not need to substantiate any claim because the facts are I lost 25 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle... FACT. Take it and use it, or don't. So while not cutting carbs worked for you, it by no means is required for anyone....

Im sorry you have to eat more than 250 carbs. That is your body condition. I am fine especially if I have a pre-workout snack or bar on my lifting days to give me some carbs and protein. A few times I dipped way too low on the overall calories and that affected my heavy lifts as well. I watch that now. These two things keep me plenty fueled for what I need to do. And I more closely restrict my carbs on my cardio days.

As far as your statement that you think the added muscle burns little fat, I'm a bit skeptical. Ill go check it out though.

Thanks
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sorry Psulemon, I missed your post because ours were at the same time.

That is why I told MrM that it is different for different bodies... I have only been lifting for the last year or so. Maybe that explains why I am gaining in a deficit. Either way I am, so I do not care what any study says... this is reality.

They are not "wild recommendations" P, it is just science. I have seen alot more people here agree with me than not. Again, it may not work for you young male bodybuilders... however it works for alot of other older people. And again, I do not need to substantiate any claim because the facts are I lost 25 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle... FACT. Take it and use it, or don't. So while not cutting carbs worked for you, it by no means is required for anyone....

Im sorry you have to eat more than 250 carbs. That is your body condition. I am fine especially if I have a pre-workout snack or bar on my lifting days to give me some carbs and protein. A few times I dipped way too low on the overall calories and that affected my heavy lifts as well. I watch that now. These two things keep me plenty fueled for what I need to do. And I more closely restrict my carbs on my cardio days.

As far as your statement that you think the added muscle burns little fat, I'm a bit skeptical. Ill go check it out though.

Thanks

I don't think you are purposely misleading us, however, you most certainly mistaken. But, good luck brother.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options
    Wow, that took me two minutes to come up with data.

I plugged in "does more muscle burn fat" into google and found articles from WebMD, bodybuilding.com, and muscle & fitness which all support my experiences.

Here is a good quote from the M&F article regarding the carbs.
    "Suppress fat-storing hormones and you can expect a significant amount of bodyfat to melt away. The ideal way to control these hormones is to keep your carbohydrate intake in check, since carbs kick up insulin, a hormone that inhibits fat breakdown and drives fat storage. Eat fewer carbs and insulin levels tend to moderate, leading to fat loss".

Also, try using a calculator... 30 calories a day means 3 pounds a year. I know alot of people who would not mind losing 3 pounds. Also, I was estimating the 5 pounds of muscle but my guess is it is more. I would have to go back and look at my starting and current body fat percentage.