what roll does sugar play in weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar of all sorts every day and am down 20 lbs. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The arguement continues because certain people are deliberately being obtuse.

agreed....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I only read the first handful of responses, and while I generally agree with them, I will say that if your macros are WAY out of balance, then it can make a difference. It's not nearly as big of a deal as cals in vs cals out (gotta have that in check regardless of everything else).

Macros are generally more important for body comp goals (fat loss vs scale weight loss), but I have seem some people respond better to cutting cals by dialing back sugars vs a more general reduction in calories. Again, this is more apt to be the case for people whose macros are way out of balance and the majority of their calories are coming from sugars/carbs. At least IME.

I actually do agree with this, I just think that for most people it works itself out.

If you cut your calories, but have a diet that's out of whack from a macro or nutrient perspective, the first reason to change that is that anyone reasonable knows it's not healthy and may want to be healthy independent of weight loss. The second reason is that it's going to be really hard to sustain a calorie deficit on 80% carbs and sugary stuff for most people (yes, Freelee and her bananas, who cares). If it's not for you, not problem, if it is most people will go ahead and rearrange their diet without having to be told "you must cut sugar to lose weight!" And the third reason, which varies from person to person, is that you will probably feel worse if you eat a really unhealthy diet and that's another reason to change as you work through it.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ive always believed weight loss was all in the calories in vs calories out. but someone told me today id probably lose more if i cut out all sugar except natural sugars and the occasional treat. does it really make a difference how much sugar i have as long as im under my calorie goal?

yes it does matter if you are looking to have healthy weight loss. You could eat 100% sugar in a calorie deficit and lose weight, in fact you will probably lose it 3 to 4 times faster than eating a balanced diet. Sounds good, but unfortunately a majority of that weight lose would come from lean mass (muscle, organs, bone, sinew etc).

Your main aim should be to hit your protein goal. One school of thought for this level is 0.7g - 1g per lb of lean mass. The more active you are, older you are or if you are recovering from injury the nearer the top end you would do well to aim for.

Outside of that split your fat and carbs to suit your tastes. You are more likely to lose weight (and sustain your diet) eating the split that best suits you.

If you are eating in a calorie deficit, it is likely you will NOT be eating enough sugar for it to be considered even remotely unhealthy.

If you want to eat some sweets, or general junk food then do it and enjoy it, just be mindful not to eat this in place of healthier foods, which will provide more vitamins and minerals, although if you are eating a good balance of food it is likely you will achieve this.

• tennisdude2004
    Options

tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o1_500.gif
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

agreed....

I also agree.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    The less sugar I eat the less hungry I am and the more likely I am to stick to healthier options. The World Health Organization recommends 25g/day. That is a tough number but I try.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

agreed....

I also agree.

The irony is ironic.

for realzzzz

and beat me to it...
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    ive always believed weight loss was all in the calories in vs calories out. but someone told me today id probably lose more if i cut out all sugar except natural sugars and the occasional treat. does it really make a difference how much sugar i have as long as im under my calorie goal?
    NormInv wrote: »
    Maintaining blood sugar level is key to sticking to a good eating routine. When your sugar level spikes, then falls, it induces the hunger pangs and we make bad food decisions like munching on food with no nutrition at work. Hence, one should avoid the starchy carbs as well as sugars.

2 reasons - to stabilize blood sugar, and to avoid filling up on food with no nutritional value. Sure you can eat all your calories in MnMs, but your body will break down if you don't feed it the good food.

nice straw man argument about eating M&M's all day. Please tell me how is making that argument, or where OP ever mentioned that. You can eat sugar and in the context of an overall diet not have to word about it.

Protein spikes insulin too, so should that be restricted…???????

OP asks if sugar makes a difference.

Several people responded no, it doesn't make a difference.

Norm adds a touch of context about how blood sugar works.

I'll ask again -- is Norm wrong?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »
    Maintaining blood sugar level is key to sticking to a good eating routine. When your sugar level spikes, then falls, it induces the hunger pangs and we make bad food decisions like munching on food with no nutrition at work. Hence, one should avoid the starchy carbs as well as sugars.

2 reasons - to stabilize blood sugar, and to avoid filling up on food with no nutritional value. Sure you can eat all your calories in MnMs, but your body will break down if you don't feed it the good food.

nice straw man argument about eating M&M's all day. Please tell me how is making that argument, or where OP ever mentioned that. You can eat sugar and in the context of an overall diet not have to word about it.

Protein spikes insulin too, so should that be restricted…???????

OP asks if sugar makes a difference.

Several people responded no, it doesn't make a difference.

Norm adds a touch of context about how blood sugar works.

I'll ask again -- is Norm wrong?

your moving the goal posts...

you claimed I advocated for a diet of 100% sugar, which I never once did.
  • afoust1986
    afoust1986 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I think the important thing to remember from all of this is that if added sugar isn't helping you achieve your goals, there's nothing wrong with working to reduce it. However, it isn't a "magic solution." If you're a person who finds sugar to be a trigger for you (like myself), there's a good chance that reducing your sugar intake will help, if only because you're making smarter decisions with your food types and quantities. Personally, I'm the kind of person who can't have just 1 Girl Scout cookie. If I have 1, all the will-power is gone and I have to have another. But if I don't have that first one, I can resist the temptation.

In relation to non-weight loss goals, however, sugar is definitely an interesting thing... look in to some of the studies showing how sugar and cocaine similarly light up the brain. It's definitely interesting, whatever conclusions and decisions you choose to draw from them.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Over all it's calories in vs calories out and a deficit will get you weight loss.
    No matter what the calories consist of.

I personally have to be careful with carbs because they make me hungry. I get around that by eating the carbs first and finishing with my fats and proteins.

Cutting carbs will give you an initial big loss because your body will hold on to less water. As soon as you start eating carbs again, the water weight will come back.

Since I don't intend to eat a low carb diet forever, I rather eat my carbs while losing weight and not having to worry about the water weight coming back after I reach my goal and I go into maintenance.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    afoust1986 wrote: »

I think the important thing to remember from all of this is that if added sugar isn't helping you achieve your goals, there's nothing wrong with working to reduce it. However, it isn't a "magic solution." If you're a person who finds sugar to be a trigger for you (like myself), there's a good chance that reducing your sugar intake will help, if only because you're making smarter decisions with your food types and quantities. Personally, I'm the kind of person who can't have just 1 Girl Scout cookie. If I have 1, all the will-power is gone and I have to have another. But if I don't have that first one, I can resist the temptation.

In relation to non-weight loss goals, however, sugar is definitely an interesting thing... look in to some of the studies showing how sugar and cocaine similarly light up the brain. It's definitely interesting, whatever conclusions and decisions you choose to draw from them.

I'm with you on the cookies. I don't want to eat just one, and I'd rather not eat them at all than go through my day battling the desire to eat more.

I'm even more interested in sugar's effects on the liver than sugar and the brain. But it's difficult to understand properly, at least for me. Lots of biochemical reactions going on. I'm trying to have at least a rudimentary understanding, though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

You mean people are arguing to be right rather than to be helpful? On MFP? No. Way.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No.
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Sugar can make you feel much more hungry. Long term sugar makes you more fat. Sugar raises triglycerides.
    It is much more complicated and basically depends on your goals.
    Calories in - Calories out works for weight loss, but because sugar blocks leptin you might be starving & eventually cave to eat much more! Not to mention the long term effects too much sugar has on your body.

I've been trying to curb my sugar intake and it is challenging- sugar is in everything! Once you start reading the labels, it is horrifying. I'm not including fruit in this though. Fruit has fiber and is awesome - particularly berries. I do believe in moderation, though, so I would never deprive myself the occasional treat.

Check out Dr. Mark Hyman. He is the director of functional medicine for the Cleveland Clinic and has written some great articles on sugar.
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/03/06/top-10-big-ideas-detox-sugar/

Here is an article about sugar & leptin:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/26/sugar-affects-leptin-signals.aspx
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

You mean people are arguing to be right rather than to be helpful? On MFP? No. Way.

This is the MFP general forum, being helpful has no business here!

• NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    sugar does provide inefficient carbs, and excess is stored as fat

even if I am in a calorie deficit? So sugar defies the laws of physics and math???

I assume Norm is referring to thermodynamics, which is science. The body uses more energy to burn certain foods, which is why less energy is used for drinks and simple carbohydrates (such as sugar).

Maybe do some research on thermodynamics, digestion, and sugar?