1200 cal per day challenge!

Options

Replies

• slittle80
    slittle80 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 (suggested by my doctor for health reasons) for just over a month now. Anyone can add me :)

I don't agree 1200 is too low. It depends on the person, their health, etc. I burn off 700-900 calories most days and eat at least half back. There's no way I'm eating too little for me.

If you're eating back the calories from a workout, you're not netting 1200 calories so you're fueling the workouts. That's a GOOD thing. If you're trying to do a workout with nothing more than 1200 calories in your system, you're going to bottom out your metabolism if it's for a prolonged time.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 (suggested by my doctor for health reasons) for just over a month now. Anyone can add me :)

I don't agree 1200 is too low. It depends on the person, their health, etc. I burn off 700-900 calories most days and eat at least half back. There's no way I'm eating too little for me.

Most GP don't have much experience with nutrition. I hope the doctor refered you to an RD. However your situation is different. You've discussed it with a medical professional (and are hopefully being monitored and such). The OP is a new mom.
  • hh07
    hh07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've been on 1200 since 5 Jan and have lost 15lb so far. I don't find it too bad but I do have days when I need to distract myself from snacking. I'm going to the gym about 6 times a week for a mix of treadmill, swimming and body pump classes. I have eaten back some of my calories but generally not a lot of them.

Feel free to add me. I'd like to share meal ideas and tips with you all!
  • bradfico
    bradfico Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Man...you guys are good...i m finding it hard to keep it under 1500....i m 5'10 nd 183 lbs...i want to shed another 15-20 lbs in 2 months...i try to get myself a max 30 min circuit training at home. Any suggestions on meals so i can keep a healthy diet(getting all macro and micro nutrients) and still keep it under 1200
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I agree, I eat about 1200 calories a day (I've actually set my budget at 900 calories and commit fully to burning 300 calories a day throught exercise, so I eat 1200). I think the key is not wasting those calories on low-nutrient food. I'm ALWAYS full after a meal and am satisfied for hours afterwards because I load up on wholesome food. I reach all my nutritional goals for the day, including protein, have all the energy I need, and the weight is finally budging!

Any one can add me too!

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hate to wade into this but Lishie is correct and from experience my wife added 30 lbs to her frame with our 6 lbs 6 ounce baby baby girl. Although she was a very well trained individual before pregnancy she lost the weight from breastfeeding and light exercise when she was recovered enough too - even got her sixer back too.

As far as what your caloric goals should be and as Lishie recommended, they are very very easy to find.

1) WebMD:
    "If you are breast-feeding, your doctor may suggest that you eat more calories each day than otherwise recommended for a person of your height and weight."

2) Healthy Eating:
    General Guidelines
    "In general, most breastfeeding women need about 500 calories more per day than their non-breastfeeding counterparts. This typically adds up to between 2,000 and 2,500 calories per day for women who are trying to maintain their current weight."

Dieting:
    "A nursing mother who is interested in losing weight can safely cut calories to about 1,800 calories per day once the baby has reached 2 months of age. "
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hi people! I am currently on a 1200 calorie per day diet, however I am starting to loose motivation :s I am thinking that if I can get a forum started for people who want to do this with me then maybe we can challenge and inspire one another. I am 5,7 current weight is 218 (I have just give birth to twins 10 weeks ago). I want to loose at least 60 lbs. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks by consuming 1200 calories per day. Anyone interested....nothing wrong with a bit of health competition is there

When I started here, I was 5'7" and 172. I started with 1200 calories and lost muscle mass which meant I was more jiggly, more flabby when I got to my goal weight.

1200 is too low for your height & age. Plus the fact you're a new mom. If you're breastfeeding, you definitely need to be eating more.

I looked into how much you can eat when breastfeeding and apparently it's a myth that you need to eat and drink more as when your pregnant your body lays down fat stores

lostinspace.gif

Perhaps instead of blanketly telling people they don't need to eat more to provide additional nutrients to their child you should site sources.

IMO this is dangerous and disgusting advice.
  • BabyWeight710
    Options
    At 5'7 and 218, 1200 calories is way too low. Especially if you exercise...honestly it is a recipe for disaster. I am trying to lose baby weight too, and stay between 1600-1700 calories. At 1200 calories I was shaky and weak, and my workouts suffered horribly. After a few months, my hair also started to thin out. I think the combination if eating too few calories, with working out about 1.5 hours/5 says a week...it just wasn't enough.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    i normally eat between 1350-1550 but iam up for the challenge
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You people really need to do more research on how many calories you need. If a nursing mom cuts her calories so severely her supply is going to take a major hit. Maybe you all should look into the TDEE method. I'm 5'3 and 145. I eat 1440 a day, lift 4 days a week and am losing roughly a pound a week. Sure if you eat 1200 you will see the scale go down, but along with fat, your body is also eating up your lean muscle to fuel itself. Please listen to some of the posters on here that have been doing this for a while
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calorie diet for a few months now and it def workes for me. I am always under my calorie intake and I have lost 22 pounds. Your stomach gets smaller once you are use to the 1200 limit and its hard to overeat. I am currently 5'3 and at 133 my starting weight was 150.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You people really need to do more research on how many calories you need. If a nursing mom cuts her calories so severely her supply is going to take a major hit. Maybe you all should look into the TDEE method. I'm 5'3 and 145. I eat 1440 a day, lift 4 days a week and am losing roughly a pound a week. Sure if you eat 1200 you will see the scale go down, but along with fat, your body is also eating up your lean muscle to fuel itself. Please listen to some of the posters on here that have been doing this for a while

Welcome to the pro-ana side of MFP...
  • littleaudrey85
    littleaudrey85 Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yikes! So you eat 1200 calories, burn off 900 calories, eat back half of those (450 calories)..so you are netting 750 calories? How on earth do you find the energy to burn off those calories on a 1200 calorie diet? I'm super short, so I need less calories..but I make sure to NET at least 1200 calories and I have no problems losing weight.

And I noticed on your profile that you have hypothyroidism -- so do I. Eating that low of calories is going to F with your metabolism sooo much. I know from personal experience.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »
    I have been on 1200 calorie diet for a few months now and it def workes for me. I am always under my calorie intake and I have lost 22 pounds. Your stomach gets smaller once you are use to the 1200 limit and its hard to overeat. I am currently 5'3 and at 133 my starting weight was 150.

No.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'd like to echo the idea that 1200 is too low. No wonder you're discouraged. I was miserable at 1200 too! But I came in with the mind set that fewer calories = faster weight loss. Unaware at first that it was too aggressive & not a good approach. Then I came to the boards. I read, I researched and I learned. Don't take the advice to eat more the wrong way.

'I can eat more!' was a discovery I celebrated.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hi people! I am currently on a 1200 calorie per day diet, however I am starting to loose motivation :s I am thinking that if I can get a forum started for people who want to do this with me then maybe we can challenge and inspire one another. I am 5,7 current weight is 218 (I have just give birth to twins 10 weeks ago). I want to loose at least 60 lbs. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks by consuming 1200 calories per day. Anyone interested....nothing wrong with a bit of health competition is there

You're losing motivation because you're seriously under-nourished. If you're breastfeeding your twins, you really need to be eating at maintenance + 200-300 at the least. I have consistently noticed a dip in supply if I go below 1500. Even if you're not breastfeeding, think of all the muscle you're losing with such a low caloric intake.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    I'd like to echo the idea that 1200 is too low. No wonder you're discouraged. I was miserable at 1200 too! But I came in with the mind set that fewer calories = faster weight loss. Unaware at first that it was too aggressive & not a good approach. Then I came to the boards. I read, I researched and I learned. Don't take the advice to eat more the wrong way.

'I can eat more!' was a discovery I celebrated.

Oh man I remember my days at 1300 calories. And I wasn't eating exercise calories back at the time, either. I was "fine" and "not hungry" and "fine" anytime someone asked, but man I was hangry and a jerk to the people around me. I was also phoning in my workouts and more prone to losing control of my eating habits at parties. Lowering my weigh loss goals and getting a handle on my expectations was such an eye-opener once I started upping my calories.

1200 calories works great for some people. But it was pretty horrible for me.

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    WNYEj9G.gif

Your beard seems to get more magnificent every time you post that gif.