1200 cal per day challenge!

Replies

• her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    edited February 2015
    Oh my...

I'm a nursing mom and during the entire course of my 14 month span of breastfeeding (so far!), I have yet to eat UNDER 2,500 calories. I still lost weight and am now transitioning into maintenance. I can't figure out the 1,200 calorie thing... most of my dinners are around that.

I'm 5'2", 130lbs, nursing + pumping.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    1200 Cals? Me? Helllll Naw..........
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Doze twin babus' be nature's liposuction. You done need MOAR to eat, nun this 1200 calorie jibbajabba. Enjoy this time in yer life, take care of babus', be well be safe and EAT!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Hi people! I am currently on a 1200 calorie per day diet, however I am starting to loose motivation :s I am thinking that if I can get a forum started for people who want to do this with me then maybe we can challenge and inspire one another. I am 5,7 current weight is 218 (I have just give birth to twins 10 weeks ago). I want to loose at least 60 lbs. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks by consuming 1200 calories per day. Anyone interested....nothing wrong with a bit of health competition is there

When I started here, I was 5'7" and 172. I started with 1200 calories and lost muscle mass which meant I was more jiggly, more flabby when I got to my goal weight.

1200 is too low for your height & age. Plus the fact you're a new mom. If you're breastfeeding, you definitely need to be eating more.

^^^^^^^ This......Listen to this.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    My Advice to all: Find the people that have been successful with weight loss and sustaining that weight loss for some time, and people that are very fit..........listen to what they say. Don't be taking advice from someone that says 1200 calories a day for a breastfeeding mother okay.....that is just irresponsible. This is not a race people. Drop the weight at a pace that is healthy and will still keep you motivated by the results you are getting.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    1200 calories for anyone is way too low!! Stop starving yourself people!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

There are cases where 1200 calories is appropriate. They tend to be older and shorter women.
    But for the vast majority, yes 1200 is too low
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

There are cases where 1200 calories is appropriate. They tend to be older and shorter women.

Especially when breastfeeding!!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Especially when breastfeeding!!!

Exactly. That's scary since at 5'7", itll be hard getting the nutrients YOU need, let alone what a baby needs as well
  • I am currently eating about 1200 cal a day, depending on training days. Make sure you speak with your DR before cutting all those calories since you're nursing. On days that you workout you need to be eating more. There is a big difference between eating 1200 bad calories and 1400 good ones. Eat clean, stay away from processed junk and move around a lot more. Eat lots of veggies, fruit, lean protein and complex carbohydrates.
  • SexyHealthyFit175
    SexyHealthyFit175 Posts: 64 Member
    L
  • lishie_rebooted
    I am currently eating about 1200 cal a day, depending on training days. Make sure you speak with your DR before cutting all those calories since you're nursing. On days that you workout you need to be eating more. There is a big difference between eating 1200 bad calories and 1400 good ones. Eat clean, stay away from processed junk and move around a lot more. Eat lots of veggies, fruit, lean protein and complex carbohydrates.

*head desk*
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    I eat 1200 calories + half of exercise calories because I have a sedentary job. WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU NURSING MOMS DOING ON 1200 CALORIES?????? And how bad do your nails and hair look?

Your challenge is not appropriate for your lifestyle. Go ahead and eat 1200 calories a day when you're not feeding your little ones. But that's not just new-mom exhaustion you're feeling.

Eat more. The weight will come off without the nasty side-effects of malnutrition.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    I am currently eating about 1200 cal a day, depending on training days. Make sure you speak with your DR before cutting all those calories since you're nursing. On days that you workout you need to be eating more. There is a big difference between eating 1200 bad calories and 1400 good ones. Eat clean, stay away from processed junk and move around a lot more. Eat lots of veggies, fruit, lean protein and complex carbohydrates.

IXUO5zJ.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Just dropping this in here

op EAT MORE - you are depriving your children of vital nutrients as well as yourself.

• Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member

*head desk*

^HA! *headdesk* I love this along with *facepalm* Sorry, I giggle every time I see it.

But seriously, I hope people will listen to you lishie, I'm a new mom myself and had breastmilk supply issues due to a low calorie diet (not on purpose, but I got sick right after giving birth and barely ate for 2 weeks).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Hi people! I am currently on a 1200 calorie per day diet, however I am starting to loose motivation :s I am thinking that if I can get a forum started for people who want to do this with me then maybe we can challenge and inspire one another. I am 5,7 current weight is 218 (I have just give birth to twins 10 weeks ago). I want to loose at least 60 lbs. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks by consuming 1200 calories per day. Anyone interested....nothing wrong with a bit of health competition is there

well, I sure hope you're not trying to breastfeed on so little calories. That would be sheer madness.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis

When I started here, I was 5'7" and 172. I started with 1200 calories and lost muscle mass which meant I was more jiggly, more flabby when I got to my goal weight.

1200 is too low for your height & age. Plus the fact you're a new mom. If you're breastfeeding, you definitely need to be eating more.

I looked into how much you can eat when breastfeeding and apparently it's a myth that you need to eat and drink more as when your pregnant your body lays down fat stores

read more reputable sources
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    bradfico wrote: »
    Man...you guys are good...i m finding it hard to keep it under 1500....i m 5'10 nd 183 lbs...i want to shed another 15-20 lbs in 2 months...i try to get myself a max 30 min circuit training at home. Any suggestions on meals so i can keep a healthy diet(getting all macro and micro nutrients) and still keep it under 1200

I suggest you set a more realistic goal.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

well, I sure hope you're not trying to breastfeed on so little calories. That would be sheer madness.

I thought she said she was - but can't find the quote, so maybe I imagined it. Hopefully.