Low Fat or Low Carb

Options

Replies

• krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So is it true to find the right number of carbs in foods, you have subtract the total fiber from the carbs and that number is the right number of carbs that is in the food?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    So is it true to find the right number of carbs in foods, you have subtract the total fiber from the carbs and that number is the right number of carbs that is in the food?

No, not exactly. This is the general description of "net carbs" although Atkins, and maybe others, also excludes sugar alcohols, which is another type of carb that is not absorbed or only partially absorbed (depending on type).

But fiber and sugar alcohols are still carbs contained in the food. It's more about measuring how much is absorbed by the body, which varies. Some fiber is absorbed, some is not.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    That's net carbs. That is typically used by low carb dieters, and I would imagine for people with diabetes. It doesn't subtract the calories it contains, but the effect that food has on blood sugar level.

• blazterx
    blazterx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I set my carb/fat percentages equal and then focus on calories and protein. Works great and is much more mentally sustainable because I do not have to eliminate any food groups. No food is bad, too much of anything is.
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My brother is working on his PhD in Dietetics so I'm really lucky that I have someone with concrete science to dispell the confusing (and sometimes downright WRONG) information that is out there. Its hard because we are all looking for a quick fix. Diets don't work. No matter how you slice it, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. Focus on whole grains, make sure you are getting adequate protein (you need a min amount of protein to lose weight), and try to reduce consumption of processed foods and sugar as much as possible. Don't forget to take a day off too! I take a day off every 2 weeks and eat whatever. It seems to stimulate my metabolism -- not to mention, its a much needed treat!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    What have you found that works better for you? What foods have you ate in the past that havin been included in these low fat/low carb plans? Which plan did you like better because you had better results with when cutting fat and maintaining muscle?

Neither. Just eat a balanced diet. Eat healthy and exercise, there is your miracle for cutting fat and maintaining muscle.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I don't have a choice, I have to do low carb. The upside is I'm never hungry and it's generally a lot more food than I could eat in a day if I ate to my calorie limit. It's been long enough that my tastes have changed, and a lot of the things people make a big deal of 'giving up' don't really taste good to me anyway (sugary things like frosting or candy, bread, fries). There's still plenty of vegetables and some fruit, so it's not like giving up an entire macro (another common exaggeration). Play with your macros and adjust every few weeks. What matters is you have enough protein to maintain muscle mass, beyond that it's up to you if what's left is more carbs or more fat.

I fall into the same group.

Being able to eat more calories when doing Low Carb High Fat lifestyle vs the other way around is a plus in my case.
    No you don't get to magically eat more calories because you eat high fat low carb.

That's not how I interpreted his post. I was thinking that he runs out of his allotted carbs (possibly diabetic or pre diabetic) before he runs out of calories... so if he eats less carbs he gets closer to eating all of allowed calories in a day.

That's how it was for me when I started. I was on 130 carbs per day as per my dietitian. I had to juggle a lot learning how to eat under my carbs but hit 1400 calories in a day. A *LOT* of nights just eating a meat with no sides because I was out of carbs, at least until I learned how to balance my meals.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What have you found that works better for you? What foods have you ate in the past that havin been included in these low fat/low carb plans? Which plan did you like better because you had better results with when cutting fat and maintaining muscle?

What works best is the diet you can adhere to and not driving yourself crazy obsessing over the minors
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    I don't have a choice, I have to do low carb. The upside is I'm never hungry and it's generally a lot more food than I could eat in a day if I ate to my calorie limit. It's been long enough that my tastes have changed, and a lot of the things people make a big deal of 'giving up' don't really taste good to me anyway (sugary things like frosting or candy, bread, fries). There's still plenty of vegetables and some fruit, so it's not like giving up an entire macro (another common exaggeration). Play with your macros and adjust every few weeks. What matters is you have enough protein to maintain muscle mass, beyond that it's up to you if what's left is more carbs or more fat.

Being able to eat more calories when doing Low Carb High Fat lifestyle vs the other way around is a plus in my case.
    No you don't get to magically eat more calories because you eat high fat low carb.

That's not how I interpreted his post. I was thinking that he runs out of his allotted carbs (possibly diabetic or pre diabetic) before he runs out of calories... so if he eats less carbs he gets closer to eating all of allowed calories in a day.

That's how it was for me when I started. I was on 130 carbs per day as per my dietitian. I had to juggle a lot learning how to eat under my carbs but hit 1400 calories in a day. A *LOT* of nights just eating a meat with no sides because I was out of carbs, at least until I learned how to balance my meals.

My carb limit is 130 so I am looking for foods with no carbs because when I run out of carbs, I find I still need to eat to make up for my calories needed as well as makeup for some of my exercise. What other foods do you eat that are no/low carb? I need to get more meat it seems like. Any suggestions for easy/fast/not super expensive food? I was thinking like sandwhich meat would be good but would have to look at the fat gram also and sodium.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    This is such a great conversation!!

I think dieting falls into 3 categories --

1980s (mid 80s - early 90s)
    1990s (mid 90s - early 2000s)
    NOW

The 1980s is LOW FAT. Fat is bad. Don't eat fat. Take fat out of food and replace it with sugar, salt, processed ingredients to add (fake, at times) flavor.

The 1990s is LOW CARB. Carbs are bad. Don't eat carbs. Remove carbs from food, subtract parts of carbs that don't count (ie fiber).

NOW is CLEAN EATING. Stop eating processed food. Only eat things that come from the earth. Eat organic.

Truthfully, the best option is what works for your body -- what makes you FEEL good (ie energy, alertness, sleeping well, etc). If you're trying to lose weight, what works for you? I personally prefer high protein, moderate fat & carbs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    That's net carbs. That is typically used by low carb dieters, and I would imagine for people with diabetes. It doesn't subtract the calories it contains, but the effect that food has on blood sugar level.

Actually, it does subtract calories. If the carbs are not absorbed, then neither are the calories. But some labels already have the calories subtracted for this reason. You need to look at total carbs and calories from carbs, if that is provided, and do the math to see if it's already been subtracted.

Even if those numbers are provided, it's tricky. I've searched online and couldn't find a definitive answer from a reputable source re: exactly how much fiber is absorbed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    mscheftg wrote: »
    This is such a great conversation!!

I think dieting falls into 3 categories --

1980s (mid 80s - early 90s)
    1990s (mid 90s - early 2000s)
    NOW

The 1980s is LOW FAT. Fat is bad. Don't eat fat. Take fat out of food and replace it with sugar, salt, processed ingredients to add (fake, at times) flavor.

The 1990s is LOW CARB. Carbs are bad. Don't eat carbs. Remove carbs from food, subtract parts of carbs that don't count (ie fiber).

NOW is CLEAN EATING. Stop eating processed food. Only eat things that come from the earth. Eat organic.

Truthfully, the best option is what works for your body -- what makes you FEEL good (ie energy, alertness, sleeping well, etc). If you're trying to lose weight, what works for you? I personally prefer high protein, moderate fat & carbs.

Clean eating has been around for a long time. Even before Atkins, I believe, which was first published in 1972. Many hippies and flower children were clean eaters.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    My brother is working on his PhD in Dietetics so I'm really lucky that I have someone with concrete science to dispell the confusing (and sometimes downright WRONG) information that is out there. Its hard because we are all looking for a quick fix. Diets don't work. No matter how you slice it, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. Focus on whole grains, make sure you are getting adequate protein (you need a min amount of protein to lose weight), and try to reduce consumption of processed foods and sugar as much as possible. Don't forget to take a day off too! I take a day off every 2 weeks and eat whatever. It seems to stimulate my metabolism -- not to mention, its a much needed treat!

The two bolded sentences above could not both be true. ANY way of eating where the intent is to lose weight is a diet, including counting calories.
  • MelRC117
    edited February 2015
    Options

My carb limit is 130 so I am looking for foods with no carbs because when I run out of carbs, I find I still need to eat to make up for my calories needed as well as makeup for some of my exercise. What other foods do you eat that are no/low carb? I need to get more meat it seems like. Any suggestions for easy/fast/not super expensive food? I was thinking like sandwhich meat would be good but would have to look at the fat gram also and sodium.

For snacks I use cheese, jerky, and almonds.

Buy fattier cuts of meat (instead of the lean ground meat as an example). Are you buying the low fat/fat free salad dressings/sour cream/cottage cheese/condiments? Those are some places to reduce your carb intake, and possible up your calories.

Meat and straight fat are your options for basically zero carbs. Add butter, oil, or mayo to your meals to up your calories without upping your carbs.

• MelRC117
    Options

Source of concrete science....then says to take a day off to stimulate metabolism...

• krknobbe10
    Options

Buy fattier cuts of meat (instead of the lean ground meat as an example). Are you buying the low fat/fat free salad dressings/sour cream/cottage cheese/condiments? Those are some places to reduce your carb intake, and possible up your calories.

Meat and straight fat are your options for basically zero carbs. Add butter, oil, or mayo to your meals to up your calories without upping your carbs.

I am buying all low fat/fat free condiments and sour cream and salad dressings. I sometimes use salsa as a salad dressing since it is low carb and something different when I want to switch things up. Will have to try to add butter and sour cream tho.
  • MelRC117
    Options

I am buying all low fat/fat free condiments and sour cream and salad dressings. I sometimes use salsa as a salad dressing since it is low carb and something different when I want to switch things up. Will have to try to add butter and sour cream tho.

Personally, I would switch to the full fat options of those things. The full fat options are typically less carbs and more fat. They may or may not be more calories.

• KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't do either. I especially don't do low-fat--I've found that eating enough fat keeps me feeling satisfied longer. In the past when I mistakenly tried low fat diets, I was ALWAYS hungry. Not now. As for carbs--I don't pay much attention to them, to be honest. I certainly don't limit them. Out of curiosity today I went back and looked at the past month, and carb intake was widely variable. I haven't found that it's affected my weight loss at all.